These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: The Price of Change

First post First post
Author
LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#601 - 2014-05-01 21:22:55 UTC
MyHaula wrote:
I may be and most likely am missing the big picture here. But as an established industrialist I feel like I'm getting the shaft from these changes.

Here are a few examples:

* I have gone through the trouble of setting up a corp with standings to anchor a POS in high sec. That's now free

I do not hate this change. While I never minded grinding standing, getting others in a corp to do it sucked... well, flat out never happened. had to boot them for a day, or reform corp and move everyone.

I think it could have been handled bater by just making it corp CEO standing + 1 > sec status. (need the +1 to make it possible to put POS in 1.0). Much easier to make someone CEO for a day then to disband the kick or reform corp.

MyHaula wrote:

* I will now need to either move my BPOs from the manufacturing station they're in, or put them at risk in the POS to research and copy them. Where as now I do not.

Nah... leave then in the station and build, research or copy there. POS is dead.

MyHaula wrote:

* My per job costs look like they will be going up tremendously for all activities, copying, research, manufacturing

Probably like 5%.

MyHaula wrote:

* Mineral prices are likely to go up due to refining changes plus the removal of module mineral compression.

Removing meta 0 was smaller effect on total mineral from loot than drop in melt. Instead of transporting minerlas as ammo and mods, now they will be transported as compressed ore from the new POS compression module. Put up a POS for a few huors, compress ore, put the POS back into station.

MyHaula
Wages Of Sin
#602 - 2014-05-01 21:32:25 UTC
LHA Tarawa wrote:
MyHaula wrote:
I may be and most likely am missing the big picture here. But as an established industrialist I feel like I'm getting the shaft from these changes.

Here are a few examples:

* I have gone through the trouble of setting up a corp with standings to anchor a POS in high sec. That's now free

I do not hate this change. While I never minded grinding standing, getting others in a corp to do it sucked... well, flat out never happened. had to boot them for a day, or reform corp and move everyone.

I think it could have been handled bater by just making it corp CEO standing + 1 > sec status. (need the +1 to make it possible to put POS in 1.0). Much easier to make someone CEO for a day then to disband the kick or reform corp.

MyHaula wrote:

* I will now need to either move my BPOs from the manufacturing station they're in, or put them at risk in the POS to research and copy them. Where as now I do not.

Nah... leave then in the station and build, research or copy there. POS is dead.

MyHaula wrote:

* My per job costs look like they will be going up tremendously for all activities, copying, research, manufacturing

Probably like 5%.

MyHaula wrote:

* Mineral prices are likely to go up due to refining changes plus the removal of module mineral compression.

Removing meta 0 was smaller effect on total mineral from loot than drop in melt. Instead of transporting minerlas as ammo and mods, now they will be transported as compressed ore from the new POS compression module. Put up a POS for a few huors, compress ore, put the POS back into station.

You make some good points, but the overall theme of my complain is still there. These are for the most part a net negative to me and from the perspective of this being a video game I don't see how this is supposed to be terribly exciting as an "expansion".

I agree that some aspects of Industry were broken, and needed a revamp but it'd be nice to see changes rolled out over a larger period of time along with some extra content. Also it'd be nice if they could make them somehow more carrot and less stick.
LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#603 - 2014-05-01 21:50:18 UTC
MyHaula wrote:
You make some good points, but the overall theme of my complain is still there. These are for the most part a net negative to me and from the perspective of this being a video game I don't see how this is supposed to be terribly exciting as an "expansion".

I agree that some aspects of Industry were broken, and needed a revamp but it'd be nice to see changes rolled out over a larger period of time along with some extra content. Also it'd be nice if they could make them somehow more carrot and less stick.

Best theory that I have heard is that the China server demographic is much different . Once upon a time, EVE had super jump gates linking faction capitals, creating trade hubs in each of these. Rens, Dodi, Amarr, Jita We still have these 4 main trade hubs.

China started without the super jump gates, so never developed the 4 trade hub thing. They, as I understand, have only one mega trade hub. The slot and moon limitations are REALLY crushing China players as they can't find slots anywhere near their one trade hub.

That explanation makes sense to me. Turn slots into infinite, but then try to use cost to push people outwards.

On the non-China server, is it really likely we're going to see 1+% of total production in a single solar system as will be necessary to really make the cost thing bite hard?

So, what we're getting is largely to fix a problem that we're not seeing.
Raithe Deninard
Patriot Security Services
#604 - 2014-05-01 22:32:26 UTC
CCP Nullarbor wrote:
Weaselior wrote:
Currently outpost owners have the ability to restrict some or all of the slots to ensure they're open for corp projects. Obviously, with no slots, that's going away, but is it being replaced by anything to "gate" who can use the factory? Can use be limited to specific corps or the like (within the alliance), or is it purely standings-based like the other things you can restrict at a station?

We are still looking at this actually, but yes there will be the ability to set some restrictions per facility instead of per assembly line which you used to do.

Is it safe to assume that we can expect some update to the POS management system? I find it supremely annoying that the only way I can allow my corpmates to install their own jobs into corporate owned manufacturing and researching facilities is to give them an unprecedented level of control over said structures as well as access to a corporate account, especially since the assembly lines already say that they are publicly available. As we live in W-space, allowing members to build there own equipment and ships without the need to annoy someone with the appropriate roles and trust levels in the corporation would be nice. If I've missed some magical button that already allows this I'd appreciate a redirect as the seemingly days of research and trial and error attempts have yielded no helpful results.

As for the rest of the changes to industry, I love the overall concept. I'll wait and see how they end up affecting life out here on the edge.

[u]W-Space:[/u] A place to learn who you are, your friends are, and to praise Bob.

Loraine Gess
Confedeferate Union of Tax Legalists
#605 - 2014-05-01 22:36:32 UTC
Raithe Deninard wrote:
CCP Nullarbor wrote:
Weaselior wrote:
Currently outpost owners have the ability to restrict some or all of the slots to ensure they're open for corp projects. Obviously, with no slots, that's going away, but is it being replaced by anything to "gate" who can use the factory? Can use be limited to specific corps or the like (within the alliance), or is it purely standings-based like the other things you can restrict at a station?

We are still looking at this actually, but yes there will be the ability to set some restrictions per facility instead of per assembly line which you used to do.

Is it safe to assume that we can expect some update to the POS management system? I find it supremely annoying that the only way I can allow my corpmates to install their own jobs into corporate owned manufacturing and researching facilities is to give them an unprecedented level of control over said structures as well as access to a corporate account, especially since the assembly lines already say that they are publicly available. As we live in W-space, allowing members to build there own equipment and ships without the need to annoy someone with the appropriate roles and trust levels in the corporation would be nice. If I've missed some magical button that already allows this I'd appreciate a redirect as the seemingly days of research and trial and error attempts have yielded no helpful results.

As for the rest of the changes to industry, I love the overall concept. I'll wait and see how they end up affecting life out here on the edge.

Make like a hojillion ammo and put it in the ammo box. Cease manufacturing in W-space. Top up as needed.

Why does 5 seconds of thinking produce a better logistics system than your entire corp's existence?
Juin Tsukaya
Perkone
Caldari State
#606 - 2014-05-01 22:39:41 UTC
Loraine Gess wrote:

Make like a hojillion ammo and put it in the ammo box. Cease manufacturing in W-space. Top up as needed.

Why does 5 seconds of thinking produce a better logistics system than your entire corp's existence?

perhaps they make more than ammo?
Quintessen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#607 - 2014-05-01 22:39:42 UTC
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Quintessen wrote:

Yeah, your numbers are way off. Almost worst-case, you're in a station with 15% of all total work.

Copy: (10k * .02) * 300 * 0.387 * 0.98 (for basic station) = 22,760 ISK
Invent: (700k * .02) * 0.387 * 0.98 = 5,310 ISK

Remote case: 1% of all work being done in system

Copy: (10k * .02) * 300 * 0.1 * 0.98 (for basic station) = 588 ISK
Invent: (700k * .02) * 0.1 * 0.98 = 1,372 ISK

That said, I'm still looking for confirmation that the 300-run copy is 300 times as expensive as the 1-run copy.

Your numbers are way closer, but still ignore potential discount for the multi run... the ".99 ^ hours already run" bit, and any potential discount for POS muli faciliteis,

While the multi-run discount is not a big deal on a 10 run copy job (10th is 91% of first), it becomes substantial on a 300 run. By the 50th, you're at 60% cost of first and the 300th is 5% the cost of the first.

It would be REALLY interesting if you put in a job to 20, 300 run BPCs. Are you then getting the additional runs for free?

Oh, wait. the 300 runs is prob one run of copy, with a batch of 20, 300 run where the discount would be. So the 20th BPC would be 83% the cost of the first 300 run BPC.

Invention prob won't get that discount since it is just one invent, not multi-runs.

Yes, I forgot about the station tax, but it's not a major difference here. In the worst case scenario it pushes you towards 25K ISK. I wasn't entirely sure how the multi-run bonus would work here similarly to how I'm not entirely sure how if the BPC really gets multiplied by 300.

If you do the full 300 run and it counts as multiple runs, you're looking at about a 0.985 previous run multiplier along with the 1.1 multiplier for station taxes. That leaves us with:

Copy: (10k * .02 * 300) * 1.1 * 0.985 * 0.387 * 0.98 (for basic station) = 24,660 ISK
Invent: (700k * .02) * 1.1 * 0.985 * 0.387 * 0.98 = 5,753 ISK

Remote case: 1% of all work being done in system

Copy: (10k * .02 * 300) * 1.1 * 0.985 * 0.1 * 0.98 (for basic station) = 637 ISK
Invent: (700k * .02) * 1.1 * 0.985 * 0.1 * 0.98 = 1,497 ISK
Loraine Gess
#608 - 2014-05-01 22:40:46 UTC
Juin Tsukaya wrote:
Loraine Gess wrote:

See: "Cease manufacturing in W-space."
Juin Tsukaya
Perkone
Caldari State
#609 - 2014-05-01 22:42:36 UTC
Loraine Gess wrote:
Juin Tsukaya wrote:
Loraine Gess wrote:

See: "Cease manufacturing in W-space."

don't see it, please link. not trying to be difficult
Loraine Gess
#610 - 2014-05-01 22:43:48 UTC
Juin Tsukaya wrote:

don't see it, please link. not trying to be difficult

ctrl+f
Quintessen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#611 - 2014-05-01 22:44:22 UTC
Raithe Deninard wrote:
CCP Nullarbor wrote:
Weaselior wrote:

I, too, would love an answer to this. This may end up being partially solved since you will be able to build blueprints from containers which can have individual settings. But, again, not so great especially given our limited 7 divisions. I imagine the seven division limit is also a result of the legacy Corp code and isn't likely going to be fixed any day soon.

What I can't find is if, under this new system, we're going to be able to place resources in containers too? Though placing containers means that you'll quickly burn through your actual storage. It's not a good solution, and I would love to see a good solution. Maybe in the Winter release.
Raithe Deninard
#612 - 2014-05-01 22:45:37 UTC
Loraine Gess wrote:
Raithe Deninard wrote:
CCP Nullarbor wrote:
Weaselior wrote:

Setting aside the fact that it simply easier to produce T3s in a place where we can quite easily attain all of the materials required to build them, what about research? We have no stations to allow for remote researching, which as of the summer release doesn't matter, so we still have no way of simply allowing people to use the labs that we are more than willing to allow them to use.

[u]W-Space:[/u] A place to learn who you are, your friends are, and to praise Bob.

Raithe Deninard
#613 - 2014-05-01 22:51:10 UTC
Quintessen wrote:
Raithe Deninard wrote:
CCP Nullarbor wrote:
Weaselior wrote:

I, too, would love an answer to this. This may end up being partially solved since you will be able to build blueprints from containers which can have individual settings. But, again, not so great especially given our limited 7 divisions. I imagine the seven division limit is also a result of the legacy Corp code and isn't likely going to be fixed any day soon.

What I can't find is if, under this new system, we're going to be able to place resources in containers too? Though placing containers means that you'll quickly burn through your actual storage. It's not a good solution, and I would love to see a good solution. Maybe in the Winter release.

Hmmm, I missed the part about being able to build from containers. Can you link that for me or which blog was that in? That may solve some of the difficulties assuming that building from a container doesn't require the manage factory role, etc to install the job. Thanks

Skalle Pande
Teknisk Forlag
#614 - 2014-05-01 23:13:07 UTC
Medalyn Isis wrote:
Qorinn Eselle wrote:
The economic logic behind the installation cost calculation eludes me. Making the installation cost for a manufacturing job correlate directly to the sell price of the completed item in a given region doesn't make much sense.

The cost to manufacture an individual BMW has nothing to do with the final sticker price at the dealership, let alone an average of sticker prices in a particular region over a given time.

I somewhat agree with you here. This is a crude method for working out the cost. Surely it would be more logical for the cost to be based upon the amount of m3 of materials being used in the process. That would make logical sense, and would also roughly correlate to more expensive items being more expensive to manufacture.

It would also have the added bonus of being immune from price manipulation. I don't like the idea of fluctuating costs depending on the going market rate for the finished product, it will not be enjoyable to calculate that.

Also it reeks of opportunism by the greedy NPC corporations. :)

Actually, letting the installation cost depend on m3 of materials seems like a very very sensible idea - those workers and especially their unions will definitely make sure that if they have to shift a larger amount of stuff they will have a larger pay. It will be an added bonus to well researched blueprints, it will be immune to manipulation, and it will by and large yield the same general result. There is plenty of variability in the other factors - number of facilities, number of industrialists in system, etc. Market price is a random factor in this respect. Volume matters.
Loraine Gess
#615 - 2014-05-01 23:35:04 UTC
Raithe Deninard wrote:
Loraine Gess wrote:
Raithe Deninard wrote:
CCP Nullarbor wrote:
Weaselior wrote:

Setting aside the fact that it simply easier to produce T3s in a place where we can quite easily attain all of the materials required to build them, what about research? We have no stations to allow for remote researching, which as of the summer release doesn't matter, so we still have no way of simply allowing people to use the labs that we are more than willing to allow them to use.

You don't need your entire corp to manufacture T3s. Put them in the hands of the trusted few only. Nobody needs to poke anybody.

You do not need to research in a WH. By choosing to do so you are purposely introducing inefficiences. This behavior will NEVER be rewarded.
Odoya
Aeon Abraxas
#616 - 2014-05-02 00:39:16 UTC
There is a lot to digest, but at first read, these changes seem to be based more on an interest in statistical models than in interesting game play. The changes seem to ignore the relationship of markets (Jita), market transparency, supply and demand and logistical factors that increase value or expense. Market transperancy is really just theory and a statistical model takes away from that idea as a game play motivator.

"What we're doing instead is setting the base price for a job based on two factors: the cost of the job output, and what fraction of the universe's total job-hours are being done in a given system."

Why use a relative value such a fraction of total job-hours? It's an interesting applicaton of math but does it really make sense in a game based on the idea of hyper capitalism? Where do real world parallels exist? They really don't because all kinds of political aspects manipulate and prevent "true cost" accounting methods. A percentage against total job hours implies a perfect accounting method that demotivates gameplay style because why bother looking for opportunties to exploit? Using this logic, then pricing should be viewable not by region, but game wide.

If you want a floating pricing model, it'd make sense to tie a system modifier to it's proximity to volume and pricing of sales. And, why not increase the sales tax on an item based on the volume and rate of items being sold such that it costs more to sell an item in Jita (due to administrative overhead and access to market distribution expertise) than say in a less active selling system? The closer an item is produced to a market hub, the more expensive the costs become because the proximity to the market implies a better competitive edge. Conversely, why not lower prices for products made further away from hubs based on volume and cost (not just cost). These are relatively easy problems to which statistical analysis can be applied.

Tying the modifier to cost of job output or the cost of an item may actually work exactly the opposite to what "real" market forces might dictate, especially if kill mail cost is the slighest bit wonky. Pricing on a ship may go up because of basic market inefficiencies and here the incentive produce is offset by "punishing" a natural response to demand (ie to meet the need which brings down the market price). I predict this will result in player frustration because many entrants into the market are slow to discern market trends, tend to over produce and will lose more in terms of overproduced stock for reasons that are due mainly to an unrealistic model for creating expenses.

Why not tie in some notion of logistics (distance) and regional politics. Charge sales taxes based on differences in regions and hops traveled. Charge not based on total job hours but on job variance - retooling a production line to produce a carrier that normally produces frigates makes more sense from an industrial perspective. And, why charge POS jobs in any way? POS owners already pay fuel costs and charter costs in high sec.

Create incentives to spread out by giving people a reason to sell in places other than Jita and add value to the other element of industry which is logistics. The potential to add value to high end game resources such as jump freighters truly opens up if you factor in these ideas instead of trying to solve not a game play issue but a dev concern.
Quintessen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#617 - 2014-05-02 01:36:03 UTC
Odoya wrote:
"What we're doing instead is setting the base price for a job based on two factors: the cost of the job output, and what fraction of the universe's total job-hours are being done in a given system."

Why use a relative value such a fraction of total job-hours? It's an interesting applicaton of math but does it really make sense in a game based on the idea of hyper capitalism? Where do real world parallels exist?

While not commenting on the other things you wrote, percentage of global hours worked actually works pretty well to simulate demand of manufacturing labor. It doesn't well describe supply which is being treated like a uniform whole.

All-in-all they could have done a lot worse.
Odoya
Aeon Abraxas
#618 - 2014-05-02 01:54:26 UTC
[quote=Quintessen

While not commenting on the other things you wrote, percentage of global hours worked actually works pretty well to simulate demand of manufacturing labor. It doesn't well describe supply which is being treated like a uniform whole.

All-in-all they could have done a lot worse.
[/quote]

I would agree if we were talking about something like a national model or a tighter model like EU regulation. But the cost of labor in China does not really map to the cost of labor in the US in the way described as a percentage of total job hours. And, I think the eve dynamic more matches a "global" economy than a regional one. This is why I said political forces (easily represented by the 4 different races) have such an impact. Not every producer has equal access to that cheap labor force either. The average small business owner cannot go to China and produce products on the same scale that say a Walmart can. Is this a tempest in a teapot - sure. But so are the fees we're talking about relative to the game expenses. I would hate to end up in a game situation akin to having to track down all the items now represented by a POS fuel block, but I think the proposed solution does not involve some of the best competitive elements or ideas in and around the game.

Market inefficiences are really market opportunities, usually because not everyone has equal access to the resrouce in question. I think the desire to avoid future development or game logic headaches is good (and appreciated it) but I do not see this explanation / logic as enhancing game play.
Khan'nikki
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#619 - 2014-05-02 02:06:21 UTC
Dear CCP Grayscale,

Let's talk 'Office Space'.

NPC corps in my view should be autonomous living breathing adapting entities of their own. This would include their mini empire building game - where there is a dynamic as to how they own stations, number of factory lines, research lines, agents and growing pains.

Right now they don't seem to compete or change based on game dynamics. If what they are putting into the economy affects players - by offering capacity and availability - then this relationship should somehow be altered by the participants actions and the environment.

For example,
a) If 'Calamari' want to build in a lowsec fw Gal-Mil station and then lose the system this should be somehow factored in there.
b) Maybe Brutor dont want certain things built by Amarr - like those nasty slicers - undercutting them. Job delays.
c) Sebiestor need more AB's on the market, thus putting out manufacturing missions. You build they sell.
d) You're pretty high up in standing and would like the Wyrkomi NPC corp to add a factory to your home station .. diplomacy!
e) If you want more Freedom, find it outside of Empire or get in line.

At the same time the participants should be able to to alter the capacity available:
f) Have an office? Add a Lab and share it out. NPC empire Alliances take a lion's share of course. That would be incentive to move outward a bit. Since we're partners Kiddo, you get 2 slots most of the time.
g) Want an office in Jita - we can build it for You, at a price.

Wouldn't the Sandbox look nicer as an ocean front ?

Cheers!

Kun'ii Zenya
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#620 - 2014-05-02 03:44:33 UTC
Lena Lazair wrote:
Kun'ii Zenya wrote:
So no, it is not immediately clear everyone will simply flock to Nonni and produce there. In fact assuming no upper bound on the fraction of global job hours, if that were to happen--i.e. everyone started building in Nonni, why then the multiplier for fraction of total job hours would be 1. That is, your abaddon would cost you 310 million to manufacture.

I didn't say Nonni; I said a small cluster/hub. A small cluster/hub is certainly going to be more busy and central than the back-water system I currently use with my POS. I already get random wardecs in the middle of nowhere as it is; I can't imagine it staying off the radar post-summer with labs making it an obvious target. And at that point I either forgo my own research or find a location with research facilities (which, I believe, there are ~300 of in hisec). And at THAT point, why wouldn't I just move everything there?

We know that the vast majority of POS's in hisec are for research, and the vast majority of those people are not going to put expensive BPOs in them post-launch. I certainly won't. That means finding station research facilities at a place I think is far enough out of the way that it won't be super busy, where office rent will stay reasonable, and where lower mfg usage will not drive prices up too high. But I know I won't be the only small scale industrialist looking for a place like that to replace my back-water research POS/mfg station setup.

Other industrialists will be congregating around the hisec research systems too, and how big your operation is will determine how close to a trade hub you can pick for your new home. But no matter which one I pick, I can guarantee it will be busier than the truly out-of-the-way system I use now. Those systems with nothing but a single mfg station and a solo/small industry corp running a POS for research will empty out completely.

Sure, the compression array looks promising, but even then, same story... I will have already moved my operations to a cluster/hub. There is no standing for anchoring a POS now, plus no security restriction, so a ton of new hisec systems just opened up. IF the compression array is worthwhile, I'm just going to anchor a new POS somewhere near my new-found research cluster to take advantage of it.

Doesn't matter what the name of the system is really. The point is if everybody goes there then the price of jobs will sky rocket which will induce people to move.

As for BPOs in POS' and risk that will depend on a host of factors, to say you'll never ever do it, is just as stupid as saying you will always do it.