These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: The Price of Change

First post First post
Author
LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#581 - 2014-05-01 18:22:10 UTC
Quintessen wrote:
Halia Thorak wrote:
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Halia Thorak wrote:
I'm a bit confused how Invention will work with this system... will i have to pay 3 times to invent and produce something? one to copy one to invent one to produce? That sounds like as an inverter I'm going to get bent over and ***** sideways. Please someone correct me if I'm understanding this wrong.

Actually.....
4 times.

Pay to copy (T1 item cost produced by the BP you are copying * .02 * system variable costs * runs)
Pay to invent (no bloody idea how they're pricing theis one but lets assume the normal)
Pay to build the components needed for T2. (convert the goo into engine bits and armor stuff and electronic things)
Pay to assemble the final ship from the components.

Assuming the copy will run off of the price of the T1 variant, We can also assume that the invention job will run off of the T2 Variant.

So lets take a Damage Control II (easy numbers to make a point)

10000 for Damage Control I
700,000 for Damage Control II

Copy : (9800 * .02) * 1.1 * 300 * 20 = 63,360 (ONE Max run BPC ready for invention)
Invent : 700,000 * .2 * 1.1 = 154,000 (Per BPC invention try...)

lets assume a VERY generous 50% success rate

each run of -4 -4 will cost you = 434,720

That's a pretty gigantic loss considering BPO owners wont have to shell out a cent of that, lets face it they will be sitting in Jita 4-4 producing even easier them before.

CCP I think its about time you give us your calculations please. My math can't possibly be right, because you've just hit invention profitability with a giant nerf bat.

Any extra cost on Invention over BPO owners just means you're printing more isk for them and making prices to up... if anything you should be looking at narrowing the gap not making it larger.

Yeah, your numbers are way off. Almost worst-case, you're in a station with 15% of all total work.

Copy: (10k * .02) * 300 * 0.387 * 0.98 (for basic station) = 22,760 ISK
Invent: (700k * .02) * 0.387 * 0.98 = 5,310 ISK

Remote case: 1% of all work being done in system

Copy: (10k * .02) * 300 * 0.1 * 0.98 (for basic station) = 588 ISK
Invent: (700k * .02) * 0.1 * 0.98 = 1,372 ISK

That said, I'm still looking for confirmation that the 300-run copy is 300 times as expensive as the 1-run copy.

Your numbers are way closer, but still ignore potential discount for the multi run... the ".99 ^ hours already run" bit, and any potential discount for POS muli faciliteis,

While the multi-run discount is not a big deal on a 10 run copy job (10th is 91% of first), it becomes substantial on a 300 run. By the 50th, you're at 60% cost of first and the 300th is 5% the cost of the first.

It would be REALLY interesting if you put in a job to 20, 300 run BPCs. Are you then getting the additional runs for free?

Oh, wait. the 300 runs is prob one run of copy, with a batch of 20, 300 run where the discount would be. So the 20th BPC would be 83% the cost of the first 300 run BPC.

Invention prob won't get that discount since it is just one invent, not multi-runs.

Halia Thorak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#582 - 2014-05-01 18:26:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Halia Thorak
Quote:
Your numbers are way closer, but still ignore potential discount for the multi run... the ".99 ^ hours already run" bit, and any potential discount for POS muli faciliteis,

While the multi-run discount is not a big deal on a 10 run copy job (10th is 91% of first), it becomes substantial on a 300 run. By the 50th, you're at 60% cost of first and the 300th is 5% the cost of the first.

It would be REALLY interesting if you put in a job to 20, 300 run BPCs. Are you then getting the additional runs for free?

Oh, wait. the 300 runs is prob one run of copy, with a batch of 20, 300 run where the discount would be. So the 20th BPC would be 83% the cost of the first 300 run BPC.

Invention prob won't get that discount since it is just one invent, not multi-runs.

Good Point i forgot about the multi run discount, would be interesting how they factor that in.

Also a good point to add on that is that a T2 BPO/BPC can run 300 runs with giant discount

T2 Invented BPC can only a piddly 10...
Barton Breau
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#583 - 2014-05-01 19:13:51 UTC
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
Kun'ii Zenya wrote:
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:

Correction: 2% of product value, not of BPO value. Any work where the output is a Covetor BP (original or copy) will be keyed to 2% of the price of a Covetor.

A covetor costs ~30m isk. 2% of 30m is 600k.

I currently value the production cost of a Covetor BPC at 115k isk.

I had to go back and reread the blog to make sure I understood. I think people are missing something on copy cost, or I am adding something in.

Manufacture: Price of item * cost % (let's go with 14%) = cost

Copy: Price of item bp produces * 0.2 = "value" of BPC produced. That value * cost % = cost.

So, if a covetor is 30M, then the BPC would be valued at 600K, and then the cost multiplier is applied to that.

60M * 0.02 * 0.14 = 168K

Adding the 168K to the price of the ship,

If you are doing the copy at a POS in a low use system with only 1% flored tax.

60M * 0.02 * 0.01 = 15.6K for the copy

The ramification is that if I am doing the copies in a POS at a rarely used system with 1% tax, I can crank out copies for 1/14th the cost of making copies in station.

In a worst case, where I'm getting 4% on POS and you're getting 11% in station, I'm making copies at 1/3rd the cost of making copies in station.

I stand by my belief that there will be a lot of 1-player alt corps with a very hardened, large, high-sec POS, and an alt-login/logout hell to deliver and re-start copy jobs.

No, you are leaving out the POS fuel costs. Fueling the POS for a month means you'll spend at least 100 million isk for a small.

Now maybe that will let you crank out a whole bunch of BPCs, and the price per copy isn't that horrendous, but a POS is not free.

Edit, and 400 million/month for a large. You better make a whole lotta BPCs. To get back at the 168,000 price you'll need to make almost 2,400 BPCs.

I operate a Large POS with lots of lines that we share among corp members.
40 blocks * 18k per block / 3600s/hr gives an operational cost of 200 isk per second. If you are using 20 lines at the POS, that's 10 isk / second per line. A 300 run BPC takes 2 * 12000s * 10 isk / s * 0.5 (Skill and POS time modifier) = 120k isk in fuel costs for a Max Run Module BPC.

It can be difficult to keep 20 lines running 24/7 all month for a solo player, but it isn't that hard for a group of players.

So im reading trough the thread and this is not the first time this has appeared.

I am confused, i was under the impression that the 100-400m fuel cost was per month, 30 days, isnt it?

Thus it begs the question, as WHY you would choose to have a industry POS, if you are unable to gain the worth of 4-16 HOURS of l4 missioning using it over the course of 30 DAYS ?

What am i not getting?
Korthan Doshu
Doomheim
#584 - 2014-05-01 19:17:08 UTC
Quintessen wrote:
Halia Thorak wrote:
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Halia Thorak wrote:
I'm a bit confused how Invention will work with this system... will i have to pay 3 times to invent and produce something? one to copy one to invent one to produce? That sounds like as an inverter I'm going to get bent over and ***** sideways. Please someone correct me if I'm understanding this wrong.

Actually.....
4 times.

Pay to copy (T1 item cost produced by the BP you are copying * .02 * system variable costs * runs)
Pay to invent (no bloody idea how they're pricing theis one but lets assume the normal)
Pay to build the components needed for T2. (convert the goo into engine bits and armor stuff and electronic things)
Pay to assemble the final ship from the components.

Assuming the copy will run off of the price of the T1 variant, We can also assume that the invention job will run off of the T2 Variant.

So lets take a Damage Control II (easy numbers to make a point)

10000 for Damage Control I
700,000 for Damage Control II

Copy : (9800 * .02) * 1.1 * 300 * 20 = 63,360 (ONE Max run BPC ready for invention)
Invent : 700,000 * .2 * 1.1 = 154,000 (Per BPC invention try...)

lets assume a VERY generous 50% success rate

each run of -4 -4 will cost you = 434,720

That's a pretty gigantic loss considering BPO owners wont have to shell out a cent of that, lets face it they will be sitting in Jita 4-4 producing even easier them before.

CCP I think its about time you give us your calculations please. My math can't possibly be right, because you've just hit invention profitability with a giant nerf bat.

Any extra cost on Invention over BPO owners just means you're printing more isk for them and making prices to up... if anything you should be looking at narrowing the gap not making it larger.

Yeah, your numbers are way off. Almost worst-case, you're in a station with 15% of all total work.

Copy: (10k * .02) * 300 * 0.387 * 0.98 (for basic station) = 22,760 ISK
Invent: (700k * .02) * 0.387 * 0.98 = 5,310 ISK

Remote case: 1% of all work being done in system

Copy: (10k * .02) * 300 * 0.1 * 0.98 (for basic station) = 588 ISK
Invent: (700k * .02) * 0.1 * 0.98 = 1,372 ISK

That said, I'm still looking for confirmation that the 300-run copy is 300 times as expensive as the 1-run copy.

See here: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4526400#post4526400
Korthan Doshu
Doomheim
#585 - 2014-05-01 19:22:07 UTC
LHA Tarawa wrote:

Chances are the bonus won't be /that/ huge, although it will be nice to have. From the dev blog post:

CCP Greyscale wrote:
Multi-run discount: makes each subsequent run of a given job cost a little less than the last, mainly to give another small thing that industrialists can optimize for once they've got the basics under control. For each run, the job cost is multiplied by 0.99 raised to the power of however many hours (or fractions thereof) the job will already have run at that point. This is calculated at installation time and therefore the job doesn't actually change price over time. Rather, we do the math up front. We're looking to cap the maximum bonus of this using the old Material Efficiency skill, which will no longer be affecting waste (see previous blog).
Juin Tsukaya
Perkone
Caldari State
#586 - 2014-05-01 19:23:30 UTC
invention costs based on output.

output is a t2 bpc, market value... there is none.
input value, cost of datacores, R.db, reports or datasheets, etc
invention sounds cheap

then you move onto manufacturing of said t2 bpc costs of input v's output argument
LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#587 - 2014-05-01 19:29:11 UTC
Halia Thorak wrote:
[My understanding is its the ((Item cost *.02) *system variable * the "NPC" tax) * the number of copies.

You're also assumuing no NPC tax in your calculations in which cause we would have to use posfuel per hour which is more expensive. Rather then us coming up with numbers I'd like to see CCP give us some. The have plenty for everything else but invention.

You are correct, I forgot to assume station.

So let's assume:
10K for a DC I.
1 run of "300 run copy" of DC1
5% for usages, adjusted for faciliteis.
10% for being in station

cost = 10K * 0.02 * 0.05 * 1.1 * 300 = 3300 ISK (11 ISK per "run")

A batch of such BPCs would get discount .99^hours already run..

So the 20th in a batch would cost 3300 * 0.99^19 = 2726 ISK
Halia Thorak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#588 - 2014-05-01 19:30:07 UTC
Juin Tsukaya wrote:

invention sounds cheap

then you move onto manufacturing of said t2 bpc costs of input v's output argument

Yet another good point, if it is indeed the T2 BPC that sets the value it could be really vulnerable to market manipulation as there's a very small amount being traded.
LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#589 - 2014-05-01 19:36:15 UTC
Juin Tsukaya wrote:

invention sounds cheap

Any time the output is a blueprint, then the value of the output is 2% of the cost of the item that the blueprint creates.

So, if a DC II is 700K, and the invention job produces a 10-run copy, then the "value for cost calculations" of the 10 run BPC is 10 * 700K * 0.02 = 140K.

That 140K then gets multiplied by the system usage and then 1 + the NPC station tax. Say 5% and 10%.... 140K * 0.05 * 1.1 = 7700 ISK.

Yes, compared to the 100Ks to Ms for other inputs, the actual invention job cost will be a rounding error.

LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#590 - 2014-05-01 19:39:54 UTC
Halia Thorak wrote:
Juin Tsukaya wrote:

invention sounds cheap

Yet another good point, if it is indeed the T2 BPC that sets the value it could be really vulnerable to market manipulation as there's a very small amount being traded.

There is no market value for BPC. Market value for BPO is WAY higher than average thing it produces (you have to make 1000s to 10Ks for most items to make back the cost of the M0 BPO). This is why CCP decided that for S&I cost scaling calculation, the "fake" market price of a BP is 2% of the value of the item produced by the BP.

Korthan Doshu
Doomheim
#591 - 2014-05-01 20:02:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Korthan Doshu
double post, please delete
Korthan Doshu
Doomheim
#592 - 2014-05-01 20:06:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Korthan Doshu
Barton Breau wrote:
So im reading trough the thread and this is not the first time this has appeared.

I am confused, i was under the impression that the 100-400m fuel cost was per month, 30 days, isnt it?

Thus it begs the question, as WHY you would choose to have a industry POS, if you are unable to gain the worth of 4-16 HOURS of l4 missioning using it over the course of 30 DAYS ?

What am i not getting?

This is an important question, and it's the penultimate question every one of us industrialists will be asking ourselves after the expansion hits. You are correct that the tax savings from using a starbase to do research would probably never justify the fuel costs of a starbase by themselves.

TLDR: Starbases will be justified mainly by assembly arrays; assembly arrays will be justified in part by NPC station tax savings and ME depending on the item; the biggest reason for using assembly arrays will be time savings.

Consider the formula for taxes on a damage control II:

BPC of Damage Control I assuming 5% congestion cost and one .99% station bonus ignoring multi-run bonus since we don't have full numbers yet:
12,000 * .02 * .99 * .05 * 300 * 1.1 = 3920.4

Invention for Damage Control II with same assumptions:
700,000 * .02 * .99 * .05 * 10 * 1.1 = 7623

Let's say we double it to make our expected number of successful inventions 1. We'd just double those costs. So for a single 10-run BPC of Damage Control II, on average, we're looking at ~23,086. Across those ten runs, it's roughly 2,300 ISK per unit. That's less than half a percent of the sale price of a DCII.

To manufacture off the blueprint, let's say again we've got 5% congestion, a .99% station bonus and ignoring the multi-run bonus. Looking at the per-unit numbers we've got...
700,000 * .99 * .05 * 1.1 = 38115

Wow, so for just a single Damage Control II we're looking at manufacturing congestion costs that are an order of magnitude bigger than the research-related ones. They're also in the 5% range of manufacturing costs, which is something noticeable enough to try to reduce to improve margins. If you're concerned about my leaving out the multi-run bonus, let me say that there's just no way the multi-run is going to make the research costs involved get closer to the manufacturing costs. What does that mean?

Well, looking at the status quo, starbases and other advantages mainly involve getting research capacity because manufacturing capacity is plentiful. In the future, starbases and other advantages will come from getting manufacturing efficiency because manufacturing costs are expensive.

The main thing you'll get off the starbase at first will be getting rid of the 10% NPC tax. Let's knock that off of manufacturing costs and we've got...
700,000 * .99 * .05 = 34650

By manufacturing out of a starbase you've already saved more money than your copy/invent jobs cost you per unit, 3465. But to get to even 100,000,000 off a starbase from this advantage, you'd have to run (where X is throughput volume per month)

X * .99 * .05 * 1.1 - X * .99 * .05 = 100,000,000 or
X * .99 * .05 * (1.1 - 1) = 100,000,000 or
X * .99 * .05 * (.1) = 100,000,000 or
X * .00495 = 100,000,000 or
X = 20,202,020,202

That's just twenty billion ISK. Run that much through the POS and you've made back the fuel. Although it's a stretch, it's not impossible to do that if CCP lets you have a lot of characters running through just a few arrays (i.e. because no slots).

But wait, there's more.

First, you get a 2 ME bonus on material costs. That doesn't mean much on invent items or especially on DCIIs (low per-unit counts of all inputs so I'm assuming the 2% gets rounded to 0% on most inputs), but on some things (mineral-heavy items) you could see that supplementing the NPC tax savings very quickly.

Second, you get to run things through the starbase faster. Right now you get 25% off the manufacturing time at an equipment assembly array, and you're going to get even more time off after the patch. But assuming you made 300,000 ISK per DCII including all costs, if you can make 25% more of them, for the same amount "time" you will be making 375,000 ISK. You will also be able to recoup those NPC tax savings more quickly. Now, this bonus might be more or less worthless depending on what your workflow looks like. If the invention BPC takes 10 hours instead of 13, that might not help you much. But what if it makes it take 22 instead of 30? The time difference can be huge or small depending on how you live and how much you check EVE. (Note: these workflow benefits might also result in people using MLs/AMLs, but that seems unlikely to me on modules since no slots means 3ish hour jobs for everything; it might be more relevant with T2 ships though.)

Outside of the invention world, getting to make 25% of a T1 commodity might be a huge deal. If there's some frigate out there (not saying there is one) where you make 3% margins on 400,000 ISK at 22 units per day, you can suddenly make 29 units per day for a 31% increase in total profit. Those benefits could apply in the invent world if you make your own T1 items and components, too.

So, assuming whatever bonuses/costs get associated with array numbers at a starbase, really this will come down to some very nitty-gritty details about volumes ran through the starbase, workflow benefits, T1 vs. invention, etc. But in general, yes, starbases will be harder to justify in this brave new world unless CCP comes up with some amazing new bonuses.
Juin Tsukaya
Perkone
Caldari State
#593 - 2014-05-01 20:06:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Juin Tsukaya
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Juin Tsukaya wrote:

invention sounds cheap

Any time the output is a blueprint, then the value of the output is 2% of the cost of the item that the blueprint creates.

So, if a DC II is 700K, and the invention job produces a 10-run copy, then the "value for cost calculations" of the 10 run BPC is 10 * 700K * 0.02 = 140K.

That 140K then gets multiplied by the system usage and then 1 + the NPC station tax. Say 5% and 10%.... 140K * 0.05 * 1.1 = 7700 ISK.

Yes, compared to the 100Ks to Ms for other inputs, the actual invention job cost will be a rounding error.

editted for clarity forgot to add in the price of the original bpo.

so it would be cost of original bpo, datacores, various assundries then per hour and installation costs as the price. why the value of the item being created when that is actually considered in the manufacturing cost.

thats like taxing the same item twice. once in invention then again in manufacturing.
LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#594 - 2014-05-01 20:14:16 UTC
Halia Thorak wrote:

Also a good point to add on that is that a T2 BPO/BPC can run 300 runs with giant discount

T2 Invented BPC can only a piddly 10...

Oh.. yeah... to the scaling cost....

In a system with 5%* usages cost scaling (after discounts for facilities) at NPC station.

Let's say the output is a 1 million ISK mod. 1M * 0.05 * 1.1 = 55K ISK to run the first.

10th is then 50.2K

300th is 2.7K

* I am not sure 5% is really how high fees are likely to be. I suspect people will spread out more, except in null, where they are, and will remain, VERY lumpy.
LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#595 - 2014-05-01 20:25:22 UTC
Juin Tsukaya wrote:

so it would be cost of original bpo, datacores, various assundries then per hour and installation costs as the price. why the value of the item being created when that is actually considered in the manufacturing cost.

thats like taxing the same item twice. once in invention then again in manufacturing.

No, the BPO cost plays NO part in the calculation.

NONE of the cost calculations are based on cost of inputs. They are based on the value of the OUTPUT!

For most things, that means the market value of the item produced by the job.

BPO/BPC are special things since the BPO market price is very high and the BPC doesn't have a market price. SO, for BP, the "value of the output" is 2% of what the BP produces (times runs for BPC copy job).

The value of the OUTPUT (or fake value based on 2% of what it creates in the case of BP) is then multiplied by the cost scaling, discounts, tax, etc.

Cost of INPUTs only plays a secondary role, in that it effects the market price of the output item.

So, the cost of input to an invention job gets spread out over the runs of the output BPC, effecting the price of the output item... Then 2% * usage based cost % of those costs get added back in the next run. Because copy/research is such a tiny % of total cost, and then only a small fraction of that cost ends up in the next round, costs added to items will quickly become a rounding error rather than an inflationary spiral.

Juin Tsukaya
Perkone
Caldari State
#596 - 2014-05-01 20:31:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Juin Tsukaya
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Juin Tsukaya wrote:

No, the BPO cost plays NO part in the calculation.

NONE of the cost calculations are based on cost of inputs. They are based on the value of the OUTPUT!

For most things, that means the market value of the item produced by the job.

BPO/BPC are special things since the BPO market price is very high and the BPC doesn't have a market price. SO, for BP, the "value of the output" is 2% of what the BP produces (times runs for BPC copy job).

The value of the OUTPUT (or fake value based on 2% of what it creates in the case of BP) is then multiplied by the cost scaling, discounts, tax, etc.

Cost of INPUTs only plays a secondary role, in that it effects the market price of the output item.

So, the cost of input to an invention job gets spread out over the runs of the output BPC, effecting the price of the output item... Then 2% * usage based cost % of those costs get added back in the next run. Because copy/research is such a tiny % of total cost, and then only a small fraction of that cost ends up in the next round, costs added to items will quickly become a rounding error rather than an inflationary spiral.

ah, I didnt make myself understood. was talking the change of using input price versus output price instead.

It would just make better sense in my opinion on the use of input v's output argument and possible implementation. Apologies if I frustrated you on that.

besides with T2's, the use of decrypters will change the input value of costs rather than output of the actual item to be sold. the ships will still sell for about the same but cost of materials can change dramatically
Barton Breau
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#597 - 2014-05-01 20:42:25 UTC
Korthan Doshu wrote:
Barton Breau wrote:

What am i not getting?

/snip

Outside of the invention world, getting to make 25% of a T1 commodity might be a huge deal. If there's some frigate out there (not saying there is one) where you make 3% margins on 400,000 ISK at 22 units per day, you can suddenly make 29 units per day for a 31% increase in total profit. Those benefits could apply in the invent world if you make your own T1 items and components, too.

/snip

I guess my confusion stemmed from my lack of comprehension of why you would set up, move and click stuff for 264k a day thus making even a relatively small cost of the fuel very significant.

Is the situation that hardcore or is it a playstyle choice?
Juin Tsukaya
Perkone
Caldari State
#598 - 2014-05-01 20:45:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Juin Tsukaya
Barton Breau wrote:
Korthan Doshu wrote:
Barton Breau wrote:

What am i not getting?

/snip

/snip

I guess my confusion stemmed from my lack of comprehension of why you would set up, move and click stuff for 264k a day thus making even a relatively small cost of the fuel very significant.

Is the situation that hardcore or is it a playstyle choice?

I think playstyle choice and possibly the small time manufacture for self v's huge corporation manufacturing in the billions for strategic cruisers and the like. Also dont forget the advantage of the specialized work crews is systems
MyHaula
Wages Of Sin
#599 - 2014-05-01 21:10:37 UTC
I may be and most likely am missing the big picture here. But as an established industrialist I feel like I'm getting the shaft from these changes.

Here are a few examples:

* I have gone through the trouble of setting up a corp with standings to anchor a POS in high sec. That's now free

* I will now need to either move my BPOs from the manufacturing station they're in, or put them at risk in the POS to research and copy them. Where as now I do not.

* My per job costs look like they will be going up tremendously for all activities, copying, research, manufacturing

* Mineral prices are likely to go up due to refining changes plus the removal of module mineral compression.

* I have put effort into getting a perfect refine which will no longer be perfect after the changes.

There are a few changes that I like such as the POS compression module and being able to have a truly "perfect" BPO, but overall I don't see why as an older player I should be excited about these changes as they seem like they'll just make my life harder and more expensive wth few benefits to offset that.

My feedback as a longer term player is that I'd rather see you expand the game, and introduce new content ala wormholes etc rather than spending as much time as you have revamping existing mechanics.
Jethrow Toralen
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#600 - 2014-05-01 21:22:42 UTC
From the rookier reaches: I was very negative about the reproc changes, positive about the research changes, and am ambivalent about these industry changes. Some concerns that economic power will be further concentrated and that the changes, ahem, add *too much* interest (ie players at the lower end - not the ones set up optimally - but younger highsec accts, perhaps only in NPC corps, must keep tabs on so many variables just to make sure they are not running at a loss that it becomes unfun - players who are trying to be rational about their manufacturing that is, there seem always ppl who sell at a loss)

An earlier poster gave a current manufacturing cost for the Abaddon of <10k compared to the devblog example of 4-10mill. I looked at a Catalyst for comparison which go for about 1.1mill on the market and they cost about 1.5k to make now, which would rise to 22-55k, working on 2-5%. The margin on entry level manufacturing is not very big, so 2-5% is quite a bit.

I am expecting that manufacturers will be less able to pass the increased costs onto buyers of lower end stuff, than for more expensive items. So perhaps those that have the resources will move to higher value items, where even with the same margin, the profit for a button click is much greater in isk per hr.

Quote:
CCP Greyscale
Ok, well let me try and alleviate that concern by again saying no design decision that I've been party to has been changed in any way by considerations involving ISK sinks. The reasoning for why we've gone down this road was laid out at the start of the blog, and that's the truth. It's of course up to you whether you choose to believe me or not :)

I'm a believer... for now ;) (Still not over the Recall voting). Pace, other posters who say 'Inflation!', the increase in manufacturing costs seems appreciable and deflationary. Inflation does not seem to be much of a problem, except for PLEX, so hopefully the reproc changes will move ppl into blitzing missions and generating isk that way, and the increasing cost of PLEX will return some isk to the money supply from the wealthy in EVE who are themselves functioning like temporary giant isk sinks. (Only if they are using the PLEX for something other than accumulating more isk of course)