These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

What is it like running a corporation...? In my eyes.

Author
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#21 - 2014-04-07 17:56:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Inxentas Ultramar
I cannot stress the importance of delegation. You cannot do everything yourself. Well.. actually you can, if you aspire to be some hisec octopus multiboxing their business empire. I am very lucky to have two excellent Executive Directors with enough experience to feel confident FC-ing PVP ops up to a certain scale, as well as to dump a POS in some place or handle recruitment. Sure, you should not hand out roles willy-nilly, that's dumb... but having a few trusted people that can handle day-to-day business takes a lot of stress out of CEOship.

The only real downside I could think about, is that your have very little time to sneak in some PVE. Because if anything goes on RIGHT NOW people are going to look in your direction and expect you to act, and you should. For me thats a small freedom to sacrifice in a game that will kill you at every turn if you turn stupid or are found wanting, and part of the challenge.
Teyr Schmitt
An Errant Venture
#22 - 2014-04-07 18:06:44 UTC
Doll Face wrote:
Stuff

Calling bullcrap on this.

If you started at age 16 and you're now 28, you would have been in EVE beta or have a birthday that is DAMN close to launch.

You say you started with wormholes? They were only launched under 5 years ago.

Quote:

1) No. This is just untrue. Try mining Thorium in Venture Co. on a busy Saturday night and see how much Tauren **** you have to ****

First, not EVE. second, he said off-peak hours, not PEAK hours.

Quote:
Most wars can be easily avoided by keeping your mouth shut in local. I know it sounds harsh but if you don't tick the 'scumbags' off they usually have nothing to bite into.

....speaking of, where the hell is Cannibal Kane.......?

I wonder, does he only appear when you say his name, like Candlejack?

Because, really, what are the odds of
Doireen Kaundur
Doomheim
#23 - 2014-04-07 18:10:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Doireen Kaundur
When I saw your avatar, I thought of Futurama's MOMCorp. Now THAT'S a way to run a corporation. Blink

LOVE™ - tradmark of MomCorp. Big smile

_[center]For your Freighter **sized shipping needs, contact _[u]Lord Chanlin[/u].** _ Fast, affordable, reliable service._

https://gate.eveonline.com/Profile/Lord%20Chanlin[/center]

Precentor Saggitus
Planet Express Transport
#24 - 2014-04-07 18:22:28 UTC
Running a Corp (or guild, or whatever) is a tough job. Above all its a time eater, and certainly the rise in reward for it isn't on par with the rise in work it requires. "Herding Cats" is right if maybe the cats were more selfish, lazy, uncooperative and whined more. Just like running a real life business, running a corp really relies on getting the right people. Running a corp in EVE is probably harder since the people are generally less trustworthy since everyone wants to be the next big corp thief and many players will step over their own mother for another kill mail. Kudos to any who will take on that mantle.

To boot, one has a lot of competition out there for people and space. An unfortunate thing in EVE I feel is that there isn't a lot of room for new entities to form and wedge their way in, so the goal of getting somewhere (ie taking one's own bit of space to call home) is a long up hill one. There will always be more people who want to tear down what you create than to help build it.

Few people understand the psycology of a highway traffic cop. Your average speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow.

Doll Face
Crown Corp Proprietaries
#25 - 2014-04-07 21:24:02 UTC
Just wanted to update myself on here and say thank you all for the lovely replies.

I stress again, you're all right that my dates and activities were certainly wrong. Whether I was simply scanning, or scanning wormholes, or whether it was later in my years than I thought, you're right.

Certainly, internet time passes much quicker than real life, so I may have been 23 at the time and not 16. None-the-less, the story stands true with a few brain-fart errors.

On the second half, running the corporation; I really enjoyed hearing what people have had to say. It's interesting to see how many of us, creators and benevolent dictators, must resort to harsh actions and such because of the "nature of the beast".

Whether that's the age of the player, the game mechanics, the general attitude, or something else.. It seems like there are not many options for doing it much differently. The difference is WHAT each corp does, since we all pretty much do it the same in the end.

Whatever the case, if I'm wrong or not, I find the whole ordeal very interesting and would like to especially say that I've enjoyed the opinions and experienced replies that've helped me gather my thoughts a little more.

If anyone enjoyed this post, please be kind enough to like it for me. Maybe I could write another some time. Maybe I create an OOC blog category on the Eridium website? Who knows.

<3
Fly safe
Doll
Precentor Saggitus
Planet Express Transport
#26 - 2014-04-07 21:28:48 UTC
The mistakes are understandable, I think running a corp aged me a bit too much too. Easy to lose track of time.Blink

Few people understand the psycology of a highway traffic cop. Your average speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow.

Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#27 - 2014-04-08 21:24:08 UTC
I've been playing for a while now. I don't know how people who run real corps (mine is not) do it. It's so much work! Where do you find the time?

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Erufen Rito
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#28 - 2014-04-08 21:30:35 UTC
Man, this hit right at home. I came to think at one point that I hated playing Eve. But it was more like I hated running a corporation, so I delegated a lot of the tasks, and it didn't get any better :p

Now I am a happy average Joe in space.

This is as nice as I get. Best quote ever https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4137165#post4137165

Ficti0n
Job Center Plus
#29 - 2014-05-01 14:33:58 UTC
Inxentas Ultramar wrote:
I cannot stress the importance of delegation. You cannot do everything yourself. Well.. actually you can, if you aspire to be some hisec octopus multiboxing their business empire. I am very lucky to have two excellent Executive Directors with enough experience to feel confident FC-ing PVP ops up to a certain scale, as well as to dump a POS in some place or handle recruitment. Sure, you should not hand out roles willy-nilly, that's dumb... but having a few trusted people that can handle day-to-day business takes a lot of stress out of CEOship.

The only real downside I could think about, is that your have very little time to sneak in some PVE. Because if anything goes on RIGHT NOW people are going to look in your direction and expect you to act, and you should. For me thats a small freedom to sacrifice in a game that will kill you at every turn if you turn stupid or are found wanting, and part of the challenge.

It's a long-con. We want your secret management stash. Cheers inx Big smile
Barbara Nichole
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#30 - 2014-05-01 16:32:03 UTC
Always figure wardecs into your corporate plan... it's a cost of doing business. Your members need to know they are coming and they need to know what your official response is going to be .. before hand so there is no confusion and or disruption.

Membership attrition is also going to happen. You will find a small percentage who will remain through thick and thin but that's not the norm. If you aren't actively trying to grow you will be shrinking. This also part of the plan that you should put into play. Try not to do all the recruiting yourself - you need more than one recruitment officer.

- remove the cloaked from local; free intel is the real problem, not  "afk" cloaking -

[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/DawnFrostbringer/consultsig.jpg[/IMG]

Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2014-05-01 17:02:47 UTC
It is very difficult for a hisec corp to come up with a raison d'être that will hold corp mates together. Without that you just have people held together for social reasons and its easy enough for wardecs to tear that apart. If you have a goal then I wouldn't sweat the people who leave as that is going to happen. You have goals, they have different ones. This is a game, so no one should sit around in a corp being unhappy because they can't do what they want to do. A lot of pilots seem to have some sort of unnatural connection to their current corp. If you are not having fun and you can't turn the corp towards your direction of fun, then leave. Some where in the galaxy there are people who share your interests.

In reality most hisec corps have no reason for existence that couldn't be solved by a shared chat channel and everyone sitting in 1 man corps for tax purposes. That is bad game design in my humble but accurate opinion, but it is the way it is. I see POCOs and the industry changes coming up as attempts to change that though.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."

Asteroid VeIdspar
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2014-05-01 17:46:33 UTC
Running a corp is the amazing experience that exposes human behavioral patterns. Even if everything is fun, smooth and peachy people (aka 'directors') will find the way to shake up the tree. It doesn't matter that they will end up in much worse position, with less assets and income leaving the trail of their own wrecks. They will still rinse and repeat their urge to feed the internet space ego again and again.

Agent Smith: Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery.

I had a lot of fun doing this, but then again I'm enjoying Eve as 'The Average Joe' much more.
Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#33 - 2014-05-01 18:14:47 UTC
I can't speak for running a High-Sec corp, since I have only co-ran a 0.0 corp in the past. However it is one of the most gratifying, annoying, banging head on wall, fulfilling experience I have had in Eve.

Some tips:

Delegation is key. Getting a "inner circle" of leaders who you feel comfortable with delegating responsibilities to. Trying to do it all on your own will not only burn you out, but will also alienate you from many within your corp.

Being goal oriented. Setting a short, mid, long term goal is important as it allows you and your corp to have a unified vision on what to expect and what to work towards.

Breaking the ice in PvP/Risk aversion. As you have already witnessed, you can't escape combat pvp. Probably the best thing to do is either get your pilots familiar with combat, add on a combat division, or have a contingency plan to avoid Decs. One idea is to do a temporary relocation during a dec, either to low-sec or set up shop in a WH during that time frame. Obviously both those issues won't hide you from PVP, but it will give your members a change of pace, and dealing with pirates, WH attackers would be better off than dec griefers. Or you could try relocating across empire during decs, but wheres the fun in that. However as I stated you will need to try and remove the fear of PVP from your pilots, which isn't easy to do.

Having a democracy is a nice notion, but terrible in Eve.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Sable Moran
Moran Light Industries
#34 - 2014-05-01 19:12:17 UTC
Doll Face wrote:
I wrote this once already and lost it because of the IGB lol.

Before you click that 'POST' button, Ctrl-A + Ctrl-C it really does save your bacon.

Sable's Ammo Shop at Alentene V - Moon 4 - Duvolle Labs Factory. Hybrid charges, Projectile ammo, Missiles, Drones, Ships, Need'em? We have'em, at affordable prices. Pop in at our Ammo Shop in sunny Alentene.

Previous page12