These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Allow jump drives to work with any isotopes

Author
Casey AtThe Bat
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-04-29 22:17:40 UTC
How about removing the restriction for jump drives to use only a single isotope, and replace it with...

A jump drive works best on its home race's isotopes. Other isotopes can be used, but at reduced efficiency (say 25%). Perhaps a chance penalty will occur with off-racial isotopes, such as 5% hull damage on each use or some such silliness to represent the engines having issues.

The parallel CCP always draws to isotopes is oil. There are even dev quotes about this. Well, various fractions of oil are gasoline, kerosene, propane, bunker oil, etc. If an engine is sufficiently robust, it should run on any kind of combustile fuel (albeit at awful efficiency, RIP compression ratio and ignition timing). So, why not let our jump drives run on any kind of isotope?
Carmen Electra
Row Row Fight the Power
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#2 - 2014-04-29 22:24:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Carmen Electra
Casey AtThe Bat wrote:
How about removing the restriction for jump drives to use only a single isotope, and replace it with...

A jump drive works best on its home race's isotopes. Other isotopes can be used, but at reduced efficiency (say 25%). Perhaps a chance penalty will occur with off-racial isotopes, such as 5% hull damage on each use or some such silliness to represent the engines having issues.

The parallel CCP always draws to isotopes is oil. There are even dev quotes about this. Well, various fractions of oil are gasoline, kerosene, propane, bunker oil, etc. If an engine is sufficiently robust, it should run on any kind of combustile fuel (albeit at awful efficiency, RIP compression ratio and ignition timing). So, why not let our jump drives run on any kind of isotope?


That's definitely not possible. The oil analogy is simply there for a point of reference. The science behind jump drives is far more complex than a gas powered engine. The quantum entanglement module relies on very precise calibration to be able to properly embiggen the nuclei of whatever fuel (oxygen, helium) is required for THAT specific drive to enable the reverse-flux-jiggification necessary for the jump.

-1
Casey AtThe Bat
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2014-04-29 22:35:50 UTC
Carmen Electra wrote:


That's definitely not possible. The oil analogy is simply there for a point of reference. The science behind jump drives is far more complex than a gas powered engine. The quantum entanglement module relies on very precise calibration to be able to properly embiggen the nuclei of whatever fuel (oxygen, helium) is required for THAT specific drive to enable the reverse-flux-jiggification necessary for the jump.

-1



wiggity wam wam wazzle do some science to the nozzle and retcon the damn thing, thus success!
Sato Page
Auctor Illuminatas Infinitum
#4 - 2014-04-29 23:25:14 UTC
No.

Dinsdale Pirannha for [u]CEO [/u]of [u]CCP[/u]

Creedeth
New Eden Trailer Park
#5 - 2014-04-30 15:21:20 UTC
Actually, this could be balanced if certain things are balanced correctly.

Imagine this:

We allow the complex reaction of fuel that is way more potent, but at the same time limited because of the mix.
Blueprint Interbus Intense Isotopes
1, Helium Isotopes
1, Hydrogen Isotopes
1, Nitrogen Isotopes
1, Oxygen Isotopes
1, Nanite Repair Paste

Item Interbus Intense Isotopes
0.015 m^3


This means that new fuel will make it easier to move farther, but at a much higher cost.
Thus balancing it out, you have two options. You decide what its worth.

And really worth it as the price will be around 20k per Intense Isotopes.
Axe Coldon
#6 - 2014-04-30 15:35:29 UTC
Carmen Electra wrote:
Casey AtThe Bat wrote:
How about removing the restriction for jump drives to use only a single isotope, and replace it with...

A jump drive works best on its home race's isotopes. Other isotopes can be used, but at reduced efficiency (say 25%). Perhaps a chance penalty will occur with off-racial isotopes, such as 5% hull damage on each use or some such silliness to represent the engines having issues.

The parallel CCP always draws to isotopes is oil. There are even dev quotes about this. Well, various fractions of oil are gasoline, kerosene, propane, bunker oil, etc. If an engine is sufficiently robust, it should run on any kind of combustile fuel (albeit at awful efficiency, RIP compression ratio and ignition timing). So, why not let our jump drives run on any kind of isotope?


That's definitely not possible. The oil analogy is simply there for a point of reference. The science behind jump drives is far more complex than a gas powered engine. The quantum entanglement module relies on very precise calibration to be able to properly embiggen the nuclei of whatever fuel (oxygen, helium) is required for THAT specific drive to enable the reverse-flux-jiggification necessary for the jump.

-1


Allow us to change the engine? Put a minnie jump drive on a caldari jf for instance?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Jason Coldheart
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#7 - 2014-04-30 17:20:28 UTC
I like the idea +1
Katherine Raven
ALTA Industries
Intergalactic Conservation Movement
#8 - 2014-04-30 17:50:21 UTC
Creedeth wrote:
Actually, this could be balanced if certain things are balanced correctly.

Imagine this:

We allow the complex reaction of fuel that is way more potent, but at the same time limited because of the mix.
Blueprint Interbus Intense Isotopes
1, Helium Isotopes
1, Hydrogen Isotopes
1, Nitrogen Isotopes
1, Oxygen Isotopes
1, Nanite Repair Paste

Item Interbus Intense Isotopes
0.015 m^3


This means that new fuel will make it easier to move farther, but at a much higher cost.
Thus balancing it out, you have two options. You decide what its worth.

And really worth it as the price will be around 20k per Intense Isotopes.


The point of the OP post wasn't to make a better fuel, but to allow to swap isotopes in an emergency.

I suspect the type of situation he is thinking of is jumping to a station, and realizing you forgot to refill your fuel bay before you left (or left the extra in your last station instead of moving it to your fleet hangar.) You check the market and surprise surprise, no one has any of YOUR isotope for sale, lots of the others, just not yours.

With the proposed change you would be able to top up your tank on some other isotope in a desperate bid to get home, at a huge increase in cost and consumption.

I'm not %100 against this, but at the same time, isn't fuel management part of the risk you take anytime you are moving a ship with a jumpdrive? I'm sure more than one capital has died due to mismanaged fuel or similar problems, and that's not a bad thing. Double check everything before you hit that jump button. (Oh crap I meant Bridge! Bridge! CRAP! Oh god no hostiles on grid, PLEASE no hostiles on grid!)
Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#9 - 2014-04-30 18:24:08 UTC

Why?

As it is now, this creates demand for specific isotopes. It creates interesting hurdles when someone interdicts a specific isotype type. It creates logistics issues when you're flying the "odd ship type". These are good problems for the game, and I don't understand why you want to remove them?

You haven't listed any concrete reason to implement this change. So NO!