These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Subscription Cancellation

First post
Author
fenyar attica
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-04-30 11:12:39 UTC
Hey guys,

I was just wondering whether cancelling your subscription to the game with delete your characters--I really enjoy the game but will not be able to be online much in the near future.
Solecist Project
#2 - 2014-04-30 11:13:46 UTC
First!

Can I have your stuff???

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Electrique Wizard
Mutually Lucrative Business Proposals
#3 - 2014-04-30 11:14:01 UTC
It wont.

I am the Zodiac, I am the stars, You are the sorceress, my priestess of Mars, Queen of the night, swathed in satin black, Your ivory flesh upon my torture rack.

Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#4 - 2014-04-30 11:14:20 UTC
Your characters will be fine.
Cat Troll
Incorruptibles
#5 - 2014-04-30 11:15:19 UTC
Character will exist forever.
Well, not "forever", CCP MIGHT delete some very very inactive characters after a very very long time.
I'm talking 5 years + of not logging in.

Lolwut: "Yes, you kids don't know how lucky you have it. These days noobs get given free tackle ships for PvP but back in the old days the only tackle ships we were given were our pods. We had to use them to bump their rookie ships out of alignment to stop them warping off."

Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#6 - 2014-04-30 11:16:04 UTC
fenyar attica wrote:
Hey guys,

I was just wondering whether cancelling your subscription to the game with delete your characters--I really enjoy the game but will not be able to be online much in the near future.

No not at all, your characters are safe until you come back

Like, literally for years and years

You have to take the decision to biomass(delete) them yourself

CCP has said it keeps characters pretty much forever

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2014-04-30 11:16:24 UTC
fenyar, the pink blob needs you!

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Pirmasis Sparagas
Bullet Cluster
#8 - 2014-04-30 11:18:08 UTC
It wont delete your characters, so don't worry.
When you have time/money you can renew your subscription, and your character will be where you left it.

The only thing what will happen is that your character will not be learning Skill Points. So if you have money but not time, I still recommend not to break your subscription and learn very long skills. So when you have time, your character actually will be better and already learned "that long and boring" skills
Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#9 - 2014-04-30 11:21:02 UTC
Not unless
EVE is dieing™
I've rage quit at least three times... Cool

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Cebraio
4S Corporation
Goonswarm Federation
#10 - 2014-04-30 11:33:21 UTC
Cat Troll wrote:
Character will exist forever.
Well, not "forever", CCP MIGHT delete some very very inactive characters after a very very long time.
I'm talking 5 years + of not logging in.

They will not even do that. Why should they? Characters, their assets and skills are just some records in a few database tables. Nothing that takes considerable amount of space.
Sirinda
Ekchuah's Shrine Comporium
#11 - 2014-04-30 11:43:34 UTC
Eh, a while ago I tried to get a friend to restart their account.

Turns out it didn't exist anymore. Make of that what you will.
Arline Kley
PIE Inc.
Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris
#12 - 2014-04-30 11:46:15 UTC
Sirinda wrote:

They do archive out User Accounts on occasion (so I believe). A message to Customer Support with as many of the relevant details will help get them back into space! ( RP answer: A Concord Seek-and-Recover team gets sent out to find the pilot)

"For it was said they had become like those peculiar demons, which dwell in matter but in whom no light may be found." - Father Grigori, Ravens 3:57

Viantha
NOVOS
Mercenary Coalition
#13 - 2014-04-30 11:48:12 UTC
I've been unsubbed for a year and a half before, characters still here
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2014-04-30 12:02:22 UTC
Space for character data is something that CCP will never run out of.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#15 - 2014-04-30 12:10:33 UTC
Your character is three years old. Even if CCP ever does go ahead and free up abandoned characters from the namespace, I strongly doubt they'll touch anything that went beyond the trial period. You'll be fine.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Jenn aSide
Shinigami Miners
ChaosTheory.
#16 - 2014-04-30 12:26:47 UTC
Man, I saw the title to this thread and I clicked on it all ready for a fight against someone pissed off about some internet video game change who would then be trying to extort CCP by threatening to withhold 15 U.S. dollars until they change their minds. My hand was poised over the "might I acquire your as of now useless items perchance?" hotkey I set up.

Then I read the OP and get even madder at the fact that it's actually a reasonable and honest request for information. THAT is not the General Discussion way sir and/or madam.

BURN the HERETIC.
Tauranon
Weeesearch
CAStabouts
#17 - 2014-04-30 12:41:28 UTC
fenyar attica wrote:
Hey guys,

I've been unsubbed a few times over my career. I still have all my stuff and characters.

Dreadchain
Lavateinn
#18 - 2014-04-30 12:44:23 UTC
Sirinda wrote:

CCP have said they haven't deleted a single account as of date, although they only guarantee to keep them for a number of years.

He's probably just forgotten the username/email, either way, customer support should be able to assist him.

www.minerbumping.com

Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#19 - 2014-04-30 13:13:16 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Man, I saw the title to this thread and I clicked on it all ready for a fight against someone pissed off about some internet video game change who would then be trying to extort CCP by threatening to withhold 15 U.S. dollars until they change their minds. My hand was poised over the "might I acquire your as of now useless items perchance?" hotkey I set up.

Then I read the OP and get even madder at the fact that it's actually a reasonable and honest request for information. THAT is not the General Discussion way sir and/or madam.

BURN the HERETIC.

I know.

I am SOOoooo bored today Ive been little more than friendly and helpful in all my posts.

Francine: Roger, is being nice killing you?

Roger: My people need to let our bitchiness out. Otherwise it turns to bile and poisons us.

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

GM Nythanos
Game Master Retirement Home
#20 - 2014-04-30 14:26:46 UTC  |  Edited by: GM Nythanos
Accounts are left as-is, so your characters will be in the same condition when you return as when you left. EVE itself might be different, if your character was docked in a 0.0 station you may come back to them and find the station has changed hands(multiple times even) for example.

Sirinda wrote:

Your friend can file a ticket for assistance in locating the account if they're running in to difficulty locating it. Either through the website (http://community.eveonline.com/support/support-tickets/) or by emailing support@eveonline.com

I don't recall us having wiped inactive accounts at any point though.

GM Nythanos | Senior Game Master

12Next page