These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Industry UI

First post
Author
Gargep Farrow
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#241 - 2014-04-30 00:03:32 UTC
From all the blogs released so far (as of 7:52 EST 4/29/14) this is the only one leaving me feeling positive.

As I tend to do best with hands on, I will not comment on the UI until I get to play with it in full, but having read all 12 pages of comments and Dev responses, I am inclined to believe it will be an improvement overall.
Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#242 - 2014-04-30 14:57:49 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:
In the industry update, will we be able to select multiple BPC to run several invention jobs at once or will we still have to run each job individually?

If it's going to stay the same as it is now, you are doing it wrong CCP. There is no gameplay benefit to the current system and all it does is induce tedium and repetitive strain injury on the player base.

Bump
Uncle Shrimpa
Lap Dancers
Brothers of Tangra
#243 - 2014-04-30 15:54:42 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:
Rek Seven wrote:
In the industry update, will we be able to select multiple BPC to run several invention jobs at once or will we still have to run each job individually?

If it's going to stay the same as it is now, you are doing it wrong CCP. There is no gameplay benefit to the current system and all it does is induce tedium and repetitive strain injury on the player base.

Bump

they have answered SEVERAL times

Individually, although the second and future ones are single click

They **want** to do batch runs, but it certainly won't be in summer

CCP Greyscale -Yup, we have data on what happens currently, but we're expecting those use patterns to change substantially when this release. There's a degree of "suck it and see" happening here :)

Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#244 - 2014-04-30 16:48:04 UTC
Thanks for the information. I would have though batch runs could have been done before adding new features like "teams", but hey...
Quintessen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#245 - 2014-04-30 20:08:18 UTC
I would really like to know what's going to happen with the existing S&I UI since you said Invention and Reverse Engineering aren't going to be in the summer release.

Are we still going to be able to use the old UI for manufacturing and research?
Kblackjack54
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#246 - 2014-05-01 19:11:50 UTC
Quintessen wrote:
I would really like to know what's going to happen with the existing S&I UI since you said Invention and Reverse Engineering aren't going to be in the summer release.

Are we still going to be able to use the old UI for manufacturing and research?

Hope so, but don't hold your breath in my view, reading through the various 'Dev Blogs' over the past eighteen months, got the impression that the various groups are in touch with each other less and less as time passes, more a competition now for who can come up with the worst mess they can devise and get it into game the quickest.

Seems the two things they really are scared to approach is PoS and Sov coding, all giving excuses as to why they cannot do this or that and why we have to wait to get things done because of those two issues.

Better in the view of most players to scrub the bling updates for a couple of years and get EVE sorted code and infrastructure wise than muck, 'Polite Description' around like they are doing now, seems taking a Sony to the head really has messed you guys up.
Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
Masters of Flying Objects
#247 - 2014-05-02 01:32:57 UTC

I was hoping the new UI would enable way for players to work together.

The game needs a way to indicate i am building this for this persons other job so peoples completed jobs feed other peoples work in process, kinda like PI works.

It also needs a way for community world building so we can click on a object/ station that a player as requested the pilots around him help build and the players can see in game what parts are still needed and how long till the in space item is built.

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

Khan'nikki
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#248 - 2014-05-02 03:05:09 UTC
Dear CCP Arrow,

-- On Science

I write about the comment on how most researchers use their BP's to build themselves. Well, its because as a researcher it is not easy to sell your BP's - copies or originals - outside of contracts. There is no UI for this. There is no other market mechanism.

Yeah you could go to a trade channel. You can find ways to do it... But after all is said and done you're pretty much stuck with it. The standard tier levels for ME/PE seem like a step in this direction by changing the grain. I hope so.

T2 bp's are a hard sell as well with their varying ME/PE fixed on create. Would it be nice to be able to improve on T2 BPC's?
Once again there is no way to outsource/insource these tasks. Maybe I don't know metallurgy but someone in Corp/Alliance does.

Within a corp BP ownership is a touchy subject. Sometimes corps have an incredible amount of blueprints but in the absence of internal mechanics it is hard to share the knowledge base. Perhaps if I could upload it to the mainframe or Corp Databank the resource would become available to copy/research. Just brainstorming.

Right now science is not supported through the contracts nor through corp interactions. How can I trigger a buyback order on a blueprint that is not identical and is no longer in my inventory ?

-- On Industry
It'd be nice to split up large jobs into chunks and get many workers on it.

It would be nice to buy/sell directly from MOONS/PLANETS and have it support industry (and science). Just like the fuel block was a home run, adding a paid fuel/mat transfer at these points would be wonderful. We wouldnt get that Daytona high 100 octane smell in space though. Maybe something like a Cigar Machine, you pay, out comes container with goods. Also a purchaser - we buy fuel blocks at 'x' price, insert block into bin, Ka-ching!

However, would be nice to see which mats I'm missing to build something and place an order for it right from the BP. It would be nice to click from the BP and have it 'find in inventory' or 'find in corp' that Sylramic Fiber I need. I know I have a boatload somewhere.

It would be nice to know what was the last price I paid for a mat with one click too ( Find in Wallet transactions ).

It would be nice to have a history of the mats that went into the job, and the result. If we can get an estimate on the Kill Mail .. we should get one on the Build Mail.

From the wallet/transactions it would be nice to jump to where the stuff went so I can contract courier it..
.. and when I'm in space and click a station to place a buy order on the market, that it copy that price, that station.

When stuff does arrive in the corp deliveries it'd be nice to have a 'Deliver To' better than what we have now. I can't imagine a corp with 1000 ppl using a dropdown/scrolling window to pick to whom it goes. With few ppl it was challenging.

Most of my private contracts go to the same ppl/corps. Favorites over Search please. Yes, there are other Characters with 'KHAN' in the name .. but only one Khan'nikki.

Doing great.

Thanks!

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#249 - 2014-05-02 12:23:15 UTC
Just seen it in the FF2014 stream, why is there so much wasted space in the Industry preview window when an item is shown that has no 3D model? Why not make it consistent and don't show the 3D model and instead the Icon altogether, like in the first concept? There would be so much more space for displaying useful information. It is, furthermore, not like you see a lot in this tiny preview window to begin with.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Terminator 2
Omega Boost
#250 - 2014-05-03 00:50:11 UTC
I can only hope you have thought about people using low resolutions and that the new UI is not fixed width and will scale accordingly to be usable.

There are industry people with multibox research and trade setups afterall.
Aluka 7th
#251 - 2014-05-03 06:14:50 UTC
So can someone confirm that new summer expansion will be deployed on June 3rd?
I thought summer is the period from the summer solstice (usually 20 or 21 June in the Northern Hemisphere) to the autumn equinox.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#252 - 2014-05-03 10:39:24 UTC
Aluka 7th wrote:
So can someone confirm that new summer expansion will be deployed on June 3rd?
I thought summer is the period from the summer solstice (usually 20 or 21 June in the Northern Hemisphere) to the autumn equinox.

June 3rd.

The last summer expansion. Blink

(They're moving to a more flexible 6 week release cadence.)

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Banko Mato
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#253 - 2014-05-03 14:00:27 UTC
Might have missed it, but will we be able to look into all POS modules remotely? Meaning that we can still start jobs from another system according to our network skill?
HighlanderUK
Interstellar Business Machines Corp.
#254 - 2014-05-03 15:00:48 UTC  |  Edited by: HighlanderUK
would be extremely helpful to up the limits of LAB & FACTORY jobs -- been playing for 10 years, and 11 of each job is a joke, especially factory jobs, where i'm doing a lot of building/selling for the local region/systems. Appreciate you will be removing slots, but does this mean i can do 20 or 30 build jobs if i want, or does this just mean no Q'ing??

Even allowing the same with Contracts, have corp based and individual jobs.

Also need 305 order limit raised.....
SpacePhenix
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#255 - 2014-05-03 15:50:58 UTC
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
Nalha Saldana
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#256 - 2014-05-03 20:54:35 UTC
I hope you realize that there are 45 different combinations of input items to invent, for example, a Medium Remote Armor Repairer and you will need a awesome UI for me to be able to compare these.
Odoya
Aeon Abraxas
#257 - 2014-05-05 10:31:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Odoya
Centurax wrote:
Looks really good, cant wait to try it out.

The thing I would still like to see is maybe a unit/batch cost based off of the market average and a job total based on that, then maybe have a comparison against the market item (to see if it is even worth building the product).

I'd love to see accounting functionality added to these UI changes, like the ability to assign a cost to set of minerals or parts that go into a build, along with the ability to track a 'batch cost" per builds. I'd even argue to tie this accounting function to toon skill books to unlock these portions of the UI. This type of accounting functionality would pull me back into the game UI and away from Google docs...
Echo Mande
#258 - 2014-05-05 10:50:31 UTC
Overall this UI looks like a big improvement over what we have now. I've been running a manufacturing POS for a few years so except for the remote copy issue I'm not really worried overall. There is one thing I'm wondering (and worried) about.

Is it possible to force a delay into the start of a job? What I'm talking about is: is it possible to set up a job (any job) so that it only starts a set time after being submitted?

With the current slot system one of the things I like is that when I'm inventing (with several toons) I can stack sets of jobs so that I can load jobs and go do something else for several hours. With the upcoming system it looks like I might end up loading a bunch of jobs and have to come back every 75 minutes as well as having to pay a small fortune in lab load charges.

Forcing job delays should make for more efficiently run POSses by spreading loads (copy, invention, manufacture) out over time, especially time when the player(s) are asleep/at work/at school/getting mindbogglingly drunk/shooting each other.

Quintessen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#259 - 2014-05-05 18:39:10 UTC
SpacePhenix wrote:
NO NO NO NO NO... NO

YES YES!
Kusum Fawn
Perkone
Caldari State
#260 - 2014-05-07 06:08:42 UTC
Is there a fast way to sort bpc on the hanger floor of the personal hanger? deliver to personal cans from the personal hanger floor?

Say i have a mixed bunch of pbc and i want to sort them by number of runs remaining. any way to move them from the UI to cans?

currently there is no way to see how many runs are on a bpc other then right clicking it, If i have a mixed group I can see that i have a mixed group in the current UI but there is no way to sort them into cans from the S&I interface. and so i must still right click everything to get the right bpc into the correct locations.

does your new S&I interface actually have any useability changes? or is it all flashy lights to distract us from the fact its not useful?

Its not possible to please all the people all the time, but it sure as hell is possible to Displease all the people, most of the time.