These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Kronos] Pirate Faction Battleships

First post First post First post
Author
Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#1501 - 2014-04-28 14:34:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Gypsio III
Mournful Conciousness wrote:
Since you did not see fit to address any of my questions, I will ask you again, this time more simply:

"Please give me an example of when I ought to prefer bringing a new rattlesnake to a fight than, say, a navy dominix?"

Did I miss some new logistics feature of the rattlesnake that would redeem it?

The shield resist bonus is a kind of logistics feature, tbh.

In fleet environment, RS is superior to shield NavyDomi because of better resists, more EHP, greater or same DCR, superior lock range, superior DPS at any range against almost all realistic targets, greater survivability of drones vs. bombs and more efficient use of the drone assist mechanic.

In small gang environment, neutron ASB navyDomi outdamages a RHML RS, but the RS has more EHP, better resists, a neut, better DPS projection and is less vulnerable to ewar. If you have the painter/Crash support to enable use of Rage torps, the damage is about even too.
Fabulous Rod
Darkfall Corp
#1502 - 2014-04-28 14:46:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Fabulous Rod
Here is an rattlesnake that your customers won't despise you for. The proposed changes are totally unnecessary, very drastic and waste your customers time and money, and force them to train for other more effective ships.

All the snake needs are more high/mid/low slots to come in-line.

RATTLESNAKE

Gallente Battleship Bonus:
10% drone damage and hitpoints

Caldari Battleship Bonus:
4% bonus to all shield resistances

Role Bonus:
50% bonus to Cruise missile and Torpedo max velocity

Slot layout: 6H, 8(+1)M, 6L; 0 turrets, 5 launchers(+1)
Fittings: 10000 PWG, 710 CPU
Defense (shields / armor / hull) : 12750 / 8940(-358) / 9960
Capacitor (amount / recharge / cap per second) : 5350(+38) / 1154000ms / 4.59
Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass / align time): 94 / .128 / 99300000 / 18.45s
Drones (bandwidth / bay): 125 / 400
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 75km / 100 / 7
Sensor strength: 30
Signature radius: 450(-10)
KaDa en Bauldry
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1503 - 2014-04-28 15:26:02 UTC
Not quoting with quote
"What the intelligent people were saying was that the loss of missile velocity bonus was unnecessary and the bonus helped overall DPS by allowing faster target switches when sniping"

Not doing the same math again replying to a troll just to get deleted again.

But the essence of it:
More dps = Faster killing times.
Faster killing = Faster target switch.

Inside the almost 110 km drone range, the old snake kills things faster only in exotic scenarios, or with one salvo when you could switch already after firing that first shot, thus missile velocity is largely unrelated when done smart.

Don't forget about ship insurance before undocking. Don't forget about copy-paste saving before posting.

Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1504 - 2014-04-28 15:29:01 UTC
Gypsio III wrote:
Since you did not see fit to address any of my questions, I will ask you again, this time more simply:

"Please give me an example of when I ought to prefer bringing a new rattlesnake to a fight than, say, a navy dominix?"

Did I miss some new logistics feature of the rattlesnake that would redeem it?

The shield resist bonus is a kind of logistics feature, tbh.

In fleet environment, RS is superior to shield NavyDomi because of better resists, more EHP, greater or same DCR, superior lock range, superior DPS at any range against almost all realistic targets, greater survivability of drones vs. bombs and more efficient use of the drone assist mechanic.

In small gang environment, neutron ASB navyDomi outdamages a RHML RS, but the RS has more EHP, better resists, a neut, better DPS projection and is less vulnerable to ewar. If you have the painter/Crash support to enable use of Rage torps, the damage is about even too.

At last, a response.

I agree that a shield rattlesnake is (a little) stronger than a shield navy dominix. In counterpoint, the shield navy dominix is putting out something like 1800dps, which I think we can agree is probably worth the little extra tanking risk it runs.

When we compare a shield rattlesnake to an armour dominix, the difference becomes less clear.

The fact that a rattlesnake "can carry a neut" and "can almost achieve the same damage with implants and drugs" seems to me to be a somewhat weak endorsement of its intended fearsome pirate ship persona.

The Vindicator and Bhaalgorn are really bad news to be anywhere near. A Machariel is really bad news if you let it out of scram range.

In a (small) fleet engagement, a rattlesnake will be on the list of ships to kill, but nowhere near the top. It's just not dangerous enough. My view is that the dev team have been lazy. They know that this ship is lacklustre, but can't be bothered to change it now.

Damn shame.

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

Mike Voidstar
Voidstar Free Flight Foundation
#1505 - 2014-04-28 15:34:39 UTC
Yeah, I thought his logic on that was bizzare myself. I took it to mean that since the missiles got where they were going faster he was applying that first salvo faster. It seems a pretty pointless thing, the ship perhaps dies one second sooner as the last missile reaches it faster.

Double damage, on the other hand, applies more dps in the same amount of time, meaning you use half the salvoes, and save the entire cycle time of the launcher multiplied by the salvoes saved. That is faster target switching.

I am not sure what the missiles getting there sooner benefits... I always considered velocity more like a range bonus with a tiny extra benefit.
KaDa en Bauldry
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1506 - 2014-04-28 15:42:18 UTC  |  Edited by: KaDa en Bauldry
Mike Voidstar wrote:
I am not sure what the missiles getting there sooner benefits... I always considered velocity more like a range bonus with a tiny extra benefit.

With Cruise Missiles, the benefit is that less shots are "in the air" before the first impact.
Comes into play when the rats repair themselves or you don't know how many shots you need, and they are out at a great distance.
If you fire two more shots, while the first one kills, that's two shots wasted.
But who cares about sniping on a tanky ship when Gardes have an effective range of (below?) 50km! Twisted

Don't forget about ship insurance before undocking. Don't forget about copy-paste saving before posting.

Kueyen
Angharradh's Aegis
#1507 - 2014-04-28 16:29:36 UTC
The rattlesnake plot thickens... a new, superheavy Guristas faction drone has been spotted in the market list, the Gecko.

• looks like a Dragonfly (the caldari fighter) and is even listed as a variant thereof, but:
  • 50m³ size, 50mbit bandwidth, 1010/990/2560 hp, 128x2.05 dmg (split evenly amonst the 4 damage types), 1820 m/s

Until all are free...

Doggy Dogwoofwoof
New Eden Corporation 98713347
Brotherhood of Spacers
#1508 - 2014-04-28 16:38:34 UTC
Kueyen wrote:
The rattlesnake plot thickens... a new, superheavy Guristas faction drone has been spotted in the market list, the Gecko.

• looks like a Dragonfly (the caldari fighter) and is even listed as a variant thereof, but:
  • 50m³ size, 50mbit bandwidth, 1010/990/2560 hp, 128x2.05 dmg (split evenly amonst the 4 damage types), 1820 m/s

Shocked Link and Picture?
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#1509 - 2014-04-28 16:41:58 UTC
Doggy Dogwoofwoof wrote:
Kueyen wrote:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=340165&find=unread
stoicfaux
#1510 - 2014-04-28 16:45:31 UTC
Doggy Dogwoofwoof wrote:
Kueyen wrote:

1. Start EVE.
2. Login.
3. Select character to login with.
4. Open Market window.
5. Search on "Gecko" or drill down to Drones / Combat Drones / Heavy Attack Drones / Faction & Storyline -> Gecko.
6. Click on the info button.
7. Type one handed...

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Mike Voidstar
#1511 - 2014-04-28 16:53:48 UTC
I will have to check it out when I get home and try some comparisons on things like tracking with it.

If it stays a fghter I dont think it will get the superdrone bonus, so its inflated heavies/sentries vs. One of these. Seems neat though.
stoicfaux
#1512 - 2014-04-28 16:56:57 UTC  |  Edited by: stoicfaux
Mike Voidstar wrote:
I will have to check it out when I get home and try some comparisons on things like tracking with it.

If it stays a fghter I dont think it will get the superdrone bonus, so its inflated heavies/sentries vs. One of these. Seems neat though.

0.53 tracking. It's definitely a heavy drone and not a fighter.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a Tournament prize.

edit: tracking is 0.53, not 0.59.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Kueyen
Angharradh's Aegis
#1513 - 2014-04-28 17:04:13 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a Tournament prize
It would somewhat surprise me (since there's already two Guristas ships slated for use as AT XII prizes), but it would most definately severely disappoint me.

Until all are free...

Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#1514 - 2014-04-28 17:10:57 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
Doggy Dogwoofwoof wrote:
Kueyen wrote:

1. Start EVE.
2. Login.
3. Select character to login with.
4. Open Market window.
5. Search on "Gecko" or drill down to Drones / Combat Drones / Heavy Attack Drones / Faction & Storyline -> Gecko.
6. Click on the info button.
7. Type one handed...

mm.. omni damage and omni tanked .. well mainly structure tanked anyway .. faster and better tracker than ogre .mm..
odd

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
#1515 - 2014-04-28 17:17:28 UTC
At last, a response.

I agree that a shield rattlesnake is (a little) stronger than a shield navy dominix. In counterpoint, the shield navy dominix is putting out something like 1800dps, which I think we can agree is probably worth the little extra tanking risk it runs.

When we compare a shield rattlesnake to an armour dominix, the difference becomes less clear.

The fact that a rattlesnake "can carry a neut" and "can almost achieve the same damage with implants and drugs" seems to me to be a somewhat weak endorsement of its intended fearsome pirate ship persona.

The Vindicator and Bhaalgorn are really bad news to be anywhere near. A Machariel is really bad news if you let it out of scram range.

In a (small) fleet engagement, a rattlesnake will be on the list of ships to kill, but nowhere near the top. It's just not dangerous enough. My view is that the dev team have been lazy. They know that this ship is lacklustre, but can't be bothered to change it now.

Damn shame.

Some reasonable comments here. I agree that the RS still lacks a true "special" feature that good small gang pirate ships have. However, its ability to project damage greatly outweighs those of its competitors. It won't be at the top of the list to kill partially because of that lack of special ability, but also because it doesn't have to go close up to apply damage and make use of a special ability (Vindi) and mostly because it's just so tough.

On the fleet scale, the advantages in tank and damage projection make it far stronger than a Navy Domi. I've never heard of NavyDomi fleet being a thing, and it remains to seen whether RS fleet will be actually used, so this may be academic, but its advantage in EHP, resists and projection cannot be described as small. It might find some interesting niche use as a bait fleet, with Pantheon Chimeras on standby.

Personally, my criticism would more go towards the Nightmare. The AB bonus isn't hugely useful, it offers nothing special in terms of damage or tank and I can't really see a role for it.

Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1516 - 2014-04-28 17:43:14 UTC
Gypsio III wrote:
At last, a response.

Damn shame.

Some reasonable comments here. I agree that the RS still lacks a true "special" feature that good small gang pirate ships have. However, its ability to project damage greatly outweighs those of its competitors. It won't be at the top of the list to kill partially because of that lack of special ability, but also because it doesn't have to go close up to apply damage and make use of a special ability (Vindi) and mostly because it's just so tough.

On the fleet scale, the advantages in tank and damage projection make it far stronger than a Navy Domi. I've never heard of NavyDomi fleet being a thing, and it remains to seen whether RS fleet will be actually used, so this may be academic, but its advantage in EHP, resists and projection cannot be described as small. It might find some interesting niche use as a bait fleet, with Pantheon Chimeras on standby.

Personally, my criticism would more go towards the Nightmare. The AB bonus isn't hugely useful, it offers nothing special in terms of damage or tank and I can't really see a role for it.

hmm I almost agree with you vis-a-vis damage projection, but there is no sentry range bonus so that projected damage looks limited to missiles. Waiting for combat drones to arrive cannot reasonably be classified as "projecting damage".

Of course there are already navy ships that project damage *awesomely*, the navy raven being one.

So if we're going to look for a reason to fly a pirate rattlesnake over a mere navy battleship the reasons for doing so start to get thin on the ground.

I too am sceptical of the nightmare but I'm waiting to see. I do actually often use an AB to help in tanking in skirmish pvp so part of me believes it may work in some cases.

As for the reasonableness of my post, please do take a look back through the last 4 pages of the thread and examine my posts. I try to be reasonable and reasoned. If you see anything that falls below that standard please do bring it to my attention.

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#1517 - 2014-04-28 18:02:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Wow, Gecko! Quick comparison: 1820m/sec velocity, 2.05x damage modifier, 0.53 rad/sec tracking and about 25% more hit points than a Federation Navy Ogre. Screw sentries - I'm loving the Snake! The inscription of "ED-209" is hilarious! Now if we can just do something about that infernal launcher symmetry...

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Mike Voidstar
#1518 - 2014-04-28 18:06:28 UTC
Velocity is just a range bonus. Analogous in just about every way to an optimal bonus. The other exremely minor benefit it offers is useless to instant hitting turrets.

The only semi-limited thinking here is coming from you, Rod, in your attempts to troll. As no one is taking you even a little seriously now, you should probably just go play quietly out of the way while people actually interested in discussing the changes talk.

Rod, You have not had anything new to contribute in untold pages, because you keep causing them to be pruned about a dozen at a time. This has actually cost valuable comments as we tried to ignore your incessant and useless bleating. You are the only person here looking foolish, and it is pretty obvious that you are doing so intentionally.

Many of us have attempted to discuss the changes with you, even ignoring your childish attention seeking antics to try and find some meat in your blatherings, as sometimes even a blind pig finds an acorn. You arent even trying to enter into the discussion though, just disrupt it with offensive and abusive name calling and idiotic jibberings like a toddler squatting in a pile of its own excrement with a big smile.

Its obvious you have little skill at the game, or thats just another part of your troll. You show small grasp of even basic game concepts, and seem to feel entitled as if you actually owned a Rattlesnake and were being forced into accepting a factory recall. Did you perchance purchase that character and ship rather than training and earning the old fashioned way? Is that why you feel so cheated and abused? I cant think of anything else other than being a hysterionic high functioning autistic 6 year old that you would behave that way.
Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
#1519 - 2014-04-28 18:11:49 UTC

hmm I almost agree with you vis-a-vis damage projection, but there is no sentry range bonus so that projected damage looks limited to missiles. Waiting for combat drones to arrive cannot reasonably be classified as "projecting damage".

Nah, the sentries will be fine without a range bonus. If anything the missiles will be the problem on the fleet scale.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#1520 - 2014-04-28 18:14:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
That Gecko is awesome! These things are going to be tough as nails...!

CCP Rise, can you please look into launcher symmetry on the Rattlesnake? (just remove the bottommost turrets so we end up with the 5th on the top).

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.