These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Industry UI

First post
Author
probag Bear
Xiong Offices
#81 - 2014-04-28 13:56:34 UTC
CCP Nullarbor wrote:
probag Bear wrote:
*snip*

Yes, you will be able to build using materials and blueprints inside containers in a POS or in a station. The materials and the blueprint however must be in the correct assembly array.

probag Bear wrote:
*snip*

It will remember between sessions.

CCP Nullarbor wrote:
We're hoping to have a 3 month history, we still need to do some performance testing on this.

Awesome! Seems that I'd set my expectations way too low
Lady Zarrina
New Eden Browncoats
#82 - 2014-04-28 13:56:48 UTC
Looks like some very nice changes. Hard to tell until one actually gets to use it.

Just the fact that previous job information will be saved will be a huge improvement.

EVE: All about Flying Frisky and Making Iskie

Droidyk
Maniacal Miners INC
The Legends In The Game
#83 - 2014-04-28 13:58:03 UTC
Currently reading through it all. There are no words. Can't explain how awesome this is. Greatness.
Theng Hofses
State War Academy
Caldari State
#84 - 2014-04-28 14:00:00 UTC
The ability to batch copy jobs and invention jobs would be a HUGE step forward and fundamentally fix the click fest problem that copy, invention and manufacturing is today. With what is see here you are putting a pretty band aid on the problem for small scale industrialists. I am not convinced based on what you have showed here is that you have fixed the issues when you do industry on an industrial scale. Think of it this way: How can I make the life easier of someone who builds several product lines of say thousands of identical T2 items (T2 Sentries for example) from scratch via invention a week? Does this really solve the issue?
Querns
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#85 - 2014-04-28 14:00:15 UTC
Weaselior wrote:
CCP Nullarbor wrote:

We're hoping to have a 3 month history, we still need to do some performance testing on this.

But even without that functionality this is great news, I don't understand why that wasn't a big flashing thing in the devblog as I bet a lot of people are going to love it.

Agreed on this; this is a major usability change, and more people should know about it. I recommend amending the devblog to contain the information.

This post was crafted by the wormhole expert of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

Althalus Stenory
Flying Blacksmiths
#86 - 2014-04-28 14:02:25 UTC
Request for devs : please make all "numbers" (i.e http://content.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/66065/1/Blueprints_ShowInfo_Industry.png quantity here) readable !

not "2850000" but "2,850,000" or "2 850 000" just like when we have edited a price in an order and want to see it while changing focus.

EsiPy - Python 2.7 / 3.3+ Swagger Client based on pyswagger for ESI

chain evoltion
Equilibrium - Enterprises
#87 - 2014-04-28 14:03:36 UTC
great changes for industry ui,

Does this mean you lot from ccp are FINALY addressing the lack of seeing blueprints with specs that can be linked?

Now we have the S&I tab that shows it but is not linkable, and an inventory that does not show ME/ PE and runs. furthermore the inventory does allow you to show useless things as tech lv. come ccp you had years to fix this
Kaius Fero
#88 - 2014-04-28 14:04:11 UTC
Finally some awesome changes, totally love it! Big LIKE!!

Anselmo & The Illegals

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#89 - 2014-04-28 14:04:52 UTC
With the comparison of different installation locations, how much lag can we expect? Currently, it is a major pain in the back to open the market window or Character info window (at least for me), because it causes the game to stutter and freeze until all the data (or whatever it does) is loaded. Can I expect this to be the case in the new Indu window as well?

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Gospadin
Bastard Children of Poinen
#90 - 2014-04-28 14:06:43 UTC
Sturmwolke wrote:
2) See http://zofu.no-ip.de/bpo
Well known to those involved in manufacturing and research. See those ME/PE projections? It should be default ingame.

Jercy's data is essential to most everyone who touches the spreadsheet side of EVE. I don't see that going away.
CCP Nullarbor
C C P
C C P Alliance
#91 - 2014-04-28 14:07:45 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Who gets the notification about completed corporate jobs?

Is it possible to disable this notification? (As an inventor, I can go through 100+ jobs a day without too much trouble. And most of those are in a POS (copy slots needed. Might as well use the others too))

People who have access to deliver it, and yes disabling them will be possible however the notification feature will be coming in a point release later.

CCP Nullarbor // Senior Engineer // Team Game of Drones

Aryth
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#92 - 2014-04-28 14:09:22 UTC
CCP RubberBAND wrote:
Peter Powers wrote:
ok, so now it is shiny and better looking and all,
but uhm, it still seems to lack (or i did misread the post)
one feature that i know me (and others) have been asking for in the past.

What about bulk-creating-jobs?

when i have 10 Scorch M BPC, then doing the same clicking (well i guess dragging now) etc 10 times is *extremly* annoying, so can we please have an option to clone jobs? can this dragging, clicking thing please be a template, and we can create 10 jobs without doing the same stuff over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?

regards,
PP

The idea is that the system will remember all settings for a blueprint, so if you set up 1 Scorch M BPC, all subsequent blueprints of this type will default to the last submitted job settings.

So you set up the first blueprint, then just hit submit on the subsequent BPCs because everything is set to go.

This is going to be quite the improvement. Especially if translated across alts somehow in corp jobs.

Leader of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal.

Creator of Burn Jita

Vile Rat: You're the greatest sociopath that has ever played eve.

Gospadin
Bastard Children of Poinen
#93 - 2014-04-28 14:10:48 UTC
As someone with a bunch of PI planets, i'm really looking forward to seeing how they reduce clicks through UI improvement, if this blog is to be any indication.
CCP Nullarbor
C C P
C C P Alliance
#94 - 2014-04-28 14:10:49 UTC
Theng Hofses wrote:
The ability to batch copy jobs and invention jobs would be a HUGE step forward and fundamentally fix the click fest problem that copy, invention and manufacturing is today. With what is see here you are putting a pretty band aid on the problem for small scale industrialists. I am not convinced based on what you have showed here is that you have fixed the issues when you do industry on an industrial scale. Think of it this way: How can I make the life easier of someone who builds several product lines of say thousands of identical T2 items (T2 Sentries for example) from scratch via invention a week? Does this really solve the issue?

We have been playing around with the idea of batch installing jobs, however the speed of submitting new jobs or resubmitting old ones may mean we just don't need the added complexity that batching creates. When this hits SiSi we'll be looking for feedback on exactly this.

Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#95 - 2014-04-28 14:13:06 UTC
I still think some of the activity icons are confusing and unclear. But it seems they aren't too bad since I did guess them all correctly in the previous blog.

Having persistent settings is a huge time saver, especially for invention. Many thanks.

I'm really interested in the quality metric that is now show. Previously, we really had no way of knowing what would effect our invention runs and how. I'd like to know more about what goes into that metric and how that quality number is determined.

I'm looking forward to trying this out on Sisi.

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

CCP Nullarbor
C C P
C C P Alliance
#96 - 2014-04-28 14:13:26 UTC
Rivr Luzade wrote:
With the comparison of different installation locations, how much lag can we expect? Currently, it is a major pain in the back to open the market window or Character info window (at least for me), because it causes the game to stutter and freeze until all the data (or whatever it does) is loaded. Can I expect this to be the case in the new Indu window as well?

This depends a little bit on your internet connection, swapping activity or blueprint will require a remote call in the background, however you no longer need to click a fetch quote button and we are optimizing this checking as much as possible to keep the interface snappy. A lot of the validation is now performed client side to help achieve this.

Uncle Shrimpa
Lap Dancers
Brothers of Tangra
#97 - 2014-04-28 14:17:08 UTC
3/6 due blogs down and so far nothing much more than polishing a turd

Those last 3 dev blogs better knock our socks off

So, I have 6 Titans in some sort of build process, 3 in cooker and 3 going thru components

If I drag a Titan BPO to the UI window, it will show as all components in build, will it allow me to seperate out by POS or certain station

For example in pos 1 I have an Avatar in components and pos 2 I have an Erebus in components, pos 3 I want to start an avatar, will it recognize just the minerals and build jobs of that pos only or will it do a collective on all corp jobs either by system or region etc?

To expand on weasellior question, if I have full Titans worth of minerals in CSAA and I have 6 turret hard point BPO in a CAA, will it automatically build out for the Titan I put in the window of the industry UI? Do I still have to manually move minerals from CSAA to CAA 1 mil m3 at a time to start each job separately? Or will it know where I got the minerals after the first job or based on where the Titan BPO is located and get minerals from there? Will it treat the pos as one big storage?

CCP Greyscale -Yup, we have data on what happens currently, but we're expecting those use patterns to change substantially when this release. There's a degree of "suck it and see" happening here :)

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#98 - 2014-04-28 14:17:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
This looks like a definite improvement.

However…

…I still maintain that it is still blueprint focused when it should be work-flow focused. The improvements mainly touch information discoverability and visualisation, and providing all the same old settings in a single work sheet. You still have to go through the same motions as before though,

Instead of picking a blueprint and selecting what you want to do with it, the process should be selecting what you want to do and then picking the blueprints you want to do it with. By reasoning for this is that, with or without the functionality being in the game, people work in batches: “today, I'm going to put these 5 BPCs into the manufacturing queue”; “now, I'm going to invent from these 10 BPCs (and in 75 minutes, I'll do the same from 10 new ones)”.

By the look of it, this new UI still requires me to pick the blueprints, one by one, and setting each up. Yes, keeping the settings from the last time a job was done will help, but it means I will have to fiddle every time I need to do something new. Yesterday, I made copies of the BPO; today, I'm going to manufacture the T1 items that go into the T2 procution; tomorrow, I'll ME-research it a bit more. Will all of these different uses be remembered for each blueprint, or will I have to set them up every time?
It still seems to be a matter of Pick (single) BP → pick activity → pick installation → check and accept → repeat.

I feel a better method would be to use a funnel method to go from large to small: first, I pick the installation where all my materials are. Then I pick an activity, and the defaults for this activity are applied. Then I shift-select 20 blueprints and dump them into the installation+activity combo I've picked — if I want something special, I can adjust them individually, but the defaults will probably work since… well they are my defaults. Then it's just a matter of clicking the “do it!” button (if all requirements come up as green) and go to bed.
This would make the process Pick installation → pick activity → pick all BPs → accept. No repeat needed.

I understand that this would require completely new abstractions and evaluation processes that would require some deeper digging in the mechanics, and I'm in no way saying that what's been presented does not seem like a vast improvement in how much clickinging you have to do, but I think that in a longer perspective, moving away from the kind of object-oriented approach towards a more process-oriented one would be even more beneficial.
CCP Nullarbor
C C P
C C P Alliance
#99 - 2014-04-28 14:20:50 UTC
Uncle Shrimpa wrote:
Will it treat the pos as one big storage?

This requires a POS rework and so no this will not happen for the summer release, but we agree that would be preferable.

Aalysia Valkeiper
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#100 - 2014-04-28 14:21:09 UTC
This looks like it will be a fantastic upgrade.Lol

As someone who does EVERYTHING with just this character (one account, one character, no alts... on purpose), anything that makes operations more streamlined and understandable is very welcomed.Big smile

I was particularly happy to read you're planning a notification for when a job is finished.Smile That will be a big plus for someone who runs Jump Clones and could be (literally) on the other side of space when the job is finished.Blink