These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Industry UI

First post
Author
Radgette
EVE Irn Bru Distribution
#61 - 2014-04-28 13:31:51 UTC
Skyylar Solette wrote:
I guess my one concern would be making it so that only the base stats show up on BPOs and you have to look at the industry tab to see how long it would take you to build/research that bpo. I mean yes it is consistent but honestly when I'm contemplating building something I don't want to have to go look it up somewhere to figure out how long its going to take me to build. Just clicking on the hyperlink for a BPO and scrolling down and seeing how long it will take ME to build it is far more useful since frankly I DON'T CARE how long it takes an unskilled character to build something.

This a hundred times this. Don't add extra work for no reward. I don't care what materials it requires unskilled or researched. When i click show info it needs to show what I need to build/ research it
Axhind
Eternity INC.
Goonswarm Federation
#62 - 2014-04-28 13:34:25 UTC
Weaselior wrote:
Magic Crisp wrote:

4) Industry tab: For material quantities please include some notations for the dimension, like 1000000000 trit should be like "100 000 000" or something alike. Make sure these extra characters go away when copying it (to be pasted into a sheet or something). Please keep the data easy to read.

oh god yes please do this (and use commas, not spaces)

right now the only person who can look at these numbers and figure out the magnitude without counting is Solo Drakban, who has a freakish ability to know exactly how many digits are in a number at a glance

the rest of us need to count to make sure it's 10 million, not 1 or 100

Please no. Many of us use commas as a decimal separator so spaces are far better option as it doesn't actually introduce any confusion.

Or even better add a setting so people can decide on thousand separator and decimal separator. That way everyone gets what they are used to.
NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#63 - 2014-04-28 13:34:42 UTC
CCP RubberBAND wrote:
Peter Powers wrote:
ok, so now it is shiny and better looking and all,
but uhm, it still seems to lack (or i did misread the post)
one feature that i know me (and others) have been asking for in the past.

What about bulk-creating-jobs?

when i have 10 Scorch M BPC, then doing the same clicking (well i guess dragging now) etc 10 times is *extremly* annoying, so can we please have an option to clone jobs? can this dragging, clicking thing please be a template, and we can create 10 jobs without doing the same stuff over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?

regards,
PP

The idea is that the system will remember all settings for a blueprint, so if you set up 1 Scorch M BPC, all subsequent blueprints of this type will default to the last submitted job settings.

So you set up the first blueprint, then just hit submit on the subsequent BPCs because everything is set to go.

Oh sweet merciful CCP
That is edenic in comparison to now
Inifinite slots, memory, a 5% reduction

You just want everyone to use POSes now dont you?
TheMercenaryKing
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#64 - 2014-04-28 13:35:08 UTC  |  Edited by: TheMercenaryKing
Skyylar Solette wrote:
TheMercenaryKing wrote:
Why does it show a Myrmidon with a Tech 2 icon on the first blueprint image?

That would be an Eos

Normally yes, a T2 Myrm is an Eos , but it says Produces 1x Myrmidon. And the whole thing about using skiff blueprint icons to make a Megathron Federate Issue that looks like Large Sabot.
Costly Misstake
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#65 - 2014-04-28 13:35:50 UTC
I've been playing "Spreadsheets Online" for many years now. The new GUI looks nice, but I don't see much in the way of tools for the daily tasks of most industrial players. Please consider adding more tools such as:

• Cost and profit calculations based on user input, not automatic estimated prices (this doesn't work). Yes, this means links to Jita prices.

• Detailed accounting records, showing how much profit or loss for specific time periods.

If we still have to use spreadsheets and 3rd party apps, you are just making eye candy for nothing.

Regards

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#66 - 2014-04-28 13:36:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
You lack the most important question in the GOAL picture:

Will it be profitable and how much profit will it make?

Also, why not a world map or a meridian wireframe globe for the Map icon? Considering the ineptitude of some people to read maps and recognize regions, I find it highly dangerous to use Tunisia as an icon. People likely think it's just a random stench of white and dark.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#67 - 2014-04-28 13:37:30 UTC
Ok, so it appears you have 4 days to pump out 3 more blogs, if the dev's promises are to be honoured.

While any attempt to improve the UI is to be lauded, bottom line, all these changes are meaningless for a large segement of your player base if you continue down the path of handing the cartels advantages in every single part of the industry process.
And propagandists, please don't give post that crap about risk / reward or transportation costs.

If some high sec manufacturer is forced to set up shop 20 jumps from Jita to even be remotely competitive with a null sec adversary, that means huge disadvantage high sec player. Unless of course, CCP suddenly allows Jump Freighter cynos in high sec, or bans all freighter ganking at high sec chokepoints.
CCP Nullarbor
C C P
C C P Alliance
#68 - 2014-04-28 13:38:42 UTC
Midori Tsu wrote:
I also feel like some info being given in the window is too vague, like the cost bar, that should be a number instead.

If you mean the cost bar on the Installations tab, then that is providing an average relative price between the different facilities but as you will find out in a later blog the exact cost for installing jobs is going to vary based on both the activity and the blueprint being used.

CCP Nullarbor // Senior Engineer // Team Game of Drones

CCP Nullarbor
C C P
C C P Alliance
#69 - 2014-04-28 13:38:48 UTC
Tam Althor wrote:
The new UI will be nice to play with, however, it really means nothing for current people involved in industry compared to the content of the blogs that are supposed to follow this week. Can we get an actual timeline on those?

This week.

Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#70 - 2014-04-28 13:40:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Elena Thiesant
Weaselior wrote:
Magic Crisp wrote:

4) Industry tab: For material quantities please include some notations for the dimension, like 1000000000 trit should be like "100 000 000" or something alike. Make sure these extra characters go away when copying it (to be pasted into a sheet or something). Please keep the data easy to read.

oh god yes please do this (and use commas, not spaces)

Ideally it should pick up the regional settings from the OS (where possible) and use that. Where I live spaces are the thousand separators, not commas.
DetKhord Saisio
Seniors Clan
#71 - 2014-04-28 13:41:14 UTC
Industry UI DevBlog wrote:
Filtering the blueprints by their inventory location will now be possible, allowing you to include corporation divisions and station containers. \o/
^This. Organizing production, research, and invention materials/blueprints/etc into separate Station Warehouse Continers helps, but causes issues when the interface does not automatically find those container locations. I can not wait for these changes.

Are containers (access and inventory management) receiving other improvements as well? Ejecting container inventory, remote repair, repackaging remotely, and listing all items on market is all but impossible remotely or under circumstances like item needed repairs/drugs/illegal items located in the container. Using jump clone was always an option, but most would probably trash the goods.
Geezelbub
Barely Illegal
#72 - 2014-04-28 13:42:21 UTC
Weaselior wrote:
re: http://cdn1.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/66065/1/SnI_TouchpointMatrix_Personas2.png

I don't know who on earth thought invention (queue up 10 one-hour jobs, repeat every hour on the hour) was "not repetitive" but they're crazy

This +100

For example. To do 10 T2 Ship BPC Inventions now is a clickfest, time consuming mess.

IF this new UI doesn't make it so I can one or two click 10 invention jobs when I have all the proper stuff in one hanger than it is nothing but fluff IMO.

Fluff we don't need, less clicks and intuitive, functional interfaces we do need.
Weaselior
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#73 - 2014-04-28 13:43:15 UTC
Axhind wrote:

Please no. Many of us use commas as a decimal separator so spaces are far better option as it doesn't actually introduce any confusion.

Or even better add a setting so people can decide on thousand separator and decimal separator. That way everyone gets what they are used to.

while that is wrong, i suppose you should be allowed to continue being wrong

however the eve client currently uses a period for a decimal separator and a comma on the markets for a magnitude separator (for me, at least) so either the ability to toggle this already exists in-game and I have it set to Correct and that should just get extended to this, or the eve client uses the comma for magnitude and the dot for decimal already so that should be maintained for this new system

Head of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal Pubbie Management and Exploitation Division.

CCP Arrow
C C P
C C P Alliance
#74 - 2014-04-28 13:44:11 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Arrow
Just to elaborate on a few things, here is a section from the blog that judging from the feedback needs to be clarified more to the point:

Interactions should be efficient and meaningful

Any interaction in the Industry UI should be a gameplay-related decision done by the player instead of the player farming through confirmation windows and checkboxes. We wanted to strip out any unnecessary interaction unless it had specific purpose for the task at hand, whether that is changing actual input materials or output destination or simply adding more runs to a job. We added multiple ways to efficiently add count on runs (using keyboard shortcuts or direct manipulation on a value slider around the selected blueprint). Speed was another important factor and players will be able to start jobs super quickly and get instant updates on values when tinkering with job runs.

The TL;DR of this section is:

• The system will be smart, it will auto apply all needed materials when you on click a blueprint (you don't have to drag).
  • The system will automatically go to the max runs supported by the blueprint if you have enough requirements, or go up to the amount it can handle with the requirements you have.
  • Speed was one of our BIG goals, this is much much much faster than before.
  • The system persists any settings so if you click another blueprint, it goes to the same settings as the one before it.
  • You will be able to re-submit past jobs with a single click.

CCP Arrow   |   Director of User Experience   |   EVE Online   |   @CCP_Arrow

Weaselior
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#75 - 2014-04-28 13:45:18 UTC
CCP Arrow wrote:

• [/list]

whoa, this is interesting and a Big Deal, could you elaborate on how this works? How far back does this extend?

Head of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal Pubbie Management and Exploitation Division.

CCP Nullarbor
    C C P
    C C P Alliance
    #76 - 2014-04-28 13:46:04 UTC
    probag Bear wrote:
    You mention being able to view and filter blueprints by division and containers. This is amazing. But, since other changes are forcing us to place blueprints inside POS arrays, I just want to seek confirmation of one thing: we will be able to view/filter blueprints residing in containers inside POS arrays, correct?

Yes, you will be able to build using materials and blueprints inside containers in a POS or in a station. The materials and the blueprint however must be in the correct assembly array.

probag Bear wrote:
    I've noticed that the installations tab no longer has a Public/Corp filter, allowing POS-users to ignore the region-wide station installations that we'll almost never be using.

Good point, we'll see about adding it again. A lot of the filter options are completely open for debate.

probag Bear wrote:
    Will we be able to set installation and destination defaults in any way? For example: for invention, I always use Division 1 as input and Division 2 as output, for manufacturing it's 3 -> 4, for reverse engineering it's 5 -> 6, etc. Under Rubicon's UI, I have to select these Division choices 10 times per character per session. Under the new UI I would only have to select them once per character per session, which is already a huge improvement. But it'd be even nicer if I could just set all Invention jobs to default to Divisions 1->2 once per character, and never have to bother with it again.

It will remember between sessions.

CCP Nullarbor
    C C P
    C C P Alliance
    #77 - 2014-04-28 13:46:32 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Nullarbor
    Weaselior wrote:
    CCP Arrow wrote:

whoa, this is interesting and a Big Deal, could you elaborate on how this works? How far back does this extend?

We're hoping to have a 3 month history, we still need to do some performance testing on this.

Rivr Luzade
    Coreli Corporation
    Pandemic Legion
    #78 - 2014-04-28 13:47:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
    I also have to say that I like your wireframe a lot more than the current end-result. The wireframe appears a lot less cluttered and skeuomorphic than the end-result. It shows a clear progression for the items, whereas with your current end-result you don't know where some lines lead to. That's confusing. Also a lot of the icons and bars are less recognizable with the current end-result than with the first wireframe.
    Also, why do we need the huge ship picture? Or the ISIS indicator? We don't want to fly that stuff, we want to produce it. If you need ISIS Mastery, click on it on in the ship info window. Moreover, you use 2 different symbols for the Mastery between the Info Window and the Industry window. If you must include that, at least keep consistency.

The indicators for Ready/Not ready are also not exactly clearly recognizable, the outer ring sections indicating readiness of certain parts seem to me too dark.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Weaselior
    GoonWaffe
    Goonswarm Federation
    #79 - 2014-04-28 13:50:27 UTC
    CCP Nullarbor wrote:

We're hoping to have a 3 month history, we still need to do some performance testing on this.

Sweet deal. It might also be handy if you could mark certain jobs as favorites or the like using the same functionality: say I decide to become the Ishtar King of Deklein: I may want to have my component jobs saved permanently on a separate tab so I can just go push a bunch of buttons and all the components start chugging away in the correct proportions. While if I keep it up those jobs will always be in the history, it would be easiest if I could just have a tab for my often-used ones so I don't have to hunt.

But even without that functionality this is great news, I don't understand why that wasn't a big flashing thing in the devblog as I bet a lot of people are going to love it.

TheButcherPete
    KarmaFleet
    Goonswarm Federation
    #80 - 2014-04-28 13:54:11 UTC
    This flashy new UI is great and all, but this expansion is gonna fall really short of your expectations, if you keep mining as dull as it is. I know it's ~oldcode~ but sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone CCP, and no I don't mean "revive WoD"

Please, for the love of the diety of your choice, REVAMP MINING

[b]THE KING OF EVE RADIO

If EVE is real, does that mean all of us are RMTrs?[/b]