These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The old Stuff back - including improvements

First post First post
Author
Gustav Mannfred
Summer of Mumuit
Remember Mumuit
#381 - 2014-02-01 10:50:21 UTC
time, to bring this thread up to top again

i'm REALY miss the old stuff. 

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=24183

Krops Vont
#382 - 2014-02-02 10:09:39 UTC
Can we atleast get old sound options? :/
I beg of nothing more to hear the old lasers...

--==Services==--

Propaganda/Art/Media

Wormhole Finding & Selling

o/ Play for fun

Liam conToketi
Manoop Material Acquisitions Cartel
#383 - 2014-02-03 03:41:32 UTC
I'm gonna be straight with you, I have no idea why I just burned away an hour of my time reading through this whole thread. I even kept with it through the parts where you posted four, five, six times in a row saying absolutely nothing. This is, I'm almost certain, the first time I've ever posted on the Eve Online forums, and I first started playing in 2007. And goddamn am I going to make this first ever post count for everything it's worth, to try and help your crazy-ass, apparently-Swiss-German self understand the scale of some of the things you suggest. (all without explicitly quoting other posts because that's just too much work)

In regards to old models, consider the following: CCP makes available all of the old models for turrets. This effectively doubles the number of turret models in the game. It also doubles the number of different ways turrets can be rendered on any given ship. This in and of itself isn't really a HUGE deal (but still a rather big one considering the lack of support for such a feature).

However, you must also consider the future: Any change to any one ship now needs to be modeled to work with twice as many turrets as current. Any ship added must be modeled to work with twice as many turrets. And ships aren't often changed or added just one at a time, but regardless all future work regarding turrets on ships is now doubled. DOUBLED. That's two times as much work. Another exact copy of work done for just one set of turret models to fit just right on to each ship. The workload as it is currently is reasonably large, and CCP can't just make more work appear out of thin air without adding more time or more money to development.

If you still don't think this is prohibitive-levels of extra work, for a lot of other "use old" suggestions, each one doubles the work AGAIN. Two "use old" options quadruples the workload. Three of them doubles it again, now eight times as much work to get everything working together correctly. The amount of work or money required increases exponentially, and it's just not worth it. CCP would be putting more money in than they would expect to gain (by certainly at least 2 orders of magnitude) because of these features you suggest and the very small subset of players they cater to.

But understand that the options here to implement these things are all bad:

1) revert to old graphics entirely = all progress since point of reversion wasted
2) have both graphics supported = bankrupting CCP

I'm not going to say all of your suggestions are rubbish. They aren't by any stretch of the imagination. New turret sounds seem to be generally regarded as inferior to the old ones (I miss the comfort of my old tachyons). Unfortunately, the advances in computer processing power cannot overcome the fact that the computer programming HAS NOT changed. It's probably safe to bet that at no time in the last decade has the base code for Eve Online been completely rewritten. It's still, at its core, the same code as the day it was released, except that as more and more content has been added, more and more code must be written. And then that code needs to "agree" with all the other code, for every single thing that's added. And the first time something is added, it probably won't agree, so it gets revised. Then it probably still doesn't work quite right, and is then revised again, for easily dozens of iterations until it finally all works.

Every little thing added MUST (and I cannot express that strongly enough) agree with every single other thing in the code, or it will not work. The effort that goes into every step forward that CCP takes with this game is absolutely phenomenal. All the added effort that would go into taking any step back, even if that step is also "sideways", takes away significantly from the effort that goes toward moving forward, and then sieged dreads would drift faster than the game development.

I hope I've helped you to better understand the magnitude of what you've spent the past two years neurotically bumping this hell-spawned thread over. Please, for the love of what ever gods you may or may not believe in, move on with your life.

-Liam
Phaade
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#384 - 2014-02-03 04:26:32 UTC
The old turret sound effects were SO much better...

Lasers sound pathetic now, and projectiles just sound dumb.
Gustav Mannfred
Summer of Mumuit
Remember Mumuit
#385 - 2014-02-03 09:06:50 UTC
Phaade wrote:

not forget, that projectile still has the old sounds (125mm autocannon, 720mm artys) just with another soundeffect over the old

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#386 - 2014-02-04 01:13:48 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Gustav Mannfred wrote:
time, to bring this thread up to top again
There is unfortunately one thing you are overlooking:

14. Bumping outside the EVE Marketplace and Alliance & Corporation Recruitment channels is prohibited.

The bumping of posts to alter the order of the thread listing on a forum is prohibited outside the EVE Marketplace and Alliance & Corporation Recruitment forum channels. Within the EVE Marketplace section of the forums, each forum category has its own rules regarding acceptable bumping for sales threads clearly listed in the stickies.
Similarly the Alliance & Corporation Recruitment channel also has its own rules. Please be aware that the rules vary from forum to forum. Please review the sticky threads in these forum channels for specific details.

Thread locked for 24 hours to compensate.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Teri Cox
Doomheim
#387 - 2014-02-15 12:50:06 UTC
Phaade wrote:

yay, also the old missile sounds were better, all old effects are now used for explosive missiles, and all other just have one single sound efect
Gustav Mannfred
Summer of Mumuit
Remember Mumuit
#388 - 2014-03-01 12:46:29 UTC
It seems that Rubicon 1.3 could bring two small things to add into this thread (especially the linear lighting systems, when the ships becoming more dark and may be almost invisible in some parts of space)

Also the dronecap of 50 could be something, that i will ad here

that stuff is still WIP and i hope, that CCP will look on the problem with the dark ships, that are actually on sisi, but some of them looks really fantastic (province or vagabonsfor example)

Gustav Mannfred
Summer of Mumuit
Remember Mumuit
#389 - 2014-03-12 16:49:14 UTC
Thread updated:

- Added dronacap
- Added linear lighting problem

Owen Levanth
Sagittarius Unlimited Exploration
#390 - 2014-03-12 19:43:25 UTC
Gustav Mannfred wrote:
Thread updated:

- Added dronacap
- Added linear lighting problem

OK, until now I could tolerate this. I mean, you had a lot of good ideas. But seriously? I have to honestly consider now that you may be completely crazy.

The new linear lighting especially. It looks great, the new drone cap is great. My conclusion: You are insane. Case closed.
Jureth22
State War Academy
Caldari State
#391 - 2014-03-12 19:55:36 UTC
+ 1.wish there was 2 clients like before.the basic one i used to like the most compared to premium,even if premium had high graphics quality.Big smileSmile
Gustav Mannfred
Summer of Mumuit
Remember Mumuit
#392 - 2014-03-22 15:48:20 UTC
It seems, that the problem with the dark ships got fixed with the last patch.
I remove the linear lighting, because it got fixed
I remove the dronecap too, because it doesnt affect me right now

but i add the reprocessing changes

Gustav Mannfred
Summer of Mumuit
Remember Mumuit
#393 - 2014-04-09 14:39:44 UTC
Some updates to the mainpost:

1. I removed the link to blogspot, because I dont update the post there anymore and it wasnt read by a single time
2. I readded the jukebox and the static complexes, because the old threads of them arent anymore avtieve(in post 3)
3. I removed the link to a previous update, wich was still there since at least one year
4. From now on, I will use the post 3. to add more stuff, because the mainpost has reached the maximum of characters in it.Blink

Cardano Firesnake
Fire Bullet Inc
#394 - 2014-04-10 03:56:34 UTC
I really do'nt understand this nostalgy. I tried to play Tomb Raider II last day. It was an awful experience.
I want more upgrades, new skins for Caldari ships, Visual effects that clearly show Afterburners, and Micowarp Drives activation, Imossibility to fly across any objects like planets, or some structures.

Posted - 2010.07.01 11:24:00 - [4] Erase learning skills, remap all SP. That's all.

Whittorical Quandary
Amarrian Infinity
#395 - 2014-04-10 04:58:09 UTC
Just make the new stuff, based on the things we liked most about the "old stuff".

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."

— Abraham Lincoln

Psychoactive Stimulant
#396 - 2014-04-10 05:08:11 UTC
You know what would make this game better? If it looked just like that old game Asteroids.

BRING BACK THE OLD STUFF!!!
A4443 Suicide Gank
Summer of Mumuit
Remember Mumuit
#397 - 2014-04-18 09:13:03 UTC
Yes please, bring back at least the Jukebox and the old nebulaes, that wont be too much work, because the Jukebox is just an ingame musicplayer and the old nebulaes are covered by the new nebulaes
Gustav Mannfred
Summer of Mumuit
Remember Mumuit
#398 - 2014-04-22 09:53:27 UTC
Whittorical Quandary wrote:
Just make the new stuff, based on the things we liked most about the "old stuff".

I also agree with that suggestion, for example synchron firing or the nebulaes, that changed over constellation.

Neotrups Tera
Summer of Mumuit
Remember Mumuit
#399 - 2014-04-23 12:28:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Neotrups Tera
+1 from me, I really wanna see, how the game looked like back in 2009

WOW, that thread is more than 2 years old...Big smile
h4kun4
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#400 - 2014-04-27 15:18:47 UTC
According to your Ingame Bio Mannfred:

Old Turretmodels: Disagree
new ones are better and it would be too much work that could be put into something actually useful

Old nebulae: Disagree
new ones have an actual position in space, they look a lot better and more realistic, you you want the old nebulae, move to a WH

Old missileeffects: Disagree
The new ones look a lot better, infact, also too much work that could be put in something useful

Old Canflip Mechanics: Disagree
You just want to canflip all the miners without danger of being attacked by other people, risk vs. reward, killmail = greatest reward = greatest risk^^, also the whole crimewatch mechanic would need to be either removed or changed, ccp put a lot of work in it, so it is quite nicely balanced

Old Font: Disagree
The new one is better to read, period

Jukebox: Agreed
The jukebox was awesome, now i have to listen to my music via, VLC media player...more work for me xD^^

Since it's all opinions in this thread, my opinion is, that my opinions are right xD