These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Kronos] Pirate Faction Battleships

First post First post First post
Author
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#1321 - 2014-04-24 15:23:43 UTC
Why not just get rid of the Sentry bonus altogether and give the Rattlesnake an OP heavy drone bonus? Let it run 4 heavies @ 200% damage, hit points and velocity.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1322 - 2014-04-24 15:28:05 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Why not just get rid of the Sentry bonus altogether and give the Rattlesnake an OP heavy drone bonus? Let it run 4 heavies @ 200% damage, hit points and velocity.

People are already mad at losing a free high for a DLA because they can't snipe in their tank bonused BS.

I personally would be in favor of your idea.
Mike Voidstar
Voidstar Free Flight Foundation
#1323 - 2014-04-24 15:34:01 UTC
KaDa en Bauldry wrote:
Mike Voidstar wrote:
Gypsio III wrote:
So what do you want from the Rattlesnake, Mike?

Exactly as I have already suggested.

The ship looks fine except for the weak Superdrone bonus.

All things being equal, that bonus would be the same as given to the Gila, and would put 12 effective drones in space. Obviously that would be hilariously OP, given even Heavy and Sentry application abilities.

Are you missing out the fact that the Gila gets those OP supermediums for it's loss of Heavy full flight?
It gets similar dps numbers (a bit lower today than 7.5 Heavies), but on faster and better tracking drones.

Or just ignoring this, because the numbers are shiny?

No, I don't ignore that. It's one of the inherent drawbacks of the superdrone concept above that of the regular drone bonus.

As I pointed out, that would be hilariously OP. Did you ignore the part further down my post where I laid out the compromises of fewer effective drones but maintaining the full HP increase of the superdrone concept, in essence mirroring the deviation of the frigate end of the spectrum? Or did you have no real comment to add to the discussion and just wanted to get a zinger in?
Topher Basquette Dusch-shur
Montana Freedom Fighters
#1324 - 2014-04-24 15:42:44 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

I'm sure heavies will be better after the buff, but they are terrible if you are fighting anything fast or if you are PVEing anything but angles. Sentries help with sanity. I use heavies in my Ishtar and only in my Ishtar.

Wait. Didn't you want it to be just a missile boat a couple days ago? I would honestly be fine with it as anything but an only heavy drone platform.

Just to mention current Rattle iteration won't be bad at all. I use RHMLs on mine as is and in PVE it will mean that you one shot any frigate that gets past your sentries. I'm pretty excited to fit this like my Fleet 'Phoon.
KaDa en Bauldry
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1325 - 2014-04-24 15:43:41 UTC  |  Edited by: KaDa en Bauldry
Mike Voidstar wrote:
KaDa en Bauldry wrote:
Are you missing out the fact that the Gila gets those OP supermediums for it's loss of Heavy full flight?
It gets similar dps numbers (a bit lower today than 7.5 Heavies), but on faster and better tracking drones.

No, I don't ignore that. It's one of the inherent drawbacks of the superdrone concept above that of the regular drone bonus.

As I pointed out, that would be hilariously OP. Did you ignore the part further down my post where I laid out the compromises of fewer effective drones but maintaining the full HP increase of the superdrone concept, in essence mirroring the deviation of the frigate end of the spectrum? Or did you have no real comment to add to the discussion and just wanted to get a zinger in?

The "compromise" of fewer effective drones, but still above 7.5 (you mentioned 10 as good) did not strike me as a compromise.
The Gila loses some drone dps (unless I am missing something) while getting smaller drones (gaining smaller/faster ones).

The Rattlesnake loses nothing on the heavies and sentries, thus I feel no need for it to gain anything in that department.

My last constructive suggestion was to add was about the CPU a few pages ago I suppose, since then I'm just asking folk why they want more OP drones (without adding how the missile power should be cut down in return).
Both more even more powerful drones and not letting the lights go unbuffed have been mentioned several times already, and certain previous posts made me a bit more hostile towards them.
Should watch that I suppose.

Don't forget about ship insurance before undocking. Don't forget about copy-paste saving before posting.

Skarlock Tremillion
Angry Rampant Space Gerbils
#1326 - 2014-04-24 15:49:43 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

To fall in line with the other Garista ships it would have to be two heavy drones. But as a Rat pilot I'm actually not averse to the idea of only seeing the super drone bonus on heavies and not for sentries. It would reinforce the brawler feel for the entire Garista line and also allow the bonus to possibly be raised closer to that seen for the Worm and Gila. With sentry drones getting the current bonus it already seems too close to being a balance issue. If only heavy drones get the bonus Rat pilots could have a more potent super drone, but one that would be more situational and require more work to use than having both heavy and sentry drones.

I also feel if Rats are discouraged from using sentry drones it will give the battleship a really nice unique flavour for a drone hybrid. I could also see some more interesting fits being developed than those that are likely with the current proposed sentry and heavy bonus. After all with the tank available a few cookie cutter fits are likely to appear for high dps drones with some long range cruise missiles or short range rapids or possibly torpedos that can simply sit there and fairly easily deal with any opponent. If we only have buffed heavy drones then a range of fits will have to be developed to be able to follow the drones into combat so they can be recalled quickly when needed, launchers to takes down smaller hulls and other EWAR boosts to balance the fit. In my personal opinion, a Rat that maybe more balanced, more challenging and more enjoyable to fit, fly and fight with.
Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#1327 - 2014-04-24 15:51:49 UTC
Mike Voidstar wrote:
Gypsio III wrote:

All things being equal, that bonus would be the same as given to the Gila, and would put 12 effective drones in space. Obviously that would be hilariously OP, given even Heavy and Sentry application abilities.

I personally think 10 effective large drones makes a good compromise, though I really feel it's still a tad weak, mostly in HP. Dropping to 9 effective large drones but keeping the full 60% HP boost might make the best compromise. The most elegant is probably to drop the bonus further to 8 effective large drones and keeping the 60% boost, just because I am a bit OCD and it mirrors the bonus deviation on the frigates.

Good. Asking for eight effective drones is reasonable, and justifiable by comparison to the superior drone abilities of the Worm and Gila, and to further differentiate it from the Dominix. Asking for ten or twelve without proposing a cut to the missile abilities is not going to happen though.
Mike Voidstar
#1328 - 2014-04-24 15:59:28 UTC
KaDa en Bauldry wrote:
Mike Voidstar wrote:
KaDa en Bauldry wrote:

The "compromise" of fewer effective drones, but still above 7.5 did not strike me as a compromise.
The Gila loses some drone dps (unless I am missing something) while getting smaller drones (gaining smaller/faster ones).

The Rattlesnake loses nothing on the heavies and sentries, thus I feel no need for it to gain anything in that department.

My last real comment to add was about the CPU a few pages ago I suppose, since then I'm just asking folk why they want more OP drones (without suggesting how the missile power should be cut down in return).

This has been discussed at length.

The Gila makes huge gains in application of near battleship levels of damage in exchange for full battleship damage at battleship levels of application, and loses a bit of application on the lower end to the loss of bonused light drones, as well as the increased vunerability inherent in concentrating all your drone power into just 2 drones.

As has also been discussed, leaving the Rattlesnake bonus at 7.5 is a direct nerf to the system. Leaving it as a standard drone bonus would be terrifying to smaller craft, as would simply re-bonusing the smaller drones to make up for the loss of flexibility imposed by the superdrone bonus.

The Worm is greaty improved by the superdrone bonus, as is the Gila. The Rattlesnake pays the full cost, but gains few of the benefits without an increase in performance and HP of the superdrones over the standard drone bonus. The missile bonus is no stronger than any other ship that splits bonuses with drones. The nearest equivalent is the Navy Domi, which sports 6 turrets with a 25% bonus (6*1.25=7.5) vs (5*1.5=7.5), while the bonuses on the Amarr line are harder to quantify as they apply to Ewar. Thus no compromise is needed in the missiles for the ship to enjoy the equivalent to a full drone bonus with it's launchers.

The 60% increase in size appropriate drones was established in the bonuses on the lighter hulls already. The Rattlesnake bonus is the outlier, and that should be corrected.
Ahernar
Perkone
Caldari State
#1329 - 2014-04-24 16:04:22 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

People are already mad at losing a free high for a DLA because they can't snipe in their tank bonused BS.

I personally would be in favor of your idea.

No longer "mad" , i finally got it . There are Other ships capable of doing that .Since i multibox i will gladly lose some paper DPS to be able to click my way through 2 main weap sys instead of 4 and the price IS higher so i even made some money too betting in a RS improvement .

Mike Voidstar
#1330 - 2014-04-24 16:07:40 UTC
Gypsio III wrote:
Mike Voidstar wrote:
Gypsio III wrote:

I personally think 10 effective large drones makes a good compromise, though I really feel it's still a tad weak, mostly in HP. Dropping to 9 effective large drones but keeping the full 60% HP boost might make the best compromise. The most elegant is probably to drop the bonus further to 8 effective large drones and keeping the 60% boost, just because I am a bit OCD and it mirrors the bonus deviation on the frigates.

Good. Asking for eight effective drones is reasonable, and justifiable by comparison to the superior drone abilities of the Worm and Gila, and to further differentiate it from the Dominix. Asking for ten or twelve without proposing a cut to the missile abilities is not going to happen though.

I take it then your beef was with the DPS, and not with their effective HP? Sentries will indeed have stout passive shields with a 500% HP bonus.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#1331 - 2014-04-24 16:23:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Topher Basquette Dusch-shur wrote:
I'm sure heavies will be better after the buff, but they are terrible if you are fighting anything fast or if you are PVEing anything but angles. Sentries help with sanity. I use heavies in my Ishtar and only in my Ishtar.

Wait. Didn't you want it to be just a missile boat a couple days ago? I would honestly be fine with it as anything but an only heavy drone platform.

Just to mention current Rattle iteration won't be bad at all. I use RHMLs on mine as is and in PVE it will mean that you one shot any frigate that gets past your sentries. I'm pretty excited to fit this like my Fleet 'Phoon.

How effective would depend entirely on the fit. If you're running rapid heavies with rigors and flares, these take care of frigates and cruisers in short order. Since the missile bonus also applies to rapid lights, that's also an option. So in theory you could use missiles for the smaller stuff and save the heavies for larger targets. And yes, I'd still like a dedicated missile boat - but I'll probably have to wait on that one...

Skarlock Tremillion wrote:
To fall in line with the other Garista ships it would have to be two heavy drones.

Sure, 2 drones is fine too. I'm not sure what bonus would need to be to be in-line with the other Guristas ships (not the drone expert).

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

KaDa en Bauldry
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1332 - 2014-04-24 16:49:18 UTC
Forum tried to eat my post.
Might have been better that way, but remembered my own sig Roll
Mike Voidstar wrote:
The Worm is greaty improved by the superdrone bonus, as is the Gila. The Rattlesnake pays the full cost, but gains few of the benefits without an increase in performance and HP of the superdrones over the standard drone bonus. The missile bonus is no stronger than any other ship that splits bonuses with drones. The nearest equivalent is the Navy Domi, which sports 6 turrets with a 25% bonus (6*1.25=7.5) vs (5*1.5=7.5), while the bonuses on the Amarr line are harder to quantify as they apply to Ewar. Thus no compromise is needed in the missiles for the ship to enjoy the equivalent to a full drone bonus with it's launchers.

Yupp, laying it out like this in one post makes a difference to someone who doesn't recall the last X pages.

So in short, your point is that it doesn't gain as much as the Guristas ships below compared to their weight class.

Plus there is also how weird it compares to other pirate ships, that have only one primary weapon system but heavily bonused, and also some new trick compared to their nearest navy equivalent (falloff, AB, Neut, Web).

Instead, we keep the shield resist which is the only thing it has straight ahead of a navy domi (not counting the downsizable launchers that is a fitting choice with it's own sacrifices).

Considering how I'm training away from the Rattlesnake, and that even these changes didn't make me stop that (though they got me thinking)... I'll rethink this.

Don't forget about ship insurance before undocking. Don't forget about copy-paste saving before posting.

Mike Voidstar
#1333 - 2014-04-24 17:02:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Mike Voidstar
KaDa en Bauldry wrote:
Forum tried to eat my post.
Might have been better that way, but remembered my own sig Roll
Mike Voidstar wrote:

Yupp, laying it out like this in one post makes a difference to someone who doesn't recall the last X pages.

So in short, your point is that it doesn't gain as much as the Guristas ships below compared to their weight class.

Plus there is also how weird it compares to other pirate ships, that have only one primary weapon system but heavily bonused, and also some new trick compared to their nearest navy equivalent (falloff, AB, Neut, Web).

Instead, we keep the shield resist which is the only thing it has straight ahead of a navy domi (not counting the downsizable launchers that is a fitting choice with it's own sacrifices).

Considering how I'm training away from the Rattlesnake, and that even these changes didn't make me stop that (though they got me thinking)... I'll rethink this.

Exactly. The superdrone bonus has been poorly scaled to the battleship class.

I don't feel a somewhat significant DPS increase on large drones would put the ship out of line, and while the 17.5 effective weapons that allowing a bonus of 10 effective drones results in sounds overly strong, it is offset by those weapons being drones with their generally lower DPS, the a split weapon setup with the inherent difficulties of fitting (which is further exacerbated by losing a slot to the drone bonus), and the option of fitting lighter launchers to take advantage of the ship's flexibility.

That said, there is merit in a lesser DPS increase so long as HP of the drones gets the full 60% bonus. This is what happened at the frigate end of the spectrum in reverse, where DPS increased by 60%, but the HP increased only slightly.
Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#1334 - 2014-04-24 17:51:01 UTC
Mike Voidstar wrote:

I take it then your beef was with the DPS, and not with their effective HP? Sentries will indeed have stout passive shields with a 500% HP bonus.

Yeah, I don't think drone passive tank is ever going to be seen as a problem. But, yes, the DPS and projection from, say, 10 effective sentries and 7.5 effective launchers will be too much, so taking the drones that far would have to be in exchange for a launcher.
KaDa en Bauldry
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1335 - 2014-04-24 17:54:06 UTC  |  Edited by: KaDa en Bauldry
Mike Voidstar wrote:
Exactly. The superdrone bonus has been poorly scaled to the battleship class.

I don't feel a somewhat significant DPS increase on large drones would put the ship out of line, and while the 17.5 effective weapons that allowing a bonus of 10 effective drones results in sounds overly strong, it is offset by those weapons being drones with their generally lower DPS, the a split weapon setup with the inherent difficulties of fitting (which is further exacerbated by losing a slot to the drone bonus), and the option of fitting lighter launchers to take advantage of the ship's flexibility.

That said, there is merit in a lesser DPS increase so long as HP of the drones gets the full 60% bonus. This is what happened at the frigate end of the spectrum in reverse, where DPS increased by 60%, but the HP increased only slightly.

Maybe swapping the missile bonus for a second drone one thus leaving the 5 launchers unbonused?
Heck, then it could be a lower generic drone bonus (starting with 5% damage/health per Gallente skill for the sake of discussion, or even just damage only) to all drones for instance (or just the super ones).

Would elliminate the weakness in how it's the only pirate ship recieving split weapon bonuses instead of OP bonuses to a primary.
Would bring the trouble of being a "pure drone carrier".
Would break the Gurista line's profile.
And it would elliminate the joy of those who are happy for finally getting a (partially) missile-based pirate battleship.

Hmm...
As if someone already suggested something like this...

Kueyen
Angharradh's Aegis
#1336 - 2014-04-24 18:15:10 UTC
The Rattlesnake was the first battleship I flew (an Alliance present on my first EVEversary, almost 3 years ago).

In my humble opinion, reversing the decision to add a 5th launcher (7.5 effective launchers » 6 effective launchers), and add a bit more drone functionality and efficiency fixes nearly every complaint I've read on these 70+ pages:

• too much focus on missiles, not enough on drones for what has always been, and should remain, the epitome of Droneboats.
  • lack of high slots for DLAs / Remote reppers (that IS the point of superdrones, right? To make it feasible to repair them on the fly by only having to give up 2 of your target locks and having enough time to respond to incoming damage?)
  • CPU fitting problems caused by the 5th launcher and/or the drone control rig needed to compensate for the reduced DLA count
  • launcher asymmetry (yes, what some have asked for the Machariel would take zero effort to not-change here)

What form the additional drone functionality should take is debatable. One could start with increasing the sentry/heavy bonus to 8 effective drones (+275% » +300%, matching the Worm). Next, adding 25m³ (175m³ » 200m³, one extra flight of light drones) drone bay back. Other improvements could be an additional locked target (7 » 8, of which you use 2 to lock your own superdrones) and a bit better scan resolution (100mm » 110mm) for locking your own drones to remote-rep. None of these improvements require additional named bonusses, they're "just numbers".

The best improvement, of course, would be eliminating the "Drone ship, therefore -1 slot" penalty that neither the Worm or the Gila seem to have (so, 20 slots like the Vindicator and the Machariel; not 19 like the Bhaalgorn and the Nightmare which have massive highslot bonusses that explain their reduced slot count). Whether to add it as a High slot (DLA, remote repper), Mid slot (tank, prop, application), or low (Dps, DC2), could be the next great debate. If we'd be so lucky, I'd vote Mid slot, for a 6/8/6 layout.

Until all are free...

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1337 - 2014-04-24 18:23:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Frostys Virpio
Kueyen wrote:

• too much focus on missiles, not enough on drones for what has always been, and should remain, the epitome of Droneboats.

• Thats not intended as per the Guristas ship line design principle given by Rise.

Kueyen wrote:

• lack of high slots for DLAs / Remote reppers (that IS the point of superdrones, right? To make it feasible to repair them on the fly by only having to give up 2 of your target locks and having enough time to respond to incoming damage?)

• They might not intend the ship to be used as a sentry sniper thus removing the "need" to put a DLA in the utility slot so you can put a repper there instead. Then the high HP drones can tank enough for you to react and start repping it.
    KaDa en Bauldry
    Aliastra
    Gallente Federation
    #1338 - 2014-04-24 18:25:47 UTC  |  Edited by: KaDa en Bauldry
    Kueyen wrote:
  • CPU fitting problems caused by the 5th launcher and/or the drone control rig needed to compensate for the reduced DLA count

• Lack of high slots isn't that bad (personal oppinion), as it still has one more free than the potato we all love.
  • Drone rigs are useless, it's Rigor rigs for missiles (for hitting smaller/faster targets as launchers doesn't have the Domi's luxury of rail ignoring tracking if the target is far enough) that eat the CPU. And torps. That need tripple rigors more than anything.

• The point of superdrones?
    Good question.
    On one side, they are more immune to bombs and survive longer under focus fire.
    Or maybe it's just because the more drones you have, the more server load you cause, and CCP doesn't like that. The AI introduced to missions kill them nowhere near fast enough.
    Remote repairs are probably not their point. If so, the Nestor would get them instead.

Kueyen
    Angharradh's Aegis
    #1339 - 2014-04-24 18:39:38 UTC
    Ok, ok, maybe Rattlesnakes don't need to be the epitome of Droneboats. But, compare the effective launchers (with kin/therm ammo) and the effective drones (of the appropriate size) on the Gila (6/12) and the Worm (3/8), and see that 7.5/7.5 is a serious deviation from the previously established Guristas Missile/Drone balance, whereas 6/8 matches the pattern better.

Until all are free...

Topher Basquette Dusch-shur
    Montana Freedom Fighters
    #1340 - 2014-04-24 18:53:12 UTC
    Arthur Aihaken wrote:

How effective would depend entirely on the fit. If you're running rapid heavies with rigors and flares, these take care of frigates and cruisers in short order. Since the missile bonus also applies to rapid lights, that's also an option. So in theory you could use missiles for the smaller stuff and save the heavies for larger targets. And yes, I'd still like a dedicated missile boat - but I'll probably have to wait on that one...

Precision ammo in the RHML is still great for frigs. Really no need for rigors and flares in most cases and I try not to rig a ship for the exceptions, I would rather fit a web or painter.

I'm right with you on the missiles though. This as as close as we'll get for the next couple years.