These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Removing Local from 0.0

First post
Author
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#41 - 2014-04-24 14:01:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Andski
Belt Scout wrote:
People that need local are just afraid of the dark. Having no local list of names in w-space works just fine. (Unless you're dumb enough, or new enough, to 'opt in' with a pubbie o7m8 in the window.)

Get rid of local in the entire game and balance it by pushing the dscan range up and adding a special 'Pilots' tab that will populate when you hit scan.

It'll never happen because the leet peeveepee'rs need their security blanket.

Can we get wormhole stabilizers and the ability to project force into wormhole space with supercapitals and titan bridges, considering that wormholers hide behind the security blanket of wormhole mass limitations and the fact that jump drives don't work there?

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Dave Stark
#42 - 2014-04-24 14:09:37 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Look at the Nullbears crying.

My god, its disgusting.

to be honest, crying is your thing.

usually because you keep posting stupid things. which people keep having to correct, which seems to really upset you.
Drone 16
Holy Horde
#43 - 2014-04-24 14:11:16 UTC
Andski wrote:
Belt Scout wrote:
People that need local are just afraid of the dark. Having no local list of names in w-space works just fine. (Unless you're dumb enough, or new enough, to 'opt in' with a pubbie o7m8 in the window.)

Get rid of local in the entire game and balance it by pushing the dscan range up and adding a special 'Pilots' tab that will populate when you hit scan.

It'll never happen because the leet peeveepee'rs need their security blanket.

Can we get wormhole stabilizers and the ability to project force into wormhole space with supercapitals and titan bridges, considering that wormholers hide behind the security blanket of wormhole mass limitations and the fact that jump drives don't work there?

Are you saying that you can't bring fights unless you have the security of knowing you can bridge in "the blob" with supercapital support?!

I know that isn't true. If you keep saying things like that people will lose respect for Goons. Please make a correction , thanks.

It puts the peanutbutter on itself or it leaves the bonus round... - E1's greatest Hits

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#44 - 2014-04-24 14:12:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Andski
Notice how nobody in this thread has brought up the fact that the game provides tons of intelligence on k-space systems, such as the number of ships killed, number of active cynos, whether a cyno array is active in the system, number of NPCs killed, jumps in the last hour, jumps in the last 24 hours, activity indices that can indicate how much mining and anomaly running takes place, pilots in space in the last 30 minutes, number of docked pilots - and none of that data requires a player to even undock from a system across the galaxy.

But local is the problem, not the other forms of free intel that benefit me because my targets should be deafblind sheep to my wolf

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2014-04-24 14:13:01 UTC
Adoris Nolen wrote:
This needs to happen. The constant whining about AFK cloakers is hilarious.
Imagine no local, having to watch gates & dscan. There's already a space like that in Eve & it doesnt even have moon spew.

Nerf 0.0 Lol

You could close the window called local and pretend its not there any more.
Salvos Rhoska
#46 - 2014-04-24 14:13:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
Part of having autonomy in Sov, is responsibility for defending it.
That SHOULD include having to do your own intel and system reconnaisance.

Automated mail systems and a universal Local make sense in NPC space, but not in sectors where Sov is held by players.

Whining that you should have Local in Null, is no different than highseccers whining for faster Concord intervention.
Both are based on automatic and essentially NPC based effects.

Stop crying for and trying to defend an automated system making Sov even easier

The tables are turning. Null will receive its deserved higher nominal profitability.
Thereafter, its time to start adjusting, and in particular, removing NPC based and automated systems from Null and relegating them instead to player action.

You cant argue for wanting player autonomous systems on hand, but then tryi g to defend having automated non-players systems on the otherhand.

Its a fallacious hypocrisy and the worst kind of Null pedantry, when they try to lecture High on its "advantages" and lack of risk, but then hedgedly want the same privileges for their own more profitable systems.

No.

Patrol and probe your own space. If you want automated and NPC systems, then move back to those sectors that are under them.

And these arguments of "if this is changed, we will steamroll the rest of Null with it" only carry so much weight.
Its a convenient argument, and surely often true, but be careful how often you throw it around without just cause.

Somthing has to change in Null and Sov mechanics, and more likeky than not, it will be something that inconveniences its current hegemounous overlords. That is predictable, why? Because the current system of Null/Sov is exactly the one that allowed this abomination of a doughnut to come to exist in the first place.
Myriad Blaze
Common Sense Ltd
Nulli Secunda
#47 - 2014-04-24 14:14:28 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
There is no rational reason why Null should have Local.

I'd say there's no rational reason either, why Low should have Local. Or high-sec.

Or why there are jump-gates in Null. Or why CONCORD appears out of thin air. Or why asteroid belts "regrow" after being mined out. Or why NPCs have a seemingly endless supply of fitted ships (who builds that stuff ?). Or why stations are apparently larger inside than outside (how much stuff is stored in Jita 4-4 ?). Or why acceleration gates appear in space when you start certain missions and vanish again when the mission is done. Or ... well I could continue, but I think you get the idea.

There are many things in EVE that seem to have no rational reason (other than "it should work, lets do it").
But before you change these things you should better have good reasons and a good idea about what will probably happen after such a change. And you should question yourself whether you want those (long term) results.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#48 - 2014-04-24 14:19:26 UTC
Drone 16 wrote:
Are you saying that you can't bring fights unless you have the security of knowing you can bridge in "the blob" with supercapital support?!

I know that isn't true. If you keep saying things like that people will lose respect for Goons. Please make a correction , thanks.

No, I'm saying that wormholes don't have local because it's a tradeoff to prevent what would be insanely easymode gameplay. Local would be ridiculously overpowered in a wormhole compared to anywhere else in the game.

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#49 - 2014-04-24 14:20:32 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Somthing has to change in Null and Sov mechanics, and more likeky than not, it will be something that inconveniences its current hegemounous overlords. That is predictable, why? Because the current system of Null/Sov is exactly the one that allowed this abomination of a doughnut to come to exist in the first place.

sorry hisec miner guy, local isn't why 0.0 has been condensed into two supercoalitions

Solecist Project
#50 - 2014-04-24 14:20:49 UTC
*sips blood orange juice*

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Salvos Rhoska
#51 - 2014-04-24 14:22:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
Myriad Blaze wrote:
But before you change these things you should better have good reasons and a good idea about what will probably happen after such a change. And you should question yourself whether you want those (long term) results.

Then how do you propose to fix Null and Sovs mechanics?

Andski wrote:
sorry hisec miner guy, local isn't why 0.0 has been condensed into two supercoalitions

Implying I have ever claimed so. It is however, one avenue for fixing the current status quo.

And believe me, I hate mining just as much as you do
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#52 - 2014-04-24 14:23:51 UTC
Myriad Blaze wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
There is no rational reason why Null should have Local.

I'd say there's no rational reason either, why Low should have Local. Or high-sec.

Or why there are jump-gates in Null. Or why CONCORD appears out of thin air. Or why asteroid belts "regrow" after being mined out. Or why NPCs have a seemingly endless supply of fitted ships (who builds that stuff ?). Or why stations are apparently larger inside than outside (how much stuff is stored in Jita 4-4 ?). Or why acceleration gates appear in space when you start certain missions and vanish again when the mission is done. Or ... well I could continue, but I think you get the idea.

There are many things in EVE that seem to have no rational reason (other than "it should work, lets do it").

Well said.

There are gameplay reason why some things exist the way they do. Remove those things without a good gameplay reason (and no, 'it doesn't make sense in the lore' is not a gameplay reason) and you invite bad things to happen.

Some people fall so in love with their own ideas that they don't properly criticize them like they should. Then when people tell them 'this is a bad idea'. they 1st get defensive then go on to accuse the more clear thinking people of having some kind of agenda.

Well, personally, i do have an agenda, i want the game I play (the WHOLE game) to not suck. Removing local in null is about as stupid idea as removing lvl4s from high sec.

. Of course, as with nulll local, lvl 4s in high sec make no sense rational sense. How do non-capsuleer pirates get MILLIONS of battleships into the same high sec that spawns magical space police to blap capsuleers who shoot at other capsuleers? Why doesn't CONCORD blap all those pirate npc battleships?

Because the game needs it to be the way it is, that's why.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#53 - 2014-04-24 14:26:08 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Myriad Blaze wrote:

Then how do you propose to fix Null and Sovs mechanics?

By thinking about them. about the desired results and recognizing the potential consequences to gameplay.

Not by making knee jerk changes based on "I don't like this" or "this makes no sense lorewise". There are probably lots of good rational changes that could occur, and a null without local if done right can work. But it's a complex problem and you don't solve complex problems by doing simple (and dumb) things.
Salvos Rhoska
#54 - 2014-04-24 14:28:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
Jenn aSide wrote:

The game does not want, or need, for the Null situation to be as it is.

How do YOU propose to fix Null and Sovs mechanics?
You answered when I asked another poster, but you did not answer the actual question.
You merely elaborated on how a solution should be created, whihc I agree with, but the false implication that you made, that this spexidic proposal has not been considered, was false and wrong. It has.

So, what are YOUR specific suggestions?
Dave Stark
#55 - 2014-04-24 14:30:55 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

The game does not want, or need, for the Null situation to be as it is.

How do YOU propose to fix Null and Sovs mechanics?
You answered when I asked another poster.

What are YOUR specific suggestions?

of course the game doesn't want or need it. it's not a sentient being and it's not controlled by skynet.

null sec being "broken" isn't the topic here, stop pretending it is.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#56 - 2014-04-24 14:31:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Andski
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Implying I have ever claimed so. It is however, one avenue for fixing the current status quo.

No it's not. It's not even an alleyway leading to any of those avenues. Changing local will have zero effect on the status quo and it'll only affect how much people actually play in 0.0 outside of bloc-level warfare.

Salvos Rhoska
#57 - 2014-04-24 14:33:33 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:

of course the game doesn't want or need it. it's not a sentient being and it's not controlled by skynet.

null sec being "broken" isn't the topic here, stop pretending it is.

Fallacious argument.

The game is populated by players. It is their wants and needs which are the issue.
How to fix them, are the games issue.

Nice try though, albeit juvenile.
Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
Goonswarm Federation
#58 - 2014-04-24 14:34:10 UTC
Adoris Nolen wrote:
This needs to happen. The constant whining about AFK cloakers is hilarious.
Imagine no local, having to watch gates & dscan. There's already a space like that in Eve & it doesnt even have moon spew.

Nerf 0.0 Lol

Remove local everywhere!

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#59 - 2014-04-24 14:35:16 UTC
Every time a troll is bored this thread appears Ugh It's been like this for years.

I'll repeat the same from the last 9000 threads on the same subject:

If you like an environment without local, go play in W-Space. Nothing is stopping you.
There are players who like playing in 0.0 and don't like W-Space mechanics. They are playing where they like to play.

If you don't like the environment that you are in, go to another environment. Diversity of supported play styles is what makes EVE so great.
Salvos Rhoska
#60 - 2014-04-24 14:35:36 UTC
Andski wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:

No it's not. It's not even an alleyway leading to any of those avenues. Changing local will have zero effect on the status quo and it'll only affect how much people actually play in 0.0 outside of bloc-level warfare.

Contrdictory.

You state it will not affect the status quo, yet immedistely thereafter make an observation of how, indeed, it will affect it.

What are YOUR suggestions to fixing Null and Sov then?
Be as specific as possible please.