These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Removing Local from 0.0

First post
Author
Salvos Rhoska
#21 - 2014-04-24 12:36:27 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Adding a separate Sov payed option of access to Local is not unreasonable.
The assumption that it is a deserved "entitled" mechanic, however, is completely false.

There should be no Local in Null, without the Sov holders explicitly paying for that privilege and service.

which they already do; sov bills.

so we're agreed local shouldn't be removed. good.

Lol.

Thanks for showing yourself to be a self-entitled carebear.
How utterly disgusting.

Sov bills cover a license to run that space, not access to the additional Local service.
Currently, it is "gratis". That has to change.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#22 - 2014-04-24 12:49:06 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Bolded that part that makes 0.0 not wormhole space.

Its not NPC space either.

Why should you get the data for free?
Who is paying for it?

you don't pay for it in npc space either, try again.

The NPCs do.
They run the space.
They OWN the space.

Do you not understand the difference?
Or is your false sense of carebear entitlment blocking your vision?

TRY AGAIN

Please link proof of NPCs paying bills please/thanks.

Local exists as a playability function outside of the lore. The reason we have local everywhere except wormholes is because the mechanics of EVE online allows for opposing players to meet quickly (a target is just seconds away via warp) and because EVe Onlines main mode of player travel are these artificial choke points called gates. There is also the fast travel option known as jump bridges (delivered via cyno).

Without local in space that has easy access (gates/cynos) and stealth mechanics (cloaks), the balance shifts towards the aggressor way to much to have a balanced game. no one in their right minds would use gate/cyno connected space with no local .

Wormholes work with no local because of the increase difficulty of entering and leaving the space. Other than getting podded, the onyl way out of a wormhole is via probing (some has to probe the exit, even if it's not you) and THE only way in in the 1st place is to use probes, which is a lot slower than just clicking a gate icon and warping.

Even with the increase time/effort it takes to find entracnes and exits to wormholes, wormhole space STLL the most dangerous (per capita) place in EVE while being the least populated.

No local (or only "paid for SOV local) in null (unless you change the way gates, cynos, warping, D-scan and cloaks work ie re-write the whole game) would be a disaster. And not just for null, but for the rest of EVE as Null is the destruction engine that keeps null working as well as the source of most deadspace mods/ships that high sec relies on for PVE activities..

TL;DR We've been over this time and time again in F&I and the in game situation hasn't changed, there is just to much you'd have to do to EVE 1st to make no local in null work without screwing up so much other stuff.

Dave Stark
#23 - 2014-04-24 12:53:47 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
The assumption that it is a deserved "entitled" mechanic, however, is completely false.

There should be no Local in Null, without the Sov holders explicitly paying for that privilege and service.

which they already do; sov bills.

so we're agreed local shouldn't be removed. good.

Lol.

Thanks for showing yourself to be a self-entitled carebear.
How utterly disgusting.

Sov bills cover a license to run that space, not access to the additional Local service.
Currently, it is "gratis". That has to change.

point out people pay for the space you say they should be paying for.... and i'm an entitled carebear.

i'm sure that works in your world of bunnies and stupidity.
Yim Sei
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#24 - 2014-04-24 12:57:32 UTC
I Love these threads for the pure fear it instills in the nullbear renter community.

In fact I would hazard a guess that most of the replies berating or insulting the OP are said bears quaking in their boots that their safe little nullsec bubble might burst XD.

It DOES make perfect sense with the current 'scare' of nerfing hi-sec.
Imagine a far more profitable, but far more dangerous null.

...but seriously if this did happen, how it would decimate the nullsec renter alliances - lol.

Surely a massive cut in the profits of CFC, Tangra etc - and that capsuleers, is why (unfiotunately) it will never happen.

Post with my main? This is my main - I just overtrain and overplay my alts.

Lancastor Dex
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#25 - 2014-04-24 12:57:33 UTC
Adoris Nolen wrote:
This needs to happen. The constant whining about AFK cloakers is hilarious.
Imagine no local, having to watch gates & dscan. There's already a space like that in Eve & it doesnt even have moon spew.

Nerf 0.0 Lol

Shut up
Salvos Rhoska
#26 - 2014-04-24 13:08:37 UTC
Look at the Nullbears crying.

My god, its disgusting.
BrundleMeth
State War Academy
Caldari State
#27 - 2014-04-24 13:09:54 UTC
Talks about whining?

Stop whining....whiner...
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#28 - 2014-04-24 13:12:16 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:

My god, its disgusting.

That's why you always end up in flame wars, because you aren't interested in the truth of a matter (or other people's opinions on those matters). I for one explained to you why what you want to think is wrong. CCP has been explaining it for 10 years by not changing it lol.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#29 - 2014-04-24 13:13:52 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:

There should be no Local in Null, without the Sov holders explicitly paying for that privilege and service, whether thtough constructed and maintained infrastructure, or by outsourcing it to the gate authorities for an ISK charge.

Make no mistake, post expansion, when Null can fairly be said to be more profitable, it is time to start re-evaluating and adjusting exactly what it is that Null is taking for granted. Be prepared to pay for every single inch of it..
If this happened, it would just be paid for as standard. It would be nothing more than another isk sink. The game would not change, people wouldn't suddenly be flying around in giant wormholes screaming "wheeee" and nuking miners, there would just be 1 more thing to pay for, and 1 more hurdle for any group that isn't an enormous group trying to claim a part of null. The large groups would just pass the charge on through a distributed price rise on rental space, while smaller, more independent groups would have to figure out how to source the income elsewhere, so *shrug*.

That said, it's never going to happen. The force projection issues in null sec pretty much guarantee that.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#30 - 2014-04-24 13:14:44 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:

My god, its disgusting.
That's why you always end up in flame wars, because you aren't interested in the truth of a matter (or other people's opinions on those matters). I for one explained to you why what you want to think is wrong. CCP has been explaining it for 10 years by not changing it lol.
Never mind him, he just assumes everything is tears so he has fap material for later.

Salvos Rhoska
#31 - 2014-04-24 13:15:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
Jenn aSide wrote:
That's why you always end up in flame wars

You have me confused, with you.

If you think Null is not in need of major security and Sov overhauls, you are even more knee-deep in self-entitlement than was already obvious.

The risks you posted for Local, run both ways. They are equally an advantage, and a detractant, to both sides.
As long as Local data is universally available to everyone in the system, it is a broken system.

Best way out of that, is to remove it.
There is no rational reason why Null should have Local.

And make no mistake, I and others will make CERTAIN you Nullbears are revealed for what the self-entitled whiners you are in the upcoming months.
Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#32 - 2014-04-24 13:24:12 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
And make no mistake, I and others will make CERTAIN you Nullbears are revealed for what the self-entitled whiners you are in the upcoming months.

Oh my golly gosh.
Jaun Pacht-Feng
Doomheim
#33 - 2014-04-24 13:24:13 UTC
Adoris Nolen wrote:
This needs to happen. The constant whining about AFK cloakers is hilarious.
Imagine no local, having to watch gates & dscan. There's already a space like that in Eve & it doesnt even have moon spew.

Nerf 0.0 Lol

FOX News 24 Reporting in!

Noob doesn't know the difference of 0.0 and Wormhole space!

This and more at 11!

"Go Goon or Go Home"

Perfect description of the biggest problem with Eve. 

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#34 - 2014-04-24 13:24:40 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

If you think Null is not in need of major security and Sov overhauls, you are even more knee-deep in self-entitlement than was already obvious.

The risks you posted for Local, run both ways. They are equally an advantage, and a detractant, to both sides.
As long as Local data is universally available to everyone in the system, it is a broken system.

This post essentially says "If you don't agree with what I am saying, then you are categorically wrong, proven by the fact that you disagree with me."

And there's loads of rational reasons null should have local. In fact, the reason you think it shouldn't have it is an irrational reason, because the reason you think it shouldn't have it is because you hate null players. If it were removed entirely, it would empty null out in a day since power projection would make it suicide to do anything serious in null, so we'd all move to low sec and kick all of those guys out. If it were "pay to use", we'd just pay and smaller groups would get even more crushed.

And i don;t think anyone cares if you want to voice your opinions about us ebil nullbears. You realise nobody takes you seriously right? You are just "one of those forum trolls" at this point.

E-2C Hawkeye
HOW to PEG SAFETY
#35 - 2014-04-24 13:29:43 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Bolded that part that makes 0.0 not wormhole space.

Its not NPC space either.

Why should you get the data for free?
Who is paying for it?

you don't pay for it in npc space either, try again.

The NPCs do.
They run the space.
They OWN the space.

Do you not understand the difference?
Or is your false sense of carebear entitlment blocking your vision?

TRY AGAIN

Please link proof of NPCs paying bills please/thanks.

Local exists as a playability function outside of the lore. The reason we have local everywhere except wormholes is because the mechanics of EVE online allows for opposing players to meet quickly (a target is just seconds away via warp) and because EVe Onlines main mode of player travel are these artificial choke points called gates. There is also the fast travel option known as jump bridges (delivered via cyno).

Without local in space that has easy access (gates/cynos) and stealth mechanics (cloaks), the balance shifts towards the aggressor way to much to have a balanced game. no one in their right minds would use gate/cyno connected space with no local .

Wormholes work with no local because of the increase difficulty of entering and leaving the space. Other than getting podded, the onyl way out of a wormhole is via probing (some has to probe the exit, even if it's not you) and THE only way in in the 1st place is to use probes, which is a lot slower than just clicking a gate icon and warping.

Even with the increase time/effort it takes to find entracnes and exits to wormholes, wormhole space STLL the most dangerous (per capita) place in EVE while being the least populated.

No local (or only "paid for SOV local) in null (unless you change the way gates, cynos, warping, D-scan and cloaks work ie re-write the whole game) would be a disaster. And not just for null, but for the rest of EVE as Null is the destruction engine that keeps null working as well as the source of most deadspace mods/ships that high sec relies on for PVE activities..

TL;DR We've been over this time and time again in F&I and the in game situation hasn't changed, there is just to much you'd have to do to EVE 1st to make no local in null work without screwing up so much other stuff.

I understand why people wouldnt want to loose the instant intell...as a bluesec player I am torn between the security it brings but I can also see how not having it would prevent some of the blobbing and bring more GF that all us bluesecers look for.

As far as breaking the game I cant see how that would be true since no local works in WH space already.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#36 - 2014-04-24 13:32:05 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

Hard to do since I spend much of my time in high sec lol.

While you might try to dismiss the realites I meantion, it doesn't change the fact that a null with gates and cynos but no local would be (game play wise) unworkable. It's why wormholes are the way they are.

Quote:

This is prejudice and emotion clouding judgment. No one is against good change. A no local environment DONE CORRECTLY can be a good (very very Good) thing and wormholes partially prove that (i say partially because wormholes are still low population zones, local enables people to survive in low and null which is why there are more people in low and null).

But the "just get rid of local" (and change nothing else) thing is stupid.

Local is an integral part of 'K' space design and things would have to be redesigned for the removal of local to not be game breaking. You can't apply a simple fix to a complex intertwined system and expect there to not be numerous negative unintended consequences.

It's a very good thing that you aren't in charge of game design.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#37 - 2014-04-24 13:41:38 UTC
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:

I understand why people wouldnt want to loose the instant intell...as a bluesec player I am torn between the security it brings but I can also see how not having it would prevent some of the blobbing and bring more GF that all us bluesecers look for.

As far as breaking the game I cant see how that would be true since no local works in WH space already.

If you read my post you will see why no local works in wormholes (because wormholes we designed from the ground up to work without local, as evidenced by how their are no gates and cyno/jumpbridging isn't allowed).

Things would have to change for no local to work. A null with no local would simply be a more empty null.

This would affect everyone. The people running missions , incursions and mining in high sec would fine the goods they trade in and the isk they are earning become less valuable as fewer ships are killed in null (because the people carebearing out in null and sometimes dying in carriers wouldn't be doing that any more because that would be stupid).

Null exploration would go from hazardous to suicidal, greatly elevating the prices of null originating deadspace gear that high sec PVe players depend on.

NPC null we become overrun with alliances living there because npc null has missions (and missions, like escalations and unlike null complex and anomaly sites) require an invader to use proves to find their prey. NPC null missions would became thwe new alternative primary isk making source for grunt players and null coalitions would have much more incentive to take npc null space and eny it to others.

Sure, that would mean gudfights for a while, but in the end people would get tired of being blobbed. This, incidentally, is what happens in low sec systems with good lvl 5 agents lol.

Null minig would be greatly affected too, and the consequences of that (for everyone, including high sec) is obvious as well.

There is nothing wrong with good, well thought out change, but knee jerk , simplistic "just remove this one thing" thinking is irresponsible. it's what real life politicans do (change things without thinking it through because that change seems to only affect other people).
Luwc
State War Academy
Caldari State
#38 - 2014-04-24 13:46:57 UTC
+1

lived in CFC null for 3+ years and **** is boring as ****.

remove local

>NOT A TROLL<

http://hugelolcdn.com/i/267520.gif

Yim Sei
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#39 - 2014-04-24 13:52:54 UTC
Why not just have a deployable that removes local ;)

would test the water at least.

Post with my main? This is my main - I just overtrain and overplay my alts.

BrundleMeth
State War Academy
Caldari State
#40 - 2014-04-24 13:55:21 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:

You really are a melodramatic screwball. You're an even bigger whiner than the OP...