These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Kronos] Pirate Faction Battleships

First post First post First post
Author
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#1221 - 2014-04-23 14:44:01 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:

So a ship that will rely on hybrid damage application, all of which requires lowslots to enhance damage, can now also give up some of that damage to improve tracking?

No, what I am saying is that for all you lot complaining that it isn't a pure droneboat? You guys trying to pretend like missiles aren't a thing, and that light drones actually matter... for some reason? Just slap one or two of those on there instead of BCUs and enjoy Heavy Drone dps with good tracking.

On sentries, probably even more overpowered.

It still has exactly the same max drone dps as it did before.

Missiles aren't a "thing" if you want a drone boat but without bonuses to all drones, is it still a drone boat?

And your overpowered Sentries - ECM on 1 drone and you've negated 50% of the drone Dps - Kitsune is looking good for frigate gangs hunting anoms.

Super Drones sound good but will be so easily countered.

All this has been discussed over the previous 60 pages and still getting the same arguments from people who don't look at drone mechanics and think Dps, Ehp is all their is to it.

2 Drones with the Dps of 12 and great tracking are useless if they can't catch a target to apply that damage. Close orbiting without Ecm support will be a problem. Anything kiting will have little trouble with heavies.
To kill super heavies, apply web, orbit at 7500m (10k orbit better) and shot till dead, rinse and repeat.
Not sure if scrams work on drones, if they do it makes the dead drone happen much faster.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Joe Boirele
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1222 - 2014-04-23 14:56:33 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:

So a ship that will rely on hybrid damage application, all of which requires lowslots to enhance damage, can now also give up some of that damage to improve tracking?

No, what I am saying is that for all you lot complaining that it isn't a pure droneboat? You guys trying to pretend like missiles aren't a thing, and that light drones actually matter... for some reason? Just slap one or two of those on there instead of BCUs and enjoy Heavy Drone dps with good tracking.

Missiles aren't a "thing" if you want a drone boat but without bonuses to all drones, is it still a drone boat?

And your overpowered Sentries - ECM on 1 drone and you've negated 50% of the drone Dps - Kitsune is looking good for frigate gangs hunting anoms.

Sentry (and heavy?) drones have a sensor strength of 22.5. You might as well try jamming the rattlesnake. (strength of 30)

Enemies are just friends who stab you in the front.

"We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight!"

Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#1223 - 2014-04-23 15:07:43 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Sgt Ocker wrote:
2 Drones with the Dps of 12 and great tracking are useless if they can't catch a target to apply that damage. Close orbiting without Ecm support will be a problem. Anything kiting will have little trouble with heavies.
To kill super heavies, apply web, orbit at 7500m (10k orbit better) and shot till dead, rinse and repeat.
Not sure if scrams work on drones, if they do it makes the dead drone happen much faster.

*Snip* Please refrain from personal attacks. ISD Ezwal. There are valid arguments for tweaking the drones, but these are not them.

There's no difference between the ability of five normal heavies and two superheavies to catch a target at range. Not that it matters, because if something's kiting you, you should be using sentries anyway.

Someone at 7.5-10 km is unable to prevent heavy drone damage being applied via webbing. It takes too long to lock and web the drone, and it approaches too quickly under MWD. The delay in damage application from the webbed drone is minimal. test it for yourself. That just leaves you with pretty much the same rate of killing of two superheavies as five heavies, because they have the same total EHP.
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#1224 - 2014-04-23 15:19:43 UTC
Joe Boirele wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:

Sentry (and heavy?) drones have a sensor strength of 22.5. You might as well try jamming the rattlesnake. (strength of 30)

No need to jam the Snake if it is using drones - just jam the drones - Kitsune with meta 4 faction specific will knock out targeting every few cycles, 2 will perma jam it. Bring a Falcon you can perma jam drones and the ship (even easier now as there are only 2 drones to worry about). Snake with max skills has 36 sensor strength but can still be jammed.
My Basi has a sensor strength of 51.74 and still gets jammed every now and then.

High sensor strength helps avoid jamming, it doesn't mean you won't get jammed. You don't need to perma jam to negate a lot of the incoming Dps.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Mike Voidstar
Voidstar Free Flight Foundation
#1225 - 2014-04-23 15:38:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Mike Voidstar
Morrigan LeSante wrote:
Mike Voidstar wrote:
God forbid someone mentions PvE, but rats that use ECM will be nearly as bad on a Snake as they are on everyone else not a maurader.

I have PvE'd extensively in guristas space. Can you please explain, as my 750 sentry DPS will remain 750 DPS now and in Summer.

Unless you're worried about a drone being jammed and I can say I've seen that precisely once in countless, untold hours of mission work.

They get jammed, its just that they tend to only jam one. Its maybe annoying if you happen to notice, but they also tend to kill the jammers pretty quick as they attack whatever attacks them unless told otherwise.

With superdrones you are far more likely to notice as there are only two of them, and it will be worse when it happens because the damage is just concentrated into two drones, not increased like on smaller hulls.

Edit: there are no current methods to increase the drone sensors. Unless ECCM mods, skills, etc.. are going to apply to drones then you can expect ewar pilots to shut down superdrones as a real priority, as each drone will be easy to jam and a significant chunk of damage.
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#1226 - 2014-04-23 15:47:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Morrigan LeSante
Well that odd because I'm rather attentive to drones and they dont really have a single one drop to "idle", which is what happened when they got a jam before. I would notice an idle drone for 10 seconds.

NPCs already persecute a single drone for the most part, very rare to get split fire.

Edit: That wouldnt be a smart move as drones can be pulled in and redeployed - they will be back out and firing faster than the ECM cycle. Unless they come back out jammed. That seems to be highly unlikely.
Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
#1227 - 2014-04-23 15:49:03 UTC
So what you're saying is that ECM screws over solo pilots? Well, thanks for that.

Frankly you're better off jamming the Rattlesnake, even with two superheavies. That cuts the cruise damage and eliminates tackle. A Rattlesnake can scoop and redeployed a jammed drone, negating the jam cycle and forcing the ECM pilot to relock the drone. Jamming drones as well as the Rattlesnake will only be a thing when there's plenty of ECM and there's also nothing better to jam. As such, it's hardly likely to be a decisive act.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#1228 - 2014-04-23 15:49:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
I'm going to vainly try to take this thread in another direction... Pirate battleships seem to be midway between Faction and T2 Marauders, with one exception: the Vindicator (and to a lesser extent, the Machariel). Every other single Pirate battleship has at least one utility high - except the Vindicator. Thus, I'm suggesting the following:

Vindicator
Specs: 7h(-1), 5m, 8l(+1); 6 turrets(-2)
Roll Bonus: 75% to large hybrid weapon damage
This is 4.5% less overall damage, but is offset by a utility high and additional low slot.

Machariel
Specs: 7h(-1), 6m(+1), 7l; 6 turrets(-1)
Roll Bonus: 37.5% to large projectile rate of fire
This is a slight damage buff of 2.9%, but provides the Machariel with another mid slot.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#1229 - 2014-04-23 15:59:15 UTC
I do, a hair more CPU on the 'snake please Smile
gascanu
Bearing Srl.
#1230 - 2014-04-23 16:11:41 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Gypsio III wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:

*Snip* Please refrain from personal attacks. ISD Ezwal. There are valid arguments for tweaking the drones, but these are not them.

There's no difference between the ability of five normal heavies and two superheavies to catch a target at range. Not that it matters, because if something's kiting you, you should be using sentries anyway.

Someone at 7.5-10 km is unable to prevent heavy drone damage being applied via webbing. It takes too long to lock and web the drone, and it approaches too quickly under MWD. The delay in damage application from the webbed drone is minimal. test it for yourself. That just leaves you with pretty much the same rate of killing of two superheavies as five heavies, because they have the same total EHP.

i'm sorry but you are wrong; drones do not fire when mwding, and as soon as they get in range they shut down the mwd; the web will slow them out of range and they need to mwd again for 1 cycle to get in range and so on;
all that that have been explained before...

edit:
Quote:
There's no difference between the ability of five normal heavies and two superheavies to catch a target at range

there is a big difference: webbing one out of 5 drones will make you lose 20% dps, so basically no one do that; webbing one out of 2 drones will make you lose 50% dps. that's a pretty big difference don't you think?
Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
#1231 - 2014-04-23 16:20:16 UTC
Morrigan LeSante wrote:
I do, a hair more CPU on the 'snake please Smile

Yeah, it does seem a bit tight in active fits. Considering the Rattler's fewer slots and less efficient use of damage mods in a split-weapon ship, it seems surprising for it to also have these fitting constraints.
epicurus ataraxia
Illusion of Solitude.
Illusion of Solitude
#1232 - 2014-04-23 16:26:42 UTC  |  Edited by: epicurus ataraxia
Ok lets make this as clear as humanly possible.

Current users who have experience of the rattlesnake have serious concerns with the way this has been apparently implemented.
They are pointing out the issues and concerns they have and are unanamous in their opinion that the balance of this concept needs looking at, if it is to have any application as a drone boat in any form.

There is another group who deny there are any issues. And disparage and criticise any who believes otherwise. Their opinion seems to be that it is now a missile boat and drone users should accept whatever they are given without complaint. They manage therefore everyone else is bad for not being as good.

Possibly they are renowned experts in their particular field and their blog posts and web discussion sites avidly followed by all who want to understand eve and be the best they can? and their views should also be taken as representative of other experts and override all other views?Shocked

Or just given the same weight as other players?

Both are opinions. CCP should consider both and make their decision.

But to deny there are concerns is not an option for a reasonable solution.

There is one EvE. Many people. Many lifestyles. WE are EvE

Cassandra Aurilien
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#1233 - 2014-04-23 16:31:55 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
I'm going to vainly try to take this thread in another direction... Pirate battleships seem to be midway between Faction and T2 Marauders, with one exception: the Vindicator (and to a lesser extent, the Machariel). Every other single Pirate battleship has at least one utility high - except the Vindicator. Thus, I'm suggesting the following:

Vindicator
Specs: 7h(-1), 5m, 8l(+1); 6 launchers(-2)
This is 4.5% less overall damage, but is offset by a utility high and additional low slot.

Machariel
Specs: 7h(-1), 6m(+1), 7l; 6 turrets(-1)
Roll Bonus: 37.5% to large projectile rate of fire
This is a slight damage buff of 2.9%, but provides the Machariel with another mid slot.

That's sneaky... Turning the Vindicator into a missile boat on the sly. Big smile
Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
#1234 - 2014-04-23 16:33:09 UTC
gascanu wrote:

i'm sorry but you are wrong; drones do not fire when mwding, and as soon as they get in range they shut down the mwd; the web will slow them out of range and they need to mwd again for 1 cycle to get in range and so on;
all that that have been explained before...

there is a big difference: webbing one out of 5 drones will make you lose 20% dps, so basically no one do that; webbing one out of 2 drones will make you lose 50% dps. that's a pretty big difference don't you think?

No. The situation that you describe simply reflects an incorrect choice of drone by the Rattlesnake pilot. I keep on explaining this but it's not sinking in. The Rattlesnake pilot should not be using heavy drones in this situation so the problem that you describe should never arise.

The only way that you will be able to use a web to drive a heavy drone out of activation range in the way that you describe is if you are flying a fast ship that is not itself tackled. In which case, the Rattlesnake pilot should not be using heavy drones. It should be using sentries.

If you are attempting to orbit around 10 km, then, yes, you can try to web an incoming heavy drone. I've tested this and it doesn't work very well. The heavies are too fast and you're too close. Yes, you could then attempt to burn away and web the drone down, but in this case you just switch to sentries - and frankly you shouldn't have been able to have done this anyway, because of counter-tackle.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1235 - 2014-04-23 16:43:31 UTC
Angeleh wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Almost every other ship deals with frigs with 5 unbonused small drones. The rattler is now on par in that respect. where is the disadvantage?

The disadvantage is that the Rattlesnake was a drone boat, now it is a missile boat. And drone pilots have lost their only shield tanked option.

Its still a drone ship, it just happens to also get a good bonus to its missiles making it a much better ship and one of the most adaptable battleship platforms isk can buy.
Skarlock Tremillion
Angry Rampant Space Gerbils
#1236 - 2014-04-23 16:44:23 UTC
As a Rattler PvE pilot, one of the things I currently love is the flexibility having a large 400 m3 drone bay gives you. Unlike many pilots I don't simply fill it with a few different waves of heavies or sentries. I like to carry a range of drone types for different situations, many of which I may only experience once in a blue moon, but that's part of the fun of fitting out a drone boat for me. I like having EWAR drones, repair drones (hull, shield and armour), a full set of salvage drones and even some mining drones in case I'm in the mood or find a rare asteroid on a mission. It is sad that the change will prevent this with the drone bay being reduced to only 175 m3, so perhaps drone bay capacity could be split into combat and utility drones if CCP are really simply trying to reduce the number of alternative flights of drones or spares?
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#1237 - 2014-04-23 16:47:15 UTC
Cassandra Aurilien wrote:
That's sneaky... Turning the Vindicator into a missile boat on the sly. Big smile

Haha, good spot - should read "turrets". lol. Lol

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1238 - 2014-04-23 16:49:28 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

Vindicator
Specs: 7h(-1), 5m, 8l(+1); 6 turrets(-2)

I will take my 8 guns thanks. If you want the utility then you can use the navy mega.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#1239 - 2014-04-23 16:57:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
baltec1 wrote:
I will take my 8 guns thanks. If you want the utility then you can use the navy mega.

It's not just the utility, it's the extra low slot as well. And less ammunition, capacitor and grid used. Easily worth a 4.5% overall damage hit, when you consider the additional tank, tracking or any other low-slot option.

epicurus ataraxia
Illusion of Solitude.
Illusion of Solitude
#1240 - 2014-04-23 17:03:18 UTC  |  Edited by: epicurus ataraxia
baltec1 wrote:
Angeleh wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Almost every other ship deals with frigs with 5 unbonused small drones. The rattler is now on par in that respect. where is the disadvantage?

The disadvantage is that the Rattlesnake was a drone boat, now it is a missile boat. And drone pilots have lost their only shield tanked option.

Its still a drone ship, it just happens to also get a good bonus to its missiles making it a much better ship and one of the most adaptable battleship platforms isk can buy.

Personally, I do not agree, with the first, it is now a drone ship in name only, but hopefully CCP Rise just didn't put ALL the stats regarding light and mediums because he thought we would assume they were unchanged (*hopeful*. But we will see either way) the third point I am afraid is that is it less adaptable than before so I respectfully do not agree, and neither do many others, but you are also entitled to your opinion. But regarding your second point, yes it does get a strong bonus to the missiles.

There is one EvE. Many people. Many lifestyles. WE are EvE