These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Kronos] Pirate Faction Battleships

First post First post First post
Author
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#1201 - 2014-04-23 12:58:12 UTC
gascanu wrote:

again, are you implying that the new drones will become indestructible or something?

Hardly. Have you thought about how much dps is being applied while they sit there pounding on the drone?

You're talking like 2 or 3 times as many volleys before they start taking less damage from the drones is something inconsequential.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

gascanu
Bearing Srl.
#1202 - 2014-04-23 13:05:47 UTC  |  Edited by: gascanu
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
gascanu wrote:

again, are you implying that the new drones will become indestructible or something?

Hardly. Have you thought about how much dps is being applied while they sit there pounding on the drone?

You're talking like 2 or 3 times as many volleys before they start taking less damage from the drones is something inconsequential.

hardly.
in fact, you can kill the drones before they even get in range and start shooting, you know? and a single smarbomb will cut the missile dps to pieces.

p.s. i'm sorry but it's obvious to me that your knowledge regarding drones is a bit limited; why do you keep arguing on a topic where you have a little or no knowledge is beyond me...
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#1203 - 2014-04-23 13:09:16 UTC
Almost every other ship deals with frigs with 5 unbonused small drones. The rattler is now on par in that respect. where is the disadvantage?

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#1204 - 2014-04-23 13:09:26 UTC
gascanu wrote:

in fact, you can kill the drones before they even get in range and start shooting, you know? and a single smarbomb will cut the missile dps to pieces.

Yeah because every potential opponent has a large smartbomb, right? They totally get to prepare in advance for your ship, and not the other way around?

The fact that you have to try and contrive these worst case scenarios before the Rattlesnake starts to look sub optimal is just crumbling your position further.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#1205 - 2014-04-23 13:17:46 UTC
rattlers had to be weary of smartbombs before. if anything, they are more resistant to them now.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

gascanu
Bearing Srl.
#1206 - 2014-04-23 13:26:18 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
gascanu wrote:

Yeah because every potential opponent has a large smartbomb, right? They totally get to prepare in advance for your ship, and not the other way around?

The fact that you have to try and contrive these worst case scenarios before the Rattlesnake starts to look sub optimal is just crumbling your position further.

lol;
see. you just prove my point;
they will die not because everyone will have a large smartbomb(between us you don't need a large one to kill missiles)
they will die because everyone will fit guns. and light drones. or is that also me " try and contrive these worst case scenarios"?
*Snip* Please refrain from personal attacks. ISD Ezwal.
you launch your heavy drones.break
you give them the command to attack your target. break
your drones will start mwding toward your target. break
if your target is 30km away for example, he will just shoot them while they mwd towards him, killing them:
there! that's your" worst case scenario";
Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#1207 - 2014-04-23 13:30:38 UTC
gascanu wrote:

hardly.

p.s. i'm sorry but it's obvious to me that your knowledge regarding drones is a bit limited; why do you keep arguing on a topic where you have a little or no knowledge is beyond me...

Neither of these concerns are credible.

In a situation where deploying heavy drones is the correct choice (rather than sentries), there is almost no chance of any ship being able to keep one out of optimal for any meaningful length of time, let alone destroy it before it gets there. This is because heavies are only sensibly used against slow, nearby targets which are unable to run fast enough, even while webbing the incoming drone, to stay out of range. The only case where this would work to any useful effect would involve a 90% web, and even then scoop/redeploy tactics would likely render it useless.

It is correct to say that a hit by a med or large smartbomb will destroy a volley of cruise. The problem is that the cruise volley travels the 5 km radius of a large smartbomb in about 0.7 s. With a smartbomb cycle time of 7.5 s, this means that you essentially have a <10% chance of a randomly-timed smartbomb cycle destroying the incoming volley. Over a long period of time, this equates to a <10% loss in missile applied DPS, at a not inconsiderable cap cost. The loss of the missile velocity bonus means this figure is slightly higher than it used to be (6.3%) but since almost nobody uses smartbombs in small-scale brawls for this purpose (firewalls are a fleet thing, really), this is not a concern.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#1208 - 2014-04-23 13:37:41 UTC
gascanu wrote:

you launch your heavy drones.break
you give them the command to attack your target. break
your drones will start mwding toward your target. break
if your target is 30km away for example, he will just shoot them while they mwd towards him, killing them:

Forget the part where heavy drones are getting a 40%+ base mwd speed increase? (the higher number will be further increased with skills, what's more)

They have a lot less time to shoot them than you're claiming.

He has to swap to his drone tab (because no one is stupid enough to use the mouse), lock them, and start shooting. Meanwhile the super drones have more effective hitpoints than a player frigate.

Or, for crying out loud, you can still use sentries. He can sit and shoot those all he wants, I'll get a good laugh.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
#1209 - 2014-04-23 13:49:36 UTC
gascanu wrote:

Bad piloting can't be helped. If the target is 30 km away, then you should be using sentries and the heavy drone problem never arises.
gascanu
Bearing Srl.
#1210 - 2014-04-23 13:51:33 UTC
Gypsio III wrote:
gascanu wrote:

hardly.

Neither of these concerns are credible.

In a situation where deploying heavy drones is the correct choice (rather than sentries), there is almost no chance of any ship being able to keep one out of optimal for any meaningful length of time, let alone destroy it before it gets there. This is because heavies are only sensibly used against slow, nearby targets which are unable to run fast enough, even while webbing the incoming drone, to stay out of range. The only case where this would work to any useful effect would involve a 90% web, and even then scoop/redeploy tactics would likely render it useless.

It is correct to say that a hit by a med or large smartbomb will destroy a volley of cruise. The problem is that the cruise volley travels the 5 km radius of a large smartbomb in about 0.7 s. With a smartbomb cycle time of 7.5 s, this means that you essentially have a <10% chance of a randomly-timed smartbomb cycle destroying the incoming volley. Over a long period of time, this equates to a <10% loss in missile applied DPS, at a not inconsiderable cap cost. The loss of the missile velocity bonus means this figure is slightly higher than it used to be (6.3%) but since almost nobody uses smartbombs in small-scale brawls for this purpose (firewalls are a fleet thing, really), this is not a concern.

you are correct and incorrect;
while your thoughts about smarbombs are correct, but that's another entire discution;

but, with only 6 heavy/sentry drones in your drone bay you don't have too many options; long/short range sentrys and a flight of heavys plus 1 light or ecm or light drones; 6 drones, that's not much...
even so, 1 ship can kill 2 heavy drones using one web very easy; they have a bad habit of mwding allot and twill boost theyr radius quite a bit, you see...
gascanu
Bearing Srl.
#1211 - 2014-04-23 13:59:42 UTC  |  Edited by: gascanu
Gypsio III wrote:
gascanu wrote:

Bad piloting can't be helped. If the target is 30 km away, then you should be using sentries and the heavy drone problem never arises.

that was just one example; ii was trying to explain how you can lose your drone dps before even it can start applying;
Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
#1212 - 2014-04-23 14:03:53 UTC
gascanu wrote:

but, with only 6 heavy/sentry drones in your drone bay you don't have too many options; long/short range sentrys and a flight of heavys plus 1 light or ecm or light drones; 6 drones, that's not much...
even so, 1 ship can kill 2 heavy drones using one web very easy; they have a bad habit of mwding allot and twill boost theyr radius quite a bit, you see...

But this is no different to today! The EHP of five current drones is the same as the EHP of two future ones, while the current Rattler and hold three sets of heavies/sentries, the same as the proposed one! Any ship that could kill the proposed heavies is also capable of killing the current ones, at pretty much the same rate, with only minor changes from the easier targeting.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#1213 - 2014-04-23 14:04:54 UTC
gascanu wrote:
Gypsio III wrote:
gascanu wrote:

that it was just one example; ii was trying to explain how you can lose your drone dps before even it can start applying;

If you're doing it wrong, perhaps.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
#1214 - 2014-04-23 14:12:01 UTC
The funny thing is that actually I'm quite sympathetic to some tweak to the proposed Rattlesnake. My problem is that the arguments being used to argue for it are almost all invalid!

I'd give it a 300% bonus to drone damage and EHP, instead of 275%, to give it eight effective drones. I think that's a good compromise for the lack of a bonus to smaller drones, and further accentuates the differences between it and the Dominix - the Domi wins on range and application, the Rattler has the raw drone DPS. I don't think the extra DPS is overpowered - it's very difficult for an immobile BS to be overpowered, as it's so easily tackled and numbers beats tank 'n' gank every day.
Mike Voidstar
Voidstar Free Flight Foundation
#1215 - 2014-04-23 14:12:30 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
gascanu wrote:

This is a significant factor on the smaller hulls where that DPS is 60% higher than normal. On the Rattlesnake it isnt a significant factor because normal drones may pop faster but they only cost 20% damage each. This is why the Rattlesnake bonus is too weak if it only breaks even. There is little benefit from the superdrone, but the full drawback still applies. The lighter Gurista hulls compensate for this with the improved DPS.

On the Rattlesnake all you gain is a slight resistance to bomb runs and smartbombs. While that may be important to nullblob fleets and some smaller gang applications, it does not make up for the drawback in most other uses of the ship. God forbid someone mentions PvE, but rats that use ECM will be nearly as bad on a Snake as they are on everyone else not a maurader.
gascanu
Bearing Srl.
#1216 - 2014-04-23 14:18:18 UTC
Gypsio III wrote:
gascanu wrote:

But this is no different to today! The EHP of five current drones is the same as the EHP of two future ones, while the current Rattler and hold three sets of heavies/sentries, the same as the proposed one! Any ship that could kill the proposed heavies is also capable of killing the current ones, at pretty much the same rate, with only minor changes from the easier targeting.

but it is different: a dominx will have 2 flights of sentry/heavy and the rest will be a combo of bonused small/medium and ecm;
while you can use mediums on a rattle, but there will be little point to that since they will lose the bonus . having a single web aplyed to one drone and moving around will keep that drone out of targeting range most of the fight and that is half your drone dps gone; how about having a scrambler on one?(not sure if that work atm).
also having only 2 drones will make it much easy for focus fire>faster dead drones;
Higgs Maken
The Metal Box Company
#1217 - 2014-04-23 14:24:30 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Almost every other ship deals with frigs with 5 unbonused small drones. The rattler is now on par in that respect. where is the disadvantage?

You're trolling right?

My golem would continue to do 90 over percent of it's DPS when I'm using 5 unbonused small drone, but can the same be said about rattler? From worm to Gila to rattler they are all collecting dust in my hangar and they will continue to do so after the patch. Requirement to swap drone for frigate force me into using missile as main weapon, and sentry drone means my boat will be stationary.

Piloting new rattler will be like a new flavor of Golem, you will be a sitting duck but without the benefit of bastion, and maybe EFT warrior would rejoice with the theoretic maximum DPS they can get on EFT but without mids to support it and tank your ship, it will always be a theoretic maximum and not real would damage. Of course there will be other winners are drone assist user, new rattler sounds like a great way of bypassing drone assist nerf.
Angeleh
Silverflames
#1218 - 2014-04-23 14:30:41 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:

The disadvantage is that the Rattlesnake was a drone boat, now it is a missile boat. And drone pilots have lost their only shield tanked option.
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#1219 - 2014-04-23 14:36:35 UTC
Mike Voidstar wrote:
God forbid someone mentions PvE, but rats that use ECM will be nearly as bad on a Snake as they are on everyone else not a maurader.

I have PvE'd extensively in guristas space. Can you please explain, as my 750 sentry DPS will remain 750 DPS now and in Summer.

Unless you're worried about a drone being jammed and I can say I've seen that precisely once in countless, untold hours of mission work.
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#1220 - 2014-04-23 14:38:12 UTC
Higgs Maken wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:

You're trolling right?

My golem would continue to do 90 over percent of it's DPS when I'm using 5 unbonused small drone, but can the same be said about rattler?

Let me know when you have a 1600+ DPS golem, then we can talk.

Oh, and barring a handful of missions, you dont even NEED lights in a drone boat because they just blap frigs with sentries at range.