These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Will Valkyrie kill EVE?

Author
Talon SilverHawk
Patria o Muerte
#81 - 2014-04-19 23:43:57 UTC
Na, they will probably cancel development before release anyway...

Tal

Zarcan
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#82 - 2014-04-20 01:15:56 UTC
If anything it seems like another side project that leads in as another way to get new demographics of people to check out Eve.
Markku Laaksonen
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#83 - 2014-04-20 02:05:23 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Why would it?
And how could it? The two aren't even the same genre of game.

I commonly play different genres of games simultaneously. Or so it would seem to the untrained observer. I actually move through the space-time continuum to play all my games within a neat two hour window that ensures my marriage remains in tact and that I have a meaningful role in my children's life. Inventing time travel was a small task for being able to play all my precious games.

Everyone knows that different genres of games don't compete with each other. You know. For your time. Roll

DUST 514 Recruit Code - https://dust514.com/recruit/zluCyb/

EVE Buddy Invite - https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=047203f1-4124-42a1-b36f-39ca8ae5d6e2&action=buddy

Butzewutze
Doomheim
#84 - 2014-04-20 02:12:52 UTC
I am sure it will be a blast and a really big change in the history of gaming exactly like dust 514 is... erm wait...
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#85 - 2014-04-21 21:49:57 UTC
Kuronaga wrote:
Valkyrie will be available to a very select crowd of people who actually have an interest in the hardware and the money to justify spending it on what is basically a one-launch-game platform.

I think you're all going to be surprised at how small that crowd actually is.

Let me put it to you this way... Dust will be several times more popular. DUST.

You do realize how many games have already incorporated Rift support right? Hell, even just getting a percentage of War Thunder pilots (many of whom are making due with less advanced yet expensive gear) that want a change of pace will bring a very large player base.

And before you make some remark about the WW2 simulator crowd not being interested in SciFi, you might ask around to see how many EVE players also play World of Tanks or War Thunder.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Solecist Project
#86 - 2014-04-21 21:55:22 UTC
With this post I have five in a row.

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#87 - 2014-04-21 22:27:32 UTC
If I recall correctly, Valkyrie will not *require* rift, rather people that do have a rift will simply have an amazingly immersive gaming experience. Cool
Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#88 - 2014-04-21 23:30:58 UTC
Star conflict has already tooled up for occulus rift, running on rift is not exactly an exclusive bragging right. It's a bandwagon and probably won't catch on.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#89 - 2014-04-21 23:51:15 UTC
Doireen Kaundur wrote:
If Valkyie is a big hit (which i suspect it will be), will it kill EVE?

Or is the longterm plan to make Valkyrie, EVE 2.0?

If all the sandbox elements of EVE are transferred to Valk, it may.

Your thoughts?

I hope it kills EVE, put the game out of its misery before it goes the same wretched, ill-begotten path of Star Wars Galaxies
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#90 - 2014-04-22 00:16:52 UTC
"...not with 10,000 men could you do this."

Shocked

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Felicity Love
Doomheim
#91 - 2014-04-22 00:18:56 UTC
Doireen Kaundur wrote:
If Valkyie is a big hit (which i suspect it will be), will it kill EVE?

Or is the longterm plan to make Valkyrie, EVE 2.0?

If all the sandbox elements of EVE are transferred to Valk, it may.

Your thoughts?

It's hard enough getting people to undock and show up for fights as it is... very much doubt that a FPS "dogfighter" game is going to improve that situation whatsoever beyond the initial novelty wearing off.

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Winchester Steele
#92 - 2014-04-22 01:46:35 UTC
Being half-blind I won't be able to use Oculus :(. So it looks like it will just be us cripples, the Mittani, Chribba and James 315 left. And of course, the tinfoil brigade tells me that those are all just alts of the same person,so I guess it will just be me. Forever alone.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#93 - 2014-04-22 03:40:32 UTC
Dorian Tormak wrote:
Gogela wrote:
Doireen Kaundur wrote:
Will Valkyrie kill EVE?

No.

/thread

This, and also when I search for Valkyrie nothing really comes up and when I search "Valkyrie space game" still nothing really comes up so this game is **** and not even comparable to Eve.

The game isn't even out yet, holy **** people.
No it's not going to kill EVE, that's ********. It's not a competitor to EVE (it would be stupid if it were since CCP is making it).
Star Citizen is not going to kill EVE either.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Arancar Australis
Dead Sun Rising Enterprises
#94 - 2014-04-22 04:05:57 UTC
Of course it won't kill Eve, as it will be used to expand the Eve experience by opening...

The Door!! Shocked

Yes with it, you will finally be able to see what is on the other side of The Door. You will be able walk through the station, interact with the denizens that dwell within, while all those who have refused to buy it, will be forever doomed to stare at The Door and ponder what wonders lie behind it.

This will be annouced at the upcoming Fanfest...you read it here first!! Big smile

Cheers,

AA