These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Will Valkyrie kill EVE?

Author
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#21 - 2014-04-18 14:21:58 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Valkyrie is just a gimmick to sell Oculus... and Facebook...

Close.

Valkyrie is a gimmick to sell Oculus. Facebook bought Oculus as a gimmick to sell 3D cameras so that people can share 3D images and video of their kids as a gimmick for giving people a reason to continue using Facebook. Also, an Oculus user can see more adverts than a flatscreen or cell phone user. Also, who here doesn't want to upload a facebook picture of Grandma wearing an Oculus while using facebook?

Big smile
Humor aside, just in case people take your post too seriously, no Valkyrie was not developed to sell Oculus. Valkyrie was developed because a few CCP developers though the Oculus was cool.

I'll also remind people that no matter how much you hate Facebook, the same people are still developing Oculus... the same guy is running the company. Facebook is simply funding development, and is likely looking to diversify as the popularity of Facebook wanes with some age groups.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#22 - 2014-04-18 15:31:45 UTC
No

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Gabriel Z
Krabulous
#23 - 2014-04-18 15:52:11 UTC
I can tell that most of you have not been keeping up with Valkyrie news. One of the devs/producers, in an interview, explicitly stated that Valkyrie would have grinding (he didn't put it like that of course) elements. There will be PvE for income.

There's no way to prove it, except waiting, but I think they are planning ahead for EVE's eventual demise. They want something with broader appeal and participation.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#24 - 2014-04-18 15:54:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Ramona McCandless
Gabriel Z wrote:
explicitly stated that Valkyrie would have grinding

Im not sure what you are saying

EDIT: See below; Tippia once again took my thoughts and spun them into legible english

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#25 - 2014-04-18 15:58:33 UTC
Gabriel Z wrote:
One of the devs/producers, in an interview, explicitly stated that Valkyrie would have grinding (he didn't put it like that of course) elements. There will be PvE for income.
So what did he say, if not exactly that?
And what does it have to do with anything?
Erufen Rito
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#26 - 2014-04-18 15:59:00 UTC
****, I left my tinfoil hat on that other thread about eve's death.

This is as nice as I get. Best quote ever https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4137165#post4137165

Dominic karin
Versatility Production Corporation' LLC
#27 - 2014-04-18 16:05:36 UTC
No. Valkrye is nothing like Eve and Eve's gameplay can't be applied to a first person combat game, it just doesn't work.
Cassandra Aurilien
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#28 - 2014-04-18 16:15:02 UTC
No. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a grand plan in the back of CCP's mind about merging Valkyrie, EVE & Dust (or their successors) at some distant point in the future, though. I don't think current tech would support it. Who knows what 10 years could bring?

At some point, they'll almost certainly have to look at rewriting the legacy code of EVE. When they do that, I wouldn't be surprised if they put some new options on the table. When will that happen? I certainly don't know.
Tarpedo
Incursionista
#29 - 2014-04-18 16:40:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Tarpedo
No, simulators are the least interesting genre for MMO and most of them are struggling to survive - they require too much energy to play and at the same time gameplay is tedious and repetitive + becomes boring soon, most players abandon them quickly.

No wonder 70% of player in the *other spaceship* game voted for exploration as their activity of choice - which was surprise to the devs who expected "PvE" to be the most popular. It turns out nobody give a damn about space simulation - people want exploration, beautiful vistas, occasional quick PvE and very rare PvP encounters from spaceship games.
stoicfaux
#30 - 2014-04-18 16:44:09 UTC
Dominic karin wrote:
No. Valkrye is nothing like Eve and Eve's gameplay can't be applied to a first person combat game, it just doesn't work.

Bullshit. Are you really trying to tell us that it's impossible to render an F1 key in 3D in Oculus?

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#31 - 2014-04-18 16:48:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Dominic karin wrote:

Wooo! Compelling first-person-putting-15-million-units-of-trit-in-the-build-queue action gameplay!
MMFPPFMUoTitBQO — it's a whole new genre!
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#32 - 2014-04-18 16:48:31 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
Dominic karin wrote:

Bullshit. Are you really trying to tell us that it's impossible to render an F1 key in 3D in Oculus?

Id watch that.... if the in game controls were like Trespass....

stoicfaux
#33 - 2014-04-18 16:56:25 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Dominic karin wrote:

Wooo! Compelling first-person-putting-15-million-units-of-trit-in-the-build-queue action gameplay!
MMFPPFMUoTitBQO — it's a whole new genre!

Oculus meets Minecraft meets EVE mining & industry? I think CCP owes us a seventh Building Better Worlds blog.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Runini
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#34 - 2014-04-18 16:57:02 UTC
Coolcould care less about Oculus & Valkrye, If I wanted to play that would just install and play FreeLancer again without paying a monthly fee for it
Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#35 - 2014-04-18 17:38:46 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
Big smile
Humor aside, just in case people take your post too seriously, no Valkyrie was not developed to sell Oculus. Valkyrie was developed because a few CCP developers though the Oculus was cool.

I'll also remind people that no matter how much you hate Facebook, the same people are still developing Oculus... the same guy is running the company. Facebook is simply funding development, and is likely looking to diversify as the popularity of Facebook wanes with some age groups.

That's all fine, but...

I was thinking about dipping my toes in Valkyrie just for the fun of it. I would have bought the Oculus Rift just for this. I'm definitely not going to buy the Oculus now and since I certainly will not buy a PS/4, there will be no Valkyrie.

Remove standings and insurance.

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2014-04-18 17:52:31 UTC
I don't see why they have to be mutually exclusive. I would imagine CCP would only be too happy not to be a one trick pony.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

stoicfaux
#37 - 2014-04-18 17:58:11 UTC
Did someone say ponies?

Shocked

Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#38 - 2014-04-18 17:59:13 UTC
Star Citizen will kill EVE.

Not today spaghetti.

Garia666
CyberShield Inc
HYDRA RELOADED
#39 - 2014-04-18 18:02:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Garia666
Shederov Blood wrote:
Not if Star Citizen kills it first!

This,

EVE has been on the top of space MMO for the last 11 years.
Star Citizen will take allot of members out of EVE
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#40 - 2014-04-18 18:03:53 UTC
Garia666 wrote:
Shederov Blood wrote:
Not if Star Citizen kills it first!

This,

EVE has been on the top of space MMO for the last 11 years.
…and not being an MMO, SC is not very likely to change that.