These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Forum trolling is still out of hand; hurting player-to-dev interaction

First post
Author
Brandy Orion
Doomheim
#1 - 2014-04-18 01:34:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Brandy Orion
This thread was created some time ago and received and pretty hefty amount of responses and likes from the community
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4198527#post4198527

Since this post, it is unfortunate to see that the trolling on the EVE-O forums has only gotten worse and more unchecked. I don't want to make this long so I'll get right to the points:

- The trolling on EVE-O forums is getting worse and has been for some time.
- Most players who attempt to discuss an idea or thought on the forums are berated, trolled and insulted for their efforts.
- Most of these players then leave the forums after a few posts due to the trolling, insults and/or lack of help they recieved.
- The majority of the playerbase is not represented on the forums as a result of this.
- The majority of the regulars on the forums are trolls as a result of this.
- Responses to new ideas and features posted by players is therefore mostly done by trolls.
- The "community discussion" that is reviewed by the devs is therefore in fact incomplete and rather one-sided.

Until the ISDs start outright muting/banning people from the forums this pattern will continue and proper, reasonable discussion involving the majority of the community will never happen. The TOS/EULA allows for these bans/mutes. Take a look at the posts for user "PotatoOverdose". There are 20+ EULA/TOS infractions there. Take a look at the posts for user "Unsuccessful at Everything". Look, I think he's funny too. It doesn't mean there aren't 100+ EULA/TOS infraction there.

The trolls work as a community and tend to +1 eachothers posts as often as they can. The result is that many posts - such as this one - which the majority of the community may agree with will in fact receive substantially less likes than the posts made by the trolls which the majority of the community may disagree with. You can go ahead and apply this to most posts in most threads made by such players; and that's where it really matters. There are many great ideas and suggestions that are turned aside and lost forever because a group of trolls attack a thread, receive 12 likes from their troll friends, and it becomes assumed that the "community" disagrees with the idea. Even the OP might assume this and never consider his otherwise good idea ever again.

There's a reason why most of the changes that have occurred over the past few years have not been well received by the community; it's because the devs are increasingly unaware of what the community wants. Awareness comes through communication, which cannot happen until your consumers are motivated to communicate. In it's current state, only trolls or incredibly thick-skinned debaters are willing to have discussions in this - as was put best - cesspool of EVE Online.

Thanks for reading. Now let's set back and watch as the replies to my thread only prove my point further.

-
La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2014-04-18 01:35:47 UTC
Restricting NPC corps to New Citizens and character trading forums would be a great start.

Also nerfing highsec would help this as well.

This post was loving crafted by a member of the Official GoonWaffe recruitment team. Improve the forums, support this idea: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=345133

Pix Severus
Empty You
#3 - 2014-04-18 01:37:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Pix Severus
http://i.imgur.com/1MPxY.gif

Getting in early on this one.

MTU Hunter: Latest Entry - June 12 2017 - Vocal Local 5

MTU Hunting 101: Comprehensive Guide

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#4 - 2014-04-18 01:38:26 UTC
I feel left out at not having been mentioned.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#5 - 2014-04-18 01:40:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Doc Fury
something.. something.., and I'm all out of popcorn.

Isn't the CSM representing player interests/concerns?

Don't the Devs work/look in very specific forum areas and threads (not GD) for feedback?

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#6 - 2014-04-18 01:41:07 UTC  |  Edited by: PotatoOverdose
Brandy Orion wrote:
Proper, reasonable discussion.

Please define "Proper, reasonable discussion." Does it include any of the following: (1) discussion of moderation, (2) discussion of afk cloaking, or (3) removing sandbox elements from hisec?

(1) is outright banned on the forums.
(2) is heavily frowned upon due to the repetitive nature of the topic, I believe there is a post somewhere which attempted to aggregate all of the hundreds (if not thousands) of afk cloaking threads. Repetitive threads are bad, and against the rules.
(3) is in much the same category as (2) with several threads on the frontpage ongoing, and (probably) thousands of repetitive threads on the topic have been made in the last year alone.
Nyreanya
Serenity Labs
#7 - 2014-04-18 01:41:23 UTC
I find it amusing OP's point is proven right out of the gate.

How about "dislike" votes? Would social stigma be enough to curtail trolling?

[/sarcasm]

Muestereate
Minions LLC
#8 - 2014-04-18 01:41:25 UTC
Making General Discussion Faction standings related would go a long way
Falin Whalen
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2014-04-18 01:41:43 UTC
We should have a Councle to talk to CCP about their plans for new and revamped content. It should be elected from members of the player base, and from every part of the game, and gameplay style. I wonder what we should call such a councle?

"it's only because of their stupidity that they're able to be so sure of themselves." The Trial - Franz Kafka 

Solecist Project
#10 - 2014-04-18 01:44:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Solecist Project
Well... IZ is gone so that's an improvement.

If we managed to kick the other few haters, liars, hypocrites too
there would again be room for better threads without senseless
idiots crapping into it.

Trolling is much less of an issue than people like these,
because while trolling creates laughs for a few, (somtimes many)
haters ONLY create more hatred.

One down, a few more to go.

And the title of this thread here is completely wacko and meaningless.

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Brandy Orion
Doomheim
#11 - 2014-04-18 01:46:51 UTC
So: The first 4 players who replied to this thread have 15+ EULA/TOS infractions in their posts from the past few months alone.
In fact if you asked me before this thread to type out names of 12 trolls from the forums I could randomly think of, all 4 of these players would be on the list.

You will find this to be typical of these players; they will enter a thread and immediately respond as fast as they can independent of the content of the post (both theirs and the OP;;s). This is because they are trying to post their troll remark first, which gives them a better chance of being high-fived by the troll community in the form of a "like".

Keep proving my point gentlemen.
PotatoOverdose
Caldari State
#12 - 2014-04-18 01:48:58 UTC
Brandy Orion wrote:
"PotatoOverdose". There are 20+ EULA/TOS infractions there. Take a look at the posts for user "Unsuccessful at Everything". Look, I think he's funny too. It doesn't mean there aren't 100+ EULA/TOS infraction there.

Note to self: Always read the entire wall of text from now on. Shots fired, this warrants a thorough response.Big smile
Solecist Project
#13 - 2014-04-18 01:49:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Solecist Project
Actually, after reconsideration, the whole OP is promoting more hatred than anything
and is FULL of assumptions.

IZ alt detected.

Ban OP, gas thread.

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Solecist Project
#14 - 2014-04-18 01:50:33 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
Brandy Orion wrote:
"PotatoOverdose". There are 20+ EULA/TOS infractions there. Take a look at the posts for user "Unsuccessful at Everything". Look, I think he's funny too. It doesn't mean there aren't 100+ EULA/TOS infraction there.

Note to self: Always read the entire wall of text from now on. Shots fired, this warrants a thorough response.Big smile

The one thing that helps me most...

Speedreading.

8)

Pix Severus
Empty You
#15 - 2014-04-18 01:51:26 UTC
Brandy Orion wrote:
So: The first 4 players who replied to this thread have 15+ EULA/TOS infractions in their posts from the past few months alone.
In fact if you asked me before this thread to type out names of 12 trolls from the forums I could randomly think of, all 4 of these players would be on the list.

You will find this to be typical of these players; they will enter a thread and immediately respond as fast as they can independent of the content of the post (both theirs and the OP;;s). This is because they are trying to post their troll remark first, which gives them a better chance of being high-fived by the troll community in the form of a "like".

Keep proving my point gentlemen.

I'm one of the friendliest posters on this forum, I'm not your problem.

You're showing more hostility than most of the posters you've mentioned so far, just to let you know.

MTU Hunter: Latest Entry - June 12 2017 - Vocal Local 5

MTU Hunting 101: Comprehensive Guide

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#16 - 2014-04-18 01:57:54 UTC
Brandy Orion wrote:
Take a look at the posts for user "Unsuccessful at Everything". Look, I think he's funny too. It doesn't mean there aren't 100+ EULA/TOS infraction there.

Really? I had no clue. No clue at all. That just amazes me. I'm shocked.

You really find me funny?

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

PotatoOverdose
Caldari State
#17 - 2014-04-18 01:59:21 UTC
Part 1
Alright, let's go through your points, shall we?
Brandy Orion wrote:

Since this post, it is unfortunate to see that the trolling on the EVE-O forums has only gotten worse and more unchecked. I don't want to make this long so I'll get right to the points:

Subjective, please provide a source.
Brandy Orion wrote:

- The trolling on EVE-O forums is getting worse and has been for some time.
- Most players who attempt to discuss an idea or thought on the forums are berated, trolled and insulted for their efforts.
- Most of these players then leave the forums after a few posts due to the trolling, insults and/or lack of help they recieved.

You repeated yourself. You levied an accusation against so-called "trolls", again no sources or evidence provided.

Brandy Orion wrote:

- The majority of the playerbase is not represented on the forums as a result of this.

The bolded part is correct; however, the provided "cause" has absolutely no supporting evidence provided whatsoever. Like in every other videogame community out there, most players do not visit the forums. This is not something unique to Eve or caused by the forums as such.
Brandy Orion wrote:

- The "community discussion" that is reviewed by the devs is therefore in fact incomplete.

As it is in every game, but that's why we have the CSM which is advertised in your launcher.

Too many quotes, Part 2 Coming soon.
Solecist Project
#18 - 2014-04-18 02:03:51 UTC
This is an ad for part 2.

Drink Pepsi.

End of ad.

KnowUsByTheDead
Sunlight...Through The Blight.
#19 - 2014-04-18 02:04:48 UTC
Checking in.

Big smileBlinkPirate

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Brandy Orion
Doomheim
#20 - 2014-04-18 02:04:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Brandy Orion
30 likes spread through here; I wonder how many were alts of forum alts that posted in this thread. Big smile

FYI I'm not reading the responses to this thread for obvious reasons, however I do implore you folk to keep proving my point if you'd be so kind. How would I know you're proving my point, you might ask? You're that obvious.
123Next pageLast page