These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Just a quick question, how many of you use margin trading?

Author
Sigras
Conglomo
#1 - 2014-04-15 02:47:20 UTC
I just need some statistics to argue with a moron in the features and ideas forums because he's stating that the majority of the use of margin trading is scamming.

So how many of you use margin trading?
Syds Sinclair
StratsCo
Pretenders
#2 - 2014-04-15 03:06:11 UTC
..Every trader that is serious about making a lot of ISK.
Far Wanderer
The New Bank of Far
#3 - 2014-04-15 03:31:38 UTC
First of all, arguing with idiots is stupid. In cases like these, you have carte blanche to ignore them.

As to your question: yes, I use margin trading. Don't leave home without it.

I really am wasting my breath though, when you can avoid questions from Hexxx and RAW23 like that you must have some seriously devoted investors. --Elizabeth Norn

Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#4 - 2014-04-15 04:05:02 UTC
Current wallet balance (as at last logon): ~1.1 b. It actually does not often get this high.
Current total in buy orders: ~4.4 b (~1.3b in escrow, MT trained to 4). Usually this is higher (7b is common)

I have never margin scammed, although I have been known to dabble in other scams. A quick glance at my public contract history will demonstrate this is true.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Caerfinon
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#5 - 2014-04-15 10:15:14 UTC
Margin trading is like Force Projection for market PVP. Do more with less.

Cheers C.

@Caerfinon - Twitter

Silvetica Dian
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2014-04-15 10:50:07 UTC
It was incredibly useful when my alt started manufacturing.
Now i don't actually need it.
It allows new /poor players to jump start their trading/ manu career.
It allows rich traders to leverage their wallet.
The scams are a very minor use and easily spotted.

Money at its root is a form of rationing. When the richest 85 people have as much wealth as the poorest 3.5 billion (50% of humanity) it is clear where the source of poverty is. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/20/trickle-down-economics-broken-promise-richest-85

Riyal
invidious Squid
#7 - 2014-04-15 13:10:09 UTC
I use it all the time, sell slowly over the day, buy slowly with this isk. If all goes well they match up.

In hindsight my post should have had more psssshhhh

TheSmokingHertog
Julia's Interstellar Trade Emperium
#8 - 2014-04-15 13:45:15 UTC
When trading is becoming a job, its no longer a question; image

"Dogma is kind of like quantum physics, observing the dogma state will change it." ~ CCP Prism X

"Schrödinger's Missile. I dig it." ~ Makari Aeron

-= "Brain in a Box on Singularity" - April 2015 =-

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#9 - 2014-04-15 14:35:58 UTC
I do, when needing large amounts of minerals.

Haven't used it for scamming, yet.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Nate Guralman
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#10 - 2014-04-15 21:21:56 UTC
Maybe I'm missing something here, but buyers don't decide if they're involved in Margin Trading or not. If you put in a buy order, and you've trained the Margin Trading skill, you're engaging in Market Trading.

All those buy orders for all items in the EVE Regional Markets? Most of them are on margin.

Yes, you can scam with margin trades. But I'm willing to bet it's a very, very small percentage, given the volume of active buy orders.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#11 - 2014-04-16 02:42:06 UTC
Nate Guralman wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something here, but buyers don't decide if they're involved in Margin Trading or not. If you put in a buy order, and you've trained the Margin Trading skill, you're engaging in Market Trading.

All those buy orders for all items in the EVE Regional Markets? Most of them are on margin.

Yes, you can scam with margin trades. But I'm willing to bet it's a very, very small percentage, given the volume of active buy orders.

While this is true, let's rephrase the OP's question slightly.

"How many of you regularly intentionally post orders without sufficient funds available to entirely cover them, without the intention of doing so for a scam?"

The answer will still be the same.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Myriad Blaze
Common Sense Ltd
Nulli Secunda
#12 - 2014-04-16 08:40:54 UTC
When I started trading I stayed away from Margin Trading because I thought I didn't need it and that it would be better to "have the ISK" instead of dealing with "additional ISK to cover" ... how silly I was. Roll

Samillian
Angry Mustellid
#13 - 2014-04-16 10:31:07 UTC
I use Margin Trading, what serious trader does not?

NBSI shall be the whole of the Law

Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#14 - 2014-04-16 13:16:17 UTC
Of coure I use it. Having said that, I wish I could CHOOSE when to use it. Most of the time it would be default but occasionally I would like to put down the full cost at order placement.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#15 - 2014-04-16 13:51:13 UTC
margin trading is essential for my industry/trade operations. without it, i would not be able to produce at even half the scale i currently do.

I should buy an Ishtar.

joyous the
Slippery Penguin
#16 - 2014-04-16 14:02:27 UTC
I don't use it, and on the 1 account I did train it on back in 04, I wish I could turn it off. I trade in all 5 hubs, and my buy orders are my aggressive savings accounts. If they get filled, great, stuff for cheap, and I can cancel when I need to free up cash.
Ibrahim Tash-Murkon
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#17 - 2014-04-16 16:15:18 UTC
I can't really imagine a style of trading where not leveraging your capital makes sense.

"I give you the destiny of Faith, and you will bring its message to every planet of every star in the heavens: Go forth, conquer in my Name, and reclaim that which I have given." - Book of Reclaiming 22:13

Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#18 - 2014-04-16 17:03:18 UTC
Sigras wrote:
I just need some statistics to argue with a moron in the features and ideas forums because he's stating that the majority of the use of margin trading is scamming.

So how many of you use margin trading?

I used to use it but don't any more. It's a useful tool, but with too much math involved Smile
Julian Huxley
Solomon Bank and Trading Co.
#19 - 2014-04-17 07:14:19 UTC
Margin trading rules. It lets you do more buying low and selling high with less isk.

~7B in escrow, ~80B in buys.
Joshua Foiritain
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#20 - 2014-04-17 09:23:43 UTC
I use it for both scamming and trading Big smile

The Coreli Corporation is recruiting.

12Next page