These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Blocking in Chat should block Trade activity as well.

Author
Cyrano Pathfinder
Alpha Clone Salt Miners
#1 - 2014-04-14 10:22:51 UTC
My thought is this:

If I have found you despicable/annoying/repulsive enough to not wish any contact with you, via local chat, Evemail or private message, I don't want your money either, nor do i want to give you mine.

Have the contracts and trading functions check all incoming and outgoing trades vs the characters block list. If either party of the contract or trade is on either block list, the trade fails with a message indicating why.

Please note: I do not suggest comparing buy/sell orders or public contracts against the block list. This would be stupidly resource intensive. Only a check at the time of the transaction.

I believe that this puts a new kind of economic pressure on those that behave poorly. I also believe that, from an immersion point of view, it makes perfect sense. You cannot anger a merchant to the point that you are thrown out of their shop and still expect to trade with them right afterward.
Grarr Dexx
Blue Canary
Watch This
#2 - 2014-04-14 10:34:12 UTC
No.
Melana Emmagan
Holloway Heavy Industries
#3 - 2014-04-14 10:34:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Melana Emmagan
I love this. Currently there aren't many tools at your disposal as a merchant to possibly put pressure on people you don't like. I like your analogy to throwing someone out of your shop and/or giving him a house ban.

At the moment it's more the other way, people **** you off and if you don't want them to buy your stuff on the market, YOU have to move, which doesn't make much sense.

It would also be in the spirit of Eve. PvP is everywhere and every action has repercussions.
Yim Sei
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2014-04-14 10:39:09 UTC
Got to admit, this is a pretty good idea.

Post with my main? This is my main - I just overtrain and overplay my alts.

Pruflas Watts
Watts Brothers
#5 - 2014-04-14 11:13:49 UTC
I'm not sure I support this implementation, but I also feel like the game should have an outlet for more forms of diplomacy including economic "sanctions".
Rainbow Dash
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2014-04-14 11:23:57 UTC
That just means everyone will roll a trade alt which is on nobody's block list and use that to buy stuff.
Silvetica Dian
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2014-04-14 11:28:42 UTC
Rainbow Dash wrote:
That just means everyone will roll a trade alt which is on nobody's block list and use that to buy stuff.

Didn't we already do that?

Money at its root is a form of rationing. When the richest 85 people have as much wealth as the poorest 3.5 billion (50% of humanity) it is clear where the source of poverty is. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/20/trickle-down-economics-broken-promise-richest-85

Pruflas Watts
Watts Brothers
#8 - 2014-04-14 11:45:46 UTC
Rainbow Dash wrote:

Psychological warfare is a big part of Eve.
Burneddi
Avanto
Hole Control
#9 - 2014-04-14 11:52:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Burneddi
If you're saying that blocklist should prevent people from using the direct trade function on you or assigning contracts to you, I'm all for it.

If you're suggesting that blocklist should also prevent people from buying from or selling to your market orders, or accessing your public contracts, no. Just no. The public market is supposed to be just that, a public market. In fact, I think it should be even more anonymous, you shouldn't be able to see who's buying or selling stuff on there by looking at your transactions log.
Sara Navorski
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2014-04-14 14:53:13 UTC
If I don't like somebody, you can bet I want their money even more. I also want to be able to exploit any of their sales to my benefit and their bereavement.

Your idea is bad and only serves in a way to counter the kind of market pressure you think you would enable.

It would also be subject to potential abuse by very large groups, and give no leverage what so ever to smaller groups; which isn't in the best interest of the market, and the game in general.
Xe'Cara'eos
A Big Enough Lever
#11 - 2014-04-14 16:16:53 UTC
Sara Navorski wrote:
If I don't like somebody, you can bet I want their money even more. I also want to be able to exploit any of their sales to my benefit and their bereavement.

Your idea is bad and only serves in a way to counter the kind of market pressure you think you would enable.

It would also be subject to potential abuse by very large groups, and give no leverage what so ever to smaller groups; which isn't in the best interest of the market, and the game in general.

call me stupid - but can you detail the kind of abuse it would be subject to?

I kinda like the idea, I have to admit, maybe make it a part of block:
right click >
block character >
- block chat function only
- block chat and trade fucntions

For posting an idea into F&I: come up with idea, try and think how people could abuse this, try to fix your idea - loop the process until you can't see how it could be abused, then post to the forums to let us figure out how to abuse it..... If your idea can be abused, it [u]WILL[/u] be.

Last Wolf
Umbra Wing
#12 - 2014-04-14 16:21:13 UTC
Xe'Cara'eos wrote:
Sara Navorski wrote:

call me stupid - but can you detail the kind of abuse it would be subject to?

I kinda like the idea, I have to admit, maybe make it a part of block:
right click >
block character >
- block chat function only
- block chat and trade fucntions

What about block trade only. So that I can read their whines when they can't buy my 200m plex....

That awkward moment at the Gentlemen's Club when you see your sister on the stage....and you're not sure where to put the money....

Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#13 - 2014-04-14 17:51:06 UTC
Melana Emmagan wrote:
I love this. Currently there aren't many tools at your disposal as a merchant to possibly put pressure on people you don't like. I like your analogy to throwing someone out of your shop and/or giving him a house ban.

At the moment it's more the other way, people **** you off and if you don't want them to buy your stuff on the market, YOU have to move, which doesn't make much sense.

It would also be in the spirit of Eve. PvP is everywhere and every action has repercussions.

It's an electronic market, much like a modern stock market, nobody really cares about who buys the shares or vice versa. Barring people from the market is an attractive idea though, but I can't support it because it wont be long before nobody is able to buy or sell anything.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Grarr Dexx
Blue Canary
Watch This
#14 - 2014-04-14 20:19:52 UTC
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:
Melana Emmagan wrote:

It's an electronic market, much like a modern stock market, nobody really cares about who buys the shares or vice versa. Barring people from the market is an attractive idea though, but I can't support it because it wont be long before nobody is able to buy or sell anything.

Market warfare in 0.0 becomes impossible. This is a horrendous idea.
Kali Aldard
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2014-04-14 21:07:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Kali Aldard
A feature like this will quickly be exploited to find the names of people selling items without having to buy that item first.

Because the name of the seller is not available until after the transaction has completed is one of the reasons why this won't happen.

Your personal opinion of someone should not affect anybody's availability of items on the market. The market system in eve is among the best market systems in any video game. Online, offline, you name it. Mucking around with its core features is not a great idea.

Quote:
I believe that this puts a new kind of economic pressure on those that behave poorly.

Not true. You think this character is my main? Nope. I'll act a fool all I want on one character, and then, mostly because I don't want to reveal who needs items on the market, I'll use my market alt to buy things (also saving me money). For certain, this change will not have any affect at all on "those who behave poorly".