These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Exploration after Rubicon

Author
Jeremiah Saken
The Fall of Leviathan
#1 - 2014-04-10 07:06:13 UTC
TL;DR some ideas regarding exploration.
I think most of changes to exploration in Odyssey expansion were good. Explorer become truly nomadic profession,
not bound to "base of operation".
There was a question in one of survey: "What would you change in EvE?" so
after reading old blog regarding nullsec:
Old Devs blog
i have some ideas for exploration.

Scanning

-signatures should be spread in system (not huging the sun, or other celestials),
-a bit harder probing (100% scan achieving). Odyssey change to deploy 8 probes at once, probing become easier and
not so skill dependent,
-scanner that remember every site i've scanned to 100% for some period of time (maybe like cans in space, 2 hours)
-there's a probes in space window on scanner tab, ability to swtich it off,
-remove sites names from scanner (non combat exploration). "Mystery factor", we won't know where we'll land.
Scanner should tell if this is data/relic site, but no names. "Well it was some kind of abbadon mine...blood raider marks
was everywhere" or "There's was Titan wreck, it was huge!",
-why every site should be tie to pirates? Why not some convoy derelict (civilian or militarty), or factional warfare
battlefield, raided colony? Lone colonization ship? Roadhouse? etc. Universe is huge and all we can find are sites
with pirates names on it.

Hacking

-one hacking module. Hacking data/reclic can is basically the same. Scripts to boost virus strenght or coherence, or
scripts for hacking to data/relics sites (like software),
-remove cargo scanning oportunity, it's kinda anti-sandbox but... players won't cherrypick sites, sites will despawn
faster +"mystery factor" + pvp oportunity (explorer will be on site longer),
Merging analzyers and removing cargo scanning will grant 2 med slots. They can be spend on propulsion,
scanning or tanking modules.

Option: - emp bomb - some dmg to ship modules (data sites); bobby trap - dmg to shield/armor (relic sites).
Both not such severe as explosion in ghosts sites. New hacking node to hack and if not one of above traps will
trigger, nodes shouldn't be in all cans, lets say 1 per 5. Decisions, desicions should i hack fast or
find possible trap because i'm scanning fitted, have crap tank and last can damaged my shield/analyzer.

Option: explore the site to actually find cans. Debris, small rocks, huge ships wrecks. Data banks hidded inside
bigger asteroids, or among them. Searching for cans on grid, not just click approach and pop prop mod.

New types of sites and explo missions

-New type combat site for pirates. Small NPC corporation stations/factory/depot/ with hackable antenna. If
hacked there will be no distress call for reinforcement ( if not first wave corp grunts, second concord, timers for
waves). Standing with faction/corporation will be lowered if antenna is not hacked. Hacking must be done with cloack on,
if fail, decloking and standing loss. Fight with defenders and claim your prize of LP store goods. Solo or group.

Example of exploration missions:
-corporation lost tracking of one of its ship in x system (far away, hisec-nullsec travel,depends of difficulty level)
find what happened. Bring the cargo from hackable bay". Scanning signature visible only to player on mission.
-Corporation stealing - "find and hack to databanks of hostile corporation. Bring data, what you find is yours". Signature
visibility as above. It could lead to whole different, tied to hacking profession - spy.
Rewards: LP and ISK.

Uff what you think?

"I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas..." - Herman Melville

Jeremiah Saken
The Fall of Leviathan
#2 - 2014-04-25 07:22:35 UTC
I read Dinsdale topic about"
Non-scannable locations in space recently and new ideas emerged.

What if "sites" grow to 200km grid diameter full of stuff (derbis, wrecks, rocks, etc.). Cans are not displayed on
our overview. Instead we must find it with new type of scanner . Scanner will have small range, like 10km, and will
work like radar. We will have to explore site to find them.

Exploring steps:
I - explore with probes
II - explore site to find hide goods.

"I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas..." - Herman Melville