These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Line of site...

Author
Cardano Firesnake
Fire Bullet Inc
#1 - 2014-04-10 04:01:45 UTC
Weapons should stop shooting when the target is out line of site (Behind collidable objets)
That would give new gameplays.

Of course that would give again more options to mobile ships over slow ones... But slow ships should already have more options to catch fast ones because it is pure logic...

Posted - 2010.07.01 11:24:00 - [4] Erase learning skills, remap all SP. That's all.

masternerdguy
Doomheim
#2 - 2014-04-10 04:09:45 UTC
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=326825

I've already explained in this thread why it's too computationally expensive for EVE at this time and for the foreseeable future.

Things are only impossible until they are not.

Cardano Firesnake
Fire Bullet Inc
#3 - 2014-04-11 04:31:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Cardano Firesnake
It is not because it is impossible that it must not be done....

All these guns games are able to claculate trajectory for all these bullets but Eve cannot? Ok Perharps I am wrong...

Posted - 2010.07.01 11:24:00 - [4] Erase learning skills, remap all SP. That's all.

nerdman234
Revenent Defence Corperation
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#4 - 2014-04-11 04:46:44 UTC
Cardano Firesnake wrote:
It is not because it is impossible that it must not be done....

All these guns games are able to claculate trajectory for all these bullets but Eve cannot? Ok Perharps I am wrong...

It's not impossible. In fact, the formulas are very straightforward. But unlike battlefields or other games that run bullet trajectory formulas, they run the calculations on 64 or less players, not hundreds or thousands at a time. Adding an obscene amount server load for a very minor mechanic is just not feasable at this point in time. Perhaps when the code allows for multiple processors to run a single node (see the tech forums as I am only vaguely knowledgeable on this) then more interesting (and processor heavy) mechanics can be added to stir up the current strategy. I love the concept of dodging missiles in a belt. -Nerdman