These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

For all the old timers, ever think of starting over?

First post
Author
Atavuli Ornulf
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2014-04-05 20:24:00 UTC
o/

I been playing eve for 10 years, i quit (well was still subbed but really haven't played) for the past 2 years and let my subs completely run out a few months ago. I have a char at 140MSP and a 110 MSP alt. (took random breaks)

I know this might sound odd, but anyone with high amount of SP ever think of starting over? Half the fun for me was planning my characters, specializing them and making them into very nice characters. But ever since i been able to do anything in eve (And have short of flying a titan.. at one point even BOTH my chars were in Supers Ugh) just got rather bored.

Ive wondered about selling both my chars, should get about 80-90 bil for them (they are NICE chars, very specilized the 140MSP char does not have ONE industry/trading/mining skill) and just starting a new char and not really worry about ISK or anything again.

Thoughts? Does this sound crazy or has anyone ever done this before?
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#2 - 2014-04-05 20:59:02 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
I've done it once. It was thrilling! All the knowledge of an "old timer" with the "worthlessness" of a newbie. I literally threw myself into the most dangerous activities possible despite lacking skills just to see if I could do it.

Plus it's nice not having the baggage of a veteran character with history and hilarious to listen to newbies chatter away over stuff they don't understand (especially when they are facing down your main character).
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#3 - 2014-04-05 21:43:18 UTC
I still do that.

Actually, I have a special account (atm inactive) that has 2 pre-trained character on it and the last character slot is for disposable characters aka, train them up a bit and have fun while they are "new" and after they start to become more and more trained, I either transfer them over to another account that has room for them or I just scrap them and reroll a new character for the funs.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2014-04-05 21:57:08 UTC
Sounds like something I wouldn't do. It's taking way too long to build up this character. The last thing I wanna think about is building up the other 2 character slots on this account.

However, I will probably use one of them to run the NPE - New Player Experience - to give CCP feedback about the starter missions. Other than that, those characters will remain inactive on this account.

Besides that, one of my other characters on this account has already committed Identity Theft on me. Somehow DeMont Cruiser was able to gain credit as a contributor for most of my work history done in Evelopedia.

Ugh

Bug Report filed, Support Tickets submitted. Almost a year has passed and this issue is still under investigation.

DMC
Forest Archer
State War Academy
Caldari State
#5 - 2014-04-05 23:32:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Forest Archer
ShahFluffers wrote:
I've done it once. It was thrilling! All the knowledge of an "old timer" with the "worthlessness" of a newbie. I literally threw myself into the most dangerous activities possible despite lacking skills just to see if I could do it.

Did it twice once was,to make a different type of character the second was for the,challenge and relate to new players better. That was more of a challenge because I gave it no support from my main characters.

Always willing to help all you have to do is ask, though if you're in the other fleet I may not help the way you want. Just a heads up. Pub Channel: Lost Souls Trading Post

Lemon Nado
The Circus Corp
#6 - 2014-04-06 03:39:27 UTC
I think it would be cool to be able to "reset" a toon and then have the skill points un allocated. Like a once a year deal.
I am a new player and was lucky to end up on singularity pretty soon after joining. And there my skill points, all two million, were un allocated. I had a good time focussing my toon differently. Looking at a massive amount of SP that would be great to retool your toon. Super toon 8).
L
Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#7 - 2014-04-06 08:34:25 UTC
I've started over so many times in my 9-10 years of playing it's silly, it's also refreshing and enjoyable to use a different angle at stuff at times. Also, if you enjoy pvp, people tend to think that new characters are easy targets, quite handy :)
Obunagawe
#8 - 2014-04-06 13:57:30 UTC
Starting over is pointless - just start an alt. Mothball your main if you so choose.
Victoria Drex
Doomheim
#9 - 2014-04-06 14:04:04 UTC
I have been doing this since about 2006.... I have no high sp toons at all simply because I either find a group to play with and the just bail on the game. Then there were the times I got pissed because I was in a group full of wimps. I get bored due to no major goal to strive for. So much has gone wrong but I keep coming back. I am at this point a expert biomasser. Still having goal issues and no friend issues this time around too.
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#10 - 2014-04-06 14:52:36 UTC
Lemon Nado wrote:
I think it would be cool to be able to "reset" a toon and then have the skill points un allocated. Like a once a year deal.
I am a new player and was lucky to end up on singularity pretty soon after joining. And there my skill points, all two million, were un allocated. I had a good time focussing my toon differently. Looking at a massive amount of SP that would be great to retool your toon. Super toon 8).
L

Sorry, this would be a bad idea, as it would negate the entire idea of "actions have consequences".

People then no longer have to deal with the consequences of their actions (aka which skills they train), as they know that in 1 year they can just respec them again.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#11 - 2014-04-06 21:07:43 UTC
I have removed a rule breaking post .

Please refrain from (false) advertising in EVE New Citizens Q&A.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Erica Dusette
Division 13
#12 - 2014-04-06 21:22:11 UTC
I wouldn't call myself an old timer at only 4 years, but half the fun for me is creating new avatars and the character to go with each of them, followed by a skill training plan. So I regularly "start over" and I imagine many of the true "vets" would be the same - making new alts from time to time.

Problem I have is that with this many accounts, and very few free slots, I don't think I can afford to start over too much more Lol

Jack Miton > you be nice or you're sleeping on the couch again!

Part-Time Wormhole Pirate Full-Time Supermodel

worмнole dιary + cнaracтer вιoѕвσss

Jazminum Conehead
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2014-04-06 22:36:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Jazminum Conehead
I think I'm around 8 years oldish and have never used any other character. It makes me uncomfortable even looking at the 2 sub-1mill SP ones on my account. Sort of... naked.
I can appreciate that different people might like different aspects of Eve, like the superb character creation. Just not me though. Jaz is Jaz and always will be \o/

I wouldn't dream of starting over.
Lemon Nado
The Circus Corp
#14 - 2014-04-07 03:27:55 UTC
J'Poll wrote:

Sorry, this would be a bad idea, as it would negate the entire idea of "actions have consequences".

People then no longer have to deal with the consequences of their actions (aka which skills they train), as they know that in 1 year they can just respec them again.

Sry... Didn't think that through... You're right. It would corrupt the original idea of a "path". It would take the "character" out of the character....
L
Forumata Altaris
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2014-04-07 06:54:31 UTC
Lemon Nado wrote:
J'Poll wrote:

Sry... Didn't think that through... You're right. It would corrupt the original idea of a "path". It would take the "character" out of the character....
L

I agree to a certain extent.

I see nothing wrong in allowing a re-map of SP after the first 4-6 months of playing as a one-time thing.
The reasoning for it would be that as a new player you can read and ask as much as you want - you will take "useless" (read: going in too many paths instead of focusing) skills regardless as you have no idea what you are doing. Unfortunately the game doesn't really help you out by telling you what is useful for what role either.

If there was a short tutorial showing you perhaps the 5 most usual paths for a player (frigate PvP, Missioning, Mining, Exploration and Hauling f.ex), coupled with suggested example ships and example skills it would be different but I currently don't feel ISIS is good enough for a new player, even though it's a nice step int he right direction.
Yarda Black
The Black Redemption
#16 - 2014-04-07 09:47:06 UTC
I will give you this: Every two years or so, I "start over" by running the tutorials with a character. All of them. In all 4 empires. Then I do the SOE arc. Upgrading from rookieship to t1 frig to destroyer feels like an accomplishment. Makes no sense at all ofcourse. Sue me.

No way ill be starting over tho. I've just reached the point I no longer have to ask myself: "Can I fly that?" . With flying I mean more than just undocking and less than being dangerous in it (still working on that).

As a matter of fact, I became frustrated the other day because my cynoalts cant fly interceptors.

I also dont understand how I could start over in the first place. If I make a new character and join brave newbies for example. I will still have my current knowledge. You'd think someone would notice this new n00b (me) learning things really really fast. Too fast with too little questions actually.

Besides, I'm still learning now. Every day. At the moment my new learning requires characters with more than the basic skillpoints.

Al things being said and done: If you think you will enjoy completely starting over skillpointswise; go for it.
Forumata Altaris
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2014-04-07 11:03:59 UTC
Yarda Black wrote:
I also dont understand how I could start over in the first place. If I make a new character and join brave newbies for example. I will still have my current knowledge. You'd think someone would notice this new n00b (me) learning things really really fast. Too fast with too little questions actually.

This is the single most important thing when it comes to new players asking older ones what to do.
"Do whatever you want" doesn't work when you lack the knowledge of all the details in the background.
Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#18 - 2014-04-07 11:11:38 UTC
I have that thought now and again.

Then I remember skills like Heavy Combat Drones LVL 5 which instantly makes that thought go away.

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#19 - 2014-04-08 00:53:28 UTC
Cannibal Kane wrote:
I have that thought now and again.

Then I remember skills like Heavy Combat Drones LVL 5 which instantly makes that thought go away.

This, this, so many times this.

The ones I hate the most when training new alts are Weapons Upgrades 5 (the first level 2 skill you usually take to 5), and the core PG/CPU skills.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Lord Battlestar
CALIMA COLLABORATIVE
Atrox Urbanis Respublique Abundatia
#20 - 2014-04-08 05:14:34 UTC
I actually don't mind having all of the sp that my characters have, as I am still always planning and there is still things I want my characters to do. Take Lord here, I am training him into marauders, another character I have training into fleet command skills, and a third is training triage modules. I could start a new character if I wanted to easily, but I find it just as fun to keep working on my older characters too.

I once podded myself by blowing a huge fart.

12Next page