These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Skins : A One Trick Pony

Author
Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#21 - 2014-04-05 17:31:55 UTC
Budrick3 wrote:
I will preface the start of this by stating that companies should always look for additional revenue resources to further themselves. But in the next breath, I believe CCP is going about it all the wrong way.

There might be excitement currently for the new ship skins, but I believe it will be shortly lived. With plex prices already fairly high, the proposed aurum market looks less and less appealing for new and old players (never was terribly exciting to begin with).

Rather than charging players, I believe CCP should have added these skins via the LP store generating more interest to play the game and growing new comers. The argument for Eve is that it has a tendency to get stale after a while, and though these new features are awesome, they quickly lose momentum after learning there is a cost involved.

It will be interesting to see a comparison of income from the introduction of this new skin model and its future success one year from now. Similar to buying clothing for your character, it seems to be a one trick pony and a loss of resources, time, and revenue for the company as time progresses.

I have nothing against AUR as a sort of "premium currency"
I have nothing against ship skins or clothes that can be bough with AUR.

But I am against the link between PLEX and AUR as it is pointless at this moment since you can already buy AUR tokens directly. The link between PLEX and AUR belongs to an old and outdated business model whose inception was back in Incarna.

AUR should be disconnected from PLEX purely because the connection is damaging the PLEX market directly.
You can already buy AUR with cash.
You can already trade AUR tokens for ISK on the market.
Then why does the PLEX -> AUR link still exist?
JC Anderson
RED ROSE THORN
#22 - 2014-04-05 19:59:52 UTC
This has been a highly requested feature for quite some time now. So I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being received fairly well.
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#23 - 2014-04-05 20:35:16 UTC
WTB Megathron pony skin.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#24 - 2014-04-05 21:35:07 UTC
@OP

Your entire premise around your argument is that those things can only be bought with Real Money.

You can use your ISK you made ingame. Why spend Real Money when pretend money can buy you the same thing?

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

Goa Chai
Doomheim
#25 - 2014-04-05 21:47:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Goa Chai
Some of the skins look alright, the Aliastra skins are my current favorites (Kaalakiota skins for Gallente ships trlol) but I'll wait until something like this becomes possible.

A Megathron hull with a flame job would look pretty sweet too.
Black Canary Jnr
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#26 - 2014-04-05 21:55:12 UTC
I just want alliance logos on ships so we can look kick ass!
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#27 - 2014-04-05 21:55:29 UTC
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
WTB Megathron pony skin.

I would still love it.
Muestereate
Minions LLC
#28 - 2014-04-05 22:18:30 UTC
Comet skin only skin, has nothing to do with LP
KuroVolt
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2014-04-05 22:24:05 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
WTB Megathron pony skin.

I would still love it.

Baltecs love for Megas will overcome all obstacles.

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

Antisocial Malkavian
Antisocial Malkavians
#30 - 2014-04-06 00:43:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Antisocial Malkavian
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Terrible as it sounds, Im sure another single Monocle at insane real money price, would have earned them bucketloads more than the entire paintjob project.

People like to buy exclusive stuff, both for themselves as treats, and for their friends for birthdays etc.

And complaints would have been minimal. I mean its no skin off anyone elses nose if someguy has the money to sport a trendy monocle.

That worked so well last time that they had to fire 20% of the company

Black Canary Jnr wrote:
I just want alliance logos on ships so we can look kick ass!

Pemises. Penises everywhere.

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.

Inquisitor Kitchner
The Executives
#31 - 2014-04-06 01:12:38 UTC
No.

I think offering player the ability to buy ship skins for IRL cash is a great idea, I think the problem is people forget this is a pilot scheme.

At the moment it's all clunky, but if you compare it to other games with real life cash transactions, they make it all seamless.

I think the pricing is off at the moment too. $3 to make your PvE boat look good is one thing, but anyone who PvPs wont pay that.

I'd be more likely to spend $5 on 10 ship skins then for 1 for example, as I'd think to myself "I don't actually lose battleships that much". Even then though, the skin would have to be REALLY cool.

Plus how often do PvE players die anyway? The point of microtransactions was little and often, not $3 now and then nothing for 12 months until they go afk and get ganked.

I'm not really the target market though so maybe I'm different. In any case, the ship skins thing is a good thing and I think if it let's people have the OPTION of making stuff look pretty for a little extra cash then good for them.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#32 - 2014-04-06 01:44:46 UTC
Inquisitor Kitchner wrote:
Plus how often do PvE players die anyway?
Probably more often if they are sporting expensive AUR skins Pirate not to mention the miners..

Need solid black skins in the LP store btw, especially for all cov-ops ships Big smile Oh the pictures have all been washed in black tattooed everything.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Doireen Kaundur
Doomheim
#33 - 2014-04-06 01:48:18 UTC
Saw "skin," "trick," and "pony" in the title. Shocked

Came expecting something entirely different. Blink

Left disappointed. Cry

_[center]For your Freighter **sized shipping needs, contact _[u]Lord Chanlin[/u].** _ Fast, affordable, reliable service._

https://gate.eveonline.com/Profile/Lord%20Chanlin[/center]

Yosagi Yojimbo
Worthless Carebears
The Initiative.
#34 - 2014-04-06 02:17:28 UTC
Budrick3 wrote:
Rainbow Dash wrote:
I'm interested in how you think ship skins will convince new players to start playing eve.

I believe there is added excitment for the opportunity to customize your ship to your personal tastes. The game is starting to get a free to play characteristic with time passing and the kicker of a subscription.

My arguement is that it is a potential turn off to new and old players alike and could lose the demographic.

Excitement is lost when the new content has a price associated to it.

All the content in Eve has the price of time and money associated with it, wherever it is sourced from.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#35 - 2014-04-06 02:53:28 UTC
Doireen Kaundur wrote:
Saw "skin," "trick," and "pony" in the title. Shocked

Came expecting something entirely different. Blink

Left disappointed. Cry

somewhat relieved though
Previous page12