These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Factional Ship Differences?

Author
William Sines
Perkone
Caldari State
#1 - 2014-04-05 01:58:04 UTC
Back into the game after not playing for a very long time. I'm checking out what to do in general, as I remember almost nothing, but there's one thing I'm having trouble with.

Differences in ships between factions. While many other skills seem to be focused on specializing into a field, the faction of ships you specialize into seems to be a bit more of a 'dedication' (for want of a better word) than other options. I'm sure someone has written up a practical guide on the general differences between, say, Caldari and Minmitar ships. Something for new players to pick a direction to train in, starting out, but I can't find one.

If it helps, I think I'll be focusing in nulsec exploring, trying to avoid combat whenever possible. In addition, the old recovered account has a character specialized in Caldari ships (but not excessively so) with a bit of Gallente training. I have no problem re-routing what factions ship I specialize in, if I have a good reason to. But the sooner I find out, the sooner I can queue the necessary skills.
KnowUsByTheDead
Sunlight...Through The Blight.
#2 - 2014-04-05 02:18:23 UTC  |  Edited by: KnowUsByTheDead
Cal -> Missiles and Rails/ECM

Gal -> Drones and Blasters/DAMPS

Min -> Missiles and Autos and Arty/Painting and Long Webs

Amarr -> Lasers and Missiles and Drones/Capacitor Warfare and Tracking Disruption.

This help?

Alternatively, there is a wikipedia ran by multiple 3rd parties, as well as CCP's official.

Anything else, I would refer to your old friend Google.

Big smileBlink

*edit

Dammit, I forgot the drones on Amarr. Ugh.

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

KnowUsByTheDead
#3 - 2014-04-05 02:21:07 UTC
And, ofc, you are not limited to that.

For instance, I wouldn't hesitate putting something like 800mm Auto's on a Geddon or similarly bonused ship.

The fun is in what you can come up with.

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

William Sines
Perkone
Caldari State
#4 - 2014-04-05 02:44:36 UTC
That much I was able to understand, but the think I really wanted clarification on, is what are the practical differences between various weapons and defenses?

What are the meaningful differences between projectile and laser turrets? Shields and Armor?

And also Drones themselves. Are they combat drones only, or do they perform other non-combat functions. And if so, what are they, and how important are they? If they are important, should your non-combat ships usually be Galente or Amarr for better drones?

Electronic Warfare is understandable (ECM is much better on the defensive than Target Painting), but the other things I mentioned are a bit less obvious in how they differ, other than graphically.
KnowUsByTheDead
#5 - 2014-04-05 03:20:19 UTC
Guns/Missiles -

Missiles are pretty self explanatory. Rockets, Hams, Torps are your short range high dps options. LML, HML, and Cruises are long range lower DPS options. Multi-dmg types, ofc. Little cap usage.

Projectiles - Mainly exp/kin(but other dmg options available) Autos, decent tracking, excel in falloff at speed, primarily for kiting.
Arty's, poor tracking, high alpha.

Lasers - Mainly EM dmg, highly cap intensive. Pulses are your short range option. Beams long range. Secondary choice in drone boat, unless you are rocking a Pilgrim or Curse (or other similar ship.)

Hybrids - Mainly Therm/Kin dmg Less cap intensive than Amarr, but still cap intensive. Blasters, super short range, super high DPS, poor tracking. Rails, long range variant, lower DPS, ofc.

Drones -

Combat drones come in light, medium, and heavy variants. These are your mobile drone types. Sentries act as a non-mobile sniping drone. Racial types correlate to the damages outlined above in the weapons explanation.

There are also mining drones, E-War drones, salvage drones and logistics drones.

Gallente is the superior choice in PvE, but that comes down to preference.

And for your final question.......

Shield tank - Passive regen, reppers rep at the end of cycle, and it is your top line of defense.

Armor tank - No passive regen, reppers rep at the beginning of cycle, and it is the second line of defense, giving you a little buffer with your shield, provided you use a DC II.

Other than that....

Just read, read, read.

Side note: I might have how the reppers work backwards, at which point, I am sure someone can correct me. Sorry, it's evening on a Friday night and I have already began getting ****** up. vOv

Blink

William Sines
Perkone
Caldari State
#6 - 2014-04-05 03:53:21 UTC
So, the more capacitor intensive a weapon is, the less capacitors you have for other functionalities, such as Electronic Warfare and Shield/Armor regen? As such, it would seem that Missles + Projectiles leave the most amount of Capacitor free for other actions.

Do drones themselves run on your own capacitance, with capacitance usage similar to that of the used weapon? Or are they completely capacitance free, running on their own supply, and perhaps merely taking up lots of CPU usage on your ship? Likewise, since drones are not strictly combat (and even the combat ones have E-War functionality, which can be purely defensive), does that mean I'll want Gallente ships for their superior non-combat and defensive options (assuming I do indeed enjoy null-sec exploration)?

I will look into this further, but many of the sources I can check out provide the raw numbers, which are still tricky for me to process since I'm not too familiar with the game yet.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#7 - 2014-04-05 04:15:29 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
William Sines wrote:
What are the meaningful differences between projectile and laser turrets? Shields and Armor?

NOTE: These are all generalizations and exceptions DO apply.

Lasers - Pulse lasers are short range, Beam lasers are long. Both have medium tracking, deal medium damage (relative to its class) and consume a lot of capacitor power. The saving grace of these weapons is that they require little ammunition (Tech 1 crystals are infinite, Tech 2 and Faction Crystals break after a lot of use), can swap ammo almost instantly (allowing them to adjust range and damage quickly), and are are relatively long range for their respective classes.

Hybrids - Blasters and short range, Railguns are long. These are weapons of extremes. Blasters can deal massive amounts of damage (more than any other weapon system) and have very high tracking, but their range requires you to get into a target's face. Railguns can fire at extremely long ranges but their damage is not the best. Both use capacitor power but not as much as lasers.

Projectiles - Autocannons are short range, Artillery is long. Autos have high tracking (compared to Lasers) and decently long range (compared to Blasters) but win in neither category. Autocannons also operate primarily in "falloff range" so their "on-paper" damage is less than other weapon systems. They make up for this though by having a wider array of ammunition to punch through a target's weaknesses.
Artillery has one of the shortest ranges and worst tracking compared to other long range systems, but it makes up it by dealing HUGE amounts of damage in single volleys.
Projectiles do not use capacitor power.

Missiles - Rockets, Heavy Assault Missiles, and Torpedoes are short range... Light Missiles, Heavy Missiles, and Cruiser missiles are long range.
Missiles never miss any target so long as they are in range (unlike turrets)... however they are more "class specific" in terms of how they apply their damage (ex. Torpedoes will deal terrible damage against a Frigate). Some ships have specific bonuses towards certain missile damage while others do not. Missile damage is always "pure" and not mixed with anything else.
No launcher uses capacitor power.

Armor - can create some of the "beefiest" tanks in the game in terms of raw hp. Some racial ships have bonuses that can enhance "pure hp" setups while others can create some nifty "active tanks" (see: regeneration) that soak up damage.
Since armor takes up low-slots you often have to make compromises in order to fit speed and damage modules (because speed and weapon enhancement modules also use low-slots) on top of speed penalties you often suffer from fitting bulky plates and some armor rigs.
You make up for this though by being able to fully use your mid-slots for utility and electronic warfare.

Shields - can create some of the most absurd "active tanks" (see: regeneration) in the game. As with armor, some racial ships have bonuses that can enhance "pure hp" setups while others can create some nifty "active tanks" (see: regeneration) that soak up damage.
Since shields take up mid-slots you often have to make compromises in order to fit utility and E-war (because utility and E-war modules also use mid-slots)... which may or may not cut into your already lower shield hp.
You make up for this though by being able to fully use your low-slots for speed and weapon enhancement.

William Sines wrote:
And also Drones themselves. Are they combat drones only, or do they perform other non-combat functions. And if so, what are they, and how important are they? If they are important, should your non-combat ships usually be Galente or Amarr for better drones?

Drones - Light Scouts are good against Frigates, Medium Scouts are good against Destroyers and Cruisers, Heavy Drones are good against Battlecruisers and up.
Ships Cruiser and up require some use of drones as supplementary damage and point defense... however certain ships (mostly belonging to the Gallente and Amarr) have bonuses specifically geared towards drone use.

Drones are semi-autonomous and do not consume any ship resources outside of the drone bay and bandwidth (allowing a degree of flexibility in fitting your ship)... however as a penalty, they can be shot and destroyed by anyone and require a fair degree of micromanagement.
Sentry Drones are a class of their own and are basically stationary turrets... with all the benefits and pitfalls of them.

As far as racial ship choices go...

Amarr - ships tend to be tankier and slower than their class counterparts in addition to having having a larger than normal capacitor to draw power from.
Some Amarr ships tend to be someone inflexible in terms of what you can do with them (sometimes being better suited for gang/fleet support than running solo)... other Amarr ships are "jacks of all trades" with a plethora of options and a "trick" they can be fitted for (ex. a Prophecy can fit turrets, missiles, or support modules in addition to using drones... but regardless of its configuration it is usually a very tanky ship).

Gallente - not as tanky as Amarr ships, but not as bulky either. They can usually burn forward in a straight line very well but tend to lack the agility to turn quickly. Some ships excel in "brawler" type setups while others are a bit more flexible in terms of what they can do given their more "spread out" fitting slots. This race is defined mostly by its weapon systems of choice; hybrids and drones.

Minmatar - while possessing some of the least "beefy" of ships in terms of tank, Minmatar ships tend to be some of the most agile. Many of their ships put extra emphasis on fast, skirmish tactics while others are a fair bit more flexible in terms of fitting setups.

Caldari - Think "shield version" of the Amarr. Many Caldari ships can a bit slow and cumbersome while others are
one trick ponies" that do their trick very, very well.
William Sines
Perkone
Caldari State
#8 - 2014-04-05 05:27:21 UTC  |  Edited by: William Sines
Comparing the two Exploration oriented Covert Ops ships, I'm not seeing any huge differences, seems to be mostly a case of "Flavor" rather than efficacy at any given task, broadly speaking. Which means that until I have a better understanding of the game, I can't really make an informed decision.

As I see no problem with the Caldari ships, and since I'm already decently invested in them (Caldari Frigate Rank 5, in particular) I'll stick with that. Amarr look nice as well (Lasers and missles and dones, oh my!), but I don't have ANY ranks in them.

As such, I'll probably want to relocate to Caldari space, and what my personal assets tab shows me was probably my old home base. In order to get there from where I am now, I'd have to fly through space with security as low as 0.5. I'll want to repack the supplies I had out here and move it to there, but I'm not too sure on how safe 0.5 is. That level of security still counts as High-Sec, and so is safe to fly under auto-pilot unless pirates have reason to believe I'm hauling something very valuable, correct? I'm not going to be hauling anything super-valuable (A Blackbird with a full or nearly full cargo hold). Not really ready to deal with pirates just yet, and I don't need to move out of Gallente space that badly, so if there's a reasonable risk of my stuff, I can wait.

In the meantime, I'll finish up the Career missions here, to see what I like. I've got 3 in Gallente so, I'm able to fly the ships that the quests give me.
Miomeifeng Alduin
Lithonauts Inc.
#9 - 2014-04-05 06:00:02 UTC
William Sines wrote:
That much I was able to understand, but the think I really wanted clarification on, is what are the practical differences between various weapons and defenses?

Electronic Warfare is understandable (ECM is much better on the defensive than Target Painting), but the other things I mentioned are a bit less obvious in how they differ, other than graphically.

So you want others to do your research. have fun with that.
William Sines
Perkone
Caldari State
#10 - 2014-04-05 06:08:38 UTC
Miomeifeng Alduin wrote:
So you want others to do your research. have fun with that.

I love how you posted this well after someone very helpfully filled me in on the details I wished to know. Apparently, you weren't willing to research the very topic you were reading.
JC Anderson
RED ROSE THORN
#11 - 2014-04-05 06:15:38 UTC  |  Edited by: JC Anderson
From what you said you want to be doing, you could always look at the new SOE ships.

Or just go into the tech 3's and keep sub systems and fits ready to swap out for what you need at the time.

For the most part though I always tell people they should train into Recon ships. :P You have a lot of options available especially if you've already trained each races cruiser to 5 as well. Recon ships was the first tech 2 spaceship command skill I trained to 5 and its worth it.

You'll most likely train to 5 in all races frigates, cruisers, and perhaps bs as well anyhow eventually, so there is no harm in looking beyond the race you started with.

Its nice to have the option available to you. I went the cross training route for all ship classes of every race to 5. ( Frig, cruiser, bc, dest, bs, etc. ) It opens up a lot more options for you and you feel less constrained by your choices.

Though you of course need the supporting skills for each race as well to effectively cross train.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#12 - 2014-04-05 06:16:22 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
William Sines wrote:
Comparing the two Exploration oriented Covert Ops ships, I'm not seeing any huge differences, seems to be mostly a case of "Flavor" rather than efficacy at any given task, broadly speaking. Which means that until I have a better understanding of the game, I can't really make an informed decision.

Some ships like Covert-ops and Stealth Bombers are, as you have noticed, not much different from each other. Some do have certain "traits" though that make them able to do things that others can't.

For example...

- Caldari ships tend to have higher CPU compared to other ships. The Buzzard and Manticore (Covert-ops and Stealth Bomber respectively) are no exception to this and so they can fit more CPU hungry modules compared to their peers.
- Minmatar ships tend to be more agile. The Cheetah and Hound possess this trait and so they can align and warp faster compared to their peers.

William Sines wrote:
As I see no problem with the Caldari ships, and since I'm already decently invested in them (Caldari Frigate Rank 5, in particular) I'll stick with that. Amarr look nice as well (Lasers and missles and dones, oh my!), but I don't have ANY ranks in them.

Don't pay TOO much attention to the "ranks" you have for certain ships. They are more akin to "guidelines" than anything else. For example; I am personally rated as having only "Rank III" in all Caldari ships... however my combat skills with Caldari ships are near elite. The only reason I have such low rank is because I did not spend much time training up their preferred E-war and the shield compensation skills (which affect modules I generally don't use).

William Sines wrote:
I'd have to fly through space with security as low as 0.5. I'll want to repack the supplies I had out here and move it to there, but I'm not too sure on how safe 0.5 is. I believe there are turrets at the warp gates and starbases, and if I'm just moving through them, it's relatively safe? Safe enough for Autopilot? I'm not going to be hauling anything super-valuable (though I will be flying in a Blackbird, which is somewhat valuable).

0.5 space is still high-sec space so anyone who attacks you will incur the wrath of CONCORD. However... they will only arrive to kill the offenders after about 20 or so seconds (the response time goes up as system security status increases).

As far as the actual move...

- try to calculate the value of the assets you intend to move. It doesn't need to be exact, just ballpark.
- try to figure out how much damage would be needed to take to kill you in 20 seconds or less (ballpark).
- now try to figure out the value of ships necessary to deal that damage in 20 seconds or less (hint: a ganking Destroyer can dish around 400 damage per second by itself and costs about 5 to 10 million a pop).
- if the amount of valuables you are carrying EXCEEDS the cost necessary to gank you, you might want to tank your ship better and/or use a different ship and/or carry less stuff at one time.

As a general rule(s)...

- try not to autopilot if you are ferrying lots of stuff.
- fit for hp and resistances (armor plates, shield extenders, Adaptive Nano Membranes, Invulnerability Fields, etc).
- do not rely on gates or CONCORD to "protect" you. They are only there to ENFORCE. Nothing more.

edit: also... requesting this thread be moved to the New Player forum. It's obvious this guy is "green."
William Sines
Perkone
Caldari State
#13 - 2014-04-05 06:27:42 UTC  |  Edited by: William Sines
Heh, the only thing that is probably worth ganking is the ship itself, which won't be lootable :D. With your estimate of about 8000 damage to worry about, it's not there, being closer to 4000, so it would get destroyed, but it's probably a safe flight, I can't imagine anyone will look at a Blackbird and think it has cargo worth risking a ship over. If I find anything too valuable (or too big, the ships are probably going to be sold), I can always see about liquidating it where I am.

Also, apparently, the place I had found to be my 'home base' was Jita... which is the most populated space in the game, according to the wiki. I assume this makes it a perfectly fine place to hang around, what with all the business going there. Any reason that I might want to find a quieter place to act as my main stash whilst I go galavanting about the galaxy?
Unezka Turigahl
Det Som Engang Var
#14 - 2014-04-05 06:31:39 UTC
For exploring nullsec, race does not matter. Covops ships are all practically the same. You train covops cloak, probing skills, hacking and analyzing skills. Can fit warp core stabilizers in the low slots if you like.

ECM modules are generally not used on ships that are not specialized in ECM. And those few specialized ECM ships will be inefficient for exploration. ECM drones can be useful for just about any ship though, any ship with a drone bay can use them and no ship gets a bonus to them. So race doesn't matter there.

Caldari missile ships and Gallente drone boats are typically easier/more simple to use in PvE. After covops you can train for a Heavy Assault Cruiser or Strategic Cruiser to do combat exploration sites. Be aware that Strategic Cruisers are banned from entering the best sites in hisec.

In your situation I would train for the Heron and Buzzard for use in relic and data sites, and for general wandering around in nullsec or wormholes. Then train the Cerberus for combat sites. You can use a Caracal/Navy Caracal or Drake/Navy Drake in hisec combat sites while training for the Cerberus. Then you can train the Tengu for harder combat sites in low and null.

Even though you're a Caldari pilot you can also train sentry drones and get Gallente cruiser up a couple levels in order to use the Gila, which is a great ship for combat sites in hisec. It requires both Caldari and Gallente cruiser skills to fly. Continue getting Gallente cruiser to 5 and you have the option to use the Gallente Ishtar in place of the Cerberus or Tengu. Pretty much everyone ends up cross-training different races.
Unezka Turigahl
Det Som Engang Var
#15 - 2014-04-05 06:33:31 UTC
RE: Jita....

Sometimes you will be locked out of the system at peak hours because it is full. You'll end up waiting around at the gate for your turn to enter. Move your home base 1 jump away if you want to stay around there.

Also, generally in EVE more people in system = less safe. Not more safe.
JC Anderson
RED ROSE THORN
#16 - 2014-04-05 06:35:45 UTC  |  Edited by: JC Anderson
Unezka Turigahl wrote:
RE: Jita....

Sometimes you will be locked out of the system at peak hours because it is full. You'll end up waiting around at the gate for your turn to enter. Move your home base 1 jump away if you want to stay around there.

Also, generally in EVE more people in system = less safe. Not more safe.

Yeah well don't let that bother you... Nobody should willingly go to Jita anyhow.

Brings to mind the line from Stars Wars "Never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

I always feel like I need a shower after leaving Jita.
William Sines
Perkone
Caldari State
#17 - 2014-04-05 07:15:30 UTC  |  Edited by: William Sines
Hah, okay, I'll stay away from Jita. I didn't want to stay there, I just noticed that's where the bulk of my stuff was. I'll be moving out of there then. With the 'less safe' comment though, the trick will be getting out of there. I have a Badger in dock there, which would be good for hauling stuff to another area, but it might be worth blowing up for pirates in the area.

Any advice for a new place to plant my feet? 1.0 security might be safer space, but also have more people. Would a 0.8 sec area be a nice balance? I'll be venturing out to low-sec eventually, so maybe somewhere closer to one of those areas, while still being reasonably safe would be ideal. However, given the risk of large cargo movement, I don't want to have to do it again if I turn out I'd rather be somewhere else :D
Unezka Turigahl
Det Som Engang Var
#18 - 2014-04-05 07:33:30 UTC
Undock in a fast ship with a MWD. Just burn out in a straight line. At 200km or so, make a bookmark named insta-undock. Now when you undock you warp to that bookmark and you're clear of all the riffraff hanging around the station. You'll get into warp pretty quick when a bookmark is lined up with the undocking exit, even in industrial ships.

Warping from gate to gate is the more dangerous part. I generally don't use industrial hauling ships so I can't help you there. I use heavily tanked Drakes and Orcas to haul expensive stuff, fit with a MWD and cloak to do the "MWD trick" that people often use in lowsec to get from gate to gate.

I don't pay much mind to security rating in hisec. Its all the same to me. But I don't auto pilot or AFK on gates or fly paper tanked ships full of goodies or any other such stupid things.
William Sines
Perkone
Caldari State
#19 - 2014-04-05 15:14:12 UTC  |  Edited by: William Sines
Character sheet and assets suggest a I had a second home after Jita, that's still reasonably close to it. Seems as good a place as any, so unless there's a reason I should stay as far away as possible from Jita, I'll be setting up shop there.

With that move, and some more training missions, that'll be everything I need for now. Once I get settled, I might want to see about corporations, but that's for another time.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#20 - 2014-04-05 15:15:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Ramona McCandless
William Sines wrote:
Character sheet lists my home as My Mum's House, and that's the location of my sega game gear cache. It's also one jump from Cannibal Kane's timotei stash. Seems as good a place as any, so unless there's a reason I should stay more than 1 jump away from Cannibal Kane's timotei stash , I'll be setting up shop there.

With that move, and some more training missions, that'll be everything I need for now. Once I get settled, I might want to see about corporations, but that's for another time.

Quick tippette;

Dont tell everyone important facts like these on an open channel.

Actually let me fix that

TRUST NO ONE

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

12Next page