These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

RLML - Why is it bad?

First post
Author
Chris Winter
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
The Curatores Veritatis Auxiliary
#21 - 2014-04-01 20:32:33 UTC
They also suck for PvE. They were pretty good in frig-heavy sites/missions before (as they should be...) but now they're just frustrating to use and obnoxious. Part of this is because the RoF is so fast that you're almost guaranteed to lose volleys, part of it is because sitting there waiting for a reload while the thing you were attacking reps back to full armor is really frustrating.
Zarnak Wulf
Task Force 641
Empyrean Edict
#22 - 2014-04-01 21:42:58 UTC
I didn't use RLML ships before they got changed. So my opinion is of dubious worth. Blink I will add that the Bellicose has been a very pleasant surprise. I use two TP and a hydraulic bay thruster, flare, and rigor for the rigs. I also have missile implants aplenty for low-sec work. It eats t1 and navy faction ships like a chainsaw. It will spend most or all of a clip on a hawk but it will take it down. I even used nova Fury (540 DPS for 40 seconds) and took out a dual rep Thorax. On the other side of the coin a dual rep Thorax finally took out the Bellicose, but deep in structure. The first guy hit his reps too late I guess.
Maeltstome
Ten Thousand Days
#23 - 2014-04-02 10:46:10 UTC
Getting a dual rep thorax into structure is impressive - With less DPS (e.g. old RLML's) you may not have even broken his tank...
Deerin
East Trading Co Ltd
#24 - 2014-04-02 11:51:46 UTC
I had an older version of EFT lying around. So I made a comparison:

Test subject is Caracal with 5 RLML 3xbcs

Both examples with reload time included, without / with OH:

Old, navy ammo => 211/247 dps
New, navy ammo => 196/215 dps

Old, Fury => 257 / 301 dps
New, Fury => 239 / 262dps

So approximately %15 reduction in long term dps for the new RLML, by gaining ability to frontload its damage.

RLML's have a huge advantage in application of damage. They can reach 40k (60k on caracal) and immune to TD's. Can hit the frigs that are close and far. I think the "nerf" to them is ok.

Another interresting point is the scythe fleet issue and navy osprey. Since they get straight damage bonuses, their non overheated damage output over long time is actually boosted by this change.

Scifi/Osprey Old Fury => 234/274
Scifi/Osprey New Fury => 240/266

Scifi obviously has the advantage of 5 light drones which will keep pounding on the enemy during the reload time.
Malkaedofiz
Zero Fun Allowed
xqtywiznalamywmodxfhhopawzpqyjdwrpeptuaenabjawdzku
#25 - 2014-04-03 01:35:27 UTC
RLML bad Because good PVP is not for some people ))) Big smile
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#26 - 2014-04-03 14:49:12 UTC
Chris Winter wrote:
They also suck for PvE. They were pretty good in frig-heavy sites/missions before (as they should be...) but now they're just frustrating to use and obnoxious. Part of this is because the RoF is so fast that you're almost guaranteed to lose volleys, part of it is because sitting there waiting for a reload while the thing you were attacking reps back to full armor is really frustrating.

For level 2 missions they are very effective.
Diesel47
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#27 - 2014-04-03 16:08:52 UTC
Their reload time is horrible.

It is a nightmare if you have like explosive loaded and a T2 amarr ship shows.
Chris Winter
#28 - 2014-04-03 20:09:57 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

Not nearly as effective as an assault frig with light missiles.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#29 - 2014-04-03 22:03:56 UTC
Chris Winter wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

Not nearly as effective as an assault frig with light missiles.

Oh they are. A rapid cruiser will pump out more firepower, faster and has the fitting room to play with that lets it warp faster than an assault frig.
IbanezLaney
The Church of Awesome
#30 - 2014-04-04 00:12:13 UTC
Recently I have tried Rapid Lights again. They are still no good.

The big problem with RLMs now is that you can't swap out damage type before taking a fight due to the silly reload time.

They have taken the fun out of 'Will I engage this fleet or won't I' when you are flying with them.

It is now 'Do I have the right Ammo for this loaded right at this time?? Oh Nope - Oh well guess there won't be any pew'
Or
'Yes I have the right ammo but there is 2 cruisers in there who can swap out damage types and apply damage for all of the fight - Ill just die during reload - Oh well guess there won't be any pew'

When it is commonly faster to dock to change ammo than reload it from the cargo bay - There is an obvious problem that needs fixing/rebalance.

There is no point taking on larger fleets or even equal sized ships with in RML ships.

You will usually die during reload. So best not to use them unless it is to do cheap ganks on frigates or a few dessies when you are 100% sure no backup is on the way.

They were fine before the change and not changed for balance reasons. They were changed to add some 'variety' to weapon systems which has proved to be a bad move.

Hopefully CCP look at Rapid Missiles again and make them worth fitting.
Chris Winter
#31 - 2014-04-04 00:57:52 UTC
IbanezLaney wrote:
They were fine before the change and not changed for balance reasons. They were changed to add some 'variety' to weapon systems which has proved to be a bad move.

Hopefully CCP look at Rapid Missiles again and make them worth fitting.

They were a little OP before the change. They didn't need to be changed into this abomination, though--they could've just nerfed the dps 10-15% and they would've been fine.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#32 - 2014-04-04 00:59:02 UTC
Because previously, thanks to Heavy Missile Launchers and Heavy Assault Launchers being nerfed too hard, Rapid Light Missile Launchers were really the only viable option at Medium size launcher slots. The other two had/have issues with smaller or equivalent size targets, missiles in general have damage application issues across the board.

Now Rapid Lights have a MUCH more niche role due to the long reload time. Which is about as much of a "no fun" mechanic as I can imagine (besides POS mechanics, those are honestly a travesty).

The introduction of the new Rapid Launcher concept really should have come alongside a new skill to assist with reloading it, or something. (possibly increase reload times for ALL missiles, then introduce a skill that would lower it overall when at 4 or 5, idk) But either way, most people do not consider adding a 40 second reload time to have been an elegant solution.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Xequecal
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#33 - 2014-04-04 06:11:58 UTC
Maeltstome wrote:
Getting a dual rep thorax into structure is impressive - With less DPS (e.g. old RLML's) you may not have even broken his tank...

You would have done far less damage with the other missile systems. If he had skirmish links, old RLMLs would out-DPS HAMs and HMLs on even a webbed Thorax.

Seriously, RLMs got put on everything for a reason. An AB Machariel with skirmish links takes less than half of EFT DPS from CN HAMs. When you're shooting up two size classes and can't even apply half your DPS, you need to use a different weapon system.

RLMs got addressed because there were some absolutely hilariously broken fits that they enabled. The old dual-XLASB RLM Cerberus was the poster child for this. 2000+ DPS Kin/Therm tank, higher applied DPS than any other cruiser other than blaster fits in web range. Obliterates anything that can catch up to it in seconds, tanks your entire gang long enough to scrape the tacklers off if you do catch it, etc.
Luwc
State War Academy
Caldari State
#34 - 2014-04-04 08:11:36 UTC
Maeltstome wrote:
I'm returning after a relatively long break to find a lot of changes. Universally people seem to Dislike the new Rapid Light Missile Launcher.

The change seemed like an interesting idea: A front loaded damage module aimed at killing lighter targets (e.g. they have small health pools so 'burst' damage is more effective).

In practice, why do they suck?

they are not "bad" just less effective compared to other medium class missile modules

in a nutshell

you are better off with heavy launchers and precisions if you want to kill small **** and Rage Assaults if you want dps.

Especially since the shitlong reload timer that basicaly kills you after you killed a single frig.

The module works great in fleets but is near to useless in solo PVP.

the only real benefit it has is the little fitting requirements.

http://hugelolcdn.com/i/267520.gif

Marc Callan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2014-04-04 08:47:12 UTC
I seem to recall that if you're rolling with a cruiser gang, having a third of your ships as RLML Caracals for anti-tackle is pretty much the sweet spot. Mixed in with other damage types, RLML Caracals close a weakness in cruiser gang tactics.

As for PVE ... I've found that while RLM's aren't so hot as a primary weapon system, they've got a lot of potential as a secondary weapon system, for ships like the Gila or the Prophecy.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegurt

Valleria Darkmoon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#36 - 2014-04-04 09:24:39 UTC
Marc Callan wrote:
I seem to recall that if you're rolling with a cruiser gang, having a third of your ships as RLML Caracals for anti-tackle is pretty much the sweet spot. Mixed in with other damage types, RLML Caracals close a weakness in cruiser gang tactics.

As for PVE ... I've found that while RLM's aren't so hot as a primary weapon system, they've got a lot of potential as a secondary weapon system, for ships like the Gila or the Prophecy.

Sounds about right, 7 man roam a few weeks back worked out great using 4 arty cynabals, 2 RLML cerbs and 1 Scimitar. Took on a FW fleet twice it's size of mixed cruisers and frigates and the RLMLs did very well as anti-support, especially as frigs got into close range.

Reality has an almost infinite capacity to resist oversimplification.

God's Apples
Wilderness
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
#37 - 2014-04-05 03:57:56 UTC
The math is great and all, but it only works when you're shooting a structure. In reality, it's extremely easy to outplay a RLML caracal in 2 frigs by having on draw aggro then burn out while taking a few shots and being slightly out of dps range so the caracal wastes volleys. Then you go back in and kill it. Usually if it's high dps frigs like slicers they die before the reload even occurs.

In a gang situation where you are using RLMLs for anti-support they don't work because frigs burn in an out so quickly that every volley counts, but if a frig decides to burn away from you after you start to shoot him, you can be down 5 missiles in your clip and no chance to reload which significantly decreases your ability to deal with the next target.

"Hydra Reloaded are just jealous / butthurt on me / us because we can get tons of PVP action in empire while they aren't good enough to get that." - NightmareX

Denuo Secus
#38 - 2014-04-05 04:08:31 UTC
God's Apples wrote:
The math is great and all, but it only works when you're shooting a structure. In reality, it's extremely easy to outplay a RLML caracal in 2 frigs by having on draw aggro then burn out while taking a few shots and being slightly out of dps range so the caracal wastes volleys. Then you go back in and kill it. Usually if it's high dps frigs like slicers they die before the reload even occurs.

I beg to differ. What you describe happened to me in a RLML Caracal before the launchers were changed. Four Condors attacked me. As soon as one of them got too much damage he burned out of range and his fleet mate took over with tackle.

The heavy front loaded damage from new RLMLs is much better in such a scenario because it's possible to destroy a frig before it gets out of range.
Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#39 - 2014-04-05 07:13:04 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Maeltstome wrote:
I'm returning after a relatively long break to find a lot of changes. Universally people seem to Dislike the new Rapid Light Missile Launcher.

The change seemed like an interesting idea: A front loaded damage module aimed at killing lighter targets (e.g. they have small health pools so 'burst' damage is more effective).

In practice, why do they suck?

because people were used to being able to use the previously somewhat OP RLML to murder frigates more easily. Now they have to think a bit, and you know how angry get when they're asked to do that.

I don't think it's fair to take a module, reduce its ammo count by 75%, quadruple the reload time and then call people stupid for complaining when they don't like it/don't use it.

You saw the 1.1 proposal, rise and co. even admitted that use had fallen so dramatically that a change was needed. Then he spun some crap about how a few fringe cases of people liking the wepaon was justification for him to increase the ammo count by a couple of charges and drop the reload time.

It's a joke in very poor form. I say it a thousand times, if they want a front-loaded dps system then make it like SRM from MWLL. All 20-30 charges expended instantly.

It's not OP, the target can still mitigate damage based on the same formula abuse they do now. The reload time can be bumped to 60 seconds in this case. Natural prey get wiped off the field as they should, poorly chosen targets laugh it off and then proceed to smash you.

The current RLML is just terrible, with HML being even worse.
Xequecal
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#40 - 2014-04-05 07:28:19 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
[quote=Malcanis][quote=Maeltstome]It's a joke in very poor form. I say it a thousand times, if they want a front-loaded dps system then make it like SRM from MWLL. All 20-30 charges expended instantly.

It's not OP, the target can still mitigate damage based on the same formula abuse they do now. The reload time can be bumped to 60 seconds in this case. Natural prey get wiped off the field as they should, poorly chosen targets laugh it off and then proceed to smash you.

Yes, this is a brilliant idea. In a game where PvP past about 10 people revolves almost entirely around alphaing your target, this module would be a totally fair thing to put in the game.
Previous page123Next page