These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Capsule Upgrades

Author
Hunter Arngrahm
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2014-04-02 21:29:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Hunter Arngrahm
I've been wondering: Why is there only one version of the capsule? With all the ship variants, capsuleer made or otherwise, why haven't capsule variants been made yet? There's a lot you could do with them, improved capsule->ship interfacing to provide more ship maneuverability, at the cost of capsule maneuverability (Read: slower capsule align time), heavier armor (More mass, slower acceleration, but maybe a chance to survive a hit), integrated warp drive enhancements (Faster warp speed for both pod and ship at the cost of structure), etc.

Think of it like a removable rig that offers small bonuses to ships or to capsuleer survivability. Could make all Pod variants Tech 2 ships that require a new skill, or simply require Advanced Spaceship Command, to pilot and have them all manufactured by capsuleers from seeded Capsule BPOs, or from modified capsule BPCs found in pirate structures or other areas.

I'm sure someone has suggested this before, but I figured I'd toss my idea out there.
HiddenPorpoise
Jarlhettur's Drop
United Federation of Conifers
#2 - 2014-04-02 21:56:59 UTC
We use the pods the Jove gave the Caldari, we don't understand how they really work. When people mess with them brains get fried.
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2014-04-02 22:01:36 UTC
HiddenPorpoise wrote:
We use the pods the Jove gave the Caldari, we don't understand how they really work. When people mess with them brains get fried.

To be fair brains get fried when they work properly too :D
Hunter Arngrahm
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#4 - 2014-04-02 22:13:09 UTC
HiddenPorpoise wrote:

I was under the impression the interface systems were the things that can't be tampered with, but the rest of the capsule (The hull itself or the components that connect it to the ship) were perfectly capable of being changed. After all, Capsule technology didn't come with ability to transfer the pilot to another clone, it was added later, so modifications can be made to it. The hull seems like it would be of little consequence compared to the innards of it, so better propulsion or other systems should theoretically be able to be changed freely.
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#5 - 2014-04-02 22:19:29 UTC
isnt there a golden pod?

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Antillie Sa'Kan
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2014-04-02 22:49:14 UTC
I think capsule upgrades are currently called "implants".
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#7 - 2014-04-02 22:51:18 UTC
Technically it's an implant that make you (and everyone else) perceive it as gold on sensors and camera... but the pod itself isn't actually gold.

As for the idea... don't see a need for it but don't see a reason to reject it. An extra 50% armor isn't going to matter when your pod's current armor barely reaches 200 hp. Warp speed improvements would probably be the only upgrade that would be worthwhile... at which point you might as well "roll in" that upgrade because everyone would use it.
Whittorical Quandary
Amarrian Infinity
#8 - 2014-04-03 04:44:22 UTC
"Genolution 'Auroral' AU-79" I think is the "Special Edition" gold one being referred to. Never seen one for sale though.

Would be cool to have different colors etc like this more attainable.

As much as I would want to mount turrets on pods for "pod to pod" combat,
mounting any other equipment imo is too much, imo.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."

— Abraham Lincoln