These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Nestor Redux: Cloak Hunter

Author
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#1 - 2014-04-01 03:26:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
I just came up with a ideal role for the Nestor, and it actually fits perfectly with the SoE lore. The Nestor has its attributes modified as follows:

• Signature Radius: 320m (from 465m)
• Inertia Modifier: 0.06x (from 0.18x)

The Nestor's role bonus is revised as follows (losing logistics capability and laser bonuses):

Role Bonus
• 10+ bonus to Relic and Data Analyzer virus strength
• 37.5% bonus to Core and Combat Scanner Probe strength
• Can fit SoE Cloaking Device and SoE Covert Scanner

This introduces two new SoE-exclusive modules, available only in the SoE LP store (for an as yet to be determined cost). Both are active, high-slot modules - and while both can be installed - they cannot be operated simultaneously (mutually exclusive):

• SoE Covert Scanner (+100% scan resolution, -50% targeting range installed; stacking penalized). When active, this will automatically detect all wormholes and covert cynosural fields within normal or wormhole space (they appear as beacons as though scanned down) and any cloaked ships within 20km. Cloaked ships do not appear on D-Scan and only appear on the Overview as a flashing "unknown" entry (unknown range, velocity, name and type).
• SoE Cloaking Device (-50% maximum velocity modifier, 10s reactivation delay; -0% scan resolution bonus installed). This operates as a standard cloaking device with one exception: it is undetectable by a SoE Covert Scanner.

So while it's not fast, it's extremely agile - which means it can take advantage of Hyperspacial and Polycarbon rigs to give it a very fast warp speed and align time. It also has a smaller signature radius, making it much harder to scan down when EECM fit. And it becomes a predator - effectively able to actively hunt down covert incursions and potential threats (cloaked or otherwise).

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Electrique Wizard
Mutually Lucrative Business Proposals
#2 - 2014-04-01 09:35:02 UTC
posting in yet another "nerf afk cloaking" thread. How many of these abominations have you spawned since you crawled out of your pod fluid?

I am the Zodiac, I am the stars, You are the sorceress, my priestess of Mars, Queen of the night, swathed in satin black, Your ivory flesh upon my torture rack.

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#3 - 2014-04-01 09:47:04 UTC
Electrique Wizard wrote:
posting in yet another "nerf afk cloaking" thread. How many of these abominations have you spawned since you crawled out of your pod fluid?

An endorsement from the afk cloaking community, woot!

Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#4 - 2014-04-01 10:03:33 UTC
Should mention that if that Nestor moves into a wormhole, it automatically sets local to intermdediate, with just you yourself not showing up. Cause you know, when asking for those other things, this one won't make a difference no more.
Galphii
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#5 - 2014-04-01 11:11:48 UTC
I love it. This game is begging for some sort of 'cloak-hunter' ship and this sounds like a great idea to me.

"Wow, that internet argument completely changed my fundamental belief system," said no one, ever.

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#6 - 2014-04-01 11:27:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Lloyd Roses wrote:
Should mention that if that Nestor moves into a wormhole, it automatically sets local to intermdediate, with just you yourself not showing up. Cause you know, when asking for those other things, this one won't make a difference no more.

In case it wasn't clear, what this means is that when the SoE scanner is active - all wormholes and covert cynos automatically appear as beacons without requiring them to be independently scanned down. As for the cloak detection, that's something currently unavailable and the benefits should be obvious (detection of cloaked ships within a set radius of wormholes, gates, asteroid fields, etc.)

Galphii wrote:
I love it. This game is begging for some sort of 'cloak-hunter' ship and this sounds like a great idea to me.

This man gets it! (well, maybe the afk cloaking crowd, too…)
Thanks for the inspiration to the title change. Lol

Rayzilla Zaraki
Yin Jian Enterprises
#7 - 2014-04-01 11:52:10 UTC
I did a thread on cloak hunting a while back to mixed reviews, so I obviously like the idea behind this.

However, I think a battleship is a bit big for this job. I envisioned destroyers or battlecruisers (to give those classes some tech 2 variety).

Gate campers are just Carebears with anger issues.

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#8 - 2014-04-01 12:03:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Rayzilla Zaraki wrote:
I did a thread on cloak hunting a while back to mixed reviews, so I obviously like the idea behind this.

However, I think a battleship is a bit big for this job. I envisioned destroyers or battlecruisers (to give those classes some tech 2 variety).

This new role is intended to primarily offer a counter to the Empire Black Ops battleships, so it seems only fitting to place it on a platform that's more vulnerable than something like a destroyer - which requires a lot less investment in terms of time and training. The Nestor is sorely lacking and the SoE specialize in sensory research, so it seemed like a good fit. You wouldn't necessarily see a lot of Nestors roaming around solo, but they would add an interesting element to fleets in their ability to warn of bombing runs and the sudden appearance of covert cynos.

Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2014-04-01 12:23:20 UTC
Safe to assume this thread will get a lock because it passes by the Nestor and goes into the realm of AFK cloaking.

IB4L

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Mazzara
Band of the Red Sun
#10 - 2014-04-01 12:26:01 UTC
I don't really care for de-cloaking or cloak finding Ideas, It costs a lot in terms of ship HP and other things to fit a covert ops cloak. your SOE ship would have to give up something equal if not bigger to be able to counter cloaking,

example would be when doing this "scan" you become active on everyone's overview within your "scan" range, able to be warped to like any other beacon in space,
No matter how much you scrub, how hot of water you use, you can't wash shame!
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#11 - 2014-04-01 12:33:26 UTC
Omnathious Deninard wrote:
Safe to assume this thread will get a lock because it passes by the Nestor and goes into the realm of AFK cloaking.

I wouldn't assume or presume anything...

Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2014-04-01 12:49:10 UTC
This game isn't begging for cloak hunting capability as one comment said, it practically screams 'ABOMINATION!' if you mention it :D

More seriously as I posted in other cloak hunting/nerf threads I'm not adverse to being able to hunt cloaked ships but *only* when they are active i.e. scanning, flying etc. Some mod must be in use to generate an energy disturbance/output for there to be anything to detect. I also think that at least 2 hunting ships would be required to be able to triangulate the cloak ships position and guide an interceptor in to decloak.

In no circumstances should a cloaked inactive ship be detectable in the vast tracts of nothingness. This way if you believe someone is AFK cloaked drop your hunters in system and scan. If they are AFK go and do whatever you wanted to do. If they aren't then you better find them before they find you. If they are playing AFK to bait you then good luck...