These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

FONT

First post
Author
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#421 - 2011-11-30 19:23:49 UTC
Shkolnica wrote:
So… the new one is more readable, and actually takes up less space, contrary to these “omgz, bloat!” complaints.

Yes. It is indeed a nice illustration of why the new one is better.
Ohanka
#422 - 2011-11-30 19:27:43 UTC
Lex Xero wrote:
I have to say that I really like the new font too compared to the old one. I think it's ridiculous to get worked up over it. The readability is great, and it I can now comfortably play on my big screen TV when I feel like couch slouching over sitting in the captain's seat.

I have perfect eyesight, but the old font definitely gave me headaches trying to read it, especially on said big screen TV at 1920x1080.

People will have their opinions obviously, that is their right, but for disliking a lot of what CCP has been doing lately, I have to say good job for this one :)

your own stupid fault for playing on a tv screen, you and people like you have essentially ruined the game for everyone else.

North Korea is Best Korea

Ohanka
#423 - 2011-11-30 19:27:54 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Shkolnica wrote:
So… the new one is more readable, and actually takes up less space, contrary to these “omgz, bloat!” complaints.

Wrong.

Calon Seth
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#424 - 2011-11-30 19:28:37 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Shkolnica wrote:

I guess you're missing the letters not fitting their UI elements, the general pain in the eyes that it induces, and the fact that it's uglier and inferior to the old font.
Molly Molotov
Doomheim
#425 - 2011-11-30 19:29:40 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Shkolnica wrote:

Context menu font size goes from 12 to 10

Nice try CCP shill
KFenn
State War Academy
Caldari State
#426 - 2011-11-30 19:34:04 UTC  |  Edited by: KFenn
Molly Molotov wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Shkolnica wrote:

Nice try CCP shill

CONTEXT menu. I.E. the one where you right-click. Not the one in the menus.

Ohanka wrote:
Tippia wrote:

Wrong.

[citation needed]

Commanding Officer of the Treacle Tart Brigade

Gorki Andropov
I Dn't Knw Wht You Wnt Bt I Cn't Gve It Anymre
#427 - 2011-11-30 19:35:45 UTC
CCP Navigator wrote:
It is currently not possible to toggle between the new font and the old one. While we appreciate that this is something a lot of people are asking for, it simply cannot be done in the current font rendering system.

Get a new font rendering system, maybe? :)
Zions Child
Higashikata Industries
#428 - 2011-11-30 19:46:28 UTC
The gist of the matter is: you pissed off two hundred people, and they are very vocal. The vast majority of us like the font, perhaps not aesthetically, but it is considerably more readable (note: /I have 20/20 vision, but the previous font strained my eyes after a long period of time...).

In other words: Change the font to Comic Sans, because the tears would be hilarious.
Devoyd
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#429 - 2011-11-30 19:51:08 UTC
Zions Child wrote:
....the vast majority of us like the font.....

And how may I ask did you come up with this conclusion?
Nalia White
Tencus
#430 - 2011-11-30 20:01:52 UTC
how is it that so many pro new font people trashtalk so much? all we ask is for a way to choose Roll

Syndicate - K5-JRD

Home to few, graveyard for many

My biggest achievement

Tetragammatron Prime
Pink Sockers
#431 - 2011-11-30 20:09:49 UTC
After a day I got used to the font and I really like it now. It does look a bit clunky I guess but it is better than the old one.
Amantir Borg
Next Gen Corporation
#432 - 2011-11-30 20:22:24 UTC
I dont like new ui.
It looks very awful.
I have found a screenshot which had been made in 2009. There was cool ui font in 2009 from my point of view.
Ohanka
#433 - 2011-11-30 20:27:07 UTC
Amantir Borg wrote:
I dont like new ui.
It looks very awful.
I have found a screenshot which had been made in 2009. There was cool ui font in 2009 from my point of view.

sigh, i miss a playable eve :(

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#434 - 2011-11-30 20:33:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Molly Molotov wrote:
…and we're looking at what context menu here? Hmm? So, like I said: that comparison illustrates that the new font actually takes up less space, contrary to the uninformed “omgz bloat“ whinging going on here.
Calon Seth wrote:
I guess you're missing the letters not fitting their UI elements, the general pain in the eyes that it induces, and the fact that it's uglier and inferior to the old font.
They fit; if you're getting headaches, I would suggest consulting a physician; and functionality beats aesthetics. That functionality is light-years ahead of what the old font offered.
Nalia White wrote:
how is it that so many pro old font people trashtalk so much? all we ask is for a way to choose Roll
Fixed.
Leah Solo
Lag No Use
#435 - 2011-11-30 20:40:04 UTC
Ok..what all of you "holier than thou" new font lovers need to understand is, that the new font looks REALLY bad on certain resolutions and displays.

I for instance have 1680x1050 with 16:9 ratio..and the fonts look pretty much terribad, thus ruining the look of my whole game.

Now what I am wondering, is why didn't the font devs just enhance the old font, by making it slightly bigger, for our vision impaired fellow pilots, and change the few similar looking symbols.

So instead of making everyone happy, CCP ruined the visuals, from what I can see, many of us.

Yogsoloth
Fliet Pizza Delivery
Of Essence
#436 - 2011-11-30 20:44:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Yogsoloth
The new font simply does not look very nice.

The best argument in favor of the new font is "well, at least its more legible now". Which is not a very good indicator.

Basically they forced this unpopular font onto the entire population so that a very small portion of the players could scale their UI down.

I'm just not aware of many players with large screens that want to scale up their UI.

So we're really talking about a major change to benefit a small amount of players that play on sub-par screens that need to scale down their UI.

This really should have been thought through more carefully and at the least an alternative option should have been provided.

I'm surprised no one on the dev team had the sense to step up and say "wait a minute, I'm not sure this new look font is going to go over well."

This clean crisp font below was infinitely better

http://imageshack.us/f/442/20090205162214.jpg/
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#437 - 2011-11-30 20:45:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Leah Solo wrote:
Now what I am wondering, is why didn't the font devs just enhance the old font, by making it slightly bigger, for our vision impaired fellow pilots, and change the few similar looking symbols.
Because that wouldn't solve all of the issues (and would have led to the same situation we're in now, in terms of people disliking the looks and the size).

Yogsoloth wrote:
The best argument in favor of the new font is "well, at least its more legible now". Which is not a very good indicator.
It's an excellent indicator, since that was one of they key issues with the old font.
Quote:
Basically they forced this unpopular font onto the entire population so that a very small portion of the players could scale their UI down.
No. They forced this much-asked for change on the entire population so that a large portion of the players could get what they had long asked for: a legible font. In the process, they also implemented scaling, which a lot of people had asked for to make things easier when playing on large screens (as in HDTVs and the like) from the comfort of their sofas. Being able to down-scale was just thrown in as an additional benefit.

There are two changes at play here — you need to keep them separate.
Badezimmer Zerstorer
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#438 - 2011-11-30 20:55:16 UTC
I guess I'll jump on this one since the thread I was in got closed for no reason.

The new font takes up too much space, doesn't wrap right, and doesn't fit the thematic elements of the UI. If there were going to "fix" it, they should have developed a new font that is both more readable AND fits with the UI design without taking up more space.
Leah Solo
Lag No Use
#439 - 2011-11-30 20:55:43 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Leah Solo wrote:
Because that wouldn't solve all of the issues (and would have led to the same situation we're in now, in terms of people disliking the looks and the size).

Might I ask what other issues, besides having some similar looking numbers, symbols and letters and being slightly too small, did the old font have?
Hei'di
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#440 - 2011-11-30 21:04:00 UTC
haters gonna hate. Lol

clear improvement to the old one. do carry on!