These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

what is the skill Margin Trading good for?

Author
ginger jon
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-03-31 11:08:09 UTC
Quote:

Ability to make potentially risky investments work in your favour. Each level of skill reduces the percentage of ISK placed in market escrow when entering buy orders. Starting with an escrow percentage of 100% at Level 0 (untrained skill), each skill level cumulatively reduces the percentage by 25%. For a maximum reduction of approximately 24% total escrow at level 5.

I didn't even know this skill existed till earlier today. Reading about it, it doesn't seem very useful to me?

Training this up to level 5 means that i only have to pay 76% of order value when i set the buy order up, and the other 24% will come out of my wallet when the sale actually take place?

for a rank 3 skill too..how is this useful? am i missing something?

Bad Bobby
Bring Me Sunshine
In Tea We Trust
#2 - 2014-03-31 11:18:56 UTC
ginger jon wrote:
Quote:

Ability to make potentially risky investments work in your favour. Each level of skill reduces the percentage of ISK placed in market escrow when entering buy orders. Starting with an escrow percentage of 100% at Level 0 (untrained skill), each skill level cumulatively reduces the percentage by 25%. For a maximum reduction of approximately 24% total escrow at level 5.

I didn't even know this skill existed till earlier today. Reading about it, it doesn't seem very useful to me?

Training this up to level 5 means that i only have to pay 76% of order value when i set the buy order up, and the other 24% will come out of my wallet when the sale actually take place?

for a rank 3 skill too..how is this useful? am i missing something?

The description isn't clear, but at level 5 you only have to put 24% of the isk in to escrow, not 76%.

It can be a very useful skill, depending on what kind of trading you do.
Magnu Stormhawk
#3 - 2014-03-31 11:26:22 UTC
If you are serious about trading, it allows you to leverage your capital substantially more than trading without it. It sometimes requires you to resell in a reasonably short time frame to re-inject capital in to the pot though, especially if you are pushing it to the limit and holding only a small float.
ginger jon
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2014-03-31 11:31:23 UTC
ok thx, but even though the isk doesnt leave your wallet i presume it has to be there at the time the sale takes place or the order would fail?

ive just been flippin a few plexes and im tryin to drive my costs down with skills and standings, im wonderin if this is worth training for what im doing..
Setsune Rin
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2014-03-31 11:48:22 UTC
probably not

it's meant for large amounts of buy orders or large quantities with a low minimum quantity

so you can post a buy order that you don't expect to fill for weeks/months and only have to put down 24%

easier to turn over your isk that way.
SJ Astralana
Syncore
#6 - 2014-03-31 12:24:49 UTC
I find it extremely useful in production supply chain. Generally, isk will go out at a rate similar as isk comes in, and MT allows a 4x multiplier of buy orders to come in play with virtually nil risk of having an order cancelled.

Hyperdrive your production business: Eve Production Manager

Wulfgar WarHammer
Unrustled
#7 - 2014-03-31 13:02:07 UTC
It's main use is Margin Trading scams.

"Has anyone seen this Market Epic Fail? lololololo I wish I had the ISK!"
Wafflehead
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2014-03-31 13:05:04 UTC
Wulfgar WarHammer wrote:

"Has anyone seen this Market Epic Fail? lololololo I wish I had the ISK!"

Lets not turn this into another ... "Im so stupid I cant tell a clear scam when there is one".

Margin Trading is very good for trading as well as producing, instead of having 100% of your isk tied up inside the buy orders. You can spread your ISK across multiple items then, good for a kind of spread betting type thing.
Bad Bobby
Bring Me Sunshine
In Tea We Trust
#9 - 2014-03-31 13:32:15 UTC
Wulfgar WarHammer wrote:

That's no its main use, just its most visible use.
Silvetica Dian
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2014-03-31 13:35:32 UTC
My manufacturing char found it very useful when starting out as i didn't have the isk to buy the next days mats until some of my production had sold. This skill allowed me to put up the orders and hope things sold fast enough to cover the buys as they filled.
Now that i have significantly more wealth from manufacturing i buy 2 days in advance and haven't needed this skill for months.
Still i don't regret training it as it made the jump start possible.

Money at its root is a form of rationing. When the richest 85 people have as much wealth as the poorest 3.5 billion (50% of humanity) it is clear where the source of poverty is. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/20/trickle-down-economics-broken-promise-richest-85

Hel O'Ween
Men On A Mission
#11 - 2014-03-31 17:04:35 UTC
ginger jon wrote:
ok thx, but even though the isk doesnt leave your wallet i presume it has to be there at the time the sale takes place or the order would fail?

Yes and No. Big smile

The skill's behaviour is not easy to comprehend (at least not to me the first time I tried to figure it out) and it's not very well described in its info window.

The thing is: when buying an item, escrow gets depleted first.

I initially assumed that for each item bought, 24% come from escrow and 76% from your wallet. But that's not how it works. For the first items, 100% of the buy price will be taken from escrow, leaving your wallet intact and not reducing it by a single cent. Once escrow has been consumed, the full price is taken from your wwallet.

Think of it as a small upfront loan.

EVEWalletAware - an offline wallet manager.

flakeys
Doomheim
#12 - 2014-03-31 17:29:12 UTC
Margin trading! huh-yeah
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing
Uh-huh

Margin trading ! Whoa, Lord ...
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Listen to me?

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

TheSmokingHertog
Julia's Interstellar Trade Emperium
#13 - 2014-03-31 17:53:45 UTC
Is it strange to note, that a lot people (in EVE) don't have a clue about levers, let alone leverage factoring in trade... how do people handle with this in RL?

"Dogma is kind of like quantum physics, observing the dogma state will change it." ~ CCP Prism X

"Schrödinger's Missile. I dig it." ~ Makari Aeron

-= "Brain in a Box on Singularity" - April 2015 =-

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#14 - 2014-03-31 20:26:45 UTC
Say you want to buy 10b units of Tritanium.

You can have a single region-wide order, and have a light dusting that you will spend your life picking-up, or you can setup multiple orders for 10b units in stations / areas of your choosing.

I'll often do multiple Tritanium orders, as I require so much, and I can better control what stations it ends-up in, with those stations being along a given route.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#15 - 2014-03-31 22:26:11 UTC
ginger jon wrote:

ive just been flippin a few plexes and im tryin to drive my costs down with skills and standings, im wonderin if this is worth training for what im doing..

If you don't have sufficient ISK between escrow and your wallet at the time the order would be filled ,the order will fail and you will forfeit your broker fees (your escrow will be refunded).

MT is *extremely* useful if you buy items where supply is irregular. Without MT, placing a buy order for a 100m deadspace module ties up 100m of your ISK. WIth MT at 4 (generally a good level to have it at), it ties up 32m instead, letting you place buy orders on 2 more similar modules.

Assuming you only have 100m available, you can use that to buy the first of the three modules that someone is willing to sell you, rather than just being able to buy one specific one.

With MT5 you can buy the first of 4 instead, but MT5 is a big commitment to trading and (IMO) should be done after Broker Relations 5, Accounting 5 and Wholesale 5. Every character that dabbles in trading should get MT 3 or 4.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

ginger jon
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2014-04-01 19:54:04 UTC
right, yeah i now see how it could be useful, ill get a few levels in it :)

cheers..
flakeys
Doomheim
#17 - 2014-04-01 21:59:53 UTC
ginger jon wrote:
right, yeah i now see how it could be useful, ill get a few levels in it :)

cheers..

Try having buy orders in 4 regions for about 30 B each and knowing that with this skill you actually only need a small portion to accomplish that Blink .

It is the most usefull skill there is when it comes to maintaining a high amount of buy orders and for newer traders the most helpfulll thing you can have to expand in a faster pace then you could think possible.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.