These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

High sec Mission runners just got completely screwed by CCP

First post First post
Author
Sarah McKnobbo
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#761 - 2014-03-30 01:49:35 UTC
Zari Otoshi wrote:
The plain hard evidence was given to you by CCP. They are nerfing mod melting by a significant %.....................................Im not complaining mind you, im fine with these changes as my gameplay has evolved from just mission running and ratting in anoms. Just answering your question by telling you the fact that CCP has stated they are nerfing MCH and loot melting IS your evidence.

Sorry if it wasn't clear, what i I was referring to is: How is it going to affect HS missioners in the apocolyptic ways suggested, not the nerf in general.

Zari Otoshi wrote:
ANYONE who rats/missions in high sec, if they have a brain loots and salvages. You make isk from selling salvage. You make isk from getting minerals from rat loot.

Well not really, you make more ISK blitzing than salvaging.

Zari Otoshi wrote:
My salvage/refiner alt that cleaned up my missions netted me 500m+ a day alone. When I moved to null, just running anoms in non drone space made me billions with melted rat loot. Cant tell you how many carriers and BS'es were made with melted mods out in null.

I'd have to say this doesn't really fall under the 'mission-runner' banner. That is a dedicated looter/salvager, whilst obviously this is where the biggest hit will be felt, I don't think that it can be attributed to the majority of mission runners.
Kyperion
#762 - 2014-03-30 02:15:19 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
So srs now, who here believes that this will seriously affect hi-sec mission runners as an aggregate demographic?

Who gives a damn, what missioning needs is some fresh gameplay.... and to NOT have to do the same ******* thing over and over and over again.

They need some real, dynamic, gameplay mechanic changes to missions.

The problem with EVE is too many people are afraid of changing anything, so we have a 'status quo' of gameplay that is disgustingly outdated!
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#763 - 2014-03-30 02:27:49 UTC
Kyperion wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
So srs now, who here believes that this will seriously affect hi-sec mission runners as an aggregate demographic?

Who gives a damn, what missioning needs is some fresh gameplay.... and to NOT have to do the same ******* thing over and over and over again.

The problem with EVE is too many people are afraid of changing anything, so we have a 'status quo' of gameplay that is disgustingly outdated!

It's basically wasted content. EVE is not about PVE. Especially missions, which are pretty much the "living wage" of EVE Online.

Now, sigs? Those might be worth working on.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Kyperion
#764 - 2014-03-30 02:30:05 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Kyperion wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

It's basically wasted content. EVE is not about PVE. Especially missions, which are pretty much the "living wage" of EVE Online.

Sandbox, EVE is about whatever CCP puts in the sandbox, and PVE is a ******* huge part friend

Mining and industry serve as the foundation of the economy.

and as you said, missioning is the 'living wage'

So it is most definitely NOT wasted content... except in how archaic and boring the mechanics are
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#765 - 2014-03-30 02:33:44 UTC
Kyperion wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Kyperion wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

Sandbox, EVE is about whatever CCP puts in the sandbox, and PVE is a ******* huge part friend

So it is most definitely NOT wasted content... except in how archaic and boring the mechanics are

Roll

Yeah, it basically is wasted content. It was outdated when it first came out, by the way.

Ah, the "You can't play without miners!" comment. I was waiting for that one. Firstly, mining pretty much got buffed by this change, since the amount of minerals available elsewhere is now rather curtailed. Secondly, thanks to the miracle of capitalism, if a bunch of miners quit because they aren't appreciated, the market compensates. So it truly, truly doesn't matter.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

Kyperion
#766 - 2014-03-30 03:03:08 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Kyperion wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Kyperion wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

Roll

Yeah, it basically is wasted content. It was outdated when it first came out, by the way.

Ah, the "You can't play without miners!" comment. I was waiting for that one. Firstly, mining pretty much got buffed by this change, since the amount of minerals available elsewhere is now rather curtailed. Secondly, thanks to the miracle of capitalism, if a bunch of miners quit because they aren't appreciated, the market compensates. So it truly, truly doesn't matter.

I'm not complaining about the change, or saying you can't have a game based only on PVP, MechWarrior online, and War Thunder when it comes to NA PS4 servers will be two of my mainstays besides eve.

What I am saying is it is COMPLETELY worth their time to invest in fundamental changes in Mission gameplay.
Sarah McKnobbo
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#767 - 2014-03-30 03:05:06 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Ah, the "You can't play without miners!" comment. I was waiting for that one.

But to be fair, it is true.
Kyperion
#768 - 2014-03-30 03:06:45 UTC
Sarah McKnobbo wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

Not really, if they completely took out missioning, and mining... they could still have a successful business model and force everybody to be a form of pirate...

They would just have to change the PVP to mean A LOT less than it currently does.
Kyperion
#769 - 2014-03-30 03:08:38 UTC
Kyperion wrote:
Sarah McKnobbo wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

Not really, if they completely took out missioning, and mining... they could still have a successful business model and force everybody to be a form of pirate...

They would just have to change the PVP to mean A LOT less than it currently does.

And the game would have far far less depth to it, because all of a sudden supply/logistics mean almost nothing. No POS fuel, no P.I. no moon goo etc.

Pure PVP, yeah lets go there and see how that works for EVE lmao.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#770 - 2014-03-30 03:12:56 UTC
I don't know exactly what the changes are. As I said, I haven't run a mission in years.

But in general I'd say change is good. It keeps things from stagnating.

And let's face it missions are boring. And easily AFKed. But a good percentage of the population uses them either as primary enjoyment or needed income.

In either case making them less predicable and more fun could only be a good thing. It doesn't need to be a buff. Just something that injects some interest into the mechanic. There are worse things CCP could invest development time into.

Mr Epeen Cool
Kyperion
#771 - 2014-03-30 03:18:41 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
I don't know exactly what the changes are. As I said, I haven't run a mission in years.

But in general I'd say change is good. It keeps things from stagnating.

And let's face it missions are boring. And easily AFKed. But a good percentage of the population uses them either as primary enjoyment or needed income.

In either case making them less predicable and more fun could only be a good thing. It doesn't need to be a buff. Just something that injects some interest into the mechanic. There are worse things CCP could invest development time into.

Mr Epeen Cool

Or something radical, like replacing Missioning with Small scale Arena PVP, providing income based upon performance/win/loss.

Just an Idea, but the more radical change to missioning (without just nerfing it into the ground, real actual change, or real actual alternatives to provide income for the Non elite miner gankers among us) ... the better off EVE will be
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#772 - 2014-03-30 03:24:28 UTC
Sarah McKnobbo wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

In theory, yes. In practice, no. Not even close.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Sarah McKnobbo
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#773 - 2014-03-30 03:26:57 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Sarah McKnobbo wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

Well if not the economy would be borked.

Either miners or mission runners would need to supply the minerals, niether seem overly popular lol
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#774 - 2014-03-30 03:30:09 UTC
Sarah McKnobbo wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Sarah McKnobbo wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

Either miners or mission runners would need to supply the minerals, niether seem overly popular lol

Once again, in theory, if they all disappeared the economy would be ****ed.

In practice, not all of them will ever quit over anything, even the so called persecution that Dinsdale sees everywhere he looks. If enough of them do quit to have an effect on mineral prices, then the miracle of capitalism kicks in, and more people are incentivized to do it, thereby balancing out the supply again.

Yay, economics.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#775 - 2014-03-30 03:34:48 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Sarah McKnobbo wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Sarah McKnobbo wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

Once again, in theory, if they all disappeared the economy would be ****ed.

In practice, not all of them will ever quit over anything, even the so called persecution that Dinsdale sees everywhere he looks. If enough of them do quit to have an effect on mineral prices, then the miracle of capitalism kicks in, and more people are incentivized to do it, thereby balancing out the supply again.

Yay, economics.

Agreed.

So why not make it interesting since a certain percentage of the player base will always be doing it.

Mr Epeen Cool
Kyperion
#776 - 2014-03-30 03:39:55 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Agreed.

So why not make it interesting since a certain percentage of the player base will always be doing it.

Mr Epeen Cool

This.

My argument doesn't have anything to do with the "rewards" of mission gameplay, but with the actual gameplay mechanics themselves.

Make them interesting, and you can skew the Rewards EVEN MORE in favor of PVP, because by default more people will play interesting PVE content... therefore more targets for the PVP crowd
Mario Putzo
#777 - 2014-03-30 03:51:15 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:

Has very limited impact on missions, or their functionality at all. Might hit a player for 9-10M/hr if that. The real issues are what will happen to the markets when the mineral supply falls behind demand.

Kyperion
#778 - 2014-03-30 03:54:11 UTC
Mario Putzo wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:

Has very limited impact on missions, or their functionality at all. Might hit a player for 9-10M/hr if that. The real issues are what will happen to the markets when the mineral supply falls behind demand.

Thats fine, but being as this is a not locked thread where the OP is about mission running, I want to continue to advocate for radical change to the gameplay mechanics of Missions... if not for an entirely alternative system of gaining income.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#779 - 2014-03-30 03:55:40 UTC
Mario Putzo wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. Since I do dabble in the building industry, I guess I should hit the dev blogs and see what's in the pipe.

Mr Epeen Cool
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#780 - 2014-03-30 04:02:36 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Mario Putzo wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. Since I do dabble in the building industry, I guess I should hit the dev blogs and see what's in the pipe.

Mr Epeen Cool

Mynna had an exceptional article about it on TMC. Full analysis and everything.

Best Meltdown Ever.