These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Tristan] [Fitting] I would like to fit Tristan for Security I and II

Author
Niere von Todesfee
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-03-29 16:53:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Niere von Todesfee
Hi,

I have started recently and with some research reached Myrmidon and Retriever as my main ships.

As I stumble upon standings and how they affect my mission running. This made me want to build my favorite ship as a fast mission runner.

This should serve as introduction and please be advised, that I have search some information on Tristan, but due to a change in the ship design I found the most post to be unreliable.

I started with the obvious:
2x HammerHead II, 3x HobGoblin II
Correction:
Ovv Topik wrote:
The Tris only has 25 Drone bandwidth so 5 Hobgob II's is the most it can handle.

Drone damage Amplifier I or II
Drone Link Augmentor II

I would like to see:
400mm armor or something providing armor values
Limited 1MN MicroWarpdrive I (15MW)

What I expect to see:
Damage Control I

I do not really see myself using 150mm Railguns anymore. Power seems to be the main limitation.
My knowledge for fittings is very limited to the obvious stuff. Financial limitations and skill requirements are less problematic to me, as Retriever does pull significant profit for a small frigate.

thank you all for tips and giggles :)
Baneken
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#2 - 2014-03-29 17:38:36 UTC
First of all frigates are only fit for lvl 1 missions and for lvl 2's with high skills (as in maxed out drone and support skills).
You better off with a cruiser for lvl 2's and switch to BC for lvl 3's and finally a battleship for lvl 4's.

And with most lvl 1 missions it's near irrelevant what fitting you happen to have and same for most lvl 2's as well.
I've actually done lvl 2's in an unfitted Vexor with only drones to kill things (because max skilled drones are so cool).
Mainly because I needed standings and couldn't bother to take a detour to trade hub and Vexor sounded better then itty V. P
Niere von Todesfee
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2014-03-29 17:48:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Niere von Todesfee
Baneken wrote:
First of all frigates are only fit for lvl 1 missions and for lvl 2's with high skills (as in maxed out drone and support skills).
You better off with a cruiser for lvl 2's and switch to BC for lvl 3's and finally a battleship for lvl 4's.

And with most lvl 1 missions it's near irrelevant what fitting you happen to have and same for most lvl 2's as well.
I've actually done lvl 2's in an unfitted Vexor with only drones to kill things (because max skilled drones are so cool).
Mainly because I needed standings and couldn't bother to take a detour to trade hub and Vexor sounded better then itty V. P

I understand, but it is not aimed at Sec II but Sec I and maybe II. Vexor was almost as slow as Myrmidon is and I lost in in a Blockade :) I am looking for something to grind Sec I missions very fast with managed risks (Thats why I want the Micro Warpdrive.)

The reason is that as a newbie I did all the Gallente missions and lowered my Standings with Caldari to almost -2.
For a reference I have Drones 5, Drone Interfacing 5 Scout drone 5, Combat drone 5, Drone Navigation 4, Drone sharpshooting 4
Ovv Topik
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2014-03-29 18:11:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Ovv Topik
Niere von Todesfee wrote:

I started with the obvious:
2x HammerHead II, 3x HobGoblin II
Drone damage Amplifier I or II
Drone Link Augmentor II

Even though it has 40 capacity, the Tris only has 25 Drone bandwidth so 5 Hobgob II's is the most it can handle.

So even though you could carry 2x HammerHead II, 3x HobGoblin II, you couldn't launch them together.

Your best bet would be to go for 5 Hobgob II's and 3 in reserve in the bay to replace losses.

Will be a fun little mission boat though.

"Nicknack, I'm in a shoe in space, on my computer, in my house, with a cup of coffee, in't that something." - Fly Safe PopPaddi. o7

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#5 - 2014-03-29 18:24:08 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Try this fit OP.

[Tristan, New Setup 1]
Small Armor Repairer I
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane I
Damage Control I

1MN Afterburner I
Cap Recharger I
Cap Recharger I

125mm Railgun I, Lead Charge S
[empty high slot]

Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Small Anti-Explosive Pump I
Small Hybrid Collision Accelerator I

Hobgoblin I x5

Notes:
- you have 1.5 minutes of capacitor with everything on (~85% cap stable with the armor repair off)
- everything fits with minimal skills
- for missions you want to mitigate and repair as much damage as possible (which means you favor resistances and repping power over raw hp)
- NPCs hate drones... so keep an eye on their hp bars
- an Algos is just better

Tactics:
- stay mobile at all times. Part of your tank is to keep moving so damage is mitigated slightly. This also means you must kill any webbers ASAP.
- don't run the armor repair unit all the time. If you find yourself taking too much damage, burn away.
Niere von Todesfee
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2014-03-29 18:55:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Niere von Todesfee
ShahFluffers wrote:
Try this fit OP.

[Tristan, New Setup 1]
Small Armor Repairer I
Damage Control I

1MN Afterburner I
Cap Recharger I
Cap Recharger I

[empty high slot]

Hobgoblin I x5

Notes:
- you have 1.5 minutes of capacitor with everything on (~85% cap stable with the armor repair off)
- for missions you want to mitigate and repair as much damage as possible (which means you favor resistances and repping power over raw hp)

Tactics:
- stay mobile at all times. Part of your tank is to keep moving so damage is mitigated slightly. This also means you must kill any webbers ASAP.
- don't run the armor repair unit all the time. If you find yourself taking too much damage, burn away.

This would be useful about month ago, but thank you for the effort.

EDIT: If you feel like I targeted you, read the OP next time.

• Hobgoblin I is completely worse than rank II in all respects (Yes considering I stated that money is lowest priority, all respects)
  • I already mentioned that railguns are not used at all, in maybe 15 missions.
  • How could I not know how to run Tristan, if it is my favorite ship?
  • Everything fits with minimal skills, why is that relevant at all, if I already have myrmidon and basic drone skills behind me.
  • NPCs hate drones and it is the main reason I choose to run a drone based ship
  • an Algos is just better - It is nto that better to discard the fact that I chose a favorite ship.

This is just a worthless copy pasted wall of text.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#7 - 2014-03-29 19:10:14 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Well... I'm not sure what you are asking for then.

- You never use a plate on a PvE-fit unless you expect a PvP encounter (because, again, raw HP isn't useful against a steady stream of damage... you want to mitigate and repair damage... which a plate doesn't do)...

- MWDs aren't terribly useful in high-sec PvE (see: it's faster than what you need, cuts into your max capacitor level, and uses a lot more capacitor power) unless you want to use long ranged weapons (>10 kms)...

- you can't fit a [any] ship to do everything. Between 4 attributes (speed, tank, gank, utility/E-war) you can only choose 2.5 of them. If you want bigger caliber weapons either your tank or speed is going to have to suffer. I you want a bigger tank then either your weapons or speed must suffer.
--- NOTE: droneboats are "special" in that they possess relatively tighter/limited fitting options compared to other ships. The reason for this is that drones are incredibly versatile and allow the "mothership" a rather large degree of independence both in terms of where it goes and what it fits.
Niere von Todesfee
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2014-03-29 19:21:53 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
Well... I'm not sure what you are asking for then.

Tips for fittings that are not obvious to a new player. Small Armor repair is quite obivous

ShahFluffers wrote:

- You never use a plate on a PvE-fit unless you expect a PvP encounter (because, again, raw HP isn't useful against a steady stream of damage... you want to mitigate and repair damage... which a plate doesn't do)...

Ok, so are there any other tips on how to improve armor/lifespan in missions like blockade? Where just orbiting at high speed is not an option. I do want to remove warping out and in as it takes time.

ShahFluffers wrote:
you can't fit a [any] ship to do everything. Between 4 attributes (speed, tank, gank, utility/E-war) you can only choose 2.5 of them. If you want bigger caliber weapons either your tank or speed is going to have to suffer. I you want a bigger tank then either your weapons or speed must suffer.

Yes that is why I created this post, because I am a new player that has little knowledge how to sacrifice money and firing power to increase speed and drone potential.

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#9 - 2014-03-29 19:41:48 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
ShahFluffers wrote:

Ok, so are there any other tips on how to improve armor/lifespan in missions like blockade? Where just orbiting at high speed is not an option. I do want to remove warping out and in as it takes time.

The way I've dealt with the Blockade mission is by focusing on range, speed, and gank... in that order. Tank would be, at best, a secondary concern.
Understand that the Blockade mission (at any level) is one of the few where you will need a VERY stiff active tank to brawl at close range... which is not always possible with all ships (and especially with low skills). Ergo... it's better to stay above the fray and pick them off before they get too close (especially the webbing-frigates).

As a further note... this is something you'll encounter often in PVP (if you intend to go into it at some point). Being able to avoid fire and stay out of the thick of things can often give you better odds of survival than having the biggest, baddest tank available.

edit: I would also highly recommend you upgrade the Tristan to a destroyer... Algos or Catalyst... for this mission. They are beefier and can put out more damage at range than a Tristan ever could.
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#10 - 2014-03-29 20:15:51 UTC
Baneken wrote:

NOT true.

My Blarpy can do level 4 missions, so there goes your entire statement.

Okay, I agree, it's far from efficient, but it's doable.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#11 - 2014-03-29 20:19:18 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
ShahFluffers wrote:
Try this fit OP.

[Tristan, New Setup 1]
Small Armor Repairer I
Damage Control I

1MN Afterburner I
Cap Recharger I
Cap Recharger I

[empty high slot]

Hobgoblin I x5

Notes:

Tactics:

This would be useful about month ago, but thank you for the effort.

• Hobgoblin I is completely worse than rank II in all respects (Yes considering I stated that money is lowest priority, all respects)
  • I already mentioned that railguns are not used at all, in maybe 15 missions.
  • How could I not know how to run Tristan, if it is my favorite ship?
  • Everything fits with minimal skills, why is that relevant at all, if I already have myrmidon and basic drone skills behind me.
  • NPCs hate drones and it is the main reason I choose to run a drone based ship
  • an Algos is just better - It is nto that better to discard the fact that I chose a favorite ship.

This is just a worthless copy pasted wall of text.

Wait...

So, you come to ask for a good Tristan fit on the forum.

Shah provides you with a great fit (which can be upgraded to T2 stuff).

You rage at the hand that feeds you.

Conclusion: Do never post again if you don't want to hear other people's suggestions. Go ahead, make your own Tristan as you OBVIOUSLY don't want any advice anyway.

EDIT:

Also...a plate on a PvE fit...ROFL, you definately need to LEARN how to fit ships properly, just cause you have the skills to fly a Myrm doesn't mean you KNOW how to fit ships (as you just proven by your posts).

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#12 - 2014-03-29 23:32:28 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers

I didn't feel targeted. I was just trying to explain (albeit terribly) how to fit the Tristan to run a level 1 or 2 mission (as your OP requested).

As for your points...

- This is the newbie section. I give plain-jane Tech 1 fits as a "base guideline" for all newbies here. However, if you (or other newbies) can fit Meta or Tech 2 stuff... do it. I'm certainly not telling you not to. Use your best judgement.

- Sorry... Blasters are terrible for PvE. They have limited range which requires you get way closer than you should in PvE and very few active tank setups can survive close proximity to the amount of DPS found in the Blockade mission. So you're stuck with Railguns.

- Just because you have flown a ship and like it a lot it does not always mean you truly know how to use it to its max potential. There may be tricks that you are unaware of. However I am not a mind reader and so, for the benefit of all, I post as much information as possible. If you pick up a bit of new information from it... good. if not... well... you're no worse off.

- As for wanting to use a "favorite ship" and nothing else... I'll give you kudos for that. But you should always be aware that certain ships will be, at best, nowhere near "optimal"/"efficient" at performing some tasks... and, at worst, you may not be able to perform certain tasks at all. Not every ship is suited for every job no matter how well you fit it or how good your skills are.

- You are here asking us for help. If we tell you that something will not be "good" then there are probably GOOD reasons for why we are saying it. Getting on your high-horse isn't going to earn you any points here and will most probably give some of the people here (I won't say who Twisted) a sufficiently good reason to "pay you a visit" in-game.
Jared Lennox
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2014-03-30 13:58:02 UTC
I didn't like your attitude OP.. These people are trying to help you and for some reason you are raging at the people who are taking their time to actually visit New Citizens Q&A and have the patience to read through your arrogant posts.

http://www.minerbumping.com/p/the-code.html

Niere von Todesfee
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2014-03-30 18:16:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Niere von Todesfee
GLHF guys. I spent some time researching and talking to JPoll.

So far I am a bit dissapointed by the results, but still effort was genuine.
Niere von Todesfee
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2014-03-30 18:36:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Niere von Todesfee
J'Poll wrote:

Wait...

So, you come to ask for a good Tristan fit on the forum.

Shah provides you with a great fit (which can be upgraded to T2 stuff)..

Then you obviously did not understand my question. I did not come for a good fit for Tristan I came for advice how to make a specific fit for Tristan.

Maybe there is the problem and I need to focus my energy on explaining the question better, instead of replying to irrelevant answers.

I am building tristan to fight at 30km and further orbiting very fast using the micro warpdrive. Thats the strategy. Drones and their skills are way further than Sec I missions and deal with most missions.

Blockade will be done by a different ship then.

Railguns and blasters feel completely useless and I have not found anything to do with High slots.
I am looking for some use out of capacitor upgrades, but my overall knowledge is so limited I have not yet found anything.
Dalloway Jones
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2014-03-31 00:10:35 UTC
Drone Link Augmentor - a high slot module, increases your drone control range by 20 kilometers.