These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Mineral compression?

Author
Galphii
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2014-03-26 23:39:17 UTC
With revisions to the reprocessing system on the way, CCP are taking steps to make ore compression via Rorqual and POS facilities useful and practical. I'm curious if in addition to ore, minerals should be compressible too, for easier transportation. The amount of this compression is debatable, but I can't see much of a downside to the concept. Can anyone suggest why mineral compression would be a bad thing?

"Wow, that internet argument completely changed my fundamental belief system," said no one, ever.

Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#2 - 2014-03-26 23:46:16 UTC
With the new compression POS module, compressing minerals would just be an extra unnecessary step unless it was better than ore compression by a bit
Sigras
Conglomo
#3 - 2014-03-27 01:47:05 UTC
ore compression IS mineral compression...

The only thing that adding mineral compression would do is make it easier for the already space rich out in 0.0 to get more space rich by adding more titans to their already massive collection.

If it were up to me, there would be no compression period. That said, their current idea with ore compression is acceptable because it creates a market for something that isnt worth much currently (unrefined ore)
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#4 - 2014-03-27 02:39:43 UTC
Sigras wrote:
ore compression IS mineral compression...

The only thing that adding mineral compression would do is make it easier for the already space rich out in 0.0 to get more space rich by adding more titans to their already massive collection.

If it were up to me, there would be no compression period. That said, their current idea with ore compression is acceptable because it creates a market for something that isnt worth much currently (unrefined ore)

Or, y'know, for those of us who live in null to actually build ANYTHING...
Sigras
Conglomo
#5 - 2014-03-27 05:59:36 UTC
its true, disallowing compression entirely would kinda throw the baby out with the bath water, but do you have an alternative suggestion to prevent the huge power blocs from becoming even more powerful and consolidating their power with mass titan proliferation?

Did you know that with the proposal in the dev blog that you can still build a titan with two freighter loads of compressed low ends/refined high ends?

A titan's entire mineral amount can be compressed down to 1.8 million m^3 maybe actually a little less if you spring for the +5% or +10% compressed ores.

While that's a heck of a lot better than it used to be, its still ridiculously easy to compress minerals in high sec and bridge them into 0.0 with a titan + a fleet of freighters, none of which are ever in any danger because no bubbles in low sec.

so until the supercapital proliferation problem is fixed, I say no, no mineral compression of any kind.
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#6 - 2014-03-27 06:12:00 UTC
Sigras wrote:
so until the supercapital proliferation problem is fixed, I say no, no mineral compression of any kind.

Unlikely to ever be fixed anytime soon. And I'd rather not wait around for them to decide how to deal with them while i can't make anything from home or ship my goods and sell them.
Sigras
Conglomo
#7 - 2014-03-27 10:59:14 UTC
I would much rather have a slightly more difficult time manufacturing things in 0.0 (which nobody does anyway) for a fix to easy super capital construction.

My fix would be to make compressed ore take up the same amount of space as the minerals they refine into, and remove the ability for freighters to use a titan bridge.

In exchange, fully grown low end asteroids in 0.0 would compact into a 10x denser version of themselves essentially allowing you to mine low end minerals at a 10:1 speed but only in regular belts and only after the roids are fully grown.
Xe'Cara'eos
A Big Enough Lever
#8 - 2014-03-27 13:01:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Xe'Cara'eos
easier way to fix the problem - make freighters unable to use jump bridges, you want a freighter that jumps - get a JF

For posting an idea into F&I: come up with idea, try and think how people could abuse this, try to fix your idea - loop the process until you can't see how it could be abused, then post to the forums to let us figure out how to abuse it..... If your idea can be abused, it [u]WILL[/u] be.

Mike Voidstar
Voidstar Free Flight Foundation
#9 - 2014-03-27 14:32:58 UTC
I think they should make compressed ores unrefineable with a single block being huge, and instead you have to take them out into open space, jettison them, and mine the resulting space obelisk.
HandelsPharmi
Pharmi on CharBazaar
#10 - 2014-03-27 14:34:11 UTC
Sigras wrote:
...and remove the ability for freighters to use a titan bridge.

Have you ever played in 0.0 ? How did you get your Infrastructure Hub or its level 4/5 upgrades or Outpost Upgrades?

Xe'Cara'eos
A Big Enough Lever
#11 - 2014-03-27 14:35:39 UTC
Mike Voidstar wrote:
I think they should make compressed ores unrefineable with a single block being huge, and instead you have to take them out into open space, jettison them, and mine the resulting space obelisk.

now THAT would be epic - and it would be enduring and you could jettison within 10km of a station - so you could just sit outside a station and mine it :D

For posting an idea into F&I: come up with idea, try and think how people could abuse this, try to fix your idea - loop the process until you can't see how it could be abused, then post to the forums to let us figure out how to abuse it..... If your idea can be abused, it [u]WILL[/u] be.

Sigras
Conglomo
#12 - 2014-03-27 17:37:40 UTC
HandelsPharmi wrote:
Sigras wrote:
...and remove the ability for freighters to use a titan bridge.

Have you ever played in 0.0 ? How did you get your Infrastructure Hub or its level 4/5 upgrades or Outpost Upgrades?

You do it like a man and run a protection fleet in with your freighter slow boating it the whole way. You know, like all the small alliances without a titan have done for a long time.
sci0gon
Kaira Innovations
#13 - 2014-03-27 19:27:00 UTC
Sigras wrote:
You do it like a man and run a protection fleet in with your freighter slow boating it the whole way. You know, like all the small alliances without a titan have done for a long time.

Small alliances were not the only ones who did this sigras a lot of the older alliances also hauled minerals around like this before jump freighters were in the game, if they do that today I have no idea. I just know that today it'd be more of a pain than it was back then due to the warp speed changes
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#14 - 2014-03-27 19:30:00 UTC
Sigras wrote:

There's trying to fix a problem and then theres killing all the fun. Freighter ops are no fun. They used to do them back before tians and jump freighters. Nobody liked it and it was extremely tedious. And small allinces without a titan still have reasonable access to jump freighters. Or do it the old fshioned way, throw up a POS and start building your junk.
Sigras
Conglomo
#15 - 2014-03-27 23:17:45 UTC
he was specifically asking about stuff thats too big to put into a JF

But seriously, if you want to construct 10 titans at once, you shouldnt be able to teleport in the minerals with 20 freighters and 1 titan; thats ridiculous! Building a titan shouldnt be something I can do with my main and 3 alts