These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Do I need to Research Everything ???

Author
Ravenarr
Malleus Astorum
#1 - 2014-03-25 07:59:24 UTC
I was a happy bunny recently, I had discovered and skilled for research, was so happy i was going to research every BPO in the game and feel cool.
Then i skilled for and discovered Invention, my addiction is now broken and confused, only rarely are decrypters used to "Pass on" ME/PE stats so blindly researching every T1 BPO looks silly.
Other than ships i don't see any need for any T1 research, as a new Indy char im just stumbling along finding stuff out bit by bit.
Am I on the right lines here or totally wrong.
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2014-03-25 10:10:37 UTC
Depends what you're doing.

If you're intending to make and sell t1 stuff, then researching the BPs (or buying researched BPs) is pretty important. If you're only planning to invent and sell the T2 stuff and never bother making the T1 (buy from market as needed to make the T2), then the BPs need no research as the research on the T1 has no effect at all on the invented T2 BPC.
Ravenarr
Malleus Astorum
#3 - 2014-03-25 10:43:06 UTC
As someone who is new to Industry I assumed that every T1 BPO would need research. Trying T2 for the first time I notice that the T1 product is not always needed nor is the ME/PE transferred to the T2 BPC. Making researched BPO's isn't always necessary which i was surprised to discover. I think this is the case for ammo as I think modules and ships need the T1 version as part of the materials for T2 production. It seems I was a bit gung ho in BPO research now it seems unnecessary. I can afford to be selective with research from now. Invention is a bit of a head scratcher.
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2014-03-25 11:11:14 UTC
Ravenarr wrote:
As someone who is new to Industry I assumed that every T1 BPO would need research.

Which is true enough in most cases *if* you are building the T1 item.
Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#5 - 2014-03-25 11:52:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Lors Dornick
Elena Thiesant wrote:
Ravenarr wrote:
As someone who is new to Industry I assumed that every T1 BPO would need research.

Which is true enough in most cases *if* you are building the T1 item.

This indeed.
I often keep at least one BPO researched to decent levels, so I can build the T1 stuff I need.

Then I might add extra BPO to speed up copying/invention and those I don't research at all.

But I admit that it can get a bit hairy know and then, keeping the 'production' BPO's separate from the 'copy/invention' ones.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Shoogie
Serious Pixels
#6 - 2014-03-25 14:28:36 UTC
Most T2 items (the notable exception being T2 ammunition) require the T1 item as part of manufacturing. So you need at least one well researched BPO to manufacture from while the rest are being copied and invented.
Twulf
Thunder Clap Industry
Militaires-Sans-Frontieres.
#7 - 2014-03-25 17:09:02 UTC
Sorry, I started a second account to do mining and indy and I just do not understand the whole Research/Invention stuff.

As of right now. I can buy a blueprint and make stuff (Missiles and shuttles right now for personal use).
I am not sure why I would research or invent anything as I can just buy the blueprint and build the item.

I know I am missing something but I just do not know what I am missing, any help would be great.
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2014-03-25 17:19:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Elena Thiesant
Research - to decrease the minerals required or time required. Don't research and you're probably paying more to build it yourself than you would to buy it off the market

Invention - how one creates BPCs to make T2 items.
Twulf
Thunder Clap Industry
Militaires-Sans-Frontieres.
#9 - 2014-03-25 17:39:03 UTC
Elena Thiesant wrote:
Research - to decrease the minerals required or time required. Don't research and you're probably paying more to build it yourself than you would to buy it off the market

Invention - how one creates BPCs to make T2 items.

Thank you, It will save me time and minerals if I research the blueprints I have bought. That helps alot.
Ginger Barbarella
#10 - 2014-03-25 21:15:24 UTC
If your intent is solely to invent, you don't need to research at all. A number of my BPOs I use for invention are still at 0/0. If I will be doing any building for manufacturing, those blueprints I do ME research on just far enough to eliminate waste as much as possible on my builders. I never do PE research on them at all.

Depends entirely on what you will be doing.

"Blow it all on Quafe and strippers." --- Sorlac

Gilbaron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2014-03-26 00:15:52 UTC
there is a misunderstanding on your side

it is completely irrelevant which ME/PE values the BPC you use for invention has, they are not "passed on". the only way to manipulate the ME/PE values of your T2 BPC is with the use of a decryptor.
Allison A'vani
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2014-03-26 22:48:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Allison A'vani
Also, almost all POS BPOs and POS Mod BPOs (with only very few exceptions, silos are the only one that comes to mind due to the trit requirement), get no benefit from ME due how few of each component is actually used, and the PE is negligible (for Large Caldari POSs PE 10 is only a few hours less than PE 0). Also, unless you use a decryptor, all T2 BPCs are going to be -4/-4.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#13 - 2014-03-27 00:16:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Allison A'vani wrote:
Also, almost all POS BPOs and POS Mod BPOs (with only very few exceptions, silos are the only one that comes to mind due to the trit requirement), get no benefit from ME due how few of each component is actually used, and the PE is negligible (for Large Caldari POSs PE 10 is only a few hours less than PE 0). Also, unless you use a decryptor, all T2 BPCs are going to be -4/-4.

Most structure BPO don't benefit from ML research, as all the materials are listed as extra. This is a result of the reprocessing frenzy that occurred when CCP screwed-up the release of PI by not removing NPC sold products (See the CCP Chronotis post #249) - remaining materials were converted into unusable items.

Small rigs have a base waste of 10% and often a material count under 6, so most of them don't have any waste at ML 0.
Oxide Ammar
#14 - 2014-03-27 08:23:01 UTC
To sum it up:

1- If you are going for invention and T2 market, don't bother yourself with researching and you can start invention process with 0 ML/ 0 PL since they don't affect the invented BPC ML/ PL.

2- If you are planning to sell T1 BPC copies for manufacturing, selling these researched T1 BPOs via public contracts, using these researched BPOs for private manufacturing you need to use one of these sites linked below to give you required information about the BPO you are researching and its perfect ML and reasonable PL you can choose.

http://www.eve-cost.eu/research
http://zofu.no-ip.de/bpo

Max up your skills ( Science 5, Research 5, Metallurgy 5) and use below listed implants or lesser depending on Cybernetics skill level and the ISK you can spend .

Slot 6: Zainou 'Beancounter' Research RR-605 ---> affects your PL research time.
Slot 7: Zainou 'Beancounter' Metallurgy MY-705 ---> affects your ME research time.
Slot 8: Zainou 'Beancounter' Science SC-805 ----> affects your copying time

Lady Areola Fappington:  Solo PVP isn't dead!  You just need to make sure you have your booster, remote rep, cyno, and emergency Falcon alts logged in and ready before you do any solo PVPing.