These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

*The Navy Drake Dilemma*

Author
Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#1 - 2014-03-22 13:23:05 UTC
The Drake
Talking about the regular Drake, there are to my knowledge three fits coming up, the HAM-Drake, the Podla-Drake and the recharge-pve-drake. With the Drake's resistance-bonus, the relatvely high and decent damageoutput against cruiser and up (T2 Gallente strongly excluded, T2 Caldari to an extent) the Drake still is one of the good BCs in my opinion.
Wether you agree or not, it can be left that a Drake applying 750dps+ with rage and warriors for ham is great, the podlaversion still is pretty nice if you're working in a small gang and the pve-drake still is a temporary pve-vessel for near anyone currently bringing pve-skills up I heard.

The Navy Drake
On the other hand: The Navy Drake as of now is pretty much without purpose for a variety of reasons.
First, you pay a premium and you'll lose dps and - even though you're going from civil to navy, not gaining any significant tank. The application is pretty nice, but without damage to back that up it fails to overcome competition. The enhanced mobility over the drake is barely noticable, both are pretty sluggish. The slotlayout with those 8 launchers might even be considered a bottleneck, cause it binds vast ressources (PG/CPU) into your highs so you'll run into PG-issues fitting HAMs, or CPU-issues going for heavies. A rack of 8 guns also melts insanely quickly when OH'ing highs altogether, which is all but ideal <.<
The one redeeming quality is selectable damagetype. And as for projection, with limitations by ham-range and the aenemic heavy-dps this is simply not getting you anywhere.

The Competition
I'd like to think of the navy drake as belonging in between drake/cyclone (for classy brawler) and claymore/nighthawk (for really kickass brawler) regarding it's proficiency at doing its job. So while the BCs are fairly decent at their Job and the CS being extraordinary brawlers, the navy Drake should be *pretty pretty good* at its task. The task was described as *focusing on skirmishes and mid-longrange damage application*.
It also turns out that if a Drake isn't kitey enough, a navy osprey/navy skythe doesn't offer enough punch, a Claymore/Nighthawk is to expensive/skill-intensive - then you don't fly a navy drake. You get a Cerberus.
The Cerberus does ANYTHING the drake navy wants to do, but better. Resists, sigradius (+mwd-hac-bonus) and capacitor being the most important superior defensive qualities, raw-dps, range, velocity and warpspeed are of such utmost importance in a skirmish-role there is simply no incentive left to deal with a navy drake.

Amongst the things the navy drake lacks strongest in a skirmish role is the lack of utility high(s). The HAM-Drake can vaporize frigs and brawling ceptors (crusader, claw, armor-ranis) with just a small neut and such high dps that even navy hams apply enough after accuracy penalties. The navy drake though can't do that without sacrificing even more dps to a tiny (but sufficient) bit of cap warfare. Even though you could also employ a sentinel or curse to get a bit of neuting that way, the navy drake being the frontline screener shouldn't stand behind to its non-kitey competition in that regard.

Biased Navy
For minmatar, hurricane to fleetcane is a good upgrade. 30ish% additional buffer, second utility high is awesome. Fleetcanes are awesome and expensive enough to be rare, unlike the Sleipnir can armortank very well.
For Gallente, the navy brutix is a good gang-variation of the solo-oriented brutix. Together with med. rails, you really got something. In case of blasters, all of the tracking even. Beasty tank as the fleet cane has, rare for its costs and with three rigslots and a tracking bonus still different from an Astarte.
For Amarr, the navy harb has pretty much an additional mid and a tracking bonus, aswell as extra-hp compared to the civil one. It does the same a harbinger does, but better - and the high base-hp, the tracking bonus and the fifth mid allow you to realize some really wonky fits.

condensed
Caldari though got the Drake being a decent ship, and then a navy drake having the upside of higher base-hp without resists, an application-bonus without dps, selectable damagetype instead of dps... Ya, three things are different, and the rest is worse then a normal drake:
- no utility, is a pretty worthless screener if a raven actually goes just as fast, but has a heavy neut - same pricetag
- PG/CPU issues on a ship with a pretty fixed amount of ressources used due to eight launchers
- outperformed in it's role by a cerberus, THIS hard
- Podla'ing and you can barely OH your highs to burst something into the ground, 1min of heat with thermo V is followed by 5mins of repairing.

It's a navy ship. It should be significantly better at a chosen role than it's t1-counterpart at its own task. For the navy drake, that task should be anything related to screening and skirmishing, concrete as example appropriate mass, damage-output, a rack of highslots allowing it to excel at skirmishing (ideally med neut) and PG/CPU to back up atleast a conventional fit without the need to use genos, slot-6-imps or even rigs.

Feel free to discuss, but that's my opinion on the *Navy Drake Dilemma*
TehCloud
Guardians of the Dodixie
#2 - 2014-03-22 14:01:17 UTC
Not gaining significant tank? Not gaining dps?
Maybe you should stop trying to fly your Navy Drake like a normal one. Because it isn't a normal one.

The Navy Drake has more Raw HP but lacks the 4% Resist Bonus.
It's bonus to Explosion Velocity allows it to apply DPS better to faster and smaller targets.

Those ships are not meant to be flown the same way. If there is an issue with the Navy Drakes performance, I'm pretty sure it's related to your piloting.

Regards
TehCloud

My Condor costs less than that module!

Liam Inkuras
Furnace
#3 - 2014-03-22 14:17:44 UTC
The Navy Drake was designed to be a reincarnation of the old PODLA Drake, due mostly to the HML nerf. Navy Drakes can fulfill this role well to an extent, but even if it was the perfect old PODLA Drake, it would be underwhelming in today's meta, which revolves around very fast nanoing ships with good projection and large engagement envelopes. The navy Drake only fills one of those requirements: projection. For less isk, you can buy an Ishtar, which fits cleanly into the meta and outperforms the Navy Drake in nearly every way.

I wear my goggles at night.

Any spelling/grammatical errors come complimentary with my typing on a phone

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#4 - 2014-03-22 18:32:51 UTC
The OP is right, however. The Navy Drake is not very good - even without the heavy missile nerf (but especially with it). Unlike cruise missiles and torpedoes, heavy missiles don't really need damage application - they need raw damage. Instead of a 25% explosion radius bonus a 25% rate of fire bonus would be more beneficial.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Tribe O' Brute
Lightning Strikes Thrice
#5 - 2014-03-22 19:07:30 UTC
Problem with the Navy Drake is that CCP downgraded the regular Drake when they rebalanced the battle cruisers because the regular Drake was too powerful. And with the introduction of the Navy Drake they didn't want to offset that balance again to the old situation.

My 2c...
Sigras
Conglomo
#6 - 2014-03-22 19:55:45 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
The OP is right, however. The Navy Drake is not very good - even without the heavy missile nerf (but especially with it). Unlike cruise missiles and torpedoes, heavy missiles don't really need damage application - they need raw damage. Instead of a 25% explosion radius bonus a 25% rate of fire bonus would be more beneficial.

Heavy's dont need the damage application HAMs do.

HAM damage against a cruiser, even with a TP is just sad. The HAM Navy Drake out damages the HAM Regular Drake when shooting at cruiser sized ships. In fact even with a TP the regular drake doesnt reach the damage output of the navy drake, and the navy drake does so at longer ranges!
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#7 - 2014-03-22 20:04:23 UTC
Sigras wrote:
Heavy's dont need the damage application HAMs do.

HAM damage against a cruiser, even with a TP is just sad. The HAM Navy Drake out damages the HAM Regular Drake when shooting at cruiser sized ships. In fact even with a TP the regular drake doesnt reach the damage output of the navy drake, and the navy drake does so at longer ranges!

Rigors work wonders.

Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#8 - 2014-03-22 20:41:02 UTC
Rigors take up slots for tank or speed.

Fwiw you could put rlml on the navy drake and see what happens
Crazy KSK
Tsunami Cartel
#9 - 2014-03-22 23:29:20 UTC
the navy drake when shooting cruisers does indeed out dps the drake every time given the same fit however the same is true in reverse when shooting battle cruisers on top of that, given the fact that the navy drake has 8 launchers, its fitting is actually worse then the drake
the navy drake is not able to be fit the same effectively makeing its ehp slightly less then that of the drake (mwd dual meta 4 mse does not work on the navy drake with either HM or HAM) if one wants to not leave a med slots empty

when navy battle cruiser revisit comes around I could see a buff done this way
the navy drake fitting buffed to 1000 base PG and 600 base CPU giving it the same edge in fitting space other navy BC have over their t1 counterpart this would allow it to fit a full t2 cookie cutter buffer tank with HM or HAM

[Drake Navy Issue, New Setup 1 copy 1]
Damage Control II (meta 4 for HM fit)
Ballistic Control System II

Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Warp Disruptor II

Heavy (Assault) Missile Launcher II x8

Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

changing the missile exp radius bonus on the navy drake for a 5% damage bonus would give it 10 effective launchers reducing the dps against cruisers and smaller slightly but giving it more dps then the drake with 9 effective launchers
this however would make it more powerful then the normal drake was pre HM, drake and resist bonus nerf
70km vs 75old, 500dps vs 462old(with HM), same 102k ehp(average resist like eft does it ) and faster though lower resists so less effective RR
even if it was a kin only damage bonus it would be very likely too powerful

the speed difference while indeed not very significant is the only instance where a navy bc is faster then its t1 counterpart so I don't think it needs buffing

Quote CCP Fozzie: ... The days of balance and forget are over.

Claud Tiberius
#10 - 2014-03-23 01:11:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Claud Tiberius
The regular Drake outputs more dps (about 12% more with HML vs HML fits), then the navy Drake.

However the Navy Drake can shoot much further (+20km with the HML and +15km with HAM), then the regular Drake, and is better at killing moving targets.

The Navy Drake has +1 more medium slots, then the regular drake, (in effect closing the EHP gap for good).
Navy Drake has more then 3000 shield hp then the regular Drake.
Navy Drake has more grav points.
Navy Drake has more CPU/power (for the EHP mostly).

Considering all of their traits and possible fits, the Navy Drake is always going to be the better option. The Range and EHP bonuses in the NavDrake shouldn't be ignored.

To put things into perspective, the Navy Caracal isn't that much better then the regular Caracal. Maybe this is how its meant to be - Navy versions are only slightly improved versions.

Once upon a time the Golem had a Raven hull and it looked good. Then it transformed into a plataduck. The end.

Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#11 - 2014-03-23 01:23:26 UTC
in tye sense of caldari navy vessels they just aren't worth flying at all. RNI for pve content and hookbill for pvp if you wish.

RNI is quickly superceded by the golem. hookbill is only an option not a best case like hawk any meta 1 merlin fit.

Navy caracal and drake aren't worth a crap. They need to be put back in the cooker for a while. What they come out like who knows but at least make them worth the cost. I personally would give all caldari navy ships the 10/5/5/5 damage bonus treatment and then seperate across hulls by either damage application or kiting ability.
Crazy KSK
Tsunami Cartel
#12 - 2014-03-23 05:48:11 UTC
Claud Tiberius wrote:
The regular Drake outputs more dps (about 12% more with HML vs HML fits), then the navy Drake.

However the Navy Drake can shoot much further (+20km with the HML and +15km with HAM), then the regular Drake, and is better at killing moving targets.

The Navy Drake has +1 more medium slots, then the regular drake, (in effect closing the EHP gap for good).
Navy Drake has more then 3000 shield hp then the regular Drake.
Navy Drake has more grav points.
Navy Drake has more CPU/power (for the EHP mostly).

Considering all of their traits and possible fits, the Navy Drake is always going to be the better option. The Range and EHP bonuses in the NavDrake shouldn't be ignored.

To put things into perspective, the Navy Caracal isn't that much better then the regular Caracal. Maybe this is how its meant to be - Navy versions are only slightly improved versions.

some corrections

its better at killing smaller targets, explosion radius bonus not velocity

it has one more high slot then the normal drake

the extra cpu/power grid is entirely eaten up by the fact that it uses 8 missile launchers in fact it can not copy a fit from the drake because its launchers eat all the extra power grid and then some

the normal drake is the better option if you want to have the most dps against battle cruiser or larger targets and/or want tank
the amount of hp it has more then the drake are not sufficient to plug the hole that is left by the inability to fit the same amount of tanking mods namely shield extenders due to the power grid used by the 8 launchers

the improvement from caracal to navy caracal is indeed mostly minor (more then 10k more ehp id call major though) but unlike the navy drake the navy caracal does not lack behind the normal caracal in any way

Quote CCP Fozzie: ... The days of balance and forget are over.

Anabella Rella
Gradient
Electus Matari
#13 - 2014-03-23 07:34:14 UTC
Tribe O' Brute wrote:
Problem with the Navy Drake is that CCP downgraded the regular Drake when they rebalanced the battle cruisers because the regular Drake was too powerful. And with the introduction of the Navy Drake they didn't want to offset that balance again to the old situation.

My 2c...

If this was the case then why did CCP troll us with the Fleet Hurricane? It's just the old supposedly OP Cane with ugly camo skin at 2.5x the cost of the (neutered) standard version. Is the much higher cost supposed to offer balance? Didn't CCP claim they learned their lesson about balance via cost after supercaps proliferated?

When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around.

Catherine Laartii
Doomheim
#14 - 2014-03-23 09:09:23 UTC
The issue they ran into a wall with was balancing the HP buff of about 50% overall with local tank bonuses; resists would set the hp up way too high unless they just wanted to focus on tank, and dps was problematic due to the proliferation of comparably priced t2 ships. Navy cane should have gotten same as navy harb; 10% damage and tracking bonus, and navy drake should have been the same bonuses as navy caracal; firing rate and exp radius reduction. Or, it may be ideal to go with explosion velocity over sig radius reduction, as the latter can balloon up with mwd or TP, so it's less of an issue in pve as it is in pvp when fighting and seeking reliable bonuses.

All in all, I'd say going with the same highslot setup and 10% kin damage mult plus range, but an extra midslot would be ideal for the navy drake and raven respectively. I would be extremely interested to see what kind of dps a kin-damaged navy raven could do...
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#15 - 2014-03-23 15:34:17 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
Rigors take up slots for tank or speed.
Fwiw you could put rlml on the navy drake and see what happens

Yes, there's always a tradeoff. I have - it's a "neat" experiment, but with zero bonuses to light missiles there's absolutely no point.

Crazy KSK wrote:
changing the missile exp radius bonus on the navy drake for a 5% damage bonus would give it 10 effective launchers reducing the dps against cruisers and smaller slightly but giving it more dps then the drake with 9 effective launchers
this however would make it more powerful then the normal drake was pre HM, drake and resist bonus nerf

Give the standard Drake a 25% rate of fire bonus instead (along the lines of the Raven) - problem solved (The Navy Drake can be left with the explosion radius bonus). Also extend the ROF bonus on the Drake to RLMLs and the missile velocity bonus on the Navy Drake to RLMLs.

Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#16 - 2014-03-23 23:03:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Lloyd Roses
Complaints is less about numbers and more about progression - roughly.

When you sit in a Drake, then it does these things well and those things are bad for it - example: Deimos.

So you buy a navy Drake and expect it to be roughly like a Drake and realize it has the same weaknesses, you don't get to enjoy it's strengths (application/range) mostly cause you're both moving and warping to slow. So you buy one for *pvp*:
Then you open the fitting window and try fitting it, but no matter what you do, any decent fit lacks the powergrid or cpu. So you shove in a fitting mod for any reasonable fit.

Then you undock, and it's really not that much different from a Drake - but it doesn't have the neut anymore, just 8 launchers inflicting less damage. You fly out and webscram (hams) or dualweb (heavies) the ship currently shot at, thoughts are along the lines of *well, normal drake would now apply perfect damage aswell*. Anyhow, there has never been a reason to fly a Drake/Navy Drake over a Caracal/Cerberus outside of web-range in the first place, so it really feels borked.

The rangebonus on that Navy Drake is a bit off, simply cause you'll be within range with this ship anyways. You will not fly it in fleets because it is plain inferior to the Cerberus in that environment, but you will fly it in situations where you got a small - most likely pots'n'pans-style'ed - gang that wants to look engageable.

(Given that a Navy Drake will always remain drakey due to weaponry, sigsize/mobility and rough buffer)
If you asked the potential user of a Navy Drake about his thoughts regarding an incentive to buy that ship over a drake, he would answer like this:

... would buy if it were a lot gankier, maybe more fragile, but gankier
... would buy if it was more mobile - more speed, smaller sig so to say an attack version of it with naga-like mobility
... would buy if it somehow had an outstanding specialty (such as the Navy brutix' seven lowslots, or the fleet cane's double utility)

Currently, the navy version is about 15% more agile/mobile, as tanky, better at killing frigs - while being bonus'ed for cruisersized missiles mmmkay - and you can select damagetype, all at the cost of factor seven in price, less dps against pretty much anything the loss of the resistance-bonus, arguably the strongest in game.
I never paid much attention to the Navy Drake, but looking at those qualities I'd surely assume someone is selling me a third combat battlecruiser I haven't noticed but surely not a navy ship.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#17 - 2014-03-24 05:06:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Truthfully, I'm not really a fan of either. Not when T3 or HACs run circles around these. They should really be hitting for around 100-200 more DPS with a bit more hull, armor and shields.

Malkaedofiz
Zero Fun Allowed
xqtywiznalamywmodxfhhopawzpqyjdwrpeptuaenabjawdzku
#18 - 2014-03-24 23:39:53 UTC
Sadly for you, the old nano drake is dead. However if you would like to fullfill the same role, you can fly a LML Heretic wich is one of the best ships in game atm (And not many people know this)
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#19 - 2014-03-24 23:57:27 UTC
100 more PG. Problem solved.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Enya Sparhawk
Black Tea and Talons
#20 - 2014-03-29 09:49:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Enya Sparhawk
You know, I've always wondered why they don't make navy issued ships better to fly (ie bonused) in any sort of fleet role...

(Imagine a navy issue drake with a role bonus similar to a 'target spectrum breaker' effect based on how many other navy ships you have in your fleet; obviously within limits...)

Fíorghrá: Grá na fírinne

Maireann croí éadrom i bhfad.

Bíonn súil le muir ach ní bhíonn súil le tír.

Is maith an scéalaí an aimsir.

When the lost ships of Greece finally return home...

12Next page