These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Question about sentry drone....

Author
Tacomaco
No Taxes just fun
#1 - 2014-03-24 08:55:56 UTC
Hi.

Do I need drone range to order a sentry drone to attack a target the same way scout drone do?

For example I have on my BC ~55km range from my scout drone. If a target is outside this 55km range can I order sentry drones to attack it?
Jessica Duranin
Doomheim
#2 - 2014-03-24 09:57:32 UTC
Yes, you need drone control range for sentry drones. (The range from your ship to the target matters, not where the drones are)
There are highslot modules that you can use to increase that range.
Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#3 - 2014-03-24 12:12:18 UTC
Jessica Duranin wrote:
The range from your ship to the target matters, not where the drones are

That is not entirely true, although it holds for most situations. Drone control range is not only important for the distance between your ship and the target but also the distance between your sentries and your ship. Might sound like nit picking (and it kinda is) but there are some funky strategies one can use with sentries involving your ship not actually being where your sentries are deployed.
Tacomaco
No Taxes just fun
#4 - 2014-03-24 12:23:01 UTC
ok, more simple.

I got 50km control range for drones, sentry drone is next to my ship. Can I order them to attack a target 70km away?

Or do I need control range for 70km?
Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#5 - 2014-03-24 12:32:29 UTC
Tacomaco wrote:
ok, more simple.

I got 50km control range for drones, sentry drone is next to my ship. Can I order them to attack a target 70km away?

Or do I need control range for 70km?

You will need 70km drone control range.
Tacomaco
No Taxes just fun
#6 - 2014-03-24 12:41:39 UTC
tanks
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#7 - 2014-03-24 19:20:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Drone control range: Distance from your ship to the target (max distance you can command drones to attack the target).
Drone optimal + 1/2 falloff: Effectively the max recommended distance from your drones to their target.

Example: You can be 200 km from your drones and command them to attack a ship that is within your drone control range.
Moonlit Raid
Doomheim
#8 - 2014-03-24 21:46:06 UTC
Imagine them exactly the same as any other drone. But they can shoot much further but only move at 1m/s.

If brute force isn't working, you're just not using enough.

Please Note: Any advice given comes with the caveat that nothing will be suitable for every situation.

Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#9 - 2014-03-24 22:08:58 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Drone control range: Distance from your ship to the target (max distance you can command drones to attack the target).
Drone optimal + 1/2 falloff: Effectively the max recommended distance from your drones to their target.

Example: You can be 200 km from your drones and command them to attack a ship that is within your drone control range.

This, although I'm willing to fire out to optimal + 1.3 falloffs (at least against ships that do not have significant active tanks).

You will find that sentries have a terrible time tracking frigates that are not using microwarpdrives.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#10 - 2014-03-25 06:58:27 UTC
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:

This, although I'm willing to fire out to optimal + 1.3 falloffs (at least against ships that do not have significant active tanks).

You will find that sentries have a terrible time tracking frigates that are not using microwarpdrives.

1.3 falloff is roughly 22% damage.
1/2 falloff is roughly 80% damage.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#11 - 2014-03-25 07:23:15 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:

1.3 falloff is roughly 22% damage.
1/2 falloff is roughly 80% damage.

Yep. Worth shooting at ('in my head' maths had made me think it was ~15-20% damage), unless their active tank absorbs it all.

I'd act differently if I needed to dictate range for other reasons, but most drone boats can start firing at that distance as long as the other ship is closing on you.

In PVE, 22% damage is enough to kill cruisers and down (even actively tanked non-elite rats) in decent time still, especially when those rats are moving toward you. I've never used sentries in PVP because they don't work well when you are solo.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com