These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

New Eden is too damn small

Author
Gemma Wildfire
Urhi Inc
#1 - 2014-03-24 12:20:04 UTC
Before I played this game I read stories of vast empty systems, regions where you could jump 10's of systems without seeing anyone. This intrigued me and reminded me of the feeling I often got back in the day playing Elite when you really did feel all alone in a vast universe.

I've been playing for a few months now and found this not to be the case, except for a few days over xmas when I was able to make some iskies exploring and hacking but apart from that New Eden feels like Tokoyo. People everywhere, whether in high, low or null. WH's are not much better.

Anyway this noob would love to see huge expanses of space made available. Double or triple the size of New Eden as it stands now. To be able to feel adrift in a vast cosmos would be awesome.

Perhaps, when subs were lower, it previously felt like this? Does New Eden feel crowded now to the old players? Other than WH space have CCP ever expanded the galaxy?

Stop standing so close to me :/

ITTigerClawIK
Galactic Rangers
#2 - 2014-03-24 12:24:47 UTC
you have obviously never been into 0.0 space , there are ALOT of empty systems out there, high sec and low sec are usually well populated.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#3 - 2014-03-24 12:25:51 UTC
Like the guy above said.

Get out of highsec. Preferably, go find a wormhole. Have fun.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Noxisia Arkana
Deadspace Knights
#4 - 2014-03-24 12:35:52 UTC
There are highsec islands and out of the way HS areas that have between 1-10 people in them. You can easily be the only person in lowsec and nullsec. The game is plenty big if you want to find a quiet spot.

What you say it doesn't make sense.

If you'd like to see my reasoning, I refer you to the wookie defense:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwdba9C2G14
Jessica Duranin
Doomheim
#5 - 2014-03-24 12:40:51 UTC
There is a LOT of empty space.
Yesterday we rolled our static for 4 hours and the only person we found was some dude harvesting gas in his venture.
Bob hates us. Sad
Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2014-03-24 12:47:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Infinity Ziona
Gemma Wildfire wrote:
Before I played this game I read stories of vast empty systems, regions where you could jump 10's of systems without seeing anyone. This intrigued me and reminded me of the feeling I often got back in the day playing Elite when you really did feel all alone in a vast universe.

I've been playing for a few months now and found this not to be the case, except for a few days over xmas when I was able to make some iskies exploring and hacking but apart from that New Eden feels like Tokoyo. People everywhere, whether in high, low or null. WH's are not much better.

Anyway this noob would love to see huge expanses of space made available. Double or triple the size of New Eden as it stands now. To be able to feel adrift in a vast cosmos would be awesome.

Perhaps, when subs were lower, it previously felt like this? Does New Eden feel crowded now to the old players? Other than WH space have CCP ever expanded the galaxy?

Stop standing so close to me :/

Its actually vast. In fact if it was possible to put every player subscribed into one system, equally spaced, with the old duel mwd thing doing 50k mps they wouldn't find other players for years using subwarp speeds.

What removes that feeling of vastness are the limited areas of interaction, the pointlessness of going to them (whens the last time you flew to a moon to see what was there?), the speed of travel vs the size of space and the trivial speed of scanning.

EvE is a fine wine that for some reason is served in paper cups basically. It had / has the potential to be great, but its currently being used as a space versioned Quake or Call of Duty.

Our only hope is it caves when SC comes out fully and someone buys it up realising its potential.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Herbinator d'Arcadie
Arkadian Knight
#7 - 2014-03-24 13:11:48 UTC
Gemma Wildfire wrote:
... Anyway this noob would love to see huge expanses of space made available. Double or triple the size of New Eden as it stands now. To be able to feel adrift in a vast cosmos would be awesome. ...

Eve is very, very small.

As in a land-rush, it has all been staked out, carved up and fortified. To gain access to said open spaces all one has to do is become a soldier in one alliance or another.

A blog called this Conehead play style.

I much prefer your thinking, referring to a broadly expansive, alluring Eve Universe.

"Block" pigs. Refuse to fly with them.

Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#8 - 2014-03-24 13:17:34 UTC
"Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded." - Yogi Berra
Grunanca
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2014-03-24 13:20:13 UTC
To answer OP:

High sec and low sec is extremely populated compared to back when I started. Remember living out of Rens and not having to go more than 2 jumps to be in empty high sec systems.

Low sec is actually less populated than I remember it... That is if you count the RMT armies living out of Ingunn for a few years. Lived next door to them and once manged to get no less than 200 hauler kills in an hour which ended in 45 mission ravens all called sdfgasifk, iasghfjh, asdfkuh etc. warping in to kill my lonely sleipnir. If you dont count them, you were lucky to find a ship or 2 piloted by real players. Then FW hit, and since, low sec has been very populated.

I got almost no experience with 0.0, but remember having a pos somewhere once. Managed to keep it alive alone, using a wreathe to fuel it 11 jumps into 0.0. (yeah, we have all been nubs once with too much time). Anyway, back then I only lost 2 loads of fuel in 3 months og running a pos. Now (in my limited experience) you can barely enter 0.0 without running into a camp.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2014-03-24 13:26:16 UTC
Lowsec on the southern side of the map tends to be somewhat empty most of the time.

The lowsec systems with people are generally factionwar systems, systems one jump from highsec, islands used as cyno systems by JFs or the systems with NPC stations. Everything else tends to be empty.

Azami Nevinyrall
#11 - 2014-03-24 13:30:45 UTC
0.5/10

Go to nullsec, its almost completely empty!

Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#12 - 2014-03-24 13:32:44 UTC
OP, there are plenty of sparsely populated areas. You're just not looking hard enough for them.

Infinity Ziona wrote:

What removes that feeling of vastness are the limited areas of interaction, the pointlessness of going to them (whens the last time you flew to a moon to see what was there?), the speed of travel vs the size of space and the trivial speed of scanning.

A few days ago?

Quote:
EvE is a fine wine that for some reason is served in paper cups basically. It had / has the potential to be great, but its currently being used as a space versioned Quake or Call of Duty.

Garden-variety, aimless bitervet whining. You live in AUS Tz of all places, its even less populated then.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

SKINE DMZ
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2014-03-24 13:38:34 UTC
Gemma Wildfire wrote:
People everywhere, whether in high, low or null. WH's are not much better.

I think you're lying, if you've been out of highsec you would of known that not be true.

I disagree

Dragon Outlaw
Rogue Fleet
#14 - 2014-03-24 13:44:11 UTC
Imagine if there was a way to fly our ships "in-between" solar systems !!! Cool
Shadowlightt
Doomheim
#15 - 2014-03-24 13:47:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Shadowlightt
Think of it this way

Caldari space is los angeles

Gallente space is chicago

Amarr space is london

Minmatar space is detroit

Null sec is the middle east

Low sec is somalia

Wormhoe space is hawaii
Bael Malefic
Doomheim
#16 - 2014-03-24 14:00:55 UTC
I recently took a little wormhole-roam deep into null on the eastern edge of the map. We could not find a single pilot to shoot at for 6 jumps in any direction from where we came out of the hole.

It was so empty and so dead we went back to the hole and went home.

Just look at the starmap. Most null systems are empty, most of the time.
Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2014-03-24 14:19:01 UTC
ITTigerClawIK wrote:
you have obviously never been into 0.0 space , there are ALOT of empty systems out there, high sec and low sec are usually well populated.

Yes this is what 0.0 usually is like.
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2014-03-24 14:21:40 UTC
Like Bael Malefic said, figure out how to look at population per system on the starmap. OP sounds like they came to a conclusion without really trying to play the game.

/蘭

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Talia Prime
Imperial Militia
#19 - 2014-03-24 14:23:07 UTC
I've been roaming null and have easily done 10 jumps without seeing anyone. You need to leave hisec.
Haedonism Bot
People for the Ethical Treatment of Rogue Drones
#20 - 2014-03-24 15:27:12 UTC
EVE being a game where the majority of content is created by players, why would you want to play it in empty places? You would have nothing to do but PVE by yourself, and we all know where that road ends.

The more players around, the better.

www.everevolutionaryfront.blogspot.com

Vote Sabriz Adoudel and Tora Bushido for CSMX. Keep the Evil in EVE!

123Next page