These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Assembly Hall

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Proposal] Consistency in weapon skills

Author
Driden Fas
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2014-02-27 14:34:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Driden Fas
Is there any reason why the missile skills are harder to train than other turret skills? For example, When I train for small autocannon and artillery specializations, I would train the relevant projectile turret skill to 5 then train into the specialization.

Now when I want to train for either rocket or light missile specializations there is no 'small missiles' skill that builds into those specializations, I would have to train both rockets to 5 then light missiles to 5.

This seems massively unfair on those that use missiles. It seems like the obvious thing to do would be to change it so that the individual missile skills (light missiles, rockets, heavy missiles, heavy assult missiles, cruise missiles and torpedos) should be replaced with small missiles, medium missiles and large missiles and keep the specialities the same
Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2014-02-28 04:20:23 UTC
Driden Fas wrote:
Is there any reason why the missile skills are harder to train than other turret skills? For example, When I train for small autocannon and artillery specializations, I would train the relevant projectile turret skill to 5 then train into the specialization.

Now when I want to train for either rocket or light missile specializations there is no 'small missiles' skill that builds into those specializations, I would have to train both rockets to 5 then light missiles to 5.

This seems massively unfair on those that use missiles. It seems like the obvious thing to do would be to change it so that the individual missile skills (light missiles, rockets, heavy missiles, heavy assult missiles, cruise missiles and torpedos) should be replaced with small missiles, medium missiles and large missiles and keep the specialities the same

its because missiles work on entirely different mechanics than turrets.

turrets are split between ranged types, short and long, they have trade-offs such as damage and tracking. missiles are straight classed, no tracking. each missile is designed to fight a particular type of ship, not to mention that unless the enemy is speed tanking extremely well, there is no way for a missile to "miss" within its effective range, or score anything other than a moderate hit.

the way range, damage, and general engagements work between the two weapon types is why they have different skills. missiles are inherently tools specialized for their individual jobs.

sorry if post has some redundancies in it, im tired.
Joe Boirele
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2014-03-01 05:24:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Joe Boirele
Quote:
turrets are split between ranged types, short and long, they have trade-offs such as damage and tracking. missiles are straight classed, no tracking. each missile is designed to fight a particular type of ship, not to mention that unless the enemy is speed tanking extremely well, there is no way for a missile to "miss" within its effective range, or score anything other than a moderate hit.

the way range, damage, and general engagements work between the two weapon types is why they have different skills. missiles are inherently tools specialized for their individual jobs.

Missiles do have short and long range variants, and while it isn't easy to dodge a missile, it is fairly easy to go fast enough the missile only deals negligible damage.

Still though, it takes slightly under twice as long to train a specific size of missile to level five. All together, the large missile skills (for example) add up to be 9x multiplier. This means it will take 1.8 times longer to get lvl 5 large missile skills (not including specializations). It would be great if the skills were either merged under the time multiplier of the longer range missile skill, or had their multipliers divided by two and rounded.

Enemies are just friends who stab you in the front.

"We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight!"

Jack Carrigan
Order of the Shadow
The Revenant Order
#4 - 2014-03-20 21:43:41 UTC
No, no, a thousand times no.

The rub lies here: With your standardized weapon systems (i.e. blasters, autocannons, pulse lasers, railguns, artillery and beam lasers), there are specific skill trees for the specializations related to them. Why should this differ with different missile types? Therefore, each missile type (i.e. rockets, light missiles, heavy missiles, heavy assault missiles, cruise missiles and torpedoes) should have its own specific skill tree.

Quit trying to create easy buttons due to laziness.

I am the One who exists in Shadow. I am the Devil your parents warned you about.

||CEO: Order of the Shadow||Executor: The Revenant Order||Creator: Bowhead||

Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#5 - 2014-03-24 08:19:37 UTC
Driden Fas wrote:

Why is it that you think 'making everything the same' is a good thing???

Who cares if it takes a little longer to train missiles, or its a differently laid out skill tree.... its differences that stop games becoming boring. (I'm not saying that choosing skills is the most interesting thing on the planet, but you know what I mean)

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#6 - 2014-03-26 02:00:49 UTC
Jint Hikaru wrote:

Why is it that you think 'making everything the same' is a good thing???

Who cares if it takes a little longer to train missiles, or its a differently laid out skill tree.... its differences that stop games becoming boring. (I'm not saying that choosing skills is the most interesting thing on the planet, but you know what I mean)

The problem in your argument lies in that the gunnery skill tree just got all the bonuses of the missile tree, in that you no longer need to tier up through all the specs like you used to.
However Gunnery support skills apply to 2 classes of weapon normally, some of them apply to 3. While Missile skills only apply to 1 class of weapon. And you have to train short & long range weapons separately while gunnery gets to train them as one.

This is a valid request since all the old advantages of missiles being able to train direct to a single spec without going through all the tiers has been removed.