These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon 1.3] Drone Assist change

First post First post First post
Author
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#1441 - 2014-03-13 02:06:50 UTC
Or just remove drone assist entirely.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Strom Crendraven
The H8teful Eight
#1442 - 2014-03-13 09:52:22 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Honest Blob wrote:

Did you stop and think how this would negativly effect mining fleets? As it is youv allready nerfed mining in non empire to ****, making mining sites not need to be scanned, putting null ice fields on a 4 hour cycle, letting ceptors warp through bubbles. Now one of the last things that miners had to defend with and that was a cloud of drones is gone.

We put a lot of thought into those kinds of use cases, which is why we settled on capping at 50 instead of removing drone assist or using a lower cap.

After a lot of thought and discussion, we decided that a cap of 50 provides a very good balance that continues to allow tactics like the ones you are describing while discouraging the use of drone assist as a "primary" role for ships in large fights.

I think you'll find that if you can't kill that interceptor with 50 warriors, 100 or 1000 won't be much better.

lol..just like you decided to discourage the use of missiles as a "primary" weapons system.
Aivo Dresden
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1443 - 2014-03-14 13:45:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Aivo Dresden
Just make it so sentries can't be dropped from carriers, instead of nerfing everything around it. We all know why this is getting changed, so just man up and make it happen, instead of having a whole bunch of useless nerfs that go around the essence of the problem.
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#1444 - 2014-03-15 05:43:22 UTC
Aivo Dresden wrote:
Just make it so sentries can't be dropped from carriers, instead of nerfing everything around it. We all know why this is getting changed, so just man up and make it happen, instead of having a whole bunch of useless nerfs that go around the essence of the problem.

I think the 250 man blob fleets of Sentry Domis was as much of an issue as carriers.
Nerfing carriers would not solve the Domi issue. Changing the amount of assigned drones is a good step in the right direction.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

kapads
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1445 - 2014-03-15 07:58:23 UTC
Please make drone assist work in lowsec.
Damien White
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1446 - 2014-03-16 19:48:11 UTC
Could you then redo one of the old drone nerfs or maybe think about how to actually make them a viable weapon plattform for PvE again?

Because right now drones are a joke and thanks to your purely PvP focused nerfs and changes it is, right now, a more viable option to use your turrets to defend your ship against web and scram frigates instead of using drones for the job.

Btw, have you ever thougt about the idea of actually changing the ships involved instead of the whole weaponsystem? As far as I know in terms of Subcapitals only the Dominix and Ishtar made these tactics a viable option. Now these two ships may look "ok" but every other drone based ship can self destruct itself.

Including the newly introduced Nestor that suffered heavily from your changes, even before it got implemented.

97% of girls would die if Justin Bieber were about to jump off a cliff. Post this in your sig if you`re part of the 3% yelling,

"DO A BARREL ROLL!"

Yakima DWB
Baited Sting
#1447 - 2014-03-17 22:49:54 UTC
When will drone assist work in lowsec again? Ever since the safety was added, drone assist has been broken on lowsec.
Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1448 - 2014-03-21 09:58:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Andy Landen
Sentry drones mount to hull of ship - result is less server taxation because sentry drones are treated like turrets. Also allows ships to enter and exit warp with their drones. Sentries automatically enter the ship when it goes into warp. Sentries are not targetable with ships shields protecting them so fewer objects on the overview to slow down the servers.

Target sequence order - by allowing players to specify a target sequence order or to automatically follow the order broadcast by the fleet commander for both drones and turrets, the drone assist function becomes expendable.

Players get bored when everything is about dps. Allowing EW and logistics (to name a couple other elements) to become more important increases the fun. Increase the power to repair ships with automatic notifications on where the incoming damage is going, on how much cap players have, and with hull repair bonuses to existing logistics ships.

On the capital logistics front, powerful supercapital forces and weak ehp and logistics bonuses and modules have made the logistics carrier into a glorified dominix-style sentry boat. The doomsday and the supercarrier are a few elements that force fitting of carriers to max ehp with trimarks that strongly discourage the logistics role of carriers where CCC rigs for cap are most advantageous. Yes, your supercaps force caps away from cap logistics and toward max EHP "slow cat" sentry carriers (where the only sentry drone bonus is up to +5 for drones at carrier 5).

I hope some big changes have become clear from this post for fixing the issues which this thread correctly observes.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

DetKhord Saisio
Seniors Clan
#1449 - 2014-03-24 19:29:14 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
If the drone limit is kept at 50, and people in incursions will potentially have to manually assign drones. will we get a third set of tags for frigates? currently we have letters and numbers and they're used for sniper and dps targets.

what are we going to use to tag frigates with?

An additional digit or two can potentially fix this problem with tags.

Two-Digit Tags:
A# (A1 to A9) = Sniper targets
B# (B1 to B9) = ECM targets
C# (C1 to C9) = Frigates or whatever....
et. al.

Three-Digit Tags:
A## (A01 to A99) = Sniper targets
B## (B01 to B99) = ECM targets
C## (C01 to C99) = Frigates or whatever....
et. al.