These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

CCP write of $21.4M worth of code - Taking bets on whats been killed

First post First post
Author
Billy Hix
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#1 - 2014-03-18 13:23:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Billy Hix
OK so from CCP financials

Quote:
On page 22, you'll find CCP taking a 21.4 million USD "derecognition" hit. The note for that says the following:

During the year the company assessed its capitalized development assets and determined that a portion of those assets would likely not have future economic benefits. IAS 38 requires that such assets should be derecognized and removed from the balance sheet. The expense related to the derecognized assets are presented as part of research and development expense in the statement of comprehensive income.

So taking bets on what has been written off. Clearly some piece of code was expected to be very valuable in the future and is not much less so. What do you think

1/ Incarna
2/ Dust
3/ WOD
4/ Other

Ripard Teg (CSM) seems to believe there will be an announcement at some time in the future (fanfest?) to explain what is going on.
http://jestertrek.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/derecognized.html

I am going with Incarna. Even though WOD development has been gutted and most of the staff fired, I believe CCP may still be holding out some hope they can get some money out of it. As for Incarna DEAD. Saying that as Incarna was pretty much WOD code beta it could be both are one and the same from a code asset point of view.
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#2 - 2014-03-18 13:37:23 UTC
Jester linked back to a 2011 post of his where he noted that CCP was taking on debt to fund the development of DUST514. So this might be CCP admitting that the profit they predicted from DUST isn't there, and they don't know when it will be there.

It wouldn't necessarily mean the end of DUST514, just the end of a years-old projection that the investment they made would have a fairly rapid return.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Wulfgar WarHammer
Unrustled
#3 - 2014-03-18 13:38:45 UTC
Too bad it's not http://evevalkyrie.com/

What a waste of resources.
Azrin Stella Oerndotte
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4 - 2014-03-18 13:38:45 UTC
Hopefully not a server code rewrite
Arline Kley
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#5 - 2014-03-18 13:48:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Arline Kley
Always bet on the Juke.

Wulfgar WarHammer wrote:

And pray tell, why is a waste of resources? And have you tried the game out or are you speaking from a perspective of one that believes that they know a game from a simple video?

"For it was said they had become like those peculiar demons, which dwell in matter but in whom no light may be found." - Father Grigori, Ravens 3:57

Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#6 - 2014-03-18 13:53:45 UTC
The only thing that comes to mind would be Carbon. I'm guessing none of their games now has a chance to use that piece of technology. Dust went to ps3, WiS in Eve is indefinitely sidelined, and WoD is on skeleton crew, and valkyrie won't need it either.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Xearal
Dead's Prostitutes
The Initiative.
#7 - 2014-03-18 13:57:30 UTC
Wulfgar WarHammer wrote:

Have you even tried it? I did last year at fanfest, and my mind was blown into space.

Once the rift gets released along with Valkyrie, I know where my money is going.

Does railgun ammunition come in Hollow Point?

Rakshasa Taisab
Sane Industries Inc.
#8 - 2014-03-18 14:05:55 UTC
Batelle wrote:
The only thing that comes to mind would be Carbon. I'm guessing none of their games now has a chance to use that piece of technology. Dust went to ps3, WiS in Eve is indefinitely sidelined, and WoD is on skeleton crew, and valkyrie won't need it either.

I'm guessing you have no idea what Carbon actually is.

Nyan

Azami Nevinyrall
#9 - 2014-03-18 14:11:21 UTC
I'm very interested to know what exactly was written off...

Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#10 - 2014-03-18 14:11:29 UTC
Xearal wrote:
Wulfgar WarHammer wrote:

Have you even tried it? I did last year at fanfest, and my mind was blown into space.

Once the rift gets released along with Valkyrie, I know where my money is going.

Be prepared to be blown yet again with the new build... Just sayin'

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Azami Nevinyrall
#11 - 2014-03-18 14:21:42 UTC
Chribba wrote:
Xearal wrote:
Wulfgar WarHammer wrote:

I really hope there's a non Rift version of Valkyrie!

I'm really not dishing out a lot of cash to upgrade my perfectly functional PC and buy a Rift. Just to play a game that I might get disappointed with! *cough* *cough* *hack* *cough*........ Sorry about randomly coughing and hacking up a lung. Too much ******* Dust 514 in here!

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#12 - 2014-03-18 14:22:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Wulfgar WarHammer wrote:

A waste of resources that has the potential to be a game changer for CCP. People have been clamouring for a decent dogfighting space game for years, thus far nobody has really stepped up to the table and delivered. CCP, while taking a bit of a gamble, look to be stepping up to the table and actually delivering.

What's not to like? Instant dogfights, on multiple platforms (PC and PS4), in space, with a rather large and well established library of space related material to draw on.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#13 - 2014-03-18 14:26:19 UTC
DUST 514?

More like BUST 514...

Ba-dum-tiss!

Not today spaghetti.

Qalix
Long Jump.
#14 - 2014-03-18 14:27:16 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Wulfgar WarHammer wrote:

A waste of resources that has the potential to be a game changer for CCP. People have been clamouring for a decent dogfighting space game for years, thus far nobody has really stepped up to the table and delivered. CCP, while taking a bit of a gamble, look to be stepping up to the table and actually delivering.

It seems clear to me that they're betting their future on Valkyrie. Oculus Rift is really starting to hit the mainstream conciousness. It even got debuted at SXSW this past week.

It's not Valkyrie. I was thinking in terms of the games themselves and would have bet on DUST without hesitation. But Batelle brings up an interesting point about Carbon. Still, I think they're turning the lights out on DUST.
Thead Enco
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#15 - 2014-03-18 14:31:19 UTC
Billy Hix wrote:
OK so from CCP financials

Quote:
On page 22, you'll find CCP taking a 21.4 million USD "derecognition" hit. The note for that says the following:

During the year the company assessed its capitalized development assets and determined that a portion of those assets would likely not have future economic benefits. IAS 38 requires that such assets should be derecognized and removed from the balance sheet. The expense related to the derecognized assets are presented as part of research and development expense in the statement of comprehensive income.

So taking bets on what has been written off. Clearly some piece of code was expected to be very valuable in the future and is not much less so. What do you think

1/ Incarna
2/ Dust
3/ WOD
4/ Other

Ripard Teg (CSM) seems to believe there will be an announcement at some time in the future (fanfest?) to explain what is going on.
http://jestertrek.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/derecognized.html

I am going with Incarna. Even though WOD development has been gutted and most of the staff fired, I believe CCP may still be holding out some hope they can get some money out of it. As for Incarna DEAD. Saying that as Incarna was pretty much WOD code beta it could be both are one and the same from a code asset point of view.

4. ***tchip and the "One man" office located in San Francisco, CA
Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2014-03-18 14:36:10 UTC
Batelle wrote:

What is Carbon.
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#17 - 2014-03-18 14:39:09 UTC
Rakshasa Taisab wrote:
Batelle wrote:

I'm guessing you have no idea what Carbon actually is.

okay, you caught me. Take everything I said and restrict it to the ambulation-related, graphical aspects of carbon.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#18 - 2014-03-18 14:39:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Qalix wrote:
It seems clear to me that they're betting their future on Valkyrie. Oculus Rift is really starting to hit the mainstream conciousness. It even got debuted at SXSW this past week.
I wouldn't say that they're betting the future on it, but they'd be fools not to take advantage of the opportunities that a ground breaking, as in it actually works, technology such as the Oculus Rift offers.

Quote:
It's not Valkyrie. I was thinking in terms of the games themselves and would have bet on DUST without hesitation. But Batelle brings up an interesting point about Carbon. Still, I think they're turning the lights out on DUST.
Carbon isn't dead, it's very much a part of Eve.

I don't think they're killing off Dust either, especially as they're just about to release Uprising 1.8 which brings new toys to the game, which to me says that they're still actively developing it.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Billy Hix
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#19 - 2014-03-18 14:40:40 UTC
Chribba wrote:

It would be interesting if after a HUGE amount of money spent on flops like Dust and WOD, that CCPs next big game could be a little side project that suddenly exploded.
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#20 - 2014-03-18 14:42:27 UTC
well it looks like the thread is now just whining about whatever we personally don't like

so i think ccp is cutting pineapple on pizzas
123Next pageLast page