These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Bring back the old fonts!

Author
Sen Quenten
House of Quenten
#1 - 2011-11-29 23:49:17 UTC
Ok, I like that you went for more readable, but this thing is friggin HUGE. I feel like I'm on my grandmother's computer. I can't fit near as much on the screen. I never had a problem reading things before, so how about an option? Or at least the ability to change the size.

Thanks,
Sen
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#2 - 2011-11-29 23:56:56 UTC
Yeah, I'm not a fan of how huge the new font is either, I've called it 'bulbous' a couple times already today, lol. The best solution I've found so far is to turn UI scaling back down to 90%. It fixes a decent bit of the chat, but it shrinks your ammo and anything else that started out at a decent size down to like 6pt font. I wish the font sizes would atleast be normalized so that didn't happen.
el alasar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2011-11-30 00:07:38 UTC
given, there are issues with the new font + scaling, but overall - especially if you consider the options for many people - it is better than the old system! thx CCP for making it happen!

i see a need to improve on
a) the dot "." too small
b) font being t o o s p r e a d o u t
c) "9" little too round, could be made easier to distinguish from 8.
d) scaling to 90% needs improvement: 1. UI elements, e.g. IC column get unclear, 2. font everywhere unclear. maybe scale UI element first (without text), then insert the text with smaller size without resizing it.
e) give us also scaling to 80% ?

check the moderated 10000 papercuts evelopedia page! http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Little_things_and_ideas_-_low_hanging_fruit_-_10000_papercuts comment, bump(!) and like what you like

Melanee Posbe
Perkone
Caldari State
#4 - 2011-11-30 00:17:57 UTC
Yeah, this font is ok for monitors that do 1080 or higher...even then it's a bit big....but for the 90% of us laptop users who rock 720p resolution it's actually an impediment to gamplay, especially doing anything with the market/wallet orders windows.

An option the decrease the size would easily fix this.
Mathis Athins
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#5 - 2011-11-30 00:29:05 UTC
The new font is simply too big for my laptop, even after 90% scaling. It would be nice if we had the choice between fonts.
Aabis Jeasu
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2011-11-30 00:29:43 UTC
With my common 1920 x 1080 resolution I am having problems with the new font:

1) Font is too big, everything in the HUD is taking up more room
2) When scaling down, it makes the ammo and stacks smaller than they were BEFORE the patch.
3) Personally do not like this "eye-friendly" font style.

I'm glad this helps a lot of people who had trouble but for me this is a step in the wrong direction.
Old font option needs to come quick along with more control and customization over the interface!
Jazz Styles
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2011-11-30 04:23:46 UTC
It is an improvement in readability, but it's far from perfect. I'd say ccp should have another go at it, and make one from scratch that is scalable and easy to read, not to mention more sci-fi lookin' than this Smile
Nasopraso
BRUTAL GENESIS
GaNg BaNg TeAm
#8 - 2011-11-30 08:40:32 UTC
signed . I want back my old font Shocked

http://eve-kill.net/?a=pilot_detail&plt_id=95764

Solinuas
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2011-11-30 09:05:55 UTC
You know there is this thing known as UI scaling, it changes the size of the font
Robischek
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2011-11-30 11:29:35 UTC
Solinuas wrote:
You know there is this thing known as UI scaling, it changes the size of the font

You know that UI scaling doesnt change that grandmas font in wallet/market/cargohold/chatwindow, right?
While your HUD is unreadable in 90% UI....
Nestara Aldent
Citimatics
#11 - 2011-11-30 11:34:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Nestara Aldent
This new font is a boon to me, but I realize for someone else it makes a problem, and that fix should be made. Making new and more sci-fi looking font isn't a good idea, because fancier font will be less readable. Old font was bad.

But yes, the font should scale down too in such a way that is readable, and text small enough so lots of space is available.
Robert Caldera
Caldera Trading and Investment
#12 - 2011-11-30 12:25:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Robert Caldera
yes

im using dual 1920x1200 monitors but the font feels even then huge. Dont like it much, make it smaller or at least give us the option to set the size.

If you scale the UI down to 90%, many things get REALLY unreadable, unlike pre-patch.
Zzek Kromtcr
That's So Raven
#13 - 2011-11-30 14:09:20 UTC
New font actually makes things more difficult for people with low resolutions and in many cases just looks silly. They added UI scaling - that was all that need be done to help the legally blind. Why after the captain's quarters ship spinning removal fiasco has CCP not learned to always allow us a way to keep the old stuff when adding something new?
FrenchRaptor
Liberty Naval Fleet
#14 - 2011-11-30 16:51:40 UTC
Hear hear! The font is waaaay to big. I say leave the font as it was and just change it for the chat.
Lea Moa
Bringers of HIS will
#15 - 2011-11-30 18:51:46 UTC
General settings -> Context Menu Fontzise -> needs an option for 8 point fontzise

Font in options is actually pretty nice, I wouldn't mind having it everywhere. Nice, clear, not too big, maybe bit wide, but I could live with that one :-)
MD74
Dark Venture Corporation
Kitchen Sinkhole
#16 - 2011-11-30 19:00:54 UTC
The new font looks shite, PLEASE change it back...
h4kun4
Senkawa Tactical Division
Crimson Citadel
#17 - 2011-11-30 19:02:43 UTC
I like the font it needs some time until i acclimatize with it, but for me its great...im playing on a 19" monitor in 1240x1024
absolutely nice...
h4kun4
Senkawa Tactical Division
Crimson Citadel
#18 - 2011-11-30 19:02:43 UTC  |  Edited by: h4kun4
damn why double post? please add a feature to the forums that i cant post until 30 seconds are gone...
when i get impatient i klick until it works....mehhh
Archa4 Badasaz
Vangazhi
#19 - 2011-12-08 15:31:40 UTC
New font looks very different on different resolutions. I play on the 1024x768, windowed, and it looks pretty horrible (stretched vertically, condensed horizontally).

Please, either
1) try to change how font looks low resolution;
2) give my my EXPAND font option;
3) give the option to select old OR new option and still give me my EXPAND font option.