These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

And pop goes the Rifter

Author
Ayallah
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#21 - 2014-03-12 19:05:50 UTC
Veikitamo Gesakaarin wrote:

Well, I'm sure some of the Matari here had a chuckle at my expense due to Ms. Wildfire's satire.

Not really. I did not find it funny either, I just got the satire angle where you did not.

Personally I find this sort of thing uninteresting.

Goddess of the IGS

As strength goes.

Louella Dougans
Sovereign Hospitaller Order of Saint Katherine
#22 - 2014-03-12 20:59:44 UTC
Welcome back to space, Alica.

Be a Space Nun, it is fun. \o/

Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2014-03-12 21:47:17 UTC
Welcome back! And don't worry, we were all just as confused and frustrated as you were when these changes were made.
Though on the bright side, my drones have certainly been more competent lately. Glad some new firmware for them came out!

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Katrina Oniseki
Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#24 - 2014-03-12 22:19:28 UTC
Katrina Oniseki wrote:

Good. Because I'm not sure I will ever grasp this concept of... "trolling" for humorous or comedic effect that so many here and elsewhere seem so fond of.

Keywords to note there. She's a troll, just not a funny one.

Well, I'm sure some of the Matari here had a chuckle at my expense due to Ms. Wildfire's satire. Although I'm mature enough not to take the imagined wounds to my pride too seriously, nor, to level allegations of, "trolling", due to my present inability to grasp Matari wit or humour.

A handicap, I sometimes feel in being too serious and focused on my duties and tasks.

I was talking about Alicia.

Katrina Oniseki

Veikitamo Gesakaarin
Black Advent
#25 - 2014-03-12 22:42:13 UTC
Katrina Oniseki wrote:
Katrina Oniseki wrote:

Good. Because I'm not sure I will ever grasp this concept of... "trolling" for humorous or comedic effect that so many here and elsewhere seem so fond of.

Keywords to note there. She's a troll, just not a funny one.

Well, I'm sure some of the Matari here had a chuckle at my expense due to Ms. Wildfire's satire. Although I'm mature enough not to take the imagined wounds to my pride too seriously, nor, to level allegations of, "trolling", due to my present inability to grasp Matari wit or humour.

A handicap, I sometimes feel in being too serious and focused on my duties and tasks.

I was talking about Alicia.

I believe the content of my response assumed as much.

Kurilaivonen|Concern

Alica Wildfire
Industry Network
#26 - 2014-03-13 07:18:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Alica Wildfire
Louella Dougans wrote:

I really missed you. So many have gone over the time and will presumably never return. The undying capsuleer, a laughter. We don't live longer, we just don't die in battle. What a hybris most of us are living, thinking themselves as gods. They just fade away.

As ships die. The Rifter is dead. But the hull is living. A new ship arises with it. But it's not the Rifter anymore. Like myself who is not the same person that I was two years ago. That's not a term to provoke people to reaction, it's a simple fact. And I weep tears for my old ship. It was necessary, I can believe it. Sometimes a hero has to die to make space for a new one. And I just hope the hull will be as glorious with the new ship inside as the old one had been. Glorious and radiant like the slaves rising their fist against their masters and drain them in the blood of freedom.

A girl can't step into the same river twice. For the river has changed as the girl is not the same anymore.

Things have gone that I believed to be eternal. The things they are a changin.

And the hopes of those who are thinking the new Rifter is a good step, I'm not so sure about that. I have seen this technological "advancement" on the Jaguar years ago. And it didn't work. The reason is for a Sebiestor a simple one, the reason can be found in mathematics. I was killing Wolf and Jaguar in my Rifter. A thing that now has changed forever. And who doesn't understand the value of tracking in a brawl has not been in the field of frigate warfare for years. The Slasher is not the new Rifter. The Slasher is a new Slasher, definitely a better one than I left behind years ago. But the Rifter won't work. Or maybe he will work but not as good as other ships that follow the same tactic. The Rifter will now be helpless against drones. He will miss even with the smallest guns most of the shots on a frigate when in tight circle. He won't be able to put out the damage from distance. That are all facts. And this is the reason, why I say the Rifter died this day.

A frigate dies if it is staying too far from the target. Simple math, at least simple if you understand basic physics. I have been fightin' against the Slavers from the second week I have been a capsuleer. I have tackled my first Commandship, the Absolution of the Slavers shortly after. I sacrificed my Rifter for that and we were a pack of eight frigates and cruisers to bring him down. I was fighting to survive long enough for my fleet to arrive. It was a lone battle from my side, where I slowly got eaten by his drones, a so young pilot that I hardly was in control of my ship. That could not have be done in a Slasher. Not then. Not now. It was the first expensive loss that I personally achieved.

So. I weep for my old ship. May the new one be as glorious.
And I'm greeting my old friends, that are still around.

FREEDOM, PUNK & AUTOCANNONS

Jace Sarice
#27 - 2014-03-13 07:29:11 UTC
Alica Wildfire wrote:
Louella Dougans wrote:

I really missed you. So many have gone over the time and will presumably never return. The undying capsuleer, a laughter. We don't live longer, we just don't die in battle. What a hybris most of us are living, thinking themselves as gods. They just fade away.

Just out of curiosity, so you consider capsuleers permanently going back planetside as essentially dying?
Leopold Caine
Stillwater Corporation
#28 - 2014-03-13 07:29:33 UTC
Alica Wildfire wrote:

As ships die. The Rifter is dead. But the hull is living. A new ship arises with it... Glorious and radiant like the slaves rising their fist against their masters and drain them in the blood of freedom.

From technical treatise to krusual soap opera in less than 4 posts
Watch and learn, drama students..
  • Leopold Caine, Domination Malakim

Angels are never far...

Stillwater Corporation Recruitment Open - Angel Cartel Bloc

Alica Wildfire
Industry Network
#29 - 2014-03-13 07:51:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Alica Wildfire
Jace Sarice wrote:
Alica Wildfire wrote:
Louella Dougans wrote:

Just out of curiosity, so you consider capsuleers permanently going back planetside as essentially dying?

Some fade away, yes. Where they fade is different. Some may find peace in using Drop, which has some tradition in Amarr space and leads to come to battle in an industrial vessel.

And it leads too to people making noise in a channel without providing information, statements or any kind of contribution, amusingly naming people that do it as "trolls". Which is something that I find amusing and throw some fresh fruits in their direction and greet them too. Ah - some things never change. The Drop abuse for example. And this is the answer to your question, Jace, just read between the postings and look for noise. There you find the lost souls of capsuleers that have gone down the drain and are fading away.

By the way, Louella, do you still offer care packets for the needy and the fallen? I would provide some and deliver. Which kind of trade goods would be a New Eden care package?

Jennifer Maxwell
Crimson Serpent Syndicate
#30 - 2014-03-13 11:58:45 UTC
I don't often fly Minmatar ships, but when I do, I enjoy artillery platforms. A holdover of being taught to engage at range, I suppose. I support these changes; we've all seen the power of the Alpha Thrasher doctrine, perhaps the Republic engineers seek to emulate this. Just like Thrashers are more effective in packs, Rifters may show to be useful in that way too.
Alica Wildfire
Industry Network
#31 - 2014-03-13 14:03:51 UTC
Jennifer Maxwell wrote:
I don't often fly Minmatar ships, but when I do, I enjoy artillery platforms. A holdover of being taught to engage at range, I suppose. I support these changes; we've all seen the power of the Alpha Thrasher doctrine, perhaps the Republic engineers seek to emulate this. Just like Thrashers are more effective in packs, Rifters may show to be useful in that way too.

Maybe you are right. But I think if you try to fly alpha doctrine, the Trasher will work a lot better than a Rifter. There is no place for an Alpha-Rifter. The Thrasher has about twice the impact. So the role is taken. Of course you may argue that the artillery works nice against traditional piloted ships. And this, I think, is true. So in the role against non-capsuleers the new "Rifter" may hold it's place. And now there might be a ship that is able to fill this role.

Which I would admit. Especially with shield tank you perform well against the average Angel pirate.

If you try to fight on range the Breacher is anyway the better choice. You are doing like triple the damage at 20 km with it. If there is no transversal, if there is, it will be more like five times. Okay, the Rifter is a bit harder to kill. But it does not compensate for three to five times the damage. Unjammable, if you use self-targeting missiles. With an even bigger alpha strike.

So what's the point in this new Rifter? Some people said it's better than a nice ship aside of the Slasher. But I really do want, I really try to see a good point at it. The party told me to see five fingers, but I sadly only see four. The idea is daft. It's just that the Rifter is gone now, what is left is the hull (a nice hull by the way, my favorite).

I have no idea what the Republic Fleet engineers were thinking when they did this. I can't see any advantage in it. Anything that gives the ship an edge above any other ship, nah even any Minmatar ship. It's just useless if you don't count the performance against Angels. The Slasher is a nice "new Rifter", I don't argue against the Slasher. Much better than it was. Useful now, a good ship. But you can't tank it like a Rifter. Not on armor. By far.

I admit that I hate the falloff idea on a frigate. It's absolutely okay, I'd say brilliant on a cruiser. But on a frig it's daft. And there I'm redundant and I'm repeating myself.

Vulxanis Viceroy
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#32 - 2014-03-13 19:19:17 UTC
Missiles certainly can be useful, but I fail to see how these changes are actually beneficial. Of course, I have not flown a minmatar vessel, so I would not know.

In Character: Only responds to "Lord Draconis"

Pronounced "Vulzanis"

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/4fanm8/eve_in_a_nutshell_and_how_to_crack_it/

Public channel: VXV EVE

Twitter: https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Vulxanis_Viceroy

Andreus Ixiris
Duty.
SE7EN-SINS
#33 - 2014-03-13 19:32:09 UTC
See, that's the problem with the Rifter. Republic shipwrights can do whatever the hell they want with it and it doesn't even matter if it makes any sense because people will still buy it on account of how it looks cool.

Andreus Ixiris > A Civire without a chin is barely a Civire at all.

Pieter Tuulinen > He'd be Civirely disadvantaged, Andreus.

Andreus Ixiris > ...

Andreus Ixiris > This is why we're at war.

Vulxanis Viceroy
Scary Wormhole People
#34 - 2014-03-13 19:35:19 UTC
Andreus Ixiris wrote:
See, that's the problem with the Rifter. Republic shipwrights can do whatever the hell they want with it and it doesn't even matter if it makes any sense because people will still buy it on account of how it looks cool.

Does not seem like an effective policy.

Pronounced "Vulzanis"

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/4fanm8/eve_in_a_nutshell_and_how_to_crack_it/

Morwen Lagann
Tyrathlion Interstellar
#35 - 2014-03-14 12:23:06 UTC
Vulxanis Viceroy wrote:
Andreus Ixiris wrote:

Does not seem like an effective policy.

You would be surprised how effective it is.

Morwen Lagann

CEO, Tyrathlion Interstellar

Coordinator, Arataka Research Consortium

Owner, The Golden Masque

Nauplius
Hoi Andrapodistai
#36 - 2014-03-14 13:23:42 UTC
I'm still kind of bitter about the loss of the Rocket Inquisitor. I want it back, quirky two midslot layout and all.
Vulxanis Viceroy
Scary Wormhole People
#37 - 2014-03-14 16:31:16 UTC
Morwen Lagann wrote:

You would be surprised how effective it is.

Again, I would not know, as I do not fly such vessels.

Pronounced "Vulzanis"

Merdaneth
Angel Wing.
#38 - 2014-03-16 12:56:04 UTC
Ms. Wildfire, Rifters always went pop. In that respect there is little difference. Ashes to ashes, rust to rust.

It is much worse that they downgraded my Crusader's armor in return for bubble-piercing engines. And it actually pains me to review my fleet of Armageddon-class Battleships.
Alica Wildfire
Industry Network
#39 - 2014-03-18 10:34:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Alica Wildfire
Merdaneth wrote:
Ms. Wildfire, Rifters always went pop. In that respect there is little difference. Ashes to ashes, rust to rust.

It is much worse that they downgraded my Crusader's armor in return for bubble-piercing engines. And it actually pains me to review my fleet of Armageddon-class Battleships.

Yes, there goes my Hurricane fleet. I can feel the pain you express. It would have been nice if I returned to my hangars just to find all my Hurricanes transferred to be Fleet Issue Hurricanes, but sadly my cannons where hanging from the hull where engineers have taken away the hardpoints for them. Modules that were fitting in the slots were not fitting anymore. I got a fleet of wrecks, worthless crap in my hangars now.

I really can feel your pain. While the Rifter was not just going pop, like you say, I remember to have been fighting your Crusader with it quite successfully and that you even evaded my offer to fight my Republic Fleet Firetail. Okay, I remember that my fights with a Claw were very balanced and sadly I popped a fraction of a second before you would have, but… yeah.

Old times. I just tried to salvage my Hurricanes after that disaster only to find out that salvaging ships is not profitable anymore. You have to sell them. Doh. And there I am on a stack of 20000 Wreath industrials and may rejoice to try to sell them. Doh-Doh. I will try to sell them on the Amarrian market I guess. They are in urgent need of serious industrials there now.

Gee, you think you have been fucked by economy? You should see my industry in shatters. You should see my hangars full of ships that won't work anymore. Where weapons and modules won't fit, slot layouts have been altered as if a horde of fucking monkeys on LSD were vandalizing my hangars.

Well, I had a huge huge stack of Slashers, why I can't remember, but I found that their rise in value will compensate for some of my losses. I paid about 25k for each back at those times, now they are worth around 500k or something. That's not too bad.

I am quite sad about losing a lot of my assets, ships, setups and that and find I have to start from scratch now. Well the new Wolf and Jaguar are looking promising in their way. Good enough for the one or other test. At the end of my career in Milita there were very few people left, like you for example, that were still flying with afterburners. Now the microwarpdrive seems back in action.

Like it was standard six years ago.

I like what they did to the Vigil, by the way. That second missile slot doesn't make it a good fighter, but it's better than the old configuration. And the Breacher. Hell, I love the Breacher.

I had a dispute with an Amarrian capsuleer, by the way, about the bonus of that ship, that changed from +5% damage to -5% rate of fire. And I said: well that's a good change. We got more damage from that. And he said: "No! +5 and -5 is the same." I said: "Man, I know that's not intuitive, but 105/100 is less than 100/95. Just use your common sense. It's not rocket science." "You are talking ****", he said. I asked him if he's doing his taxes by the same way. He said he wasn't paying taxes. Maybe, I said it's because he's lacking some fundamental education like knowledge about the secrets of division? And sales tax? I asked him if he's coming from the Amarr Empire, for the lack to accept reality. He said I've been blocked. I laughed.

Amarr is blocking common sense. Please tell me you see the humor in this like I do. Your head must hurt with so many drop users around, Merdaneth. Join the Republic! At least we can do the math. We have the prettier women, the better music and more sex.

Previous page12