These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Question] When to deploy different drones

Author
Minimus Livingston
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-03-15 20:21:24 UTC
Hello fellow pilots,

I am a Gallente pilot and just finished training into Warden II's and Garde II's.
I want to do level 4 missions with my Dominix and want to know when to deploy certain drones.

The drones I have at my disposal are:
Ogre II
Hammerhead II
Hobgoblin II
Garde II
Warden II

Could you tell me when to deploy what drones? It's a bit confusing to me.

Yours sincerely,

Minimus Livingston.
Genseric Tollaris
Hard Cog Industry
#2 - 2014-03-15 21:18:58 UTC
Each races drones does a different damage type, for gallente its thermal, caldari is kinetic, amarr is em and minmatar is explosive. Generally for pvp most people stick with the gallente drones as they hit hardest or minmatar because exlosive damage and warriors are the fastest. For pve I think its usually wise to choose drones that deal damage the rats you're facing are vulnurable to. To find what damage types they are just google the mission. Having said that your drone choice looks fine, you have all the gallente drones except wardens which are caldari.

Typically with a mission domi you would use sentries and stay at range to mitigate some of the incoming damage and so your sentries can easily hit the rats as they fly straight at you. But theres many ways to use a ship. Gardes are your short range higher damage sentries with good tracking. Wardens are long range with poor tracking. So gardes when you're closer, wardens when your far away. Use the attributes tab on the show info pane to find out ship/module stats.

Ogres are big and slow and are best on big targets at very close range. Hammerheads are mid size and good for cruisers and hobgoblins are small and fast and good for killing frigs. To learn how to run missions for max efficiency there are guides and probably a few youtube vids, but theres no substitute for figuring out how things work yourself and developing your own style. I hope that was at least a bit helpful.
Minimus Livingston
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2014-03-15 22:15:09 UTC
Genseric Tollaris wrote:
Each races drones does a different damage type, for gallente its thermal, caldari is kinetic, amarr is em and minmatar is explosive. Generally for pvp most people stick with the gallente drones as they hit hardest or minmatar because exlosive damage and warriors are the fastest. For pve I think its usually wise to choose drones that deal damage the rats you're facing are vulnurable to. To find what damage types they are just google the mission. Having said that your drone choice looks fine, you have all the gallente drones except wardens which are caldari.

Typically with a mission domi you would use sentries and stay at range to mitigate some of the incoming damage and so your sentries can easily hit the rats as they fly straight at you. But theres many ways to use a ship. Gardes are your short range higher damage sentries with good tracking. Wardens are long range with poor tracking. So gardes when you're closer, wardens when your far away. Use the attributes tab on the show info pane to find out ship/module stats.

Ogres are big and slow and are best on big targets at very close range. Hammerheads are mid size and good for cruisers and hobgoblins are small and fast and good for killing frigs. To learn how to run missions for max efficiency there are guides and probably a few youtube vids, but theres no substitute for figuring out how things work yourself and developing your own style. I hope that was at least a bit helpful.

Thank you so much for your reply. It has been incredibly helpful.

I will try this out right away! =)
voetius
Grundrisse
#4 - 2014-03-15 22:24:16 UTC
My rule-of-thumb for PvE would be :

Short range : use Garde II

Blood / Sansha : use Curator II

Angels : use Bouncers II

Long range : use Warden II

Ogre II are highly situational (read : mostly useless), same with Hammers

For small stuff use warriors if it's Angels otherwise use Hobgoblins.

Hobgoblins II : wait until the elite frigates get to less than 10km before deploying them to minimise losses
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#5 - 2014-03-15 23:02:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Less than 15 km: medium or heavy
Over 15 km: medium or sentries
Frigates: light

I only use Gallente and Minmatar light / medium / heavy drones, but all races of sentry drones for different damage types and ranges.

Angels: Minmatar drones or sentries
EM Weak (Rogue Drones, Blood Raiders, Sansha): Gallente light / medium / heavy drones or Amarr sentries
Guristas: Gallente drones or Caldari sentries
Everything else: Gallente
PvP: Warrior II for fast frigates, Hobgoblin II or Hammerhead II or Ogre II for everything else.
Hasker Decks
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2014-03-16 10:39:06 UTC
According to what Genseric Tollaris advised:
Quote:
For pve I think its usually wise to choose drones that deal damage the rats you're facing are vulnurable to. To find what damage types they are just google the mission.

If you want to check the mission Eve-survival is your friend.

To check damage types of different NPCs look here.

Regards,
Hasker
Lantro
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2014-03-16 20:59:35 UTC
***Don't read this if you like micromanagment, aggro managment or active gameplay.***

Fit your Dominix for Drone Control range (Drone Link Augmentor) optimal (Tracking Link with Range script) and gank (Damage Amplifiers), then fit a sensor booster, a MJD and something to aggro like a civilian blaster. Put a set of garde and warden and also some hobgoblin in your drone bay and warp out to the mission. Once in look for a good spot to MJD to (far enough out so you don't get much damage but still in your wardens control and optimal range). Once there place sentries, lock the stuff and see it pop while watching youp...eh tube. If yomething gets/spawns too close switch to Garde and maybe use Tracking scripts. Oh, I forgot about tank...you won't need much, simple T2 crap 1 Large Rep and 2 Hardeners or 1 EANM and 1 Reactive Hardener will work fine as omnitank but don't expect to use it often...only Guristas/Mordus Legion will hurt on range.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#8 - 2014-03-16 23:34:22 UTC
PVE:

Long range - Warden II. Shoot smallest ships first, then work toward larger.
Medium range (10-55km) - Garde II.
Short range, against all targets except elite frigates - Ogre II, double web your target if it is smaller than a battlecruiser.
Short range, elite frigates - Warrior II, double web your target, and warp scram it if it appears to be microwarpdriving.

PVP, large fleets - Use sentry drones unless told otherwise, ask your FC which two sets to bring
PVP, solo - Depends entirely on what you are engaging.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com