These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Why can't we dock our ships in a similar way to this ourselves?

First post
Author
Mors Magne
Terra Incognita
#1 - 2014-03-14 13:41:28 UTC
Why can't we dock our ships in space stations in a similar way to thisQuestion

Are there any technical limitations?

Obviously, for us it would be from a 3rd person perspective, but I think that might be better because we'd be able to see other ships dock more clearly etc. It should provide greater immersion.

I realise that the size of Jita 4-4 would have to be increased, however I think it could be worth it.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#2 - 2014-03-14 13:45:25 UTC
No An der schönen, blauen Donau. 0/10. Evil
unidenify
Deaf Armada
#3 - 2014-03-14 13:45:28 UTC
no because of bumper can ruin everyone in Jita.
Pak Narhoo
Splinter Foundation
#4 - 2014-03-14 13:50:07 UTC
Ieeeee!Ugh
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#5 - 2014-03-14 13:51:12 UTC
unidenify wrote:
no ,because Jita.

fixed that.
Salvos Rhoska
#6 - 2014-03-14 13:54:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
It'll probably last two weeks in ELITE, till overwhelming fatfinger whine they can't handle it.

PS: Love the dashboard bobblehead physics.
Ameline Veil
uncooperative freight company
#7 - 2014-03-14 14:14:08 UTC
There are people who are immensely annoyed by the current jump animations (no, not me). Just imagine the outcry when ccp introduces docking/undocking animations (which I would really like to see).
shimiku
Zircron Industries
#8 - 2014-03-14 15:53:08 UTC
come back with you have been flying caps and then say this will be awesome
stoicfaux
#9 - 2014-03-14 16:09:25 UTC
Several reasons:
1) Autopilot. EVE has computers to do the tedious stuff.
2) Mandatory autopilot, meaning, no sane station manager would allow a ship to dock under its own control. You *will* be tractor-beamed, tug boated, flown by a docking pilot, etc., into the station at the direction of the docking staff.
3) You're an immortal pod pilot. You can hire people to deal with the tedium of docking.
4) If that's what it took to dock, then we would all leave our ships in space and dock in our pods whenever possible.
5) This isn't the role playing board, nor is EVE a role playing game.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Billy Hix
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#10 - 2014-03-14 16:10:23 UTC
That docking procedure looks awesome.

I can't wait to play some of these next gen Space Sim games. Eve is great, but CCP have managed to code themselves into a corner and even small updates are a huge amount of work. Combine that with Hilmars hardon for Micro transactions and desire to prove he can make another successful game and Eve just isn't 'exciting'. Lots of good changes that make life a little bit easier and the hope that in 5 years things will be cool.

Maybe this next lot of space Sims will put a rocket up CCPs arse and we can all have better games regardless of what game we play in the end.
Tysun Kane
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2014-03-14 16:10:50 UTC
Some type of docking animations would be cool. ED looks awesome.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2014-03-14 16:14:50 UTC
Docking animations would take too much ******* time. Never.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

stoicfaux
#13 - 2014-03-14 16:26:30 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
Several reasons:
1) Autopilot. EVE has computers to do the tedious stuff.
2) Mandatory autopilot, meaning, no sane station manager would allow a ship to dock under its own control. You *will* be tractor-beamed, tug boated, flown by a docking pilot, etc., into the station at the direction of the docking staff.
3) You're an immortal pod pilot. You can hire people to deal with the tedium of docking.
4) If that's what it took to dock, then we would all leave our ships in space and dock in our pods whenever possible.
5) This isn't the role playing board, nor is EVE a role playing game.

6) Everyone would just create bookmarks that would land them directly inside the station's docking bay.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#14 - 2014-03-14 16:33:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Mors Magne wrote:
Why can't we dock our ships in space stations in a similar way to thisQuestion

Are there any technical limitations?

Obviously, for us it would be from a 3rd person perspective, but I think that might be better because we'd be able to see other ships dock more clearly etc. It should provide greater immersion.

I realise that the size of Jita 4-4 would have to be increased, however I think it could be worth it.
You've obviously never played the original Elite, docking manually was an absolute arse, so you saved your monies and bought a docking computer to do it for you. By the looks of it people will be buying them in Elite Dangerous too, because manually docking will probably still be an arse despite 30 years having passed since Elite was originally released, and blew our minds.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#15 - 2014-03-14 16:34:26 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:

When you put it that way, I suddenly fully approve of this idea on the condition that there is a manual override button on the HUD.

“Our sensors report that your docking automation systems have been turned off. Please stand by for vaporisation.” Twisted

It would be much quicker than waiting 2 mintues for a self-destruct.

Still, the lack of Blue Danube makes that video a heretical abomination to all Elite-kind. Evil
Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#16 - 2014-03-14 16:40:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Khergit Deserters
They stole that procedure from Jumpgate. That was the best and maybe most difficult thing about that game. It was kind of like landing a fighter on a carrier in a flight sim, except with zero G physics. You'd come in worn out after a hard round of joystick twitch-fighting, then have to labor in a delicate docking. Many ships were splashed against the docking portal. Eventually they added the option of using autopilot, which was sad.
Jonah Gravenstein
#17 - 2014-03-14 16:40:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Tippia wrote:
Still, the lack of Blue Danube makes that video a heretical abomination to all Elite-kind. Evil
+1 for promoting the use of music such as The Blue Danube, In The Hall Of the Mountain King, Ride of the Valkyries (overdone but still cool) and O Fortuna etc in internet spaceships videos.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#18 - 2014-03-14 16:46:18 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:
They stole that procedure from Jumpgate.
…by which you mean Elite, obviously. Blink
Jonah Gravenstein
#19 - 2014-03-14 16:48:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Khergit Deserters wrote:
They stole that procedure from Jumpgate. That was the best and maybe most difficult thing about that game. It was kind of like landing a fighter on a carrier in a flight sim, except with zero G physics. You'd come in worn out after a hard round of joystick twitch-fighting, then have to labor in a delicate docking. Many ships were splashed against the docking portal. Eventually they added the option of using autopilot, which was sad.
Actually they didn't, that docking procedure comes from the original Elite game, which was released in 1984 thus predating Jumpgate by at least 20 years. The guy behind Elite Dangerous is one of the guys that released the original Elite.

If anything Jumpgate plagiarized it from Elite.

Bonus docking video from the original Elite, complete with docking computer, and a terrible midi rendition of The Blue Danube

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

RomeStar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#20 - 2014-03-14 17:03:19 UTC
Becausse I want to waste 5 minutes docking when I could have already grabbed my stuff and warped to the next stargate. Oh and I believe there is a features and Ideas section of these forums maybe you should dock yourself there from now on.

Signatured removed, CCP Phantom

123Next page