These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Test Server Feedback

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

TriLambda Features and Feedback: Rubicon 1.3

First post
Author
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#81 - 2014-03-12 22:15:53 UTC
Unsurprisingly, the asteroids now look like black blobs hovering in black space when using low detail, low shader quality, no shadows. Or rather, Veldspar and Scordite are black blobs (with some patches of darkness to break up the black), the plagioclase looks like finger potatoes.

If I bump up the shader quality to medium, Scordite and Veldspar turn into really-dark-grey blobs hanging out in space, even on the "sunlit" side. Thankfully I have the tactical overlay to provide a pale surface against which to discern the asteroids, otherwise I wouldn't be able to see them. If I turn the shader quality up to medium, my computers fans start up. If I turn the shader quality to high, EVE won't run smoothly because of the number of clients I have open.

I'm guessing team TriLambda has shares in nVidia, right? "Low shader quality? No graphics for you!" Lol
Ramius Decimus
Decimus Dynamics
#82 - 2014-03-12 23:31:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Ramius Decimus
Tykari wrote:
CCP BunnyVirus wrote:
Marcel Devereux wrote:
The Tristan looks awesome! I do have one critique though. Can you either add back in the other arm or remove the right one? It looks pretty sleek until expect for the right side.

you want to remove the bridge, how do you control the ship without a bridge?

Isn't that why we have Capsules? Especially on small ships like frigates where almost no additional regular crew is required.

You're forgetting that these aren't just capsuleer ships. Otherwise you wouldn't see NPC versions of the starships.

The versions we purchase are modified versions to support our capsule technology (at a much higher cost) but can be crewed normally, if necessary. Depending where you're from in New Eden will depend on how you crew your starships, however the larger they come the more crew the ship will require.

As I am Caldari, I prefer to employ crews on my many starships. You'll never find unemployed orphan citizens in the State!

Here's an EVElopedia article regarding crews, if anyone's interested: https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/New_Eden_crew_guidelines

Rear Admiral

Commander-in-Chief

90th Fleet

Caldari Navy

Doireen Kaundur
Doomheim
#83 - 2014-03-13 00:13:39 UTC
Debating whether the new "linear" lighting model improves visuals.

I dont know.

Yes, the ship skins look a bit darker, and while more detail is supposed to be visible, I just dont see it.

If anything, it all looks like flat paint jobs.

The stations look bad too.

I dont have HDR turned on, dont know if it will make a difference but so far I just dont see any visual improvement.

Graphics card: ATI 5700 series.

_[center]For your Freighter **sized shipping needs, contact _[u]Lord Chanlin[/u].** _ Fast, affordable, reliable service._

https://gate.eveonline.com/Profile/Lord%20Chanlin[/center]

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#84 - 2014-03-13 04:23:38 UTC
btw out of interest. what do you mean by linear lighting model? It can't mean phong shading since the old model was already looked like it had linear interpolation for the surface normals.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Doireen Kaundur
Doomheim
#85 - 2014-03-13 15:09:52 UTC
Bienator II wrote:
btw out of interest. what do you mean by linear lighting model? It can't mean phong shading since the old model was already looked like it had linear interpolation for the surface normals.

this is all I could find with my limited understanding of the subject:

Linear - For a given point at a distance x from the light source, the light intensity received is proportional to 1/x.

I dont know what shading model EVE was using before.

_[center]For your Freighter **sized shipping needs, contact _[u]Lord Chanlin[/u].** _ Fast, affordable, reliable service._

Doireen Kaundur
Doomheim
#86 - 2014-03-13 15:22:53 UTC
Doireen Kaundur wrote:
Debating whether the new "linear" lighting model improves visuals.

I dont know.

Yes, the ship skins look a bit darker, and while more detail is supposed to be visible, I just dont see it.

If anything, it all looks like flat paint jobs.

The stations look bad too.

I dont have HDR turned on, dont know if it will make a difference but so far I just dont see any visual improvement.

Graphics card: ATI 5700 series.

OK, maybe Im losing my mind or Im getting used to it but the models look better after today's patch?Ugh

Catherine Laartii
Doomheim
#87 - 2014-03-13 16:26:51 UTC
As far as I can tell, the most noticeable change has been how the lighting plays off of the ships' hulls. The Carthum boats are the most noticeable with this, and it shows.
London
Moira.
#88 - 2014-03-13 17:16:20 UTC
Love the new more logical linear light system (parts of ships are dark where they should be dark, etc). But, I find the new Creodrone and ORE ships (Orca, Rorqual) are far too baby blue for my liking. The Creodrone ships especially used to be a menacing, dark, black-green. Now they are light blue. What?
Kaylin Drake
Profound Destiny
#89 - 2014-03-13 19:55:04 UTC
I like the lighter colors on ships with this update, they look better and I can really tell there was a change, they look great.

However, the darker areas of some ships look a bit too dark, some details on the darker areas that were there before are so dark they seem washed out/don't exist no more because it's too dark. Checked on two computers before posting. I am glad this is only a first pass and imagine that some of that darkness will be cleared up on future changes.
Doireen Kaundur
Doomheim
#90 - 2014-03-13 20:19:39 UTC
Kaylin Drake wrote:
some details on the darker areas that were there before are so dark they seem washed out/don't exist no more because it's too dark.

^this

My Crane looks bad.Sad

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#91 - 2014-03-14 07:46:23 UTC
Caldari Navy hulls look awesome; Caldari Navy weapons are now more muted, however (prefer the Rubicon 1.2 versions).

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Siegfried Tahl
STCorp
#92 - 2014-03-14 16:39:17 UTC
Is venture T2 version model shot relevant to the thread? http://i.imgur.com/U0AaJZu.jpg Looks very nice.
Is it what the "Prospect" placeholder for. Is it covops cloakable?
Capt Saber
Marked For Elysium
#93 - 2014-03-14 18:56:21 UTC
How about some disable features on all these graphics improvements? Two patches ago I got white bars and flashing in station. This new linear lighting has me feeling blue both inside station and out.

Post Rubicon 1.3
http://imageshack.com/a/img594/3443/59rt.png

Updating the drivers isn't the problem Capt Obvious! Big smile
Neyth Kashada
Perkone
Caldari State
#94 - 2014-03-15 08:26:29 UTC
Was the color-change of the Kronos part of this Linear Lightning?
I think the color is way too greenish since Rubicon 1.3, or is this just me? Maybe I missed something?
Bruce Cavront
Angel Swarm
#95 - 2014-03-17 08:22:01 UTC
what happend to force fields on the docking bay of the Algos

sincerely,

a guy thankful he has not invested to much in this game yet
yoni
DU5T
#96 - 2014-03-17 12:29:54 UTC
Its great if you improve the lighting, support new shader models etc, but it was fine before. Letting us walk around in our ships would be a real improvement, rather than endless re-color, re-texture, re-light of inanimate functionless bricks.

Many ships are too brightly or garishly colored / patterned. And what's with all the desert camouflage in space???

Where is the simple elegance of the greenish black Khanid Navy omen?

Why can't the curse have that excellent shiny black anymore? It was the coolest looking ship in the game.

Why do T2 Amarr pilots have to suffer from the most horrible metallic color possible, hovering between pink and faded out red...?

Every retexturing improves some crappy textures and at the same time eliminates some of the best textures there were.

I shudder to think when someone is going to mess with the perfect black on the Navy Megathron and give it some children's birthday party colors instead.

With the harsh, directional light in space, ships shouldn't be lit evenly bright. It breaks immersion.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#97 - 2014-03-18 16:39:19 UTC
The Tengu is an unmitigated disaster; different colored subsystems, one of three shades of grey for the hull (depending on subsystem selection), varying finishes (matte vs. gloss) and different ship light colors.

The Amarr ships are just horrible. The silvers, reds, blacks and golds have been replaced with gold, pink, slate grey and bronze. The pink is particularly garish.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

CCP Sledgehammer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#98 - 2014-03-20 09:16:52 UTC
Hi all,

We are in the process of dealing with each ship on a case by case basis. We have fixed Carthum Conglomerate ships and are looking at the issues related to the Tengu and Amarr ships in general. Please submit a bug report if you feel that your ship is now unacceptably different.

Regarding drone bays on the Algos and other ships: Are people experiencing this on a Mac or PC? We are looking in to the causes on the Mac but have not seen this on the PC client.

Capt Saber: The only time we've seen the issue that you have reported is when the user is running legacy hardware. In your instance are you running an ATI Radeon X1000 family card or similarly aged piece of Hardware?

Thanks all for your continuing patience and support,

Sledgehammer.

Graphical QA Analyst | EVE Quality Assurance | Team TriLambda

Maximus Andendare
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#99 - 2014-03-20 13:54:01 UTC
CCP Sledgehammer wrote:
Hi all,

We are in the process of dealing with each ship on a case by case basis. We have fixed Carthum Conglomerate ships and are looking at the issues related to the Tengu and Amarr ships in general. Please submit a bug report if you feel that your ship is now unacceptably different.

Regarding drone bays on the Algos and other ships: Are people experiencing this on a Mac or PC? We are looking in to the causes on the Mac but have not seen this on the PC client.

Capt Saber: The only time we've seen the issue that you have reported is when the user is running legacy hardware. In your instance are you running an ATI Radeon X1000 family card or similarly aged piece of Hardware?

Thanks all for your continuing patience and support,

Sledgehammer.
I play on a MacBook Pro (Retina, using the Nvidia GeForce GT 330M graphics card out to an external display). All drone bay force fields are not showing up. Additionally, all ship running lights (blinking, static, or otherwise) are off. Ships look very flat and very toy-like.

Enter grid and you're already dead, destined to be reborn and fight another day.

>> Play Eve Online FREE! Join today for exclusive bonuses! <<

Divi Filus
New Xenocracy
#100 - 2014-03-20 14:27:43 UTC
Confirming that drone bays and blinking lights are not working on Mac clients. Particularly disappointing with the Police Pursuit Comet...