These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Progression to Level 4

Author
Jasmin Ahrire
Doomheim
#1 - 2014-03-12 09:36:00 UTC
Hi there!

To make a long story short, my current goal is progressing into level 4 missions. I am new to the game and have almost no skills trained so I am in essence a completely blank slate!

My question relates to which race's ships I should specialize in for now with mission running as a goal?

Level 1 missions needs a frigate and a destroyer?
Level 2 needs Cruisers?
Level 3 needs Battlecruisers and
Level 4 needs Battleships?

Am I correct in assuming the above? If yes what race should I go for? What ships should I fly in the respective ship classes?

Thank you in advance :)
Jill Antaris
Jill's Open Incursion Corp
#2 - 2014-03-12 09:46:53 UTC
Race doesn't matter that much, Caldari and Gallente are preferred by many because the relative easy to fit and effective drone and missile ships. Amarr is probably the race where you have to invest the most SP in cap, gunnery, tanking and navigation skills to run comfortable but they are very quick and efficent in the long run(if you are mostly run in amarr space). Minmatar are easier on the fitting and cap but also a bit more limited because autocannons lack the range on T1 hulls, artillery has a hard time tracking cruisers and frigs at close range. The mobile Swiss army knife style hulls like the tempest or typhoon are very skill intensive to run them well(split weapon systems or low dps that require high navigation, BS5 and gunnery skills get up to speed).
Jasmin Ahrire
Doomheim
#3 - 2014-03-12 09:52:37 UTC
Thank you Jill, you touched on something that I should have mentioned! Ideally it would be ships that would be the fastest to train, and yet still be good at running missions.

Personally I like the way that Gallente ships look, but I am not so in love with them that I dont want to use other races. The one thing that puts me off Galente though is that from what I read it takes very long to master the ships because of the extra drone skills. How true is this?

If I wanted to get into Level 3 Missions fastest what race and ships should I train for? I intend to follow the mastery system in being able to fly them effectively.
Seveneyes I
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2014-03-12 09:53:34 UTC
I'm quite new myself so take this advice with a pinch of salt.

You got the ship progressions correct. It is possible to do it slightly differently but that requires more knowledge/good skills. So from a newbie perspective then you should follow the ship progression you gave.

As for which faction to go for, that really is dependant on which faction you will be missioning for. Generally the best way to go is to stick with the same faction ships for which you are missioning for.

This is because each faction has 2 different pirate factions which they most commonly mission against. These pirate factions are weaker to the damage the corresponding faction mainly deals. And the pirates deal damage of which the corresponding faction is strongest against.

There are exceptions to this rule and you won't always have missions that are against these pirate factions. However it appears to be the best general rule to follow.
Nad'x Hapax
Hapaxa
#5 - 2014-03-12 11:49:41 UTC
Jasmin Ahrire wrote:
Thank you Jill, you touched on something that I should have mentioned! Ideally it would be ships that would be the fastest to train, and yet still be good at running missions.

Personally I like the way that Gallente ships look, but I am not so in love with them that I dont want to use other races. The one thing that puts me off Galente though is that from what I read it takes very long to master the ships because of the extra drone skills. How true is this?

If I wanted to get into Level 3 Missions fastest what race and ships should I train for? I intend to follow the mastery system in being able to fly them effectively.

1. Gallente or Caldari. Only because range will never really be a problem for u.

2) Not true. The end T1 gallente BS of choice is the Domi. U need only drones for that, not hybrids. Also Gallente along with caldari, MJD+Drones/missiles is the best lvl 4 tank in game.

Id choose drones over missiles only because of the awesome tracking.

3) Again, Id go gallente even though caldari is just as good. Algos-Vexor-myrmidon. Or vexor for all of it. For caldari, Corax-Caracal-Drake or Caracal for all of it.

But there is a but. U should consider your end goal even if u want to get into doing lvl 4s fast. If u want to clear and loot/salvage I would aim for the Vargur without hesitation which means Minmatar. Now a Domi will celar a mission just as fast as the Vargur but it wont salvage/loot.
Jill Antaris
Jill's Open Incursion Corp
#6 - 2014-03-12 12:37:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Jill Antaris
Jasmin Ahrire wrote:

Then you you probably should pick drones with Tristan -> Vexor -> Myrmidon -> Domi or missiles with Kestrel -> Caracal, -> Drake -> Raven as you skill goals. If you look for the absolute fastest way, you can fly the Domi just with light and sentry drones and can add a few medium weapons to increase the damage, same for the raven or drake, where you can kill frigs with the missiles to, but ideally you want to spend at least some SP in drones to, to use light drones against them and add a bit dps once you are done with the frigs.

Gallente can be fairly skill heavy to if you max out the navigations, gunnery, cap and drone skills to utilize a sentry + rail setup on the gunships(like on a Hype, navy domi, navy Mega, Kronos or Vindicator). This setups can do fairly good dps at medium range. A bit less than Amarr but the huge amount of sentry dps allows you to be more flexible with the damage types and thermal/kin damage of the rails doesn't have NPCs with super high resits against you, like it is with lasers vs Angels and Guristas.

Nad'x Hapax wrote:

But there is a but. U should consider your end goal even if u want to get into doing lvl 4s fast. If u want to clear and loot/salvage I would aim for the Vargur without hesitation which means Minmatar. Now a Domi will celar a mission just as fast as the Vargur but it wont salvage/loot.

The Kronos(rails/blaster + sentry dps), Paladin(puls/tachyon + light drones, -sigh- CCP) and Golem(CMs + light drones) work just as well. The Vargur only appears a bit more flexible because got a very smooth tank, the massive range without adjusting ammo types and can switch damage types, but the Kronos and Paladin have more raw dps to compensate for that, so it is fairly comparable in the endgame(even if the Paladin and Kronos where better before the changes, sporting 90% webs and a more room for extra sentry dps).
Nad'x Hapax
Hapaxa
#7 - 2014-03-12 16:19:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Nad'x Hapax
**** me I just deleted a wall of text. Very VERY short version.

Neither the Kronos or the Paladin will outperform the Vargur withing Tractor range, while vargur can apply almost all of its DPS withing 0-48km without changing ammotype or moving into range. Paladin and Kronos will either lose most of it at close or long tractor range. After all Marauders in lvl4s are all about loot/salvage while killing.

Dont know enough about the RHM Golem.

Here is what I do:

1. Enter mission

2. MWD into range to aggro everything and make sure that I wont have to w8 for **** to come into my tractor range

3. bastion

4. Kill away + loot/salvage
Estella Osoka
Cranky Bitches Who PMS
#8 - 2014-03-12 16:50:50 UTC
Gallente. Train drone skills. Cheaper cuz you only have to replace a drone every now and then, versus having to continually go out and buy ammo.
Illiar D'Anaari
Lassandar
#9 - 2014-03-12 16:54:50 UTC
All races can do mission effectively. Caldari have the luxury of selecting its damage type, but generally speaking, they apply less damage than their turret based counterparts, assuming the turret ships are attacking the proper targets (Sansha/Blood Raiders for Amarr, Gallente/Serpentis/Guristas/Mercs for Hybrid platforms).

Drones are good for every races. You need to be able to field 5 light drones at the very least to handle level 4 missions. Elite frigates are very hard to deal with otherwise (though mjd does make it more manageable than it was when I was starting L4) Drone platforms are akin to the missile ships, in that they can select damage type, but generally won't have quite as much damage output than a turret ship. The difference is not very big, but it's there. A perfect Domi (with just drones) will project about 800 dps with gardes II, less with other damage types (gardes > bouncers > curators > wardens in order of damage output). This is a very respectable amount of dps mind you, just less than a perfectly trained Hyperion could put out for instance. I believe drones would be the fastest route to level 4 missions, since you don't need to train multiple weapon sizes. Sentries will work from the vexor and up, and there are few support skills to train (drone interfacing and sharpshooting are the main ones, along with the control range skill whose name eludes me right now).

As was already said earlier, tristan/algos > vexor > myrmidon > dominix would be the logical progression.
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#10 - 2014-03-12 17:15:08 UTC
every race has at least one battleship capable of outputting the correct damage type to whatever rats you may face. Amarr and gallente however primarily rely on drones to fulfill this need, as their primary gun systems do not offer variable damage types.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

SomethingIs InMyButt
Levy Guards
Pandemic Horde
#11 - 2014-03-12 23:03:10 UTC
the one thing to remember, on top of all this (really good advice) is that a fitting tool is cheaper than the market.
utilise programs such as Eve Fitting Tool, and Pyfa.

Also:
I may compile tis later into a tiny 3 page mission guide, don't count on delivery. If I do release one, I'll put your username, or another alias that you send me in Eve mail in the credits.
Ireland VonVicious
Vicious Trading Company
#12 - 2014-03-13 00:22:16 UTC
Look into Gurrista ships. (( My preferred choice ))

Gila's can do L2 and L3's with no issue. Worm for L1's if you like but any T1 destroyer will do.

RS will run L4's like a champ. (( They are cheaper than most and do some amazing things with L5 and wh's ))

The big issue with gurrista ships is they take the most sp of any ship choice to fly well.

If going with T1 only I'd run gallente because you get the option of cross training for 3 different pirate faction ships as your main income maker using combat. (( RS, Mach, Vindi ))

Although knowing which you are interested in early can really help you not put sp in places you won't need it.
If you know you want Gurrista in the end caldari would be a better starting point.
If you know you want the Mach Minmitar would be the best starting point.
Vindi would be best to go gallente.

One option is hard to gank with easy mode, One for mad DPS, Last is for incursions.
Best part is you will have a long time to decide and test what works best for you.

Never been sold on the Amarr line due to EM/therm only damage and you will waste some sp if you go for the nightmare no matter how you tried to get to it. (( Unless you plan on being in a shield arby forever. Before you even attempt L3's and up. ))
Treborr MintingtonJr
S.N.O.T
S.N.O.T.
#13 - 2014-03-13 08:33:16 UTC
Ireland VonVicious wrote:
Look into Gurrista ships. (( My preferred choice ))

Gila's can do L2 and L3's with no issue. Worm for L1's if you like but any T1 destroyer will do.

RS will run L4's like a champ. (( They are cheaper than most and do some amazing things with L5 and wh's ))

The big issue with gurrista ships is they take the most sp of any ship choice to fly well.

If going with T1 only I'd run gallente because you get the option of cross training for 3 different pirate faction ships as your main income maker using combat. (( RS, Mach, Vindi ))

Although knowing which you are interested in early can really help you not put sp in places you won't need it.
If you know you want Gurrista in the end caldari would be a better starting point.
If you know you want the Mach Minmitar would be the best starting point.
Vindi would be best to go gallente.

One option is hard to gank with easy mode, One for mad DPS, Last is for incursions.
Best part is you will have a long time to decide and test what works best for you.

Never been sold on the Amarr line due to EM/therm only damage and you will waste some sp if you go for the nightmare no matter how you tried to get to it. (( Unless you plan on being in a shield arby forever. Before you even attempt L3's and up. ))

With awesome skills/knowledge/tekkers/blitzing Gila's can do Level 4 missions.
Jeanne-Luise Argenau
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2014-03-14 14:13:08 UTC
there was some good advice in here.

just something to think about not sure if it is faster tristan->Vexor Navy->Ishtar.

Ishtar should be able to do all missions, with the same damage as a Domi. But i only did some 5/10 6/10 plexxes with them where they worked fine.

Minmatar ships are the SP heaviest i can think of. Amarr are pretty good against everything but angel (as therm is the 2nd weakspot for every other pirate i can think of). Caldari are great mission ships (with mjd and cruise) if u count your salvos.

If u want to loot and salvage, i would drop a mtu inside, bm site and do 2 or 3 missions the same way. come back with a 3 salvage tackle fitted noctis, scoop the mtu and start work with my 8 salvagers + 5 salvage drones. The risk which lies in that modus operandi is that some ninja is scanning down your mtu and shoots it.

Ruareve
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#15 - 2014-03-15 04:31:45 UTC
I'm a fan of Caldari and missiles. Kestrel -> Caracal -> Drake -> Raven is the typical progression. I've done some drone boats (Gila and Rattlesnake) but I don't like having to micro manage the drones when they get agro. I've tried rails and blasters but they made me too dependent on drones for cleaning off the small stuff in the missions. Now I run Scorpion Navy Issue and it's the most fun so far.

Yet another blog about Eve- http://ruar-eve.blogspot.com/

IIshira
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#16 - 2014-03-15 04:33:57 UTC
Ruareve wrote:
I'm a fan of Caldari and missiles. Kestrel -> Caracal -> Drake -> Raven is the typical progression. I've done some drone boats (Gila and Rattlesnake) but I don't like having to micro manage the drones when they get agro. I've tried rails and blasters but they made me too dependent on drones for cleaning off the small stuff in the missions. Now I run Scorpion Navy Issue and it's the most fun so far.

I did the same on my first pilot. It's a shame the Drake was neutered a while back Sad
Ruareve
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#17 - 2014-03-15 04:49:12 UTC
IIshira wrote:
Ruareve wrote:

I did the same on my first pilot. It's a shame the Drake was neutered a while back Sad

Drake is still pretty handy. They reduced the shield a bit but the missiles still hit hard. Biggest problem was the range reduction to HML's but the Drake has enough speed the shorter range isn't a big deal for missions.

Yet another blog about Eve- http://ruar-eve.blogspot.com/

Liese Shardani
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#18 - 2014-03-30 06:08:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Liese Shardani
Ruareve wrote:
Drake is still pretty handy. They reduced the shield a bit but the missiles still hit hard. Biggest problem was the range reduction to HML's but the Drake has enough speed the shorter range isn't a big deal for missions.
Good to know. Before the nerf, I soloed every L4 in the game with a trusty T2-fit Drake (even the AE Bonus Room), and now that I'm back from a break, I'd like to try again, just to see how much is different.

For L4s, my backup always was the Navy Scorp, followed by the Tengu. I did a few L4s in Ravens (regular as well as Navy), but the SNI did better for me. Plus the darn thing is like crazy indestructible.

A friend of mine who's a diehard droneboat fan swears by his Domi. He says he makes more ISK blitzing L3s instead of L4s, but I've never done a thorough test of that on my own. I can fly any racial T1 and most T2s, so I just need to get off my backside and try a few things out.
Blitz Apollo
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#19 - 2014-03-30 09:22:13 UTC
Liese Shardani wrote:
[quote=Ruareve]A friend of mine who's a diehard droneboat fan swears by his Domi. He says he makes more ISK blitzing L3s instead of L4s, but I've never done a thorough test of that on my own. I can fly any racial T1 and most T2s, so I just need to get off my backside and try a few things out.

I seriously doubt this. More LP blitzing L3's possibly but more ISK I very much doubt. The ISK from bounties in most L4's is more than you will get from 3-4 L3's in most cases. Added to this in a Domi he will be very slow getting from mission to mission.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#20 - 2014-03-30 11:07:27 UTC
train for amarr, your cap and gunnery skills will always be useful.