These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Plex price manipulation, plex up 20 million in less than 24 hours.

First post
Author
Josef Djugashvilis
#41 - 2014-03-11 15:28:43 UTC
Be nice to mommy, use her credit card and pay by annual subscription.

Cheap and hassle free Eve Online.

This is not a signature.

Baron Chauman
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#42 - 2014-03-11 15:38:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Baron Chauman
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Wrong. If the price is exorbitantly high, and people start closing all their extra accounts, and CCP has to consider shutting down operations and the game itself, yes, it then is your problem indeed.

I doubt it, and that's coming from someone who pays for his time with plex and quit playing the last time plex prices shot up. Eve did fine without me during that year.

There's never going to be a shortage of people wanting to play the game without paying real money. Sure some people will stop playing like I did because of spikes like this, or at least cut down on their dozen accounts, and that will lower prices for a while if there are enough of them. Then more people will start buying and they'll go up again.

Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
Be nice to mommy, use her credit card and pay by annual subscription.

I tried, she told me to go get a job. Not all of us have nice mothers.
Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#43 - 2014-03-11 15:50:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Seven Koskanaiken
Icarus Able wrote:
Lipbite wrote:
Here is my theory: CCP want the huge wave of new players (after recent battle) to pay for subscription instead of buying PLEXes with ISK - so they temporary stopped feeding market with cheap PLEXes and what we see now is actually free market. Or it's just all new players are buying PLEXes for the first time and there are too many of them for CCP to hold the price (without big GTC sales).

Why in hell would they do that a plex is 15.99 a sub is 9.99?

The question is, who are suckers buying rip off plex from CCP when Battleclinic does 60 day ETCs for 34.99 USD.....
Salvos Rhoska
#44 - 2014-03-11 15:51:10 UTC
Baron Chauman wrote:
I tried, she told me to go get a job. Not all of us have nice mothers.

He didn't actually say to ask her. Just to use her card.
I Love Boobies
All Hail Boobies
#45 - 2014-03-11 15:56:03 UTC
Jurou Yuan wrote:
Knights Armament wrote:
I just don't see the point in allowing plex prices to climb un-regulated, your average 2 month old character isn't going to spend 2.5 billion on a plex.

They can just pay with money then. Paying with plex is a option not a right.

Unfortunately... some of us have real life money tied up in real life things and are unable to pay with real life money for subscriptions. Some of us are responsible adults and don't depend on mommy and daddy's credit cards to pay for subscriptions.
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#46 - 2014-03-11 16:01:58 UTC
... applauds all those people buying 25 years worth of PLEX to see if the game will be around by then. Blink

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#47 - 2014-03-11 16:03:10 UTC
Knights Armament wrote:
Icarus Able wrote:
Its more expensive on weekends because more people are online?

Possibly, but someone is buying up most of the plex and relisting, driving prices up. I thought CCP flooded the market with plex to prevent this type of behavior? What is to stop large alliances from using their vast income to buy up all the plex?

CCP doesn't inject plexes into the game. The number of plex is dependent on how many people buy plex from CCP.
Salvos Rhoska
#48 - 2014-03-11 16:03:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
I Love Boobies wrote:
Unfortunately... some of us have real life money tied up in real life things and are unable to pay with real life money for subscriptions. Some of us are responsible adults and don't depend on mommy and daddy's credit cards to pay for subscriptions.

I see.

Thats sad but well if you are unable to free up the necessary funds from something else, then I guess playing EVE, or any subscription MMO for that matter, is beyond your current assets.

Are you saying that you do not have the money to buy even one month of game time for one single account?

If so, then yes, you should probably focus on getting your IRL financial situation under control, and perhaps even improving it a little so that you can afford the arguably tiny amount it costs to subscribe an account for one month.
Tyburn Stannis
Xenon Salvage Inc.
#49 - 2014-03-11 16:06:49 UTC
I Love Boobies wrote:

I

If, as a responsible adult, money is so tight that you can't afford a tenner a month for a leisure activity but you're so addicted you can't stop playing, not sure giving finance lectures and life advice is your forté...

o/
Beekeeper Bob
Beekeepers Anonymous
#50 - 2014-03-11 16:15:07 UTC
Can't believe that people think that plex should be available to a new player easily.

Plex was designed specifically to keep players in the game long-term. As you progress in the game, gain the tools, and understand how to generate optimal cashflow, it becomes easier to plex accounts. It was never meant to be for everyone, it just won't work that way.

CCP wants the price of plex to rise, right now they generate cash from an inverted pyramid, where a smaller number of players buy large amounts of plex, and sell them on market. When you depend on a small group to support your business, any loss of those players will have a much larger negative cashflow effect.

This is also why PTW is coming. I wonder how much Officer mods will sell for in Aurum...Cool

Signature removed - CCP Eterne

Salvos Rhoska
#51 - 2014-03-11 16:17:58 UTC
Beekeeper Bob wrote:
right now they generate cash from an inverted pyramid, where a smaller number of players buy large amounts of plex, and sell them on market.

Who exactly constitutes this small number of people who buy large amounts of PLEX from outside game?

Im unsure of your meaning here.
unidenify
Deaf Armada
#52 - 2014-03-11 16:24:34 UTC
Beekeeper Bob wrote:
Can't believe that people think that plex should be available to a new player easily.

Plex was designed specifically to keep players in the game long-term. As you progress in the game, gain the tools, and understand how to generate optimal cashflow, it becomes easier to plex accounts. It was never meant to be for everyone, it just won't work that way.

CCP wants the price of plex to rise, right now they generate cash from an inverted pyramid, where a smaller number of players buy large amounts of plex, and sell them on market. When you depend on a small group to support your business, any loss of those players will have a much larger negative cashflow effect.

This is also why PTW is coming. I wonder how much Officer mods will sell for in Aurum...Cool

better loose up your tin hat. I think it strangle your brain from air it need.
BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#53 - 2014-03-11 16:27:27 UTC  |  Edited by: BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie
Tyburn Stannis wrote:
I Love Boobies wrote:

I

If, as a responsible adult, money is so tight that you can't afford a tenner a month for a leisure activity but you're so addicted you can't stop playing, not sure giving finance lectures and life advice is your forté...

o/

That's unnecessary. Some people have different priorities when it comes to gaming. I would quit before attempting to farm in-game to pay for accounts, but some people actually enjoy it. Have a little respect.

Also, Mrs. Love: I sincerely doubt that there are nearly as many kids playing this game as you make there out to be. Some of us are responsible adults and use our own paychecks to pay for subscriptions.

Beekeeper Bob wrote:

Plex was designed to fulfill a demand, and is not targeted towards a specific group, but rather the player base as a whole. The market prices keep plex out of the hands of brand new players, but that doesn't mean they can't be buying plex in game after two months or so. There was a demand from some players to not have to pay for the game, and there was a demand from others for the ability to buy isk with real money. Plex fulfills both of these demands. Attempting to claim that it is "targeted" towards a specific group makes you look like an elitist.

Founder of Violet Squadron, a small gang NPSI community! Mail me for more information.

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie's Space Mediation Service!

Zifrian
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#54 - 2014-03-11 16:51:26 UTC
Batelle wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Jurou Yuan wrote:

So pay with plex? Can't afford too? Nobody else's problem but your own.

Wrong. If the price is exorbitantly high, and people start closing all their extra accounts, and CCP has to consider shutting down operations and the game itself, yes, it then is your problem indeed.

People closing their (extra) accounts that were already paid with PLEX doesn't immediately hurt CCP's bottom line. CCP doesn't feel that pain unless the price of PLEX drops enough to cause a reduction in the rate at which people are buying PLEX with cash. Its kind of a beautiful system. Now, if people are closing their mains and leaving the game entirely over a temporary price spike, then THAT is certainly a problem.

Exactly.

Jesus, people really don't understand basic economics do they? It is a beautiful system. But one of the great things about it is that it doesn't rely on people having to understand it to work and complaining on the forums has little effect on price.Thank god.

Maximze your Industry Potential! - Download EVE Isk per Hour!

Import CCP's SDE - EVE SDE Database Builder

Rainbow Dash
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2014-03-11 16:51:53 UTC
Seven Koskanaiken wrote:

The question is, who are suckers buying rip off plex from CCP when Battleclinic does 60 day ETCs for 34.99 USD.....

CCP sells 2 plex for 34.99 USD through their store. Don't see how that would make anyone a sucker.

Also, if you can't afford to spend $15 a month on a video game and live in a first-world country, you don't qualify as a responsible adult.
Jynxx Dragon
Lets Be Bad Guys
#56 - 2014-03-11 16:53:27 UTC
Beekeeper Bob wrote:

As a new player it was pretty easy for me to get a PLEX. I went to the account page and ordered one.
Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#57 - 2014-03-11 17:16:24 UTC
Rainbow Dash wrote:
Seven Koskanaiken wrote:

CCP sells 2 plex for 34.99 USD through their store. Don't see how that would make anyone a sucker.

Also, if you can't afford to spend $15 a month on a video game and live in a first-world country, you don't qualify as a responsible adult.

Store is showing 29.99 GBP = 49.86 USD for me.

http://i.gyazo.com/11d2c20e12173c0cca87c0f1d846ca98.png
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#58 - 2014-03-11 17:17:45 UTC
Knights Armament wrote:
Jurou Yuan wrote:
Knights Armament wrote:
I just don't see the point in allowing plex prices to climb un-regulated, your average 2 month old character isn't going to spend 2.5 billion on a plex.

They can just pay with money then. Paying with plex is a option not a right.

You're right paying with money might be cheaper in the long run, it would also probably be cheaper to just uninstall the game and play something else. Roll

serious answer: if you cannot afford 15 USD/EUR a month for some computer game you better spend your REAL time making REAL money and not grave yourself in virtual world

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Good Posting
Doomheim
#59 - 2014-03-11 17:19:48 UTC
I don't like the current Plex price either but for me is still a better option than paying real life cash (2 accounts).
Yeah, i know that eve is cheap but i don't live in a first world country. Some friends are working abroad in supposed first world countries and they earn less than me so i don't know what is a real first world country, honestly. Maybe Iceland, Norway and all that, but certainly not Europe west, where i live.

ViolentDesire
#60 - 2014-03-11 17:24:24 UTC
It seems there is an effort to shift the purpose of plex to something other than actual game time (multi training queue, magazine sub(?), painted ships). This is some kind of indirect microtransaction thing going on here.

Why would I want to pay real money for this game? Is PvE good? No. Is PvP good? Yes, but generally hard to find. Low sec is dead outside of FW and null is pretty empty. There are annoying bugs that should be easy to fix but have been around for years. Industry is just painful.

Ultimately, every million that goes into plex is one less million that goes into PvP.