These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

FONT

First post
Author
Nalia White
Tencus
#41 - 2011-11-29 20:31:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Nalia White
i don't know how you even can say the new font is much more readable. you don't see dots at all. everything is clustered together due to it's size. stacked items in inventory are absolutely horrible to read... the ammunition count in the mods section is also very unreadable.

granted, for poor eyes it may be much more readable now like the guy said he can now read it even without glasses (btw i would wear the glasses still else you will hurt your eyes even more...)

and it's just pure ugly... now i live also in the philosophy "function before looks" but i find this new font to be both: bad looking AND worse to read... you even have to enlarge the chat window by factor 2 that it becomes readable...

and sorry i would have said something earlier but i was busy playing the game. i play actively since like 3 months and i have still so much to explore i wouldn't even know why i should play on a test server...

edit: i play on 1920x1200 windowed, on my second monitor there is another instance of eve running in 1280x1024, there the new font's are kind of ok as it is farther away from my head to the side but for my main screen it's just Ugh

Syndicate - K5-JRD

Home to few, graveyard for many

My biggest achievement

Mal Darkrunner
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#42 - 2011-11-29 20:33:32 UTC
Quote:
New font is a million times better than the old one, it's crisp, legible and very easy on the eyes.

Um, not on my screen.

Standard 17" monitor, 1280x1024

The new font is way too crowded (set on 100%). It's ok for headings or single lines of text, but anyhwere with multiple lines or lots of paragraphs (e.g. chat channels or show-info windows) looks is pretty unreadable.

Give us the old one back please!
Aphoxema G
Khushakor Clan
#43 - 2011-11-29 20:33:37 UTC
TuonelanOrja wrote:
New font is fine. ******* whiners, you know where the door is..

That is never an acceptable response when their wallet is just as meaningful as yours.

However, though I haven't seen it on Tranquility yet I was very pleased with the font regardless of UI scaling on Singularity.
Charlie Jacobson
#44 - 2011-11-29 20:34:06 UTC
Zanthosistine wrote:
Comments about how this looks "on your machine" would be a LOT more useful if you would care to take a moment to mention what hardware and graphics settings you are using.

This is how it looks on my rig at 1920x1080, high graphics, but no AA, with a UI scale of 110%: http://i.imgur.com/W4JpI.png
I use a 23,6" LED monitor and the size is just right. I have perfect vision and do not require glasses.
Atridies
Aphro Spaceships
#45 - 2011-11-29 20:34:34 UTC
Personally, I hate the new font. I had the old font for 8 years and, it's not so much that theres something wrong with this font, its just that there was nothing wrong with the old font. At least we deserve the option to choose, it has such a huge impact on the game and has completely ruined my overview (atleast for the time being).

Lots of lovely graphical changes (which really are quite something), tarnished by this horrible font.

Either give us a choice, or give us the old font back.

And pinning windows. I liked pinning windows.

AT
Tanya Powers
Doomheim
#46 - 2011-11-29 20:38:38 UTC
My ships super computers like it, much better than facecrap fonts !

H3llHound
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#47 - 2011-11-29 20:41:03 UTC
I do like the new font but I have two issues with it.

1. The decimal points or fullstops are not visible. Seems to me they are exactly one pixel in size

2. The spaces between individual numbers lookes funny. They are not all the same.
Vin Ott
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#48 - 2011-11-29 20:42:31 UTC
CCP Navigator wrote:
It is currently not possible to toggle between the new font and the old one. While we appreciate that this is something a lot of people are asking for, it simply cannot be done in the current font rendering system.

Make a new one then -_-
Archa4 Badasaz
Vangazhi
#49 - 2011-11-29 20:47:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Archa4 Badasaz
I hate this Font big time.
I don't know what it is, but my eyes just hurt, if i look at it for more then 10sec...
Why can't there be an option to choose atleast new or old font?

Or if it not possible to make this option - just make a vote on forum keep the new font or get the old one back...
Dewgong
Order of the Black Dagger
#50 - 2011-11-29 20:48:39 UTC
Honestly I prefer the old font (as for the old font being unreadable, once or twice the I or l or the O or 0 threw you off, but there was hardly a problem outside of that). The new one is alright once you make it smaller (you know, the lowercase a near the upper left corner of a window instead of the option in the esc menu) but overall it feels outdated and like a step backwards. It'll be fine after a while and people get used to it, but it'd be nice to have an option (or an option for users to use whatever font they have in their system's font folders)

Font wasn't really broken to begin with, could've been better, could've been worse, no real complaint.
Tore Vest
#51 - 2011-11-29 20:50:28 UTC
Font looks fine for me

No troll.

Archa4 Badasaz
Vangazhi
#52 - 2011-11-29 20:54:31 UTC
Charlie Jacobson wrote:
Zanthosistine wrote:
Comments about how this looks "on your machine" would be a LOT more useful if you would care to take a moment to mention what hardware and graphics settings you are using.

This is how it looks on my rig at 1920x1080, high graphics, but no AA, with a UI scale of 110%: http://i.imgur.com/W4JpI.png
I use a 23,6" LED monitor and the size is just right. I have perfect vision and do not require glasses.

What the hell???
On mine it looks completely different:
1024x768, windowed, low graphics UI scale 100%
http://i.imgur.com/4PHAa.jpg
mkint
#53 - 2011-11-29 20:56:45 UTC
Dewgong wrote:
Honestly I prefer the old font (as for the old font being unreadable, once or twice the I or l or the O or 0 threw you off, but there was hardly a problem outside of that). The new one is alright once you make it smaller (you know, the lowercase a near the upper left corner of a window instead of the option in the esc menu) but overall it feels outdated and like a step backwards. It'll be fine after a while and people get used to it, but it'd be nice to have an option (or an option for users to use whatever font they have in their system's font folders)

Font wasn't really broken to begin with, could've been better, could've been worse, no real complaint.

I think this is a real serious problem with the client, that it does not seem to take advantage of the basic functionality os's provide by default. Eve can't use custom fonts because it is essentially a whole os in itself. That means poor ui performance, duplicated efforts, and primitive functionality.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Tanya Powers
Doomheim
#54 - 2011-11-29 20:59:03 UTC
I guess you guys need to take off your sunglasses or stop being drunk or smoking weed when you play Lol

Seems most problems come from you GC settings because just like Archa looks great for me, much better than old one.
Archa4 Badasaz
Vangazhi
#55 - 2011-11-29 21:03:47 UTC
Tanya Powers wrote:
I guess you guys need to take off your sunglasses or stop being drunk or smoking weed when you play Lol

Seems most problems come from you GC settings because just like Archa looks great for me, much better than old one.

Another problem:
what is with ammo indicator? how the hell is this better then the old one?

Most of things i read are the chat and reading in this font is really problematic...

IMG:
http://i.imgur.com/2yRG3.jpg
Aldan Romar
Doomheim
#56 - 2011-11-29 21:09:40 UTC
At 100% the new font is terrible, at 90% everything looks fine. I never had any problems with the old font, but I only have an 11" screen. I can understand that people with several square meters and the accompanying resolutions had problems with legibility.

Only thing that bugs me is the size of some distinct entries. I'm feeling the coloured sec-status numbers are dominating my whole screen - it's haunting...
Razin
The Scope
#57 - 2011-11-29 21:11:37 UTC
Archa4 Badasaz wrote:
Charlie Jacobson wrote:
Zanthosistine wrote:

What the hell???
On mine it looks completely different:
1024x768, windowed, low graphics UI scale 100%
http://i.imgur.com/4PHAa.jpg

WTF are you on?? Those are identical except for the 10% size difference.
Spc One
The Chodak
Void Alliance
#58 - 2011-11-29 21:12:05 UTC
Nalia White wrote:
pls add at least an option to choose or if that's not possible change it back, ty.

you don't see decimals at all and everything looks like ms-dos 20 years ago...

Yes.
Please CCP, add options.
1. New font
2. Old font

principle is the same as with ship spinning.
1. Ship spinning
2. Captain quarters.
Archa4 Badasaz
Vangazhi
#59 - 2011-11-29 21:16:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Archa4 Badasaz
WTF are you on?
Now tell me here is no difference:
http://i.imgur.com/7Hh3a.jpg

The RMB menu i can read no problems, it's nice and wide.
But in the overview the letters are so condensed, that is very hard to read it.
My main problem with the font it's very condensed. I looks like the normal font was streched vertically...
Vin Ott
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#60 - 2011-11-29 21:17:37 UTC
How come ccp decided to change the font?

I never really got that, the old one was perfect no problems reading of any kind, if you did you should've bought reading classes or what ever.

This just doesn't make much sense screwing up Eve online even more!