These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Amarr and Guristas

First post
Author
Angus McLean
Militia Federation
#1 - 2014-03-10 19:02:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Angus McLean
- I am ratting Guristas (currently this is my only option)
- I can fly any Amarr sub-cap
- I am fully skilled in gunnery (lasers only), missile and drone skills are semi lacking
- I can also fly almost any Caldari ships sub-BS (including Command Ships etc)

What are my best options for ratting Guristas? I can't effectively do kinetic damage since my missile skills aren't top knotch. I can use T2 lasers and T2 launchers, but my gunnery skills are 2-3x more effective.

What ships could I use?

I have an Absolution fit I think may work, 760 dps guns and 92% kinetic resists. Will Amarr ships be so miserably slow at ratting Guristas that ill pull my hair out?

Just looking for some suggestions. I appreciate any time taken to respond.

Edit: Minor corrections
Meiyang Lee
Game Instrument Applications
#2 - 2014-03-10 19:17:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Meiyang Lee
well, last I checked the Elite opponents for Guristas can have as much as 90% EM resistance, so you'll be pounding on them quite a while with lasers, though you can speed it up considerably if you use a crystal that's relatively high on Thermal damage (as their resists are far more reasonable there).

Conflageration Pulse crystals and Gleam Beam crystals both have substantial amounts of thermal damage (50% of the total), the rest is a little lacking, with EM always the majority damage.

Support those with Thermal damage based drones (as their DPS is a lot higher than the Kinetic equivalent) and it'll probably be doable, though probably not optimal.

Investing time in improving your missile skills will certainly pay off in the long run, so perhaps do that while you make the best of it with lasers until your missiles can catch up?
Angus McLean
Militia Federation
#3 - 2014-03-10 19:26:27 UTC
Meiyang Lee wrote:
well, last I checked the Elite opponents for Guristas can have as much as 90% EM resistance, so you'll be pounding on them quite a while with lasers, though you can speed it up considerably if you use a crystal that's relatively high on Thermal damage (as their resists are far more reasonable there).

Conflageration Pulse crystals and Gleam Beam crystals both have substantial amounts of thermal damage (50% of the total), the rest is a little lacking, with EM always the majority damage.

Support those with Thermal damage based drones (as their DPS is a lot higher than the Kinetic equivalent) and it'll probably be doable, though probably not optimal.

Investing time in improving your missile skills will certainly pay off in the long run, so perhaps do that while you make the best of it with lasers until your missiles can catch up?

The conflag suggestion was noted. I like that, and I hadn't considered that. Ill be sure to bring a bucket load down. I plan on shipping a large pile of conflag and lasers, and also a few drakes and maybe a Cerberus, just to test out as my missile skills improve. I can use T2 launchers but the missile support skills are slightly lacking. On a drake, with my skills I am missing out on 50-80dps compared to level 5 skills across the board. On the Cerberus I am missing out on nearly 100-120 paper dps.

I will bring thermal drones as well. Im currently training my missile skills because I want to become more proficient in some of my favorite ships which are now missile boats (Sacrilege, Damnation etc), so that will come slowly.

I also have a question regarding resistances and active armor tanking rats. My absolution would have 92% kinetic resists and 75% thermal. Is that good enough, or should I balance out them both at around 85%? Im assuming kinetic is their main damage type by a large majority, so mathematically im guessing the 92% will pay off more?
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#4 - 2014-03-10 19:35:18 UTC
Angus McLean wrote:
- I am fully skilled in gunnery (lasers only), missile and drone skills are semi lacking

What are my best options for ratting Guristas? I can't effectively do kinetic damage since my missile skills aren't top knotch. I can use T2 lasers and T2 launchers, but my gunnery skills are 2-3x more effective.

What ships could I use?

I have an Absolution fit I think may work, 760 dps guns and 92% kinetic resists. Will Amarr ships be so miserably slow at ratting Guristas that ill pull my hair out?

Are your drone skills good?

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Angus McLean
Militia Federation
#5 - 2014-03-10 19:39:06 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Angus McLean wrote:

What ships could I use?

Are your drone skills good?

Drone skills are basically level 4 across the board, give or take a few. I can use T2 mediums and lights moderately well. But drone-centric combat ships I am not so good with. The DPS gap between my skills and level 5 is pretty hefty on a Pilgrim or Prophecy.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#6 - 2014-03-10 19:50:24 UTC
BTW if you're genuinely ratting, as in belt ratting, and you can fly every Amarr ship, then you can fly a Purifier. Train Caldari Frigate V and then you'll find a Manticore works extremely well for Guristas belt ratting:

[Manticore, Belt Ratter]
Ballistic Control System II
Ballistic Control System II

1MN Afterburner II
Small Clarity Ward Booster I
Dread Guristas Kinetic Deflection Field
Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron

Torpedo Launcher II, Caldari Navy Scourge Torpedo
Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
Salvager I

Small Warhead Rigor Catalyst II
Small Processor Overclocking Unit I

Watch out for those damb rat destroyers btw. They'll murder you if they get close.

A set of 3% missile implants really helps this ship shine. You'll be blapping BCs with 1 volley, and usually the cruisers with 1- 2. While you're afterburning, the BS won't do much damage to you at all.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Darvanile
Access--Denied
#7 - 2014-03-10 20:08:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Darvanile
At great risk of being crucified by the PVE lords of the forums, I am going to recommend a few lesser known options to you, which have and still do work quite effectively for me. Although I rarely mission or rat anymore, occasionally I have a mind to solo an l4 or two.

Firstly, and most people will scream bullshit at this, though I can assure you it is not.
The Damnation. With your command ship skill at Level 5 (which is a long shot since few people have it past 4) and a decent amount of SP into HAM's, the damnation can easily pull over 700dps with access to multiple damage types, perhaps closer to 800. It boasts a formidable amount of cap, allowing you to MWD into any range you desire, and its tank is nothing to scoff at either. I have found that I have been able to solo all but 1 l4 with relative ease and even in this particular 1, I still managed. The damnation is an often overlooked ship outside of large scale pvp fleets, and because of this you wont hear to much about it. Give it a shot and you will not regret it.

Secondly, look towards the armageddon. Getting minimal skills into torpedos and focusing on drones is not a bad route to go for any amarr pilot. This form of skilling also transfers very will into pvp with ships like the curse , prophecy , and arbitrator. The armageddon also will allow for multiple damage types via its drone bonuses and unbonused torps.

Last but not least, consider the afterburning HAM legion. I really enjoy this ship, and the versatility of a t3 allows you to basically do whatever you want with it. I think a lot of people dislike this ship for all the wrong reasons, and it gives it a bad name. The reality is, this ship is a very common sight in EVE for good reason. Look at speed tanking it rather than going for the full on armor buffer. With proper subsystems it will reach nasty speeds while maintaining our target dps, which for a ship of this size would be 700-800 ( the same as our damnation).

Unfortunately, no matter what anyone says, lasers are just not going to cut it vs Guristas as well as even minimal drone or HAM skills will. I personally feel you will have an easier time grinding up l4s in another more amarr friendly region, or skilling for my suggestions than you will trying to make isk with lasers. However if you do not want to change for your environment, I recommend incursions, they are profitable and will allow you to stay stubborn.
Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#8 - 2014-03-10 20:31:41 UTC
Darvanile wrote:
Firstly, and most people will scream bullshit at this, though I can assure you it is not.
The Damnation. With your command ship skill at Level 5 (which is a long shot since few people have it past 4) and a decent amount of SP into HAM's, the damnation can easily pull over 700dps with access to multiple damage types, perhaps closer to 800. It boasts a formidable amount of cap, allowing you to MWD into any range you desire, and its tank is nothing to scoff at either. I have found that I have been able to solo all but 1 l4 with relative ease and even in this particular 1, I still managed. The damnation is an often overlooked ship outside of large scale pvp fleets, and because of this you wont hear to much about it. Give it a shot and you will not regret it.

Sigh. I don't want to be the one to make your prophecy come true... but what the hell fit are you working with that pushes 700 DPS? If you're including drones, a 3 DG/CN BCU+BLA II fit with rage HAMs and a full flight of Vespa IIs gets you... ok, that's exactly 700 DPS with my skills, 715 with all 5s. That's damage out to 25.3km. I suppose you could argue for a two slot tank and put in a DDA and hit 748 with all 5s under perfect conditions to battleships within range.

More realistically, you're looking at double range rigging and foregoing that DDA. Hell, you probably shouldn't be counting drones as main damage, but whatever, we'll keep them for the sake of argument. 672 -- still with drones -- firing rage missiles to 36.5 km isn't too shabby, but I'm not sure it's ideal either.

Having said all that.... yeah, sure, a Damnation is an option if you have solid -- really solid -- missiles skills. But let's not make up numbers, shall we?
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#9 - 2014-03-10 21:13:13 UTC
prophecy, geddon.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Dalts
Out of Focus
Odin's Call
#10 - 2014-03-10 21:34:08 UTC
Don't do it to yourself ratting with laser ships in Gurista space. I remember long ago when I moved there I started using my Absolution (near max skilled) and was bored to tears. Someone came to help out in an Ishtar and I nearly cried with sadness at just how much quicker it was at clearing stuff than my Absolution.

Fast forward a few years and I can fly anything sub cap at lvl 5 for any race, mostly because of how annoyed I was then!

Manticore as posted is a good ratting fit and easy to get into. For anoms I'm wondering if you have BC lvl 5 from before the changes, if so then look for Naga fits with Meta guns may be an option until you train something more appropriate (Ishtar rules) or as you say a Cerb would work ok.
Angus McLean
Militia Federation
#11 - 2014-03-10 22:08:36 UTC
Dalts wrote:
Don't do it to yourself ratting with laser ships in Gurista space. I remember long ago when I moved there I started using my Absolution (near max skilled) and was bored to tears. Someone came to help out in an Ishtar and I nearly cried with sadness at just how much quicker it was at clearing stuff than my Absolution.

Fast forward a few years and I can fly anything sub cap at lvl 5 for any race, mostly because of how annoyed I was then!

Manticore as posted is a good ratting fit and easy to get into. For anoms I'm wondering if you have BC lvl 5 from before the changes, if so then look for Naga fits with Meta guns may be an option until you train something more appropriate (Ishtar rules) or as you say a Cerb would work ok.

I have had both BC level 5 and CS level 5 since before the patch, so multiracial BC 5 across the board.
Prophecy, Armageddon, Manticore are all solid choices so far. I appreciate the input along the way.

Here's a question:
Would I be better off in an Amarr ship with 750+ dps
Or a 420 dps Drake that can use Scourge?

I appreciate all the input so far. I will start making purchases for freight jumping down there based on the suggestions given.

xHxHxAOD
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2014-03-10 22:17:36 UTC
u could try a rokh maybe even meta fit should work or sentry geddon maybe
Jacob Holland
Weyland-Vulcan Industries
#13 - 2014-03-11 13:41:43 UTC
Angus McLean wrote:
[quote=Dalts]Here's a question:
Would I be better off in an Amarr ship with 750+ dps
Or a 420 dps Drake that can use Scourge?

Looking at EVE Info I'm showing the following resists for the Guristas Eliminator:
EM Resist - 74%
Kinetic Resist - 44%
Thermal Resist - 54%

Your Drake would therefore be doing approximately 235 DPS after the target's resists. Meanwhile your Amarr ship, running Scorch for 18% Thermal and 82% EM and pumping out 750 DPS (to start with), would be doing approximately 160 EM and 60 Thermal DPS after resists, for a total of 220.
Pushing your Thermal profile higher will make the task easier, and swing things in the Amarr ship's favour but it takes quite a lot to beat the pure kinetic in the resist hole that the Drake can put out.