These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Technology Lab

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE Sans Neue

Author
Reiisha
#1 - 2014-03-08 14:50:00 UTC
So, there's this EVE font used in the ingame client. It's in a couple of .otf files in resui00.stuff.

Question is, is it allowed to use the font outside of EVE? Is there a license attached to it or is it closed source proprietary? I'd love to use this in a Linux install as the default font (yes, boo and stuff), but i'm not sure whether it's allowed. Eventually this might go into a new distribution, if allowed...

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Fortune Taker
#2 - 2014-03-08 19:57:52 UTC
personal use, while probably not exactly legal, is probably ok, what are they going to do? come into your home and look at your computer?

as for distribution? yea, i wouldn't do that, that is getting into fuzzy legal territory
Reiisha
#3 - 2014-03-08 20:50:53 UTC
Too bad. My better half is a linux 'hobbyist' and is building a distro specifically for an eeepc ive got lying around. Would have been cool to have it somewhat eve-themed, but as its a minimal install the font would be quite a big part of it :)

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Fortune Taker
#4 - 2014-03-08 22:08:58 UTC
well... unless CCP says it is ok, I wouldn't do it.

You could however get a close font and avid enthusiasts could figure out a way to get the font ;)

I personally would love a Eve themed distro :)

I do seam to remember a thread where someone asked about what the font was or the closest match, A Dev responded with a font, however I do not remember who, or what the font was :(
I think it was within a year of when it went live on TQ